PDA

View Full Version : Korin Exclusive Togiharus

mr drinky
03-23-2012, 02:07 PM
What's up with these spendy Togiharus from Korin (http://korin.com/Knives/Togiharu_5)?

Here's the description from the site:

"Togiharu Limited Edition knives are hand forged in Seki City by Hiromune Takaba, a renowned cutlery master. Takaba-san is most known for his katana, which typically sell for upwards of $20,000. The handles are crafted from a variety of materials including petrified wood, stag antler and mammoth tusk by Koji Hara. Hara-san is one of the top knife craftsmen in Japan."

And the prices are from $1,660 to $2,600. If you go to GILT Taste (http://www.gilttaste.com/market/equipment/knives) Korin sells a couple of Togiharu sujis with stag antler and petrified wood handles.

k.

Salty dog
03-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Personally speaking, I'm leary of these knives.

Dave Martell
03-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Are these just regular knives with a handle upgrade?

Eamon Burke
03-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Good lord. A mystery steel(let's just be nice and say it has a FABULOUS HT), a pinned bolster, and a curly maple handle. All for the low price of a used car.
W.
T.
F.

GlassEye
03-23-2012, 03:22 PM
I have never seen a good deal from GILT Taste. Also see no reason for those to be so highly priced.

Johnny.B.Good
03-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Pretty, but I think I'll pass.

JasonD
03-23-2012, 04:48 PM
What a funky handle... Western style by the bolster and then it's like they slapped a Wa style handle on the back end. I guess they'll say it feels better to hold that way, but man is it ugly (imo).

Johnny.B.Good
03-23-2012, 04:52 PM
What a funky handle... Western style by the bolster and then it's like they slapped a Wa style handle on the back end. I guess they'll say it feels better to hold that way, but man is it ugly (imo).

I didn't even notice that!

I retract my praise from earlier.

Pass.

mr drinky
03-23-2012, 05:43 PM
I have never seen a good deal from GILT Taste.

You are correct on that. GILT Taste always has the same price as you can get everywhere else. I just noted it here because they had two versions of the exclusive knives that weren't listed on the Korin site.

k.

aaronsgibson
03-23-2012, 05:51 PM
OK. So for the price of TWO Masamoto Honyakis and more than enough cash left over to get a few nice stones or one really kick-ass natural? I'm sorry but can't really see how different they are so I also would pass. Nice though.

mhlee
03-23-2012, 06:46 PM
I think I got one of the few exceptions to this. I got a $50 gift certificate at LaFrieda meats for $25 through Gilt Taste.

Burgers, Prime Aged NY Steaks and Bacon were delivered today. :dance:

You are correct on that. GILT Taste always has the same price as you can get everywhere else. I just noted it here because they had two versions of the exclusive knives that weren't listed on the Korin site.

k.