PDA

View Full Version : Ivory Chop sticks!!!

HHH Knives
03-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Yep, I had a request for a set of Mammoth ivory chop sticks. Thinkin this would be just too cool. I had to give it a try.

There amazing, The pictures dont show the grain in the ivory. Its very distinctive and quite amazing to look at. Ill try and get some better photos tomorrow in natural light.

Heres a few photos.

As always comment or critiques welcomed!
God Bless
Randy

The hekler
03-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Well they are certainly special, when I saw the post I was expecting ivory handled Damascus chopsticks, or Damascus handled ivory chopsticks both of which I think would be stunning but these are much more elegant. I don't know if I would ever do 4 pairs but a single nice set of chopsticks would be nice to own, somebody is gonna have a great conversation piece.

mattrud
03-26-2012, 01:15 AM
Nice! I want. Really elegant I have to say.

ecchef
03-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Absolutely beautiful Randy. Understated elegance.
They could use more taper and a pointier end to be more useful though.

Keith Neal
03-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Absolutely beautiful Randy. Understated elegance.
They could use more taper and a pointier end to be more useful though.

Absolutely stunning, Randy. I agree with more taper and pointier tip.

HHH Knives
03-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks guys, These were the prototypes. and I left them a little thicker until I seen how the ivory was going to act after setting for 12 hrs.. Ivory like wood and other materials sometimes will move and shift. So I was giving myself room for small adjustments if necessary.

The cool thing is, because of my many years experience with this stuff. and knowing how to cut the ivory where it would work for these.. Cutting pieces from a round, curved, cracked 10,000++ year old fossil tusk that are straight and solid and 10" long was a challenge to say the least.

After setting overnight, these didnt move a bit! :) So I intend to thin and taper the tips a bit more. shooting for about 2mm. at the tip. More photos to come of a set of these. in natural light, and some end views, tip views etc.

HHH Knives
03-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Well they are certainly special, when I saw the post I was expecting ivory handled Damascus chopsticks, or Damascus handled ivory chopsticks both of which I think would be stunning but these are much more elegant. I don't know if I would ever do 4 pairs but a single nice set of chopsticks would be nice to own, somebody is gonna have a great conversation piece.

Hmmmm, Damascus and Ivory combinations may also be VERY cool!! I may be persuaded to make a few more sets. But have ideas of making a couple sets that are stabilized burl wood an ivory combined.

ThEoRy
03-26-2012, 10:57 AM
I don't know if this would work on ivory but is it possible to leave the tip section a bit roughed for added gripping texture?

HHH Knives
03-26-2012, 11:51 AM
I don't know if this would work on ivory but is it possible to leave the tip section a bit roughed for added gripping texture?

I dont know, I have seen chop sticks that had a couple of grooves cut in them near the tip. is this what you mean?

HHH Knives
03-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Here are a few more pictures with the tips thinned a bit.. :)

DeepCSweede
03-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Those look really good Randy - Nice job.

don
03-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Wow. That's quite decadent.

HHH Knives
03-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Thank you guys for the comments. Im sure these will be used and loved.. :)

If anyone is interested in getting a set, feel free to contact me. I have just a little more of this awesome ivory that is large enough and solid enough to make these.

God Bless YA

Taz575
03-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Man, that must have been a PITA to get 10" of solid ivory like that and cut those out! They look great! I could see a burl wood handle end, going into a damascus mid part of the stick and the ivory point, that would be the best of all 3 worlds!!

HHH Knives
03-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Taz, Your RIGHT!! It was a challenge to cut the ivory to get pieces that were not only this long, But composed of the same layer of ivory.
Ivory seems to grow in layers that are for lack of a better way to describe it.. Cone shaped, and stacked on top of one another. The trick here was to first have a piece from a tusk large enough that the cone was at least 10" long. and second that that layer was thick enough and solid to cut and then make each stick.

The heart breaker for me is the amount of cut off material/scrap from each chop stick. I had to cut away at least twice as much material some from both sides of the slices to stay within the solid layer I was talking about. Leaving me with a PILE of cut off materials that are not large enough or suitable for much. :( not even more chopsticks.. lol

OK so Yea. Its was a PITA.. But the end result, was these amazing chopsticks and a very happy customer!! So It was worth it!!! :) I sure am having a blast, This was a fun challenge.. Its a KNIFE LIFE!

I may consider making some other chop sticks. if there is enough of a call for them to make it worth doing.

Taz575
03-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Yeah, it may be easier to do a damascus or metal rod, and the tips and end ivory or something like that. Much less waste at least!

Eamon Burke
03-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Can't you take the scraps, grind them into dust and make a phenolic resin with them? Might give cool results. It'd save the scraps anyways.

Luke_G
03-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Never seen somthing comparable :bigeek:
Amazing work :doublethumbsup:

HHH Knives
03-26-2012, 06:14 PM
Eamon, Im thinking I may use the cut offs by casting them into a jet black resin. making a mosaic block of random shapes in beaded in the black background. Might make some cool looking knife scales!! :) or ferules.. I have seen someone that already makes stuff like this.. I also do inlay work.. So some of the pieces could be used as a inlay.. Most likely. I will add them to my box of cut off ivory pieces. lol :D

WildBoar
03-26-2012, 06:16 PM
Randy, how are you progressing on the ivory wok?

HHH Knives
03-26-2012, 06:27 PM
:nutskick::ignore:

Randy, how are you progressing on the ivory wok?

:surrendar:

WildBoar
03-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Haha, finally found your limits :bliss:

For a while I was worried you may not have any.

HHH Knives
03-26-2012, 06:41 PM
David, I sure am having fun testing the boundaries!! :spin chair:

Taz575
03-26-2012, 08:07 PM
I thought it was a Damascus Wok??? With an Ivory handle :)

RRLOVER
03-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Those are beautiful!! I think a SS dammy tip would make them over the top.

ThEoRy
03-26-2012, 10:11 PM
I dont know, I have seen chop sticks that had a couple of grooves cut in them near the tip. is this what you mean?

I have some nice wooden sticks that the tips are textured like sandpaper almost so they grip food better. Kinda cool idea that works fairly well.

HHH Knives
03-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Mario, That would be cool. Im looking into making a take down set. where I can have ivory tips and burl or damascus tops. Maybe a classy carry case included etc. :)

ThEoRy. I see what ya mean. I did not do that on these. But if someone requested it. I could easily do so.

HHH Knives
03-29-2012, 10:25 AM
WHOOT !!!!!!

The sticks made it safe and sound to there new home, and the reports are. That they are awesome and work perfectly!!! Makes all the work and even the large pile of scrap all seem worth it!! :)

A special THANK YOU to all KKF members as well as Dave and the forum itself. You guys and this place ROCK.. and have become my all time favorite group of knife nuts and enablers!!!

God Bless YA

Keith Neal
04-01-2012, 11:53 AM
http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m580/nealkeith/chopstiacks.jpg

Randy, they are magnificent. I have used them a few times and they work perfectly. The finish is so smooth I thought they might be difficult to control, but that is not the case. They are just right, and being enjoyed! For the patina lovers, of which I am now a member, you can see a bit of "patina" on the shorter four chopsticks. They have been introduced to soy sauce, and have taken on a nice color. I intend to use them a lot, so the color is going to be part of the joy.

Randy, you da man! It is delightful working with you on these off-the-wall projects!

Keith

p.s. I'll work on my photography and see if I can't get some better photos.

HHH Knives
04-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Awesome news Keith! They look good with a little patina on them! Thanks for posting the photo and update! :)