PDA

View Full Version : WTT 10" Sab Nogent for a Daily User

Lefty
03-27-2012, 10:56 PM
Here it is, I have a great Sab Nogent that I just don't jive with. It's a great knife, and takes a nice edge, has that cool Sab feel and look, etc, but it's just not for me.
I'm looking to trade it for a knife that I can use in my yard, cutting twigs, digging, cutting out roots, shaving small bits of wood, cutting twine, and bags...you get the idea.
Keep in mind this knife is a limited stock item and the price is $100+. I'm honestly not dying to get rid of it, but I hate having it sit in a drawer!
I'm looking for a necker, or Spyderco anything heavy duty. I'll also seriously consider a nice Boker.
Let me know if anyone has anything interesting, and I'll happily take and post pictures tomorrow.
Oh yeah, Simpsons and Shavemac brushes also might catch my interest :)
Thanks guys!

Lefty
03-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Here's that pic I promised.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/Lefty-T/860258bf.jpg

It looks like I really lucked out with this trade. A better knife than I could've imagined seems like it'll be coming my way. I'm pumped!

Johnny.B.Good
03-28-2012, 05:32 PM
What's the trade Lefty?

Lefty
03-28-2012, 06:49 PM
It turns out our friend Mike Davis has been curious about Nogents, and felt like he could put something together for me that will more than do the trick! He's making a 6" necker out of 1084. I, in return am giving him the Sab and a player to be named later ;)
Needless to say, I can't friggin' wait! The design is even done ALREADY!

Johnny.B.Good
03-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

knyfeknerd
03-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Sweet sounds like a good deal. Just wondering, what's the handle on the sab made out of?

EdipisReks
03-28-2012, 07:15 PM
after seeing that pic, Lefty, i now understand why i've been having trouble with my nogent: the bolster on mine must be at least 2.5 times thicker than yours, front to back.

Lefty
03-28-2012, 07:22 PM
The handle is said to be made of ebony, but it could be blackwood. It's actually a nice handle.
Edipis-I took it to the grinder and did some modifications. I thinned the guard, took it up off the edge, rounded the edges on the guard itself AND cut it into the primary bevel angle. It's not perfect, but it was winter and my shop isn't heated! Haha

EdipisReks
03-28-2012, 07:26 PM
hah, a grinder would certainly have done it! i'm thinking of doing the same thing, though a dremel is all i have to work with. i have been working on it with a DMT coarse, but i just don't have the patience for it.

Johnny.B.Good
03-28-2012, 08:12 PM
I have been putting off trying to deal with that silly ridge at the heel of my Nogent, but it's going to have to go sooner or later.

Lefty
03-28-2012, 08:40 PM
I'd offer to do it, but I already have a member here's knife that i'm modding and I've had it for FAR TOO LONG! I'm glad he's a patient guy.

Lefty
03-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Johnny, here's another pic that will give you another/closer look at what I did. You can see how I evened things up and really just took a fair bit off all around.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/Lefty-T/d01d24d5.jpg

Johnny.B.Good
03-28-2012, 08:49 PM
I'd offer to do it, but I already have a member here's knife that i'm modding and I've had it for FAR TOO LONG! I'm glad he's a patient guy.

Thanks for the pic and the nice thought about doing it for me. I wasn't aware left handed people could be so kind and generous. ;)

Maybe I will just dive in and try to learn something from doing it myself. It wasn't terribly expensive (at least not compared to most of my collection), so if I screw it up too badly, I suppose I can just order another or ship it to a pro to bail me out.

labor of love
03-29-2012, 01:39 AM
excellent job on that finger guard Lefty! it should sharpen WAY better now!