View Full Version : Found knives, help identify?

03-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Hi all, I found 3 knives in the basement at the place I work. They originally were owned by my bosses brother. I have confirmed two are Masamotos the third I am not sure what it is. Can anyone identify it? Also I am curious as to the value of these knives. I know that Masamoto is a good knife, but I have no idea how old they are or if they would lose value if I were to have them refurbished. (one in particular is pretty beat up) Any thoughts or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and enjoy your day!

03-31-2012, 07:57 PM
Third knife is a sushikiri. Translates to: naka/masu/?/saku.
Naka + masu are the name of the maker & saku translates to 'made by'. The third kanji is unfamiliar. Could be the third part of the makers name or could be a descriptor for the 'made by'.
Hope that helps.

11-22-2012, 09:44 AM
I dont know, but I dig the cleaver and nakiri...bad habits are in my blood hehehehe. <scurries away to his cleaver collection>

11-23-2012, 10:54 AM
You've got a lot of work ahead of you to restore the knife that I like, in that collection. Actually, they all need a lot of work. Cool find, though.

11-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Are those not Masamoto kanji?

11-23-2012, 01:22 PM
the deba and usuba are masamoto

11-26-2012, 01:19 PM
It has to be a fairly old knife considering most Masamoto knives have say whether its from the Sohonten branch or Tsukiji branch... Probably before the two companies spit. I see a small round symbol under the Masamoto name. Could I ask you to take a picture of it? I'll ask Masamoto and see what I find out for you.

My goodness those are crazy looking knives. I'm sure whoever will refurbish them will have fun. lol

11-26-2012, 05:53 PM
Welcome to KKF!