PDA

View Full Version : Found knives, help identify?

bjohnan
03-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Hi all, I found 3 knives in the basement at the place I work. They originally were owned by my bosses brother. I have confirmed two are Masamotos the third I am not sure what it is. Can anyone identify it? Also I am curious as to the value of these knives. I know that Masamoto is a good knife, but I have no idea how old they are or if they would lose value if I were to have them refurbished. (one in particular is pretty beat up) Any thoughts or advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and enjoy your day!

ecchef
03-31-2012, 07:57 PM
Third knife is a sushikiri. Translates to: naka/masu/?/saku.
Naka + masu are the name of the maker & saku translates to 'made by'. The third kanji is unfamiliar. Could be the third part of the makers name or could be a descriptor for the 'made by'.
Hope that helps.

quantumcloud509
11-22-2012, 08:44 AM
I dont know, but I dig the cleaver and nakiri...bad habits are in my blood hehehehe. <scurries away to his cleaver collection>

Lefty
11-23-2012, 09:54 AM
You've got a lot of work ahead of you to restore the knife that I like, in that collection. Actually, they all need a lot of work. Cool find, though.

Seth
11-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Are those not Masamoto kanji?

JBroida
11-23-2012, 12:22 PM
the deba and usuba are masamoto

Korin_Mari
11-26-2012, 12:19 PM
It has to be a fairly old knife considering most Masamoto knives have say whether its from the Sohonten branch or Tsukiji branch... Probably before the two companies spit. I see a small round symbol under the Masamoto name. Could I ask you to take a picture of it? I'll ask Masamoto and see what I find out for you.

My goodness those are crazy looking knives. I'm sure whoever will refurbish them will have fun. lol

Jim
11-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Welcome to KKF!