PDA

View Full Version : Something different!

HHH Knives
04-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Hello and good day, I dont know what it would the profile would be considered. The blade is a High Carbon San Mai, Its a O-1 Core. damascus clading.

Thanks
Randy

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Knives/IMG_7728.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Knives/IMG_7725.jpg http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Knives/IMG_7719.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Knives/IMG_7748.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Knives/IMG_7730.jpghttp://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g428/HHHKnives/HHH%20Knives/IMG_7731.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always comments and critiques welcomed.

DarrenSwerid
04-05-2012, 03:54 PM
What kind of wood is that handle made out of Randy? It looks neat!

HHH Knives
04-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Darren, The handle is African Blackwood, Mammoth ivory spacer and stabilized quilted maple.

Mike Davis
04-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Looks cool Randy, not sure what it is, but it looks good :) Love the san mai!!!

HHH Knives
04-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Mike, It was a request from a friend. She drew the design after using my Nakiri. And basically wanted to tweek a few things, Nakiri style with a little more swoop for rocking.

Its sharp all the way to the tip. what a PITA that was on the stones. lol :) It feels good on the board. and Im sure she will get lots of use from it in her home. :)

The Edge
04-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Love the san mai! Very interesting profile. I love a good nakiri myself, though not sure I would find much use in the tip like that. Was thinking that that would be a cool butcher's knife, though I'm sure it might have to be a bit thicker. With that being said, a wonderful job all around.

WildBoar
04-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Love the san mai and the handle. As fas as the profile, it looks like a giant butter knife :eyebrow:

HHH Knives
04-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Dave, Thats just what it is!! :D A GIANT butter knife! with a silly sharp edge! The O-1 really took a great edge!! I see more O-1 core san mai in my future.

As to the knife profile.. When I was presented with the design, I was apprehensive about it. But after talking it through, looking at a few other Nakiri profiles.. They were sure this was what would work for her cutting style. There is a little more rock on the board then my last Nakiri. So its a bit less flat.

This was a fun project all in all. :) Im hoping to get some pictures of it after its built up a nice patina.. As well as a report to how the edge holds and overall performance.

HHH Knives
04-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Love the san mai! Very interesting profile. I love a good nakiri myself, though not sure I would find much use in the tip like that. Was thinking that that would be a cool butcher's knife, though I'm sure it might have to be a bit thicker. With that being said, a wonderful job all around.

Thanks Taylor. I would have to agree totally that the tip wont be getting much or any use. lol As long as shes happy. Im happy. :)

Candlejack
04-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Absolutely stunning, the cladding looks almost like a map.
And that handle. God.

99Limited
04-05-2012, 06:11 PM
That's a cool looking knife. I'm always up for learning something new. Why don't you see if the new owners will do a video of them using the tip in their work so we can understand their design.

The hekler
04-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Stunning, the San Mai is a work of art and the handle is flawless. The profile? Well like you said it was a custom order so if that's what she wanted she should be estatic. Hell if I had a knife that well executed in my kit I'd find ways to make it work cause it sure is a beauty.

Eamon Burke
04-05-2012, 09:51 PM
It's interesting indeed, and making me stare at it.

The handle is marvelous, and so is the cladding.

If someone other than you and your son had made this knife, I would probably hate it on sight. For some reason I don't hate it. It is making me re-evaluate my qualitative prejudices, and making me consider if there is some sort of cyclical process of making and unmaking designs, even by thoughtful makers, and what that means, as well as what things could look like from the other side of the fence of strangely designed, yet well executed knives. If there were a kitchen knife art gallery, this would be in it.

If I were a wealthy man, I'd buy it and put it in a case in my study(I'd have a study). I'd stare with a glass of wine and go "hmmmmm" and be introspective.

Marko Tsourkan
04-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Mike, It was a request from a friend. She drew the design after using my Nakiri. And basically wanted to tweek a few things, Nakiri style with a little more swoop for rocking.

Its sharp all the way to the tip. what a PITA that was on the stones. lol :) It feels good on the board. and Im sure she will get lots of use from it in her home. :)

Actually, there is a knife of this shape in existence. It's called pichok and it is used in Central Asia, particularly in Uzbekistan. Randy's looks like a variation of the shape.

Here is a traditional pichok. It is a kitchen knife. This shape seems to be popular in Russia.

sachem allison
04-05-2012, 10:14 PM
it also has a very similar profile to some of the earliest everyday French knives, The knife was very popular throughout the middle ages up until now.

Eamon Burke
04-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Drop-point, full bolster, slight recurve kitchen knives. My world is upside down! :IMOK:

HHH Knives
04-05-2012, 11:07 PM
It's interesting indeed, and making me stare at it.

If I were a wealthy man, I'd buy it and put it in a case in my study(I'd have a study). I'd stare with a glass of wine and go "hmmmmm" and be introspective.

LMAO, Thats just funny stuff! Eamon your a riot!

HHH Knives
04-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Actually, there is a knife of this shape in existence. It's called pichok and it is used in Central Asia, particularly in Uzbekistan. Randy's looks like a variation of the shape.

Here is a traditional pichok. It is a kitchen knife. This shape seems to be popular in Russia.

That is similar. I still question how useful the tip actually is either..

Thank you Marko for posting the photo and info.

HHH Knives
04-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Candlejack, 99Limited, The hekler Thanks for the complements and comments.

I will ask about that Video 99.. Like I said I already asked for updates and photos or the blade. what harm is there in a short video?

Im VERY happy with the overall look of the steel on this one! I have a feeling that I will be making a few more blades with this style san Mai. :)

mr drinky
04-05-2012, 11:24 PM
That is a stunning knife, and I would hate to sharpen that tip. Looks less like something to use in the kitchen and more like something to make haste of animals in the wild. I have that French peasant knife, and you can still use the tip for some fine work, but that OP knife design seems limited except for stabbing and puncturing. I'd take that one into battle any day.

I think I might ask Randy to do a jambiya for me just to make things even more weird for him. The jambiya is made to curve under the rib cage and puncture the heart.

k.

Taz575
04-06-2012, 04:45 AM
I did see a Japanese Tuna knife with a very similar profile, but I think it was a bit longer and beefier IIRC?

I'm liking the San Mai and Hybrid Western/Wa handles, distinct look to it. I'm dreaming up a blade with an O-1 core San Mai in feather pattern damascus??? :idea2:

HHH Knives
04-06-2012, 10:50 AM
it also has a very similar profile to some of the earliest everyday French knives, The knife was very popular throughout the middle ages up until now.

Thanks for the info and the photo!

HHH Knives
04-06-2012, 10:55 AM
That is a stunning knife, and I would hate to sharpen that tip. Looks less like something to use in the kitchen and more like something to make haste of animals in the wild. I have that French peasant knife, and you can still use the tip for some fine work, but that OP knife design seems limited except for stabbing and puncturing. I'd take that one into battle any day.

I think I might ask Randy to do a jambiya for me just to make things even more weird for him. The jambiya is made to curve under the rib cage and puncture the heart.

k.

K, The sharpening was a challenge. But after a few passes on both sides. I pretty much figured it out. Im not sure if she will be breaking down any whole cattle or large animals. But who knows what people do with there knives.

A Jambiya? Ill have p Google it and see what your talking about. It sounds like a WICKED weapon!

HHH Knives
04-06-2012, 11:00 AM
I did see a Japanese Tuna knife with a very similar profile, but I think it was a bit longer and beefier IIRC?

I'm liking the San Mai and Hybrid Western/Wa handles, distinct look to it. I'm dreaming up a blade with an O-1 core San Mai in feather pattern damascus??? :idea2:

Taz, Thanks man, I really love the look of the San Mai line on this one.

keep dreaming! lol :) Who knows what kida crazy stuff we will try next? Maybe doing a single bevel 2 bar with feather on the face with the grind. And The O-1 as the cutting edge.. ? Ideas?

Taz575
04-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Like a Deba type??? Oh, don't go that far, I gotta save up some $$$ first!

HHH Knives
04-12-2012, 08:50 PM
Taz, we may be able to do that. I am gona be working on the fine art of making a Deba!!!! :) So start saving lol