PDA

View Full Version : Bread Knife

pumbaa
04-10-2012, 11:08 PM
I know the 2 main options are Tojiro and Mac. And I was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas around the price range or less. I went into my bag today and grabbed my chroma and it is crazy bent like a damn rainbow arc in it. So on to the next one.

kalaeb
04-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Those are both great option and you can't go wrong with either. Apart from those, Forschner would be your next best bet. I have had a few of those and they cut just fine.

Deckhand
04-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Tojiro itk is basically $60.00 and free shipping. Looking for something cheaper? Btw my tojiro itk is a favorite knife of mine.

pumbaa
04-10-2012, 11:16 PM
I am thinking the ITK and calling it a day. I had a forschner but the only 1 I could find long enough was crazy flexible. It would flex through dense breads and cakes.

Deckhand
04-10-2012, 11:22 PM
I am thinking the ITK and calling it a day. I had a forschner but the only 1 I could find long enough was crazy flexible. It would flex through dense breads and cakes.
You should. I promise. You will like it. In fact if you don't you can sell to me for full price you paid and I will give it to a friend. You will thank me.

SpikeC
04-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Why are you pushing the knife?

pumbaa
04-11-2012, 12:06 AM
I honestly was looking at the ITK and Mac, so his rec. isnt off base or anything.

NO ChoP!
04-11-2012, 12:06 AM
It can be had from three separate purveyors, and is as strong a performer as the Mac, and for less...this coming from a diehard Mac fan. Go for it....

pumbaa
04-11-2012, 12:07 AM
I know cutleryandmore,ck2g, and who else?

NO ChoP!
04-11-2012, 12:16 AM
I saw it on eBay... Maybe blueway or ? Was actually a little more, though....

pumbaa
04-11-2012, 12:23 AM
ohh yeah saw it on ebay its like 20 bucks more.

Deckhand
04-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Why are you pushing the knife?
Because I love mine for the price. No strange motive in fact more than one vendor carries them. I am simply very happy with mine. You have always been friendly, and are also friends with son. Did I offend you inadvertently?

Bkelly757
04-11-2012, 01:48 AM
+1 tojiro I love mine and the price is right

knyfeknerd
04-11-2012, 01:59 AM
Just got an ITK last week. I love it! Traded my Shun bread(yes the purge of the Shuns is complete!!!) for it. The serration on the blade is unlike anything I've used before. I do think it will be difficult to sharpen. It is flexible too. Can anyone comment as to how flexible the Mac is ?

labor of love
04-11-2012, 02:07 AM
i hate having to spend money on a bread knife. but im glad i decided to invest in the itk tojiro. big improvement from forshner.

Johnny.B.Good
04-11-2012, 02:15 AM
The serration on the blade is unlike anything I've used before. I do think it will be difficult to sharpen.

Some tips here...

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/5137-Sharpening-the-Tojiro-ITK-scalloped-knife?highlight=how+to+sharpen+serrated

Duckfat
04-11-2012, 09:58 AM
I'm using a Masahiro but if I had to replace it I think I would lean towards a Gude. I hate spending money on a bread knife as well but I'm always glad to have a nice one when I use it.

Dave

WildBoar
04-11-2012, 10:11 AM
have not had a Mac, but we like the Tojio ITK much more then the Wusthoff I've had for years. Part of that may be the additional blade length, but the knife itself has a nice balance. We not in a restaurant environment, but we usually slice some crusty bread every day.

chinacats
04-11-2012, 11:18 AM
I bought a Tojiro, but sent it back due to somewhat shoddy f&f where the handle meets blade. Haven't seen others say the same, so may have only had a Friday blade...good luck!

Deckhand
04-11-2012, 11:36 AM
I bought a Tojiro, but sent it back due to somewhat shoddy f&f where the handle meets blade. Haven't seen others say the same, so may have only had a Friday blade...good luck!

Just wondering was yours a DP? I have never heard that on an ITK. I also bought Tojiro senkou birds beak and the fit and finish was good in that series as well. I certainly won't have all tojiros, but i can't believe the fit and finish and cutting ability on my bread knife for the money. If i was going to spend considerably more i would get a misono 360mm stainless bread knife, but i am very happy with mine. Gude are also good at the higher price point.

Pachowder
04-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Agree...tojiro and call it a day :)

JKerr
04-11-2012, 12:44 PM
I bought a Kanetsune from japan blades about a year ago. I think it's made from aus-6 so nothing fancy and it's pretty flexible, but it's held up well enough and was only $35 (+$6 shipping), gone up to $40 now, but still a decent offering imo.

pumbaa
04-11-2012, 12:57 PM
jkerr i will check that out

TB_London
04-11-2012, 01:06 PM

The Scales are just held on with Cutler rivets and no epoxy etc. There was a slight gap on mine at the front edge but nothing worse than i've seen on plenty of other knives, and easily fillable with a smear of epoxy. I got it to rehandle so wasn't that bothered, and it's a relatively cheap knife so wasn't expecting perfect F+F. Blade is good, nice length, would get my vote as the pick of serrated knives

chinacats
04-11-2012, 02:07 PM
Mine was an ITK and had the same issues described by TB_London...could've easily fixed it, but figured I'd just get the MAC...wound up with a Forschner:>)

Eamon Burke
04-11-2012, 03:37 PM
The Tojiro is a solid performer. At $50, though, you will likely get some burrs(as I did) and the heel has a choil on the edge(not just on the "return" part of the blade), and though its not sharp enough to cut bread, it's square enough to poke the *censored* out of your forefinger, and should be rounded or respected.

Also, mine chipped. That sucks, because there is NO WAY I am going to sit here with a file and regrind those scallops. The edge isn't the easiest thing in the world to sharpen, I touch mine up with a ceramic honing rod, and it takes like 10 minutes. The trick is effectively deburring it.

The best thing about it is the economy of it--you get almost not crumbs from using it, and that means less mess and less waste for me when I'm making a few gallons of croutons.

I have always wanted to try that Gude bread knife, too. Those type of serrations are much easier to sharpen.

pumbaa
04-11-2012, 06:00 PM
As soon as I get paid I guess the Tojiro it is.

SameGuy
04-11-2012, 06:26 PM
I was tempted to make the side-trek to the TDI knife shop on Monday just to grab an ITK, but was on a very tight schedule -- was headed to hanami in Ueno Park before getting to Haneda for the red-eye to LAX. I think my Tojiro would also become a re-handle project.

SpikeC
04-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Because I love mine for the price. No strange motive in fact more than one vendor carries them. I am simply very happy with mine. You have always been friendly, and are also friends with son. Did I offend you inadvertently?

I was referring to pushing as in pushing the knife into the cut, as opposed to a pulling cut. If the blade is flexible it doesn't matter much for a bread knife because you would be pulling the knife through the bread instead of pushing the blade into the bread. No offense was taken, just a semantic misinterpretation!

Johnny.B.Good
04-11-2012, 10:56 PM
I was referring to pushing as in pushing the knife into the cut, as opposed to a pulling cut. If the blade is flexible it doesn't matter much for a bread knife because you would be pulling the knife through the bread instead of pushing the blade into the bread. No offense was taken, just a semantic misinterpretation!

I have an old Wusthof that I'm planning on replacing.

When cutting crusty bread, I think I sort of push and saw...no good?

Maybe I need to ask Eamon to make a "how to cut a loaf of bread" video!

Eamon Burke
04-12-2012, 01:00 AM

LOL I read it your way Spike. Too much knife on the brain, I guess! :knife:

EdipisReks
04-12-2012, 01:04 AM
I was referring to pushing as in pushing the knife into the cut, as opposed to a pulling cut.

this is why i love you, Spike: you are straight forward. i read it the same way Deckhand did, which probably means i've been in academia too long (only 8 years, too!).

Deckhand
04-12-2012, 02:05 AM
Lol good to hear I always liked you and didn't want a resentment. I actually think I saw back and forth. I will pay more attention and check next time. I use it on bread, pineapple, mangos, etc. I don't really feel it is flexible as others have described. I have a small collection of knives and now that I have my boardsmith I will do a post soon. In regards to originally being hooked on this knife I saw the videos of Theory with this knife. You tube PCC kitchen. It got me pumped. The knife has not disappointed. Thanks for your clarification.

WildBoar
04-12-2012, 11:06 PM
For home use, the Tojiro can be prettied up a bit (this one is thanks to Matt):

ThEoRy
04-13-2012, 12:05 AM
I gotta rehandle mine next. I have the scales, just need the time.

SameGuy
04-13-2012, 12:34 AM
I think it would look pretty cool, if not traditional, with a nice traditional Japanese handle. I don't imagine it would affect the performance much. How much extra would a re-handler charge to grind the tang to shape for a wa handle?

Dave Martell
04-13-2012, 01:37 AM
For home use, the Tojiro can be prettied up a bit (this one is thanks to Matt):

Nice upgrade! :doublethumbsup:

Deckhand
04-13-2012, 08:41 PM
I think it would look pretty cool, if not traditional, with a nice traditional Japanese handle. I don't imagine it would affect the performance much. How much extra would a re-handler charge to grind the tang to shape for a wa handle?

Dave Martell did a nice one here. http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/3094-Western-to-Wa-Coversion-Misono-Dragon-Suji. Thread answers your question.

SameGuy
04-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Awesome, thanks for the link! I hadn't searched back that far...