PDA

View Full Version : Handle conversion?

agp
04-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Is it possible to take off the western handle on a knife and replace it with a Japanese wa handle? Would that undermine the integrity of the handle/knife build?

Pensacola Tiger
04-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Absolutely possible.

Mike Henry is doing a WIP on one right now.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/6041-Forgecraft-Makeover-and-Conversion-WIP

Rottman
04-22-2012, 03:54 PM
If it's a western handle with a metal bolster it has to be ground off...

Dave Martell
04-22-2012, 04:07 PM
If it's a western handle with a metal bolster it has to be ground off...

Yeah that's the more complicated of the situations as it pretty much forces you to have re-finish the entire blade if you want it to look good.

SameGuy
04-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Dave, did you get my email on this subject? :)

Dave Martell
04-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Dave, did you get my email on this subject? :)

Hi Francesco,
Yes I did and I replied ...maybe yesterday?

Dave

I'll re-send it again.

agp
04-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Absolutely possible.

Mike Henry is doing a WIP on one right now.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/6041-Forgecraft-Makeover-and-Conversion-WIP

The one I have have one more bolt thing in between the two on the both ends of the handle. Is this something new/experimental?

Eamon Burke
04-22-2012, 09:54 PM
If you mean there are three rivets instead of two, that is not a big deal. Sometimes people make knives with like 8 pins in them. Sometimes none.

If you mean there is an extra hole in the tang, and not a hole or pin in the scales, that's not unusual either--it's done to change the balance and/or create an "epoxy rivet".

As long as it's not an integral bolster, you can just take the scales off, grind it down to a stick and do whatever you like it it.

Pensacola Tiger
04-22-2012, 10:00 PM
The one I have have one more bolt thing in between the two on the both ends of the handle.

Some knives have two rivets, some have three.

Is this something new/experimental?

I think at some point most people who get involved in rehandling knives attempt a conversion of this type. Mike's job is easier because there is no bolster, as has been noted.