PDA

View Full Version : equipment

papazaza
04-23-2012, 12:16 PM
hey guys I'm looking for a place to get some good quality stuff ie knives, spoons, spats, gadgets. Also if you guys were to bet putting a kit together what would you say were must have pieces of equipment

oivind_dahle
04-23-2012, 12:24 PM
80 parer - Devin Thomas Heeringbone Damascus
150 petty - Devin Thomas Feather Damascus
225 Gyuto - Devin Thomas Spirograph Damascus
270 Suji - Devin Thomas Ladder Damascus

or if you wanna spend some more: the same in Bill Burke Sanmai or Dragon Damascus with musk ox handles of course :) WOOT!

Shinob1
04-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Welcome to the forum! For knives, stones, and sharpening accessories you can contact Jon @ JapaneaseKnifeImports.com. He has great service and will make sure to get you on your way.

For the other items, you could do Sur La Table. They have nice stuff, but sometimes I find them to be a little $$.

mhlee
04-23-2012, 12:31 PM
As you can see by Oivind's answer, you asked a loaded question!!! LOL.

First of all, what kind of budget are you working with? If you're working with less than $500, well, maybe you can get one of the knives that Oivind identified.

Second, when you mean "kit," I'm assuming you're a professional cook. I would honestly say that no single place is going to offer every item you'd probably want. Ultimately, the best thing to do is to find what you want to buy, and then shop around and get the best price.

Third, a lot more information about what you would like to purchase will allow others to chime in with more information.

And, lastly, welcome to KKF!

Deckhand
04-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Welcome!
A lot for one question:biggrin:
Jon is very helpful for knives. Here http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/
Devin Thomas, Pierre Rodrigue, Randy at HHH and others make great customs. Look at photos in the vendor forum threads.
I like the sveico fish spatula some like the matfer. Sure there are more styles people prefer. Get some Rosle tongs. I like chef gray kunz spoons in the large size. Del makes a good damascus custom spoon. The ultimate edge deluxe is a good knife bag. Boardsmith is great for an end grain board to not destroy your knives. Hope this helps get you started.
Welcome to the addiction.

papazaza
04-23-2012, 01:00 PM
thanks for the responses so far i guess i should have given a little more info

i work in a catering hall an i do have some stuff i do have a ultimate edge bag and the only equipment worth mentioning is 2 gray kunz spoons and a lamson sharp fish spat

as far as knives go i have a 10 inch dexter i cut pro which I'm actively looking 2 replace
a 8 inch miyabi fusion and a 61/2 shun nakiri both of these are from sur la table

so the stuff I'm looking for is a bread knife and i got the tojiro itk bread knife in mind , a good boning and paring knife

papazaza
04-23-2012, 01:02 PM
and a far as how much im looking to spend on 1 knife i say max at this time is 200 unless its a pretty bad ass knife

cnochef
04-23-2012, 01:25 PM
Welcome to the forum:

For a $200 max chef knife (gyuto) budget and also a 6 inch utility knife (petty) and boning knife (honesuki), I would recommend CarboNext from:
http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKICarboNextSeries.html

They are made from a great high carbon semi-stainless tool steel that sharpens well and stays sharp for a very long time.

These along with your Tojiro bread knife, Lamson spatula, Kunz spoons and Ultimate bag make for the beginnings of a very good professional kit. You might want to throw in a Thermapen, microplane grater and a good y peeler.

BTW, you`ll likely want to learn how to sharpen and take care of those knives yourself. No shortage of equipment and technique advice here if you look around here!

papazaza
04-23-2012, 01:50 PM
yea i kno im off to the right start i just wanted 2 get some peoples opinions who kno their stuff

and ive taken two intro sharpening classes and have a stone set up and stuff so im sure with more experience ill get better

unkajonet
04-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Thermapen, definitely. You might wanna consider throwing something in there to quickly take care of accidental cuts to the fingers. I'm a fan of Krazy Glue, but there's a lot of choices. Really comes in handy.

Johnny.B.Good
04-23-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm not a professional cook, so I can't speak to what a solid kit should contain, but you may find this thread interesting:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/4617-The-whole-kit!?p=72789&viewfull=1#post72789

An experienced professional and respected member here showing everything he takes with him to work each day (video).

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Deckhand
04-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Thermapen, definitely. You might wanna consider throwing something in there to quickly take care of accidental cuts to the fingers. I'm a fan of Krazy Glue, but there's a lot of choices. Really comes in handy.
Love crazy glue let me finish many work days at different jobs instead of a trip for stitches.

Namaxy
04-23-2012, 04:55 PM
I'll second both the Thermapen and the Krazy glue.

Eamon Burke
04-23-2012, 05:03 PM
A honing rod, thermapen, a good pair of tongs, a citrus reamer, a microplane, gold bond, a good pocket knife, cloth band-aids, a few pens, a rubber eraser, your favorite peeler.

papazaza
04-23-2012, 05:27 PM
i actually have seen that video on youtube he was the 1 who told me to come here

El Pescador
04-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Silvadene I have very few scars from burning myself and I think this stuff has a lot to do with it.

Eamon Burke
04-23-2012, 06:13 PM
i actually have seen that video on youtube he was the 1 who told me to come here

Lol that is my kit, but yeah Rick's is badass.

papazaza
04-23-2012, 06:35 PM
yea its awesome