PDA

View Full Version : Another reason why . . .

mhlee
04-24-2012, 01:22 PM
average people never learn about better knives.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2012/04/gary_knife_sharpening.php

:angry1::angryexplode:

echerub
04-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Oh well.

I remember surprising a Cutco guy (friend's spouse's sibling) back when I was just using my old Henckels and just started sharpening. "I've never seen anyone make such thin slices off a tomato before!"

Some people will be satisfied with anything that's knife-shaped and they'll be fine with this recommendation. Others will look for better and this guy's advice will be costing them more money in the end.

Halicon
04-24-2012, 02:22 PM
All hail production line folders that are "razor sharp". I wouldn't shave with one of those even if I was paid ten grand.

Dave Martell
04-24-2012, 02:22 PM
:)

mhlee
04-24-2012, 03:41 PM
The worst part of this is that he has been at some of the best farmer's markets in SoCal spewing his ignorance.

echerub
04-24-2012, 04:09 PM
He's doing harm in terms of educating (mis-educating?) folks all around town, sure. However, in this case it's out of ignorance without mixing in self-interest. That isn't always the case.

bprescot
04-24-2012, 04:25 PM
I am so very very incredibly sad after reading this. A Cutco? Really? Especially when the question is, what's the right knife brand for the average user. Ugh. Beyond being pretty crappy, they're also just dang expensive. How is this the right knife for the average user?

"Well, the way I recommend all average outdoors-men start a campfire is by forgoing the kindling and all that stuff, and just bringing with them crisp stacks of 1 and 5 dollar bills to light."

Don Nguyen
04-24-2012, 04:59 PM
I kind of want to get a cutco now just to try it out. As much as I love to complain about them, I've never used one!

Eamon Burke
04-24-2012, 05:36 PM
The rep that came by our sushi bar trying to sell them to us(totally serious) showed us some pretty hefty pricetags.

El Pescador
04-24-2012, 06:37 PM
I keep wanting to stop in at Rhino Knives in Santa Monica to listen to a similar of BS!

bprescot
04-24-2012, 06:51 PM
The rep that came by our sushi bar trying to sell them to us(totally serious) showed us some pretty hefty pricetags.

I seem to recall them being around $175 or so for a 10" chef? Is that about right?

echerub
04-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Really!? For a Cutco? Geez...

ecchef
04-24-2012, 10:06 PM
I keep wanting to stop in at Rhino Knives in Santa Monica to listen to a similar of BS!

Don't need to stop by. He posts mountains of s**t over on FF. Perhaps the most pompous a-hole in all knifedom. :saythat:

memorael
04-25-2012, 12:09 AM
cutco knives aren't bad guys, come on if your gonna talk smack make sure it can be backed up... <- yeah right, I have owned a set of cutcos and let me tell you guys... any cheap knife is comparable... cheap as in the walmart 5 dollar chef knife. IN FACT! the knife I first bought to practice sharpening on was a sekizo stainless steel santoku (can't believe I just admitted that) and was 20 some bucks. It is leaps and bounds better than the cutcos.

Sarge
04-25-2012, 12:36 AM
[/QUOTE]I keep wanting to stop in at Rhino Knives in Santa Monica to listen to a similar of BS![/QUOTE]

Don't need to stop by. He posts mountains of s**t over on FF. Perhaps the most pompous a-hole in all knifedom. :saythat:

Oh I'm so glad you both have said this. I can't stand that guy. You should see the custom piece he just finished.

As for cutco there are worse knives out there. They aren't worth the asking price that is for sure, but perhaps it is because I have one that I almost never use although it sits sharpened waiting for some frozen food to dissect or some other task that is beneath real knives. I have it left over from my salesman days :eek2::O, but I don't find them all that horrific. It isn't a great knife despite its thinness, the steel in them is just not very good. Other than that if you're able to get them sharp they'll work for one maybe two home sessions, if you aren't cooking anything too elaborate prep wise.

Don Nguyen
04-25-2012, 02:11 AM
From their video on how theyre made, it SEEMS like they're doing things decently right with the processes and explanations.

Would never buy one. That double d serrated mumbo jumbo makes me confused....

Johnny.B.Good
04-25-2012, 03:53 AM

I lost my temper with him there the other day after he tried to embarrass someone (I almost never post there, but couldn't help myself). I like reading FF, but he practically ruins it for me.

You should see the custom piece he just finished.

I did see it (unfortunately), and was tempted to comment on it, but decided to try to bite my tongue (if possible) before I get banned! I would take a Cutco over it any day of the week.

ecchef
04-25-2012, 04:13 AM
He must hold some special power over the mods there. I was threatened with a ban for correcting his spelling!
Anyway, my last thoughts on this subject.

Johnny.B.Good
04-25-2012, 04:20 AM
Anyway, my last thoughts on this subject.

Deal.

On the subject of Cutco knives, I'm pretty sure my mother has a few in her drawer courtesy of a friend of mine who sold them for a summer during college. Maybe I will dig them out and put them to work for a week.

ecchef
04-25-2012, 04:45 AM
How about a Forumwide challenge? Best Cutco makeover?

99Limited
04-25-2012, 09:41 AM
.... You should see the custom piece he just finished.

I saw it and couldn't help noticing the lack of comments. I wanted to post, "I guess the lack of additional comments speaks volumes towards what people think about your latest work." But since it's been beat into my head since I was a kid, "If you don't have something nice to say, keep your mouth shut."

SameGuy
04-25-2012, 10:08 AM
No, really?

Twistington
04-25-2012, 11:24 AM
No, really?

Oh five spyderco holes... and it's not even a folder.

bprescot
04-25-2012, 12:47 PM
No, really?

Before I comment, I figure I should make sure I know what I'm seeing. Is this a joke knife found on the webs or is this an actual knife made with the intent of serious consideration?

Don Nguyen
04-25-2012, 01:11 PM
"The butterfly pattern of holes is to give purchase with a pinch hold on the spine. Your Pinky & Ring fingers can wrap around through the Index & Second finder cutouts while pinching."

-Laurence@RhinoKnives

Crothcipt
04-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Ya he is very serious about his design. He even has one that looks like someone got happy with a paper hole punch.

echerub
04-25-2012, 01:36 PM
I was originally going to post that it looks like he's got a fixation on paper hole punches...

RobinW
04-28-2012, 09:26 PM
I could probably live with the obsession with punched holes if i was in dire need. But the edge curve? The Tramontinas i am forced to live with right now suddelny does not seem too bad! Or is it a butcher?

steeley
04-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Jay Fischer makes some knives like that.

http://limepic.com/img/nN6Q.jpg

BobCat
04-28-2012, 10:49 PM
:bigeek:

K-Fed
04-29-2012, 12:03 AM
Gotta love a knife whose handle hits the board as you finish your cut.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/LetsKillKevy/nN6Q.jpg

Don Nguyen
04-29-2012, 12:29 AM
LOL. I never noticed that!

Sarge
04-29-2012, 12:57 AM
With out all those awful holes the edge profile looks decent enough but that handle issue, you'd think that would be noticed in the prototype phases

echerub
04-29-2012, 01:27 AM
How do we know that wasn't already an improvement over a prototype where the handle hit the board first?

knyfeknerd
04-29-2012, 02:08 AM
Have you read any of Jay Fisher's manifestos as to why carbon steel is unsafe? That if it isn't surgical quality, it shouldn't be used for food. There is a lot of "interesting" reading on his site. Good for a laugh.

Crothcipt
04-29-2012, 04:45 AM
ya he also is a big believer of having a hollow ground edge.

richinva
04-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Since I'd never heard of him, I just read some of Jay Fisher's webpage "manifesto"(exactly the right word, thanks!), wow...........he is completely ate up with it (it being himself)..............it's a wonder that he has time to do anything but write all that stuff. A very promiscuous keyboard, to say the least......."An typical Japanese-style octagon-shaped straight handle with abrupt corners is not comfortable, no matter how much foreign tradition and culture you try to accept." I would think an infomercial would be the next logical step..........

brainsausage
04-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Gotta love a knife whose handle hits the board as you finish your cut.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/LetsKillKevy/nN6Q.jpg

That aberration on the bottom almost made me lose my Herradura. It looks like an 8 year old's version of a 'wicked cool bad a** knife'. Frickin' awful.

Andrew H
04-29-2012, 07:04 PM
That aberration on the bottom almost made me lose my Herradura. It looks like an 8 year old's version of a 'wicked cool bad a** knife'. Frickin' awful.

And you haven't even seen the price tag yet.

TB_London
04-29-2012, 07:05 PM
I can see those "overgrinds" causing some holes in the edge after a few years sharpening

Twistington
04-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Since I'd never heard of him, I just read some of Jay Fisher's webpage "manifesto"(exactly the right word, thanks!), wow...........he is completely ate up with it (it being himself)..............it's a wonder that he has time to do anything but write all that stuff. A very promiscuous keyboard, to say the least......."An typical Japanese-style octagon-shaped straight handle with abrupt corners is not comfortable, no matter how much foreign tradition and culture you try to accept." I would think an infomercial would be the next logical step..........

A man who puts holes all over the blade talks about ergonomics... this guys knuckles must be made of ceramics or something.

mhlee
05-07-2012, 02:11 PM
I can see those "overgrinds" causing some holes in the edge after a few years sharpening

Maybe it was designed so that as you sharpen it more and more, it will turn into a serrated bread knife?

jackslimpson
05-08-2012, 01:09 PM
average people never learn about better knives.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/squidink/2012/04/gary_knife_sharpening.php

:angry1::angryexplode:

Did anyone notice this:

"And if you happen to be the woman who brought her entire knife block to the market so every single knife can be sharpened, he will also tell you -- politely, grinning, like he's letting you in on a secret -- that you really don't need so many knifes."

k-n-i-f-e-s?

Cheers,

Jack