PDA

View Full Version : Cooking/Prepping with one arm

Namaxy
04-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Greetings -

I go in for rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder the day after tomorrow. Left arm will be in a sling for weeks, then movement restricted after that. I'm sure I'll have no interest in cooking for a while after the operation, but I expect I'll have the bug to get back in the kitchen long before I'm allowed to use my left arm. Anyone have any experience using only one arm (at least I'm right handed)? Any tips for cutting on the board?

Thanks

Eamon Burke
04-30-2012, 04:20 PM
You can still do the claw with your left hand while your elbow's in a sling, no?

Or just keep your knives razor sharp, put them in a vise, and throw food at them.

Namaxy
04-30-2012, 04:26 PM
You can still do the claw with your left hand while your elbow's in a sling, no?

Or just keep your knives razor sharp, put them in a vise, and throw food at them.

I showed the doc 'the claw' and he gave me the big thumbs down for 6 weeks. And I'm laughing at your vise comment...I swear I've seen that on youtube where someone was trying to do a knife review and threw a tomato on a knife...

SpikeC
04-30-2012, 04:45 PM
Been there done that. Have someone hold the food for you! Butt cerealy, you will need to start using the shoulder pretty soon after the surgery to keep it from getting sticky.

TB_London
04-30-2012, 07:43 PM
You'll find a way that works for you im sure.
Thread title made me think of Michael Caines who lost his arm relatively early on in his career and now has 2 stars.

Seth
04-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Neal,
Six weeks is just enough time to lay around picking out the next three knives you deserve...

Massages from your three best women friends?
Three new cookbooks with pictures?

Good luck with the surgery and give yourself time to heal.
S.

SpikeC
04-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Time to stock up on movies!

BobCat
04-30-2012, 09:39 PM
Neal,
Six weeks is just enough time to lay around picking out the next three knives you deserve...

Massages from your three best women friends?
Three new cookbooks with pictures?

Good luck with the surgery and give yourself time to heal.
S.

:plus1: follow your doctors orders. Please.