PDA

View Full Version : Cut Brooklyn Again

Don Nguyen
05-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Stumbled on another video on Cut Brooklyn. I know a lot of your thoughts on the guy, but he makes a lot of good points. I for one am kinda a fan of his :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAFG5ZLYpjw

Eamon Burke
05-12-2012, 12:38 PM
I can't figure out why he doesn't get them laser cut. He doesn't hand-roll the steel himself or HT them, why's he gotta angle-grind it?

Don Nguyen
05-12-2012, 12:56 PM
You know, that stuck out weird to me as well. Everything else he does makes sense, but that angle grinder approach is a little wonky. Maybe even a plasma cutter would fair better?

Pensacola Tiger
05-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Water jet would work here too.

I see he's gone down the path that Butch took, and is using Carpenter CTS-XHP.

Andrew H
05-12-2012, 01:18 PM
He's doing something right.

Johnny.B.Good
05-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Seems like a genuine dude to me.

Lefty
05-12-2012, 01:58 PM
I'm a fan. He loves what he does, makes some apparently good quality stuff and to be honest, I'd like one of his knives.

kalaeb
05-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Does anyone here have one of his knives? I would be curious to see how they perform.

His handles look uncomfortable, even for a western lover like me. But that is speculation.

Does everyone else grind before heat treat or after, it seems like even if you dip it in coolant after each pass on the belt, you still may be reaching a temp of ruining the temper on the edge?

richinva
05-12-2012, 02:48 PM
I saw at least one piece of CPM154. Maybe that handle is called a Western Wa? :)

Comes off as an honest guy, I liked his video. Not too stuck on himself, always a plus. To acknowledge other makers as awesome is quite a compliment from a maker..................

Eamon Burke
05-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Does anyone here have one of his knives? I would be curious to see how they perform.

His handles look uncomfortable, even for a western lover like me. But that is speculation.

Certainly don't ask Joel about any of that. At least not on the internet. He got flamed on a few forums at some point about his handles, profiles, etc. and apparently never got over it. He was really crappy to me when I offered to host a passaround for him, and guarantee the knife would be returned to him, just to have the chance to put his skeptics to rest, because I like American knifemakers. He got pretty insulting, and made it clear that he's busy because he is in a hip part of Brooklyn and doesn't want any more business. I still wish he'd get off his horse about it.

Does everyone else grind before heat treat or after, it seems like even if you dip it in coolant after each pass on the belt, you still may be reaching a temp of ruining the temper on the edge?

If it's ground before heat treat, it has a higher chance of warping. It doesn't heat up that bad if you are using good, sharp belts and have a beefy motor behind it. The tip gets tricky. I am currently :doublebanghead: because I didn't taper a few blanks before HT, and now they are a massive PITA to taper without screwing them up.

GlassEye
05-12-2012, 03:09 PM
He seems to be making some decent knives, and seems like he genuinely cares about what he is doing. Personally, I have no desire to own one of his knives, though.

The angle grinder makes no sense, I can't imagine how much time would be saved by using CNC of some sort.

Edit:

Certainly don't ask Joel about any of that. At least not on the internet. He got flamed on a few forums at some point about his handles, profiles, etc. and apparently never got over it. He was really crappy to me when I offered to host a passaround for him, and guarantee the knife would be returned to him, just to have the chance to put his skeptics to rest, because I like American knifemakers. He got pretty insulting, and made it clear that he's busy because he is in a hip part of Brooklyn and doesn't want any more business. I still wish he'd get off his horse about it.
That is unfortunate.

mpukas
05-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Love to see a guy pursuing his passion, and being humble about it. What I really appreciate about his work is that it's unique to him yet still comes across as a functional design.

I like the look of his blade profile, on the fence about the handle. I'd love to try one.

Crothcipt
05-12-2012, 04:12 PM
I still wouldn't mind trying out one of his knives. But his price point seems a little high to me. But I didn't look at what steel he is using. I think his prices went up too.

Lefty
05-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Yeah, he'd kinda chic, and on that border between mainstream and New York underground.
As for not taking Eamon, or myself up on offers, well, public scrutiny can be rough, and he has more business than he currently can keep up with. Whatever works, I guess...either way, I still wanna bang on one.

Diamond G
05-12-2012, 04:53 PM
He seems to be a legit guy, no smoke or mirrors.
While I like his blade designs, his handles seem a bit radical. But not having tried them I can only guess.

On using a side grinder, as a part time maker myself, you sometimes use whats available. May not be the best or most economical way to do it, but its what he has, and it works

Would be intrested in trying one out though!.

God Bless
Mike

ajhuff
05-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Yeah, easy to say laser cut, water jet, cnc, but if it's not in your budget...

-AJ

Eamon Burke
05-12-2012, 05:20 PM
If you are getting an entire sheet done, provided you can find a shop to do small jobs(which, if I can find in Texas, he can find in NY), the price of Laser cutting is comparable to what he would spend on cutoff wheels and belts. Not to mention the time it takes that he could be doing something else with his time. And the benefits of proper nesting are almost exclusively profit.

Sorry, if you are making a billet at a time yourself, and then making custom one off knives like Randy Haas, I can see cutting them yourself. But this? Just seems to be extra work for the hell of it.

I think his knives look like great cutters. I bet they are nice to use, and they've got an interesting look, like a Riceburner made by Ikea.

Noodle Soup
05-12-2012, 05:28 PM
I think he is happier dealing with people outside the knife lover community. I met him at the NYC custom knife show several years ago before he had much publicity in the main stream media. I thought we had an agreement on him making a knife for me but when I didn't hear anything from him for several months I e-mailed and left a message on his phone. No answer. Waited another couple of months and tried again. Still no answer. I guess he can pick and choose who is allowed to own his knives.

Don Nguyen
05-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Also, it was odd that he sharpened before finishing.

tgraypots
05-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Up until I bought a metal cutting bandsaw, recently, I used a angle grinder to roughly cut out my profiles too. Sometimes you just have to use what you have on hand. I've only been making knives for a year, and started out grinding with a handheld belt sander because that is what I had. I've since moved up to a 2 x 72 I traded my pots for and a serious disk grinder, like Dave Martell's I think. I'm using 1/8" 1080 right now, and I grind in my bevels after HT also. With only 1/8" of steel to work with it seems to make sense to me. I also sharpen before handling then wrap my blades with paper and painter's tape.

I really like his profiles, from a purely visual standpoint, and would love to try one out in my home kitchen. The guy is living an envious lifestyle doing something he digs, where he wants to do it. I think that's pretty cool.

Marko Tsourkan
05-13-2012, 06:26 PM
This is an old video, probably over two years old. I am sure Joel has moved on cutting steel with an angle grinder. I would guess his blanks are laser cut these days.

Why people use angle grinders? Because water or laser jet cutting is expensive if you buy steel by a sheet. Say 80LB sheet will yield about 80 knives. At $10+/cut, you shelling out $800+ extra plus shipping. Take PM steel at $21/lb, add shipping to the laser/waterjet cutting facility, cost of cutting and return shipping and you start seeing a real incentive to cut steel yourself by whatever means (including angle grinder) available.

I use angle grinder and a portable bandsaw at the moment. I might get a stationary bandsaw, or use laser jet or waterjet cutting service next time I order, but upfront cost is high in both cases.

Sharpening before finishing? Now, that is something worth to wonder about. As honing an edge on slack leather (razor hone).

M

heirkb
05-13-2012, 06:41 PM
As honing an edge on slack leather (razor hone).

A bit off topic, but you should try shaving extensively with a razor both with a strop and without a strop to see what difference it makes. Knife guys seem to always have something to say about stropping on hanging strops, but I always wonder how many of them have actually tried razors extensively. In other words, theory is great. But, it doesn't necessarily predict lived reality.

Marko Tsourkan
05-13-2012, 06:48 PM
I was referring to stropping a knife on a hanging (slack) strop - it was at one point at the end of Joel's video. Maybe it got edited out since along with a comment that best knives come from Europe, Japan and Brooklyn? I haven't watched that video since that first time years ago so I don't know.

Strop makes a huge difference in improving an edge, particularly a felt strop with 1-2 micron diamond for 52100. White steels seems to respond better to Chromium Oxide.

Razors have their backs as guides for stropping, but knives don't, so you have to mount your strop on a flat surface and use the same angles as sharpening. Honing a knife on a slack belt will round your edge in no time.

heirkb
05-13-2012, 07:02 PM
My bad, Marko. I watched the video and don't remember that part, so it may have been edited out, or I may not have been paying enough attention. I had initially thought that your comment was somewhere along the lines of how Carter thinks about razor honing.

Anyways, back on topic. I'd like to try his knives. Does anyone know if he has a shop in Brooklyn?

Crothcipt
05-13-2012, 07:11 PM
He does, or did as of last year. If you go to his website (same name.com) it gives his address.

99Limited
05-13-2012, 07:14 PM
... Does anyone know if he has a shop in Brooklyn?

You go on his website and somewhere in there, there is an address for his shop. I googled his place with a street view. I don't know how old the google imagines are, but it looks kind of run down. Maybe the area has been renovated since. The place is a pretty easy drive from my house. If it wasn't for the $20 in bridge tolls I was thinking about going by there one day.

Marko Tsourkan
05-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Yes. It's in Red Hook, if I am not mistaken. That whole area was industrial and run-down residential area, but has seen a lot of revival in the past few years thanks to gentrification.

M

labor of love
05-13-2012, 07:33 PM
not to be a stick in the mud, but I dont really understand all the interest in this guy's knives. Theres about a hundred other U.S. makers I would like to check out first at his pricepoints. Furthermore, theres virtually no testimonies or feedback about the performance of the knives. I need more info than indie short films.

Marko Tsourkan
05-14-2012, 09:40 AM
not to be a stick in the mud, but I dont really understand all the interest in this guy's knives. Theres about a hundred other U.S. makers I would like to check out first at his pricepoints. Furthermore, theres virtually no testimonies or feedback about the performance of the knives. I need more info than indie short films.

Well, I tip my head to him for marketing himself right. Money well spent (videos and two writeups in NY Times) despite the cost.

M

TB_London
05-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Strange he advocates steeling over using stones, what hardness does he take them too? It struggled going through that cherry tomato :D

stevenStefano
05-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Anyone else notice that one of the times he tried cutting garlic he didn't cut all the way through? I am not trying to be pedantic, it just amused me

labor of love
05-14-2012, 10:09 PM
yes. I was thinking the same thing!!! and his cuts were slow I found it frustrating to watch. His handles look cutco inspired. that irks me too.

Andrew H
05-14-2012, 10:15 PM
The challenger on Iron Chef last night was using one of his knives.

GlassEye
05-14-2012, 10:40 PM

I noticed that as well.

Noodle Soup
05-14-2012, 10:50 PM
But did he win? :) I don't watch TV so I wouldn't have any way of knowing.

rsacco
05-14-2012, 11:29 PM

I caught this episode on Saturday night - Iron Chef Zakarian vs. Michael Ferraro. There was a slow motion playback of Michael Ferraro using his Cut Brooklyn to slice peaches to transparent thin since his sous chef was not able to do it with the slicer because the peaches were too fresh. You can't pay for that type of product placement and marketing.

Don Nguyen
05-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Wowza, that's pretty interesting.

Noodle Soup
05-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Which of course is why he doesn't need web forums, cutlery magazines, knife shows etc.

Vertigo
05-15-2012, 03:43 PM
I remember Cory Milligan (or maybe his brother) from New West Knifeworks getting bitten pretty hard in the ass by this community too, and he's ignored it ever since. We're a tiny, insular, and irrelevant demographic. There's no point in having your product "made better" by us snobbish nit-pickers when 99% of the people buying knives in this world do it based off budget, convenience, and brand-name recognition, with "performance" being an entirely meaningless property most people only comprehend in it's relationship to the junk with which they're already familiar. If Joel or Cory can get themselves lines out the door based off a few write-ups in the paper and word of mouth around town, more power to 'em. If I could sell a thousand knives without subjecting myself to the rigorous vetting of a community that quibbles over little things like the degree of convexity on the right face of the knife compared to the left, or the ethereal differences in it's "sharpenability" relative to some esoteric and imported Japanese paper steel, I would too.

That said, I still wish we could get a passaround going on one of these, so we could quibble about the degrees of convexity on the blade face and what brand of motor oil he uses to quench. :razz:

tgraypots
05-15-2012, 05:46 PM
well said Vertigo.

labor of love
05-15-2012, 07:16 PM
I remember Cory Milligan (or maybe his brother) from New West Knifeworks getting bitten pretty hard in the ass by this community too, and he's ignored it ever since. We're a tiny, insular, and irrelevant demographic. There's no point in having your product "made better" by us snobbish nit-pickers when 99% of the people buying knives in this world do it based off budget, convenience, and brand-name recognition, with "performance" being an entirely meaningless property most people only comprehend in it's relationship to the junk with which they're already familiar. If Joel or Cory can get themselves lines out the door based off a few write-ups in the paper and word of mouth around town, more power to 'em. If I could sell a thousand knives without subjecting myself to the rigorous vetting of a community that quibbles over little things like the degree of convexity on the right face of the knife compared to the left, or the ethereal differences in it's "sharpenability" relative to some esoteric and imported Japanese paper steel, I would too.

That said, I still wish we could get a passaround going on one of these, so we could quibble about the degrees of convexity on the blade face and what brand of motor oil he uses to quench. :razz:
I think I understand your point too...but what's the point of producing high quality cutlery where you pay close attention to every detail if your target consumer base couldn't tell the difference between American custom made quality and mass produced Japanese/German stuff? If that is ultamately his goal then he should streamline his process a bit and increase production.

Vertigo
05-15-2012, 08:22 PM
I think I understand your point too...but what's the point of producing high quality cutlery where you pay close attention to every detail if your target consumer base couldn't tell the difference between American custom made quality and mass produced Japanese/German stuff? If that is ultamately his goal then he should streamline his process a bit and increase production.
Hmmm. Handcrafted cutlery being made as a labor of love with a serious attention to detail are part of his branding. You can't have a hip video showcasing your handcrafted process if your product isn't just that, and consumers--god bless them--gobble that romanticized production process up, even if they don't really understand it. It may be more labor intensive, but it generates an image which allows him to charge the premium he does. Beyond that, though, I think he just genuinely likes making knives and working with his hands. He could probably outsource most his production like New West did and still coast on his brand enough to keep charging a premium, but that would take a lot of the fun out of his job.

Just some thoughts.

Noodle Soup
05-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Doing things the hard way just so you can say you did them the hard way without producing an superior product doesn't impress me. A couple of weeks ago I watched a bladesmith hammer out a very nice large gyuto from bar stock in about an hour. I'm guessing he could forge more knives per day that way than Joel can cut out and grind. I also watched him hand forge handle ferrules one at a time. Now that is handmade.

labor of love
05-15-2012, 09:26 PM
thats just it. were not supposed to be impressed. The average consumer watches his nicely directed short film about how passionate he feels about knife making while standing in a room full of machines and equipment and theyre impressed though. he doesnt care what we knife enthusiasts think ( im guessing here). The $$$ in whats trendy and the appearance of craftsmanshift. The shun and global crowd are easier to prey on:lol2:

Noodle Soup
05-15-2012, 09:36 PM
thats just it. were not supposed to be impressed. The average consumer watches his nicely directed short film about how passionate he feels about knife making while standing in a room full of machines and equipment and theyre impressed though. he doesnt care what we knife enthusiasts think ( im guessing here). The $$$ in whats trendy and the appearance of craftsmanshift. The shun and global crowd are easier to prey on:lol2:

Working part time in NYC, I would say there are a lot of "cool hipster" people to prey on there. :)

Vertigo
05-15-2012, 09:46 PM
...without producing an superior product doesn't impress me.
Haha, but a superior product to an uneducated consumer is whatever they pay the most for, right? And consumers pay the most for whatever they can romanticize, like hand crafted free range no BGH knives. That means Joel gets to do what he likes, in the way he likes to do it, at a price he can afford, and gets to charge a premium for the privilege. The fact that he doesn't give a flying f*ck what the intarweb übernerds think isn't surprising in the least, lol.

labor of love
05-15-2012, 10:11 PM
I don't understand how anybody can expect to improve at their craft if they can't handle a little constructive criticism.

Noodle Soup
05-15-2012, 10:26 PM
I don't think any of us like much "constructive criticism." Ask any married man. :)

Lefty
05-15-2012, 10:37 PM
I think Vertigo nailed it. However, I bet his knives actually are better than most out there, even if they don't quite compare with ours.

labor of love
05-15-2012, 11:04 PM
I think vertigo is correct too. But I also think its unwise to count us out even if he doesn't need us.

Lefty
05-15-2012, 11:06 PM
I agree with you too! Haha
It's just easier to do what he does. To him, we're just a bunch of elitist knife snobs who overexamine every minute detail of a knife (he's right). To please us is VERY hard, and not worth his time. He's already making boat loads, doing what he loves.
Good on him!

Vertigo
05-15-2012, 11:34 PM
I know he wasn't keen on Eamon's passaround idea, so I propose a collection plate to outright buy one from the guy so we can have our way with it.

$30 gets your name on the passaround list. Once enough is collected, the Passaround Commissioner (*cough* Lefty *cough*) buys a Prospect 240 with the collected funds, uses it for a week, then passes it off to the next "buyer." Once everyone has had a week with it, we do a giveaway for the knife using a random number drawn by an impartial third party (*cough* Dave *cough*), amongst everyone who contributed.

Ready Set Go.

Crothcipt
05-15-2012, 11:37 PM
lol I was just thinking the same thing. I'm in

Lefty
05-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Damn, that sounds almost doable....

ajhuff
05-16-2012, 12:09 AM
I'm In

-AJ

echerub
05-16-2012, 12:14 AM
I'm curious about his knives... and I can still afford $30 :) I'm up for it.

Andrew H
05-16-2012, 12:22 AM
A 240 seems to run you $575...

Crothcipt
05-16-2012, 12:30 AM
less than 20 peeps.

Marko Tsourkan
05-16-2012, 12:33 AM
I don't understand how anybody can expect to improve at their craft if they can't handle a little constructive criticism.

I agree. Some embrace it, some think it might strip them of their crown.

There is noting wrong learning things hard way, but to get better, one has to constantly thinking of better way of doing the same thing, and I don't mean to outsource it, as a better way of doing it.

Forum like this is a gold mine for people who want to improve - information, feedback, ideas, etc, and constructive criticism has been received pretty well and typically an improvement followed.

M

Vertigo
05-16-2012, 12:54 AM
Looking like 5/20 interested in just a couple hours. Let's see where this thing takes us, eh?

Ontravelling
05-16-2012, 01:15 AM
I'm in too. Let's do this.

Iceman91
05-16-2012, 01:19 AM
I'm in on this too if it happens.

Mike

add
05-16-2012, 01:33 AM
Forum like this is a gold mine for people who want to improve - information, feedback, ideas, etc, and constructive criticism has been received pretty well and typically an improvement followed.
M

IMHO, it reeks of insecurity to not welcome some sort of peer review.

The fella in question?
Seems to be there in spades.

Apparently there is no room for it in the marketing plan.

Otherwise, educated consumers are left holding.... doubt.

stevenStefano
05-16-2012, 08:54 AM
If there are any Europeans I might throw my hat (£) in though it is highly unlikely. Just think of me if you're stuck

tgraypots
05-16-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm in.

Vertigo
05-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Kk. Thats about half we need, so Ill start an official thread in Personal Passarounds after work.

tk59
05-16-2012, 11:38 AM
I'd like to try one but not the one that's on sale and it isn't $30. Remember, you're gonna have to ship this knife insured. That's $50 for the "honor" of using a 1095, walnut knife for a week that almost certainly doesn't cut any better than (or even as well as) any number of knives I really want to try. If a CTS-XHP knife becomes available, I'd go for it. Otherwise, I'd rather do this sort of thing for one of the vendors here. I'm thinking Gesshin Hide or the new Korin line of yanagibas or a Devin custom (lots of people have experience a DT-ITK which is a solid knife but a custom is significantly better, imo), etc., etc.

echerub
05-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Hmm, that's true, there's shipping to chuck in as well. I totally forgot about that - and shipping out from here gets a bit pricey.

I'm wavering here! It does seem better and more fun to do something like this with something truly special

El Pescador
05-16-2012, 12:34 PM
im in if it is the carpenter steel one. where do I send the money?

Pesky

Pensacola Tiger
05-16-2012, 12:43 PM
I'd like to try one but not the one that's on sale and it isn't $30. Remember, you're gonna have to ship this knife insured. That's $50 for the "honor" of using a 1095, walnut knife for a week that almost certainly doesn't cut any better than (or even as well as) any number of knives I really want to try. If a CTS-XHP knife becomes available, I'd go for it. Otherwise, I'd rather do this sort of thing for one of the vendors here. I'm thinking Gesshin Hide or the new Korin line of yanagibas or a Devin custom (lots of people have experience a DT-ITK which is a solid knife but a custom is significantly better, imo), etc., etc.

+1

kalaeb
05-16-2012, 12:46 PM
I wish him the best, but his knives to absolutely nothing for me.

Lefty
05-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I don't think it's worth it for me. Great idea, though.

Vertigo
05-16-2012, 01:20 PM
im in if it is the carpenter steel one. where do I send the money?

Pesky

Haha, hold tight tiger! We're still in the exploratory stages here. I'll get ahold of the maker and discuss steel, time frame, and final cost if and when we get a few more "Im ins."

stevenStefano
05-16-2012, 02:44 PM
If there is any chance of doing a Carpenter one it would be cool if Butch was in the passaround

Vertigo
05-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Email sent. I'll make a passaround thread when I hear back. Cheers!

Noodle Soup
05-17-2012, 10:47 AM
It will be interesting to see what he replies. There is virtually nothing available now on his website and he mentions following him on twitter is the best way to catch when a knife is for sale.

Vertigo
05-17-2012, 11:05 AM
It will be interesting to see what he replies. There is virtually nothing available now on his website and he mentions following him on twitter is the best way to catch when a knife is for sale.

What's a twitter?

add
05-17-2012, 01:25 PM
What's a twitter?

The maker's reaction if he finds out his knife is headed for a pass-a-round here?

Eamon Burke
05-17-2012, 01:36 PM
He won't notice or care.

The stuff Vertigo said is true, and it's the same thing he told me, but in a far more vitriolic way. Only thing is, I made it clear I wasn't trying to give him criticism, validate, or judge it. I was offering a chance for him to say "here's my work, take it or leave it" and sell a few knives and maybe shut some dissenters up, and all it would have cost is tying up a knife for a few weeks.

Crothcipt
07-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Vertigo have you heard back on this? Just wondering.

brainsausage
07-05-2012, 04:29 AM
I'm curious now too. Especially since one his vids on YouTube he says he'd put his knife up against any Japanese made knife. Thems fightin words!

Vertigo
07-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Vertigo have you heard back on this? Just wondering.

Nope. Sent two emails and never got anything back, figured it was a lost cause. I'm not going to twitter someone to buy a knife, lol.

tgraypots
07-05-2012, 10:50 AM
I would love to get a hold of one. I like 'em, and like the idea he is thinking outside the box design-wise, while they still appear to be comfortable and user friendly. Why in the world would he bother with a forum pass-around? His market, and consequent feedback, surrounds him. I'm sure he is getting, and has gotten, plenty of feedback from local chef's and avid home cooks in his surrounds, otherwise he wouldn't still be in business and (apparently) doing well. That feedback has put him into the position he is in now. I think he is in an enviable position.

Noodle Soup
07-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Sounds pretty much like the response I got from him too even after talking to him face to face at the New York Custom knife show. That was several years ago and his knives were fairly crude. The ones on the website look a little more refined these days.

sudsy9977
07-05-2012, 11:28 AM
I've seen a few in person and i thought they looked nice and felt comfortable...he seemed like a nice enough guy in person too....as far as using one, never had the pleasure.....ryan

Crothcipt
07-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Nope. Sent two emails and never got anything back, figured it was a lost cause. I'm not going to twitter someone to buy a knife, lol.

Np I was hoping you had word from him. I don't even have a twitter account, not sure why anyone would want to do business on there anyways.

Noodle Soup
07-06-2012, 12:58 PM
I thought about trying to just buy one too but he really doesn't keep much in stock and following him on twitter in hopes of being there when one comes up for sale seems a little complicated.

Johnny.B.Good
07-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Looks like there is a "much thinner and lighter" (than usual) 240mm available for purchase right now: http://cutbrooklyn.com/artwork/1711581_Available.html

Edit: Oops, looks like it has sold (and at $575, not inexpensively!)

pitonboy
07-06-2012, 02:24 PM
If another 240 comes up, I would be willing to buy it and do the passaround, so if you see one come up, PM me and I will see what I can do.

tgraypots
07-06-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm on twitter and will try to keep up with what he has available. He posts new knives on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I'd like to be in on the pass-around.

tgraypots
07-07-2012, 10:26 AM
no knives today.

Johnny.B.Good
07-07-2012, 12:35 PM
no knives today.

The stakeout begins!

Pensacola Tiger
07-07-2012, 02:10 PM
If another 240 comes up, I would be willing to buy it and do the passaround, so if you see one come up, PM me and I will see what I can do.

Dave has one in B/S/T:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/7360-CutBrooklyn-Prospect-240

pitonboy
07-07-2012, 02:52 PM
I just PMed Dave; I will buy it unless he tells me it's a real dog, which I think would settle this controversy anyway given that he knows far more than I do about these things