PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me yanagiba

poutine_boy
05-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Less than $300 all in.

Gonna be my first j-knife (or any knife >$10).

I want it hand forged, single beveled. Going to use to slice sashimi only, until I can get a good deba. Im going to have it professionally sharpened by a local Japanese knife shop.
Performance is the main thing I'm after.

Oh must have the j-style handles too, no preference on blade appearance.
And prefer to shop locally (Toronto) or Canadian online retailers, paulsfinest/knifewear/slice and sear, etc.

poutine_boy
05-20-2012, 08:11 PM
knife will only be used occasionally for home/rec, once a week.

Im Not a chef or nothing, but it's my second best hobby!

schanop
05-20-2012, 08:18 PM
How about Tokojou from aoki hamono (http://www.paulsfinest.com/Sakai-Takayuki-Sashimi-Yanagiba-Knife-Tokojou-270mm-10.6.html) via paulsfinest? knifewear does not seem to stock suisin single bevel shironiko line, which would have been a good (or better) choice.

mhlee
05-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Since your name is "poutine_boy," I'm assuming you're from Canada and you may not know that the term "***" has very racist connotations among Japanese and Japanese-Americans like myself. Out of respect to members who are Japanese or Japanese, I would ask that you or anyone else not use that term.

SameGuy
05-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Canadians also know.

ThEoRy
05-21-2012, 01:13 AM
I'm a weebo and I am also offended by this term... :biggrin:

Jk I'm not a weebo but it does rub me the wrong way. Though I have friends who don't realize it is a racial slur as they thought they were merely abbreviating. I'll explain it to them and get, "Oh ****, yeah I didn't mean it like that."

No harm no foul.

Back ot now please :D

Deckhand
05-21-2012, 02:09 AM
Since your name is "poutine_boy," I'm assuming you're from Canada and you may not know that the term "***" has very racist connotations among Japanese and Japanese-Americans like myself. Out of respect to members who are Japanese or Japanese, I would ask that you or anyone else not use that term.

Hopefully no harm was meant. Probably just a accident with no harm intended. As it is you planned the west coast gathering date over the orange county Obon festival. Luckily the festival is two days. So I can go to Obon festival Saturday and west coast gathering Sunday. I think there is a great appreciation for Japanese and Japanese culture here. Thank you for hosting our get together.

mhlee
05-21-2012, 11:01 AM
Hopefully no harm was meant. Probably just a accident with no harm intended. As it is you planned the west coast gathering date over the orange county Obon festival. Luckily the festival is two days. So I can go to Obon festival Saturday and west coast gathering Sunday. I think there is a great appreciation for Japanese and Japanese culture here. Thank you for hosting our get together.

I used to play basketball on certain evenings at OCBC. I also used to be a board member of Nisei Week in LA.

I completely forgot that this day may conflict with Obon festivals. Luckily, the date does not conflict with Nisei Week.

poutine_boy
05-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Though I have friends who don't realize it is a racial slur as they thought they were merely abbreviating. I'll explain it to them and get, "Oh ****, yeah I didn't mean it like that."
No harm no foul.

I never heard of it as a racial slur. Never meant it like that.

but back to OT

so,

Tokojou from aoki ham &
suisin shironiko

anything else I should consider?

poutine_boy
05-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Is something like this, Moritaka Yanagiba (http://www.sliceandsear.com/moritaka-yanagiba-sashimi-knife-9-5-240mm/), not any good?

will be home use, is 240mm too short?

Andrew H
05-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Moritaka isn't a favorite around here because some of the grinds are suspect (over / under grinds that can ruin your knife). If you're dead set on buying from within Canada you should check out Tosho Knife Arts: https://toshoknifearts.com/shop/knives/style/yanagiba and Knife Toronto: http://knifetoronto.com/products/.

If you don't mind buying from the U.S. check out Japanese Knife Imports.

Mucho Bocho
05-21-2012, 12:53 PM
PBoy, I went with Mori knives when i first started too. I would not go that route again. They are good but the ones suggested above are better bets including the 300 Yaniagiba Hon Kasumi in Blue #2 Honton Sekon Dojo from Epic Edge (the one I have) $250. the profile is a little taller giving more surface area to use to arrange sliced fish on the plate. Amazing grind nothing else in this class for the $. At least that I could find and I'm a research-a-holic. IT why I love this forum and have great respect for its members.

schanop
05-21-2012, 06:27 PM
That moritaka is not even a single bevel knife.