PDA

View Full Version : Peaches Peaches Peaches

David Metzger
05-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Besides making some knives I grow peaches, and we peel a lot of peaches every year. I was just wondering what knife design you would recommend for peeling peaches with a picture or drawing if possible and the type of handle you like.

sachem allison
05-21-2012, 10:59 PM
i like to use a vintage Henckels birds beak paring knife, it fits the curve of the peach perfectly.

ajhuff
05-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Um... no knife and a pot of boiling water?

-AJ

NO ChoP!
05-21-2012, 11:59 PM
I like taking a Kyocera birdsbeak parer to the local orchards. The Kyocera is ceramic, and doesn't necessarily need to be wiped immediately ...

kalaeb
05-22-2012, 12:17 AM

-AJ

+1, we do a lot of canning, this is by far the best route. But...my 3.5 inch Pierre Rodrigue works pretty good too.

chinacats
05-22-2012, 12:34 AM
a funayuki...after boiling in earth juice:biggrin:

jmfreeman35
05-22-2012, 01:21 AM

-AJ

Agree. The only way to do mass amounts of peaches

Deckhand
05-22-2012, 02:02 AM
Messermeister serrated peeler

sachem allison
05-22-2012, 02:07 AM

-AJ
he is making knives and going to give one away. why are you guys throwing doubts and fly sh!t at him.:scratchhead::bat::spin chair:

steeley
05-22-2012, 05:05 AM
Sheepsfoot 3 1/2 inch to 4 western handle wood.
somewhere along this line.
http://limepic.com/img/2012/05/22/09czB.jpg

kalaeb
05-22-2012, 09:13 AM
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z349/mattstephens79/DSC_2225.jpg

David Metzger
05-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Great ideas everyone, keep it up. Rodrique is so beautiful. Messermeister - didn't know that would work! I thought some might say a petty. David

Crothcipt
05-23-2012, 01:01 AM
I really have yet to find a birds beak I like. I like a more forward start at the handle. here is somewhat what I would use. With a longer blade about 2x and larger handle.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/2-1-2-birds-beak-paring-knife-with-riveted-pom-handle/2-1-2-birds-beak-paring-knife-with-riveted-pom-handle.jpg

GlassEye
05-23-2012, 01:42 AM
I would use a petty for just a few or boiling water for many.

tk59
05-23-2012, 11:00 AM
I would imagine a bird's beak is gonna be best for this. I'd probably use a petty but I can't say I've ever peeled a peach.

VoodooMajik
05-23-2012, 03:15 PM
No suji's? XD

I'd use boiling water for large amounts and a 150 petty or my global tourne knife, Bit of a shallower, longer curve

Deckhand
05-23-2012, 03:25 PM
There is always this:biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbEBKk-em70&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Crothcipt
05-23-2012, 04:12 PM
hmm wonder how you would put a handle on that?

SpikeC
05-23-2012, 04:40 PM
My dad had a manual version of that.

wenus2
05-23-2012, 05:17 PM
Sheepsfoot 3 1/2 inch to 4...
I too like this for peeling about anything.
Need me one in single-bevel. I wouldn't suggest producing that particular preference to the masses, although it may go over well here.

Still-edo
05-23-2012, 05:42 PM
I use a pairing knife for almost everything in-hand, unless I can get away with a tourne. My mom on the other hand will only use a sheepsfoot. She says the flat blade gives her more control. Maybe I gotta make a switch.

tk59
05-23-2012, 06:05 PM
Interesting. I figure you're gonna have good control as long as the blade is relatively narrow. The design is all about getting more peel of per stroke, thus curve is worse than flat is worse than recurve.

wenus2
05-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Agreed Tinh, but that assumes the surface is uniformly concave. Elsewise the recurve may be gouging another area, or requiring very small cuts to avoid doing so.
Hence the preference for the flat surface. I find it better all-around and I only allot 1 slot for a little fella.

To each his own on this function No doubt, and I am surely in the minority, but that's what makes this place great... The variety of perspective.

Deckhand
05-24-2012, 10:22 PM
I have a tojiro senkou birds beak and a hattori FH paring that I can send you to look at if it helps. Pm if you need to take a look at them. That being said Rodrigue has made some nice ones both standard and sheepsfoot.

mr drinky
05-24-2012, 10:50 PM
I have two answers. If I used a knife I would use my Pierre sheep's foot parer, BUT I don't. For thin skinned things like peaches, tomatoes, and kiwi I use my Messermeister serrated peeler.

k.

Deckhand
05-25-2012, 12:18 AM
I have two answers. If I used a knife I would use my Pierre sheep's foot parer, BUT I don't. For thin skinned things like peaches, tomatoes, and kiwi I use my Messermeister serrated peeler.

k.
:D

mr drinky
05-25-2012, 12:24 AM
Good call deckhand, I just looked up thread and saw your response. I'm amazed at how well that serrated peeler works. Much less fruit loss than using a knife and unless you peel a boat load of fruit and are well practiced, it will be much quicker.

BUT...if one is looking for an excuse to buy a knife, the peeler solution is HORRIBLE. It will not satisfy any knife urges :)

k.

VoodooMajik
05-25-2012, 04:42 AM
Does the serrated peeler not leave a texture behind? I only really use peelers for carrots, squash and occasionally apples. I may also need to atleast try one, can always find someone who can use it.

** texture may not always matter in the final product. I just don't like it..

Deckhand
05-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Good call deckhand, I just looked up thread and saw your response. I'm amazed at how well that serrated peeler works. Much less fruit loss than using a knife and unless you peel a boat load of fruit and are well practiced, it will be much quicker.

BUT...if one is looking for an excuse to buy a knife, the peeler solution is HORRIBLE. It will not satisfy any knife urges :)

k.

I never need an excuse to buy another knife:biggrin:
Although stiction followed by release has gotten me doing radish mushrooms. Still looking for a solution.

mr drinky
05-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Does the serrated peeler not leave a texture behind? I only really use peelers for carrots, squash and occasionally apples. I may also need to atleast try one, can always find someone who can use it.

** texture may not always matter in the final product. I just don't like it..

Yeah, a little bit. Most of the times it doesn't matter, but I can see if you want nice clean cuts that the peeler is not the best option.

k.

David Metzger
05-29-2012, 08:02 PM
I decided to go with 3.5" sheepsfoot. The birds beak looks nice also. I will have to try that messermeister peeler also. Thanks again.

David

Justin0505
05-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Yeah, a little bit. Most of the times it doesn't matter, but I can see if you want nice clean cuts that the peeler is not the best option.

k.

Every time to topic of peeling anything comes up, I make the same recommendation, so Ill do it again,
this:
http://www.rosleusa.com/Swivel-Peeler-crosswise-plu12735.html

It's the only peeler that I know of where the blade is removable so that you can sharpen it yourself to an absurd, hair-peeling level.
You need something narrow to sharpen it; I use edge pro stones, but wet/dry sand paper over a strip of wood would work fine too. Up to 2K is available at any auto parts store, and once it start to wear out, it actually seem to give a finer than 2k polish anyway.

It's a little single bevel blade and while small, it's still much thicker and more rigid than any other that I've used so it doesn't stutter on tough stuff like squash. It leaves a nice sooth, almost polished look to the cut -kinda like a finishing plane.

The only down side, as others have mentioned, is that it's not a knife. However, you can always make a custom replacement blade out of AEB-L or CMP-154 or the new X-whatever steel... yeah, the blade would cost a few times the price of the peeler, but I'd probably buy one...

mr drinky
05-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Ahh. I forgot about Justin's peeler. I need to get one of those too.

k.

Justin0505
05-31-2012, 03:02 AM
Ahh. I forgot about Justin's peeler. I need to get one of those too.

k.

I will credit the great Gator of zknives for that discovery... I'm just preaching the word

VoodooMajik
05-31-2012, 03:54 AM
Might need one as well... hmmm. The fact the I can sharpen it.... I remember discovering I could sharpen a mandolin....

apicius9
05-31-2012, 04:26 AM
Nice, that Roesle one is going on my list. I have been reasonably happy with the Kyocera ceramic ones, but one can never have enough gadgets. BTW, where is Gator, haven't seen him around much lately?

Stefan

wenus2
05-31-2012, 10:37 PM
OK Fine, I'm in... you sold me. Pusher.

Mr. Amazon.... one Rosle crosswise swivel peeler please.
What's that? It will be on my doorstep next week?
Why thank you.

Justin0505
06-01-2012, 05:23 PM
OK Fine, I'm in... you sold me. Pusher.

Heh heh heh:devilburn:... always fun to return the favor to the rest of the forum and post something that makes OTHER people buy more sharp things.

Seriously though, not many times in the knife world where you can make a purchase and get the "best" of a category and only spend ~$20. I'm sure you guys will enjoy it.

Gravy Power
10-22-2012, 01:28 AM
Thanks, as always, this site is an incredible resource for aspiring kitchen folk.

edit: woops, wrong thread.

Gravy Power
03-13-2013, 10:43 PM
Had mine for a couple of months now, currently hunting down a current student with my Gyuto who borrowed it one day, with my permission, but forgot to return it. This same kid lost one of the screws earlier and I had to replace it via a hardware store. If you get one, attach it to yourself.

Once I get it back it's probably about do for a sharpening. Going to have to locate a skinny stone to do that with. Any cheap suggestions would be awesome.

GlassEye
03-14-2013, 02:16 AM
Had mine for a couple of months now, currently hunting down a current student with my Gyuto who borrowed it one day, with my permission, but forgot to return it. This same kid lost one of the screws earlier and I had to replace it via a hardware store. If you get one, attach it to yourself.

Once I get it back it's probably about do for a sharpening. Going to have to locate a skinny stone to do that with. Any cheap suggestions would be awesome.

Might be able to use the side of a stone you already have.

panda
03-15-2013, 04:19 AM
rosle really is the best peeler, i don't use anything else for peeling stuff besides a western paring knife. but be careful, it is basically surgical and will take chunks off your hand if not paying attention while mass peeling potatoes/carrots/etc... i've had the unfortunate experience of taking off a chunk of my palm whilst in use. first discovered it while bargain shopping at a homegoods.

i imagine you can buy replacement blades for it? wonder if there are any sources for it.

Gravy Power
03-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Might be able to use the side of a stone you already have.

Actually yes, that will work quite perfectly...

K9drivr
03-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Replacement blades are available here
http://www.abt.com/product/47648/Rosle-95979.html