PDA

View Full Version : Takeda Passaround

mhenry
05-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Thought I would try my own passaround. I don't ever recall seeing a Takeda passaround so I thought I would see if anyone would like to try one out. 250mm Sasanoha with a snakewood and palm handle. I would like to keep this to around six people assuming there is that much interest. I chose this knife because it does not have the standard blade height that I think scares so many people off from buying a Takeda this one is only 47mm tall. Please keep the knife for approx. a week and pass it on. It still has the factory edge and bevel. Feel free to sharpen it and use heavily, but please no bevel changing, polishing or thinning. If you are not comfy taking care of a carbon knife please pass on this one.
Thanks Mike

tk59
05-27-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm pretty curious about the non-standard Takedas. However, I've tried a couple so if there are a lot of folks interested that haven't, I'll pass. :) Thanks for putting it out there, Mike.

knyfeknerd
05-27-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm game. Looks beautiful, like all your other work. Would love to be "in".

kalaeb
05-27-2012, 07:05 PM
I have actually always wanted to try one. I would love to be in if possible.

Thanks, Matt

mhenry
05-27-2012, 07:46 PM
#1-knyfeknerd
#2 Kaleeb
Tk, I will include you also, and put you last on the list, so I get my knife back with a badass edge.

JohnnyChance
05-27-2012, 07:59 PM
I was just thinking today I should ask someone if I could borrow their Takeda gyuto. I like the height of this one too, more so than the standard takedas.

EdipisReks
05-27-2012, 08:04 PM
i would love to try yet another Takeda. i have a "standard" 240 and a "short" (though not that short) 240 to compare it to... and i once owned a CKTG "special" 270, which was more like 300mm.

The Edge
05-27-2012, 08:05 PM
I've only tried the takeda nakiri and western deba, so I'm interested in seeing how the gyuto handles. Please add me to the list.

mhenry
05-27-2012, 08:09 PM
#1-knyfeknerd
#2 Kaleeb
Tk, I will include you also, and put you last on the list, so I get my knife back with a badass edge.
JohnnyChance #3

mhenry
05-27-2012, 08:16 PM
JohnnyChance #3
Edipis #4
Taylor #5

Room for one maybe two more + TK

add
05-27-2012, 08:17 PM
Mike, if there is a spot available, in like Flint here...

Would love to try a Takeda and see your handle handiwork. :)

SpikeC
05-27-2012, 08:22 PM
I would like to try the handle, butt I have a 210 Takeda gyuto so I don't need the blade part!

obtuse
05-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Can i try?

mhenry
05-27-2012, 08:48 PM
Hey Guys a little disclaimer about the handle. Every time I make a handle I learn something new. The lesson I learned with this one is to always use stabilized Snakewood. It has moved a bit and the joint at the ferrule is obvious you can feel the seam. After this passaround the handle is getting crushed in the vise, and replaced.I would like this to be about the blade and not the handle, as it is not an accurate representation of what I am currently making. That being said I would like you guys to be really rough on the handle. I am curious to see how the wood holds up.

Pabloz
05-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Please count me in.

THANKS,
PZ

mhenry
05-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Paul you are in and the last, passaround is closed. Thanks

Pabloz
05-27-2012, 09:10 PM
WHOA!!!!!! Too cool.

mhenry
05-27-2012, 09:29 PM
So a..... Spike you in?

I would like to try the handle, butt I have a 210 Takeda gyuto so I don't need the blade part!

ThEoRy
05-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Crap!!! Friggin late tables!!!

Crothcipt
05-27-2012, 11:25 PM
wow how generous. I love my handle by him. Hope everyone likes the Takada.

SpikeC
05-27-2012, 11:39 PM
I will leave a space for someone else, thanks. My Takeda has told me all I need to know!

obtuse
05-28-2012, 12:19 AM
Ive always wanted to try a takeda

tk59
05-28-2012, 01:35 AM
Sweet! I'm looking forward to it. :)

mhenry
05-28-2012, 08:52 AM
The List
1-knyfeknerd
2-Kaleeb
3-Johnnychance
4-Edipisreks
5-The Edge
6-Add
7-Obtuse
8-Pablo
9-TK59
I am just going to leave the order as-is unless you guys think of something better

obtuse
05-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Awesome thanks mike!

EdipisReks
05-28-2012, 03:49 PM
it can go to me last. send it to people who have never tried Takedas first, i'd say.

knyfeknerd
05-28-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm giving up my spot so maybe ThEoRy can get in at the bottom of the list-if this is cool with Mike. PM sent! Maybe next time I'll get on it!

mhenry
05-28-2012, 07:39 PM
ThEoRy you want in?

ThEoRy
05-28-2012, 08:10 PM
ThEoRy you want in?

Ummm yeah! Never used a takeda before, this is going to be awesome! Thanks

add
05-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Mike, thanks again for the opportunity. :cool2:

Does it makes sense to do the pass-along in some sort of general geographical order (ie transit times/tracking/shipping costs)?

FWIW, Pac NW here.

mhenry
05-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Mike, thanks again for the opportunity. :cool2:

Does it makes sense to do the pass-along in some sort of general geographical order (ie transit times/tracking/shipping costs)?

FWIW, Pac NW here.

It does, I went ahead and started with Kaleeb it's in transit , he is going to see TK on the on the 6th or 7th I think and pass it off after TK we will figure where to send it next

Pabloz
05-30-2012, 09:52 PM
I like being right before Tinh because I am looking forward a critique about the edge he'll get from me.

kalaeb
05-30-2012, 09:56 PM
I like being right before Tinh because I am looking forward a critique about the edge he'll get from me.

By the same token, its always best to have you last because any damage done by the others will be fixed by you, then some.

kalaeb
06-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Man, this thing works like a champ on box tops. Love that AS.

brainsausage
06-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Late to the party again... :(

obtuse
06-10-2012, 05:31 AM
I can't wait to see some reviews :)

apicius9
06-10-2012, 05:40 AM
I can't wait to see some reviews :)

I'd like to have a peak when you have it here, I love the blade profile on that one. I also realized I haven't used my 210 in ages, have to change that...

Stefan

obtuse
06-10-2012, 05:46 AM
I'd like to have a peak when you have it here, I love the blade profile on that one. I also realized I haven't used my 210 in ages, have to change that...

Stefan

Certainly!

mhenry
06-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Damn! I should have put a better handle on it.

Stefan

JohnnyChance
06-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Got it today.

mhenry
06-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Cool, looks like Theory is in Jersey we might want to keep it on the east before it goes out west. Anyone else on the east coast chime in.

ThEoRy
07-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Okay knife arrived Monday on my day off and for once this year I actually had 2 days off in a row. Tomorrow I will be bringing it in to work with me.

Pabloz
07-13-2012, 07:35 PM
I got it yesterday and opened it today.

First impressions: BEAUTIFUL handle. Looks like Snakewood or Lacewood w/a Black Palm ferrule. A little shrinkage has occurred, which is to be expected. Probably even more before it leaves here...avg. humidity around 12-15% right now. Nice profile and makers marks are crisp and clean...they look cool. Edge has one little nick on the front side only. That is totally wierd to me. It does not go through to the back side?????? I'll touch that up when I put a fresh edge on it. Hopefully the Sigma II will show up and I can try it on here...if not I'll go to Chosera 5K. Pics to follow later...battery died on camera.

Hey Tihn...you still after me??? I hope so. Would really love your feedback on one of my edges.

Thanks again Mike. This is really great of you. Just an all around nice guy HUH!

PZ

ThEoRy
07-14-2012, 12:04 AM
Ok while it's fresh in my mind.

When I opened the box I said "wow that's really thin" Then I flexed it quite a bit and said, "maybe too thin". I didn't sharpen it or anything because I wanted to test it as is first. Used it exclusively on a variety of products for a week. I kept feeling like it was just a fantastic cutter. And it was. The super thinness never bothered me in practice. I never sharpened it all week, just honed it mid shift and stropped it on felt at home. Sure I could have taken it to the rika 5k maybe and got her super scary sharp but honestly the geometry of the blade and relative sharpness combined with the AS resilience simply carried it all week. I wanted to see how far I could go without sharpening and really I could have gone for weeks and weeks perhaps.

Only problem I had was reactivity with shallots. I super finely diced some shallots and usually they would last me for quite while in refrigerated units, these perfectly diced shallots barely made it past day 2 before turning black. That was my only disappointment really. More patina would help with this, or is it simply the kurochi finish which caused this.

Nice job on the handle too, excellent choice of woods. Very fitting for this blade. There was a minor fit issue on one side of the handle where the ferrule meets the handle where you can feel one is slightly higher than the other. I'm sure you knew about that already though. If you didn't maybe it swelled/shrunk to create that slight ridge. Nothing a little sanding wont fix though. Still nothing that took me out of the zone with this blade.

Overall a great knife and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to purchase it if they were looking for a wa laser in super steel.

Question, are the regular Takedas this thin as well or no?

Thanks again for letting me participate in this pass around. It has given me great insight into Takeda knives and certainly piqued my own interest in owning one. Or a few. :D

JohnnyChance
07-14-2012, 12:11 AM
I didn't sharpen it or anything because I wanted to test it as is first. Used it exclusively on a variety of products for a week. I kept feeling like it was just a fantastic cutter. And it was. The super thinness never bothered me in practice. I never sharpened it all week, just honed it mid shift and stropped it on felt at home. Sure I could have taken it to the rika 5k maybe and got her super scary sharp but honestly the geometry of the blade and relative sharpness combined with the AS resilience simply carried it all week. I wanted to see how far I could go without sharpening and really I could have gone for weeks and weeks perhaps.

Also, I sharpened it when I got it, used it all week and sent it to you without touching up the edge.

ThEoRy
07-14-2012, 01:36 AM
Also, I sharpened it when I got it, used it all week and sent it to you without touching up the edge.

Yeah I could tell it hadn't been sharpened before shipping since the edge was black and not shiny. This just confirms that this knife can go a loooong ways between sharpenings.

mhenry
07-14-2012, 09:32 PM
"Question, are the regular Takedas this thin as well or no?"

Yes they are, and thinner

ThEoRy
07-14-2012, 11:32 PM
So the taller gyutos are as thin or thinner? Are they as flexible too?

EdipisReks
07-14-2012, 11:40 PM
i have a tall Takeda and a less tall Takeda. neither was brand new, but the tall Takeda is certainly easier to make very thin.

Pabloz
07-15-2012, 12:00 AM
So far I like thinner blades. I guess it is due to not being in a production setting. Had a faculty chef over today and he really liked the feel of it. One of his favorite features was the texture left over from the forging....gave him a little extra friction with his pinch grip.
I really never noticed any flexing while cutting anything. I'll put a fresh edge on it, play some more and send it out to Tihn on Monday.
I wish I could give a more informative critique. I think it's a great knife albeit the texture and finish of the forging is just a little rough for me. I'll see what it does tomorrow with a fresh edge.

Here are the pics I promised earlier.

THANKS AGAIN Mike.

PZ

Crothcipt
07-15-2012, 12:30 AM
something happened Pablo to the pics.

DwarvenChef
07-15-2012, 03:20 AM
I would love to play with a Takeda gyuto but do not trust myself :p I LOVE Takeda's work and would be happy with a full set LOL

Pabloz
07-15-2012, 11:57 PM
something happened Pablo to the pics.

OK i'll try again.

I don't know why this is happening. They show up in the post editor but not in the post....please click on the file name and it'll take you to the photo.

Also, I put a fresh edge on it and it fell through potatos and tomatos easily. Raised a burr QUICK and stropped out nicely. This does cut with a silky feel to me. I just don't think I could live with the forge scale on my personal knives. Chef James likes it for the extra grip though. I guess if I had to custom make a forged knife I would have to get some more coaching from my mentor.

Anyway, the best part of the knife to me was the handle. Absolutely loved the color and texture combination. I can only put it as simply ELEGANT!!!

Thanks again Mike.

PZ

Johnny.B.Good
07-16-2012, 12:00 AM
OK i'll try again.

Maybe the third time will be the charm PZ...

Crothcipt
07-16-2012, 12:17 AM
ya I click on the link and it sends me to a "invalid link" page. I get this some times when I dl them all togather and not one at a time. (many editing to figure that out.)

Pabloz
07-16-2012, 12:33 AM

There ya go. Uploaded them one at a time and it WORKED. WHO KNEW.

Sorry for all the duplicate posts. Mods please delete anything necessary.

PZ

Johnny.B.Good
07-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Bingo.

mhenry
07-16-2012, 11:10 AM
WOW! That gap at the ferrule is getting huge

kalaeb
07-16-2012, 11:31 AM
WOW! That gap at the ferrule is getting huge

They are both palm, right. Black palm and red palm? I would think they would shrink at the same rate. Guess not, between Utah and NM it probably shrank a fair amount. When I had it, even with the shrinkage, the union between the two was still solid. The handle is well constructed, but 5-10 % RH shrinks everything.

mhenry
07-16-2012, 11:51 AM
The ferrule is Black Palm, handle Snakewood (unstabilized):slaphead:. I am going to try it again with a stabilized block when it gets back, hopefully it will do better

They are both palm, right. Black palm and red palm? I would think they would shrink at the same rate. Guess not, between Utah and NM it probably shrank a fair amount. When I had it, even with the shrinkage, the union between the two was still solid. The handle is well constructed, but 5-10 % RH shrinks everything.

tk59
07-28-2012, 02:02 PM
Okay, looks like it's time to send this knife home. It works very nicely, much like a standard Takeda. It is more flexible than I expected but it didn't bother me while cutting. The one thing I didn't like was the curvature right by the heel. That's mainly aesthetic but I could definitely feel that the heel wasn't as low as I wanted it to be. The handle hasn't changed since it arrived. It looks just like it does in Paul's pics. It doesn't need sharpening per se although in my opinion, a little thinning near the tip is in order. Lemme know if you still want it sharpened/thinned. Thanks for letting me test drive it! :)

obtuse
07-28-2012, 05:05 PM
I think I got passed over on the list.

mhenry
07-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Okay, looks like it's time to send this knife home. It works very nicely, much like a standard Takeda. It is more flexible than I expected but it didn't bother me while cutting. The one thing I didn't like was the curvature right by the heel. That's mainly aesthetic but I could definitely feel that the heel wasn't as low as I wanted it to be. The handle hasn't changed since it arrived. It looks just like it does in Paul's pics. It doesn't need sharpening per se although in my opinion, a little thinning near the tip is in order. Lemme know if you still want it sharpened/thinned. Thanks for letting me test drive it! :)

I think I got passed over on the list.

TK your welcome. Obtuse you haven't been passed over, I just kinda lost control of my passaround, and got of order. You and Stefan are next can you contact TK with your shipping address?

obtuse
07-28-2012, 09:57 PM
TK your welcome. Obtuse you haven't been passed over, I just kinda lost control of my passaround, and got of order. You and Stefan are next can you contact TK with your shipping address?

Cool, I'll do this right away :)

tk59
07-28-2012, 11:54 PM
Sounds good. I'll ship it with the Sigma 1.2k on Monday, hopefully. :)

Salty dog
07-29-2012, 12:05 AM
Does this one spring back when flexed or stay slightly bent?

JohnnyChance
07-29-2012, 01:00 AM

I flexed it to see how flexible it was and to see if it sprung back. It did, but I did not flex it as much as possible as I didn't want to permanently bend Mike's knife.

ThEoRy
07-29-2012, 11:22 AM

I flexed it pretty far, without carelessly forcing it, to see how much it could go and it sprung back.

tk59
07-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Gee, I'm sure Mike can't wait to let you guys try out some of his other knives, lol. The blade does look pretty straight to me.

tk59
08-01-2012, 01:15 AM
I worked the secondary bevel a little, esp toward the tip and I didn't get a chance to really finish the left side but this knife and the sigma 1.2k stone are on their way to Hawaii.

obtuse
08-01-2012, 01:51 AM
Sweet! Can't wait :)

Crothcipt
08-01-2012, 03:21 AM
Wish I was on my way to Hawaii.

obtuse
08-06-2012, 12:13 PM
The knife and stone arrived safely. Hopefully I'll get a chance to use them tonight.

obtuse
08-08-2012, 01:43 PM
A few things to note: TK your sharpening job is one of the finest I've ever run my three finders across. I'm curious about how you finished the edge, because it has the perfect amount of bite. The handle doesn't seem too bad, just a little raised at the ferrule, snake wood junction. Very nice handle by the way, symmetry and proportions are excellent. I'll report more on how the blade performs after I've used it more.

obtuse
08-20-2012, 12:40 AM
The Takeda had a nice visit with Stefan today. It will be on its way to ADD tomorrow.

add
08-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Knife showed yesterday, well packed- thanks Obtuse.

Thanks again Mike for the opportunity.
GREAT handle btw.

I'll hold it a few days, post some thoughts and send it on. :)

add
09-11-2012, 01:22 PM
First, thanks again Mike for doing this. :)

Next, what a neat handle. Ya got skilz!
Tapered, great wood (the combo works well with the blade finish), and yes, just a wee bit of differential swelling/shrinkage where the two species meet. No biggie though, imo.

This was my first time handling a Takeda.
Nice deep makers's stamp, straight blade, thin behind the edge, and what appears to be a very durable kurouchi finish.

I tend to like the rustic stuff but prefer to have the spine and choil area to be more rounded than this example, personal preference only.

Someone mentioned flex in the knife and honestly would not have even been aware of any unless I went looking for it... so, when wiping the blade against my leg on a towel with moderate pressure, there it was. But the knife tracked really well through all foods cut.

Blade was sharp and remained so through a few nights of home cooking- with the knife being used as the sole cutter from prep through any post cooking chores. No blade stink but mildly reactive to citrus.

Handling- This was the one area that caught me a bit off guard. It took me a couple sessions on the board to get used to the blade shape and proportions- maybe a gyuto-suji type hybrid going on here?

The first time I used the knife it actually felt a bit awkward. Went back and saw this was a 250mm. The largest blade I own is a 240 and that one has been put away for most of the summer. But after some more time and some adjustments I got much more comfortable with it. Also, a nice tip for finer work.

Thinness- again some here already mentioned this being a thin knife. That remains comparative (which is what I find the most valuable aspect of these pass-arounds). I have a Carter Wabocho that makes the Takeda look like a candidate for the fat farm. But for this user's preference this Takeda has the "Mama Bear" thickness... just right.

Overall, a very enjoyable knife to try and just a wonderful opportunity to have some Takeda experience, which makes reading about others' reference to his work that more meaningful.

This is a maker, with his signature style, who would seem a standard for quality kurouchi knives.

Knife was sent on to The Edge last week.

The Edge
09-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Just waiting for a day off to pick it up at the post office. I know it's there mocking me, just singing its siren song! Looks like it will be in my hand Thursday morning at the earliest. I can't wait!

The Edge
09-14-2012, 01:31 AM
Just unwrapped the knife tonight!! Surprising how thin and light it feels. And I even have one of his small nakiri's. I'll be able to give a better review of how it works for me after a couple days.

mhenry
09-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Update?

The Edge
09-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Got to use the knife for a couple weeks, and have to say I'm surprised how well it performed. I think the biggest surprise was how little stiction it had. There isn't anything I can say that's bad about the knife except that I have to send it on. It was put in the mail yesterday, and will be at the next lucky reviewer by early next week. Thanks again for doing this Mike, even though I have a Takeda nakiri, this knife clearly performed better.

mhenry
09-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Thanks Taylor for the update