PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite stones?

Dave Martell
05-28-2012, 10:49 PM
So what are your favorite sharpening stones, the ones that you just can't live without, the ones that would get replaced immediately if something were to happen to them? I'd like to hear your thoughts on what you love & why you love them so much, what they're used for, etc.

I was just cleaning & flattening my stones and the thought came to me how a few of these are irreplaceable for one reason or another. Here's my favs....

I have to start off with what I consider to be the Holy Trinity of double bevel Japanese knife sharpening. I simply can't imagine not having this to use as a set.

Beston 500x - best all around coarse stone to start off almost every sharpening session with. A must have for AS steel

Bester 1200x - I simply can't make a more crisper near perfect bevel if I don't roll through this stone on my way up the ladder. This one also serves as my ura (back side) single bevel flattening stone, it's white color greatly helps here.

Suehiro Rika 5k - I could love this stone for no other reason than it's feel, what a joy to use. Good thing that it also aids greatly in the making that all around toothy edge serving as the last stone needed for the gyuto & nakiri.

Now I'll mention the must have coarse stones I keep on hand always.

Gesshin 400x - One of the few stones that went into my bucket and never came out. I find this stone is a must have for single bevel, it makes quick work of cladding prep on blade roads. I'm at about 3/8" on my current stone so Jon's got an order coming soon from me.

Pink Brick 220x - I can't say it's all love here because I also sort of hate this stone, or I hate that I need it, but it's one that I always re-order over and over again. I like to think of this as my "use in case of emergency" stone. It's just a serious steel hogger - well that is if you keep it flat while using it. Get the point of why I hate it?

Then there's this stone that came to me and I fell in so lust for right away. I'd re-order it again if I had to.

Takashima Awasedo (large) - I can't really describe what exactly I use this stone for but I love it anyway. It's a stone that feels great to use, smells earthy, is nice and soft, super muddy, and one that I think about all the time. Yeah like I said, I lust over this stone.

Now for my long term deep love affairs....

King 800x XL - This is one of my most used stones - great feel, lots of mud, and essential to aesthetics. I use this to blend bevels during a hamguriba grind single bevels and wide blade doubles like Takeda, etc. and I use it to create the base for a misty bevel look. I went through maybe 5 normal sized stones before buying my current XL version and I re-fell in love with this stone after getting the big boy size because it's so much more effective and it wears so much slower. I don;t think that I could professionally sharpen Japanese knives if I could not have this stone anymore.

King 1200x - My 2nd favorite 1k(ish) stone. This is IMO soooo much better of a stone than most everything out there. It allows for perfect feedback for locking up on the bevel, cuts super quick, and provides excellent pre-polish for jumping to 5-6k. Considering the cost it's highly recommended from me. Beware though - this isn't the crappy King 1k found everywhere, it's hard to imagine they're made by the same company.

Synthetic Aoto XL - I'm starting to tear up here, my old aoto is getting REAL thin and needing replacement soon and I can't hardly stand the thought of putting this old gal out to pasture but I will. I love this stone for it's size, it's feel, it's burr reduction capability, it's polishing, mud making, and ability to push the quality of a single bevels' edge to really high levels. I've been lucky with my stone (whereas many haven't been) as it's still in one piece and has been living in my bucket since day #1 which was probably 5-6 yrs ago. Yup my aoto is old, delicate, and really thin but one that I need to replace soon.

Kitayama - I saved the best for last. This is a controversial stone - a love it or hate it stone - but one that I figured out early on and has come back to help me push my edges to the highest levels over and over again. I find this stone to be absolutely 100% necessary to providing the level of edge quality that I've come to give for single bevel Japanese knife sharpening. This stone takes the edge quality left from any previous stone (even 10, 12, 15, & 30k) and pumps it up to make it even better while also providing the ultimate pre-strop ready edge. I've had my Kitayama since I started hand sharpening at the very beginning, it's getting real thin but it's slow wearer that still has lots of life in it. Boy if this stone could talk, it's tell some sharpening stories, it's got a ton of miles on it - mucho grande! Yup I'll replace this one day but not until I've sharpened another thousand knives or so. :)

So what are your loves?

tk59
05-28-2012, 11:09 PM
For fast removal of pretty much any steel on any type of knife: Gesshin 400. IMO, this stone has no weakness. I like the effectiveness of the Beston 500 but I don't like the "sound" and I've found chunks of gravel mixed into the stones.

1k ish stones: Best combination of feel and finish is Gesshin 2k but I'm finding that I get sharper with the Sigma Select II 1.2k. It's a harder stone and leaves some faceting on large bevels but I love this stone as a pre-finisher for double bevels.

3-5k stones: Gesshin 5k for burr reduction and Rika for finish.

8k+: Awasedo (what Dave said), coticule (possibly favorite edge for carbon steel and less wear resistance stainless), 8kSS (I just like it. I'm not sure why.)

Dave's old strop. Not the HA and not the most recent variation... Best strop ever made, IMO.

Honorable mention goes to sintered diamond "stones" and sigma power 400/Gesshin 1k. The diamond stones are growing on me and they give super aggressive edges without the crappy, crunchiness of DMT/Atoma's and I still appreciate a nice splash n go. Dang... I like a lot of stones... I'll stop now though... Gesshin 4k should have a place somewhere... Choseras...

BTW, Kitayama 8k... meh...

Marko Tsourkan
05-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Beston 500 - can't have too many of those, love this stone
Beser 1200 - same as above
JNS 1K - hard stone, cuts very fast, I like it a lot
DMT (1200 equivalent) plate - splash and go, no flattening needed
Rika 5K
DMT 8K use to finish DMT 1200
Jnat in 8K range - use after DMT 1200 for an aggressive and lasting edge
My own felt with diamond spray strop

EdipisReks
05-29-2012, 12:45 AM
my Kitayama is probably my absolute favorite stone, followed by my green brick of joy. i don't really have any favorite coarse stones, though i really like the finish the King 800 can produce, though i wish it were faster. i really like my Shoubudani Asagi, but it is too specialized in terms of what steels it works well with that i can't quite say it's a favorite. when it works, though, it really works! i have a bunch of other stones that i use regularly, but the Kitayama and the green brick get used constantly.

Eamon Burke
05-29-2012, 12:57 AM
I've got some weird ones.

Shapton Pro 2k. I absolutely love the feel of it, because I learned to sharpen on it. It's fast, hard, and mostly splash and go(the entire Shapton Pro series benefits greatly from like 5 Minutes of being wet). It just ends up finding it's way in when I get confused or am testing out a new blade, because I know it so well. If you are patient and diligent, you can keep up your knives with just this one stone and a leather strop.

Maruka Nakayama fingerstones. I love them because I love how they feel, and they end up producing my favorite finish on every knife I used them on. If I bring out the pattern in my Shig with these things, the steel is actually less reactive. I want a real one so bad, but it's like a rent payment to get one.

Atoma 140x. Amazing. Solves countless problems. If I were sent back to the year 1000 and could only bring one thing, it might be this dead-flat, structured-abrasive diamond plate.

This is the most unexpected one, even to me:

Naniwa Aotoshi. One of the strangest things that has ever happened to me. I tried around a dozen stones in a quest for an elusive thing--a SINGLE synthetic stone that can go straight from a diamond plate and finish a cheap stainless blade, like Forschner or Wusthof. I do not understand why, but I spent literally hours trying to figure out what the hell is up with this stone, and I still don't know. If you put a good knife on it--Swedish Carbon, 154CM, even VG10, the edge is pretty crappy. It's like the edge off a cheap ceramic rod. But you put a Calphalon or Pampered Chef on it, and it brings out the absolute best in those blades, it's fast on them, it leaves a consumer-friendly shiny bevel, and it's soft enough that if you wobble over the edge, it'll lose a chunk of itself and not damage your crappy Chinese stainless. I have a booth at a Farmer's Market, and if I dropped this thing or it got stolen, I'd just have to buy another one.

*edit* Forgot to add the Aotoshi feels like crap and is not fun to sharpen with. It's all results and no help at all. It's like having a guy help you move you that doesn't speak your language, won't look at you, forgets things, and smokes indoors, but can lift an entertainment center by himself.

unkajonet
05-29-2012, 01:17 AM
Rika 5k for the feedback

Gesshin 5k. Just a great stone.

Gesshin 20k, because sometimes I just want a super refined edge.

Gesshin 10k - My FAVORITE stone. Harder than the SS10k, leaves a great finish and a very nice bite for a 10k stone.

mattrud
05-29-2012, 01:26 AM
Dave- do you remember the first time you used a kitayama? I do.

tk59
05-29-2012, 01:26 AM
Rika 5k for the feedback

Gesshin 5k. Just a great stone.

Gesshin 20k, because sometimes I just want a super refined edge.

Gesshin 10k - My FAVORITE stone. Harder than the SS10k, leaves a great finish and a very nice bite for a 10k stone. Aw, man. Really? Do I need a G10k?

mattrud
05-29-2012, 01:31 AM
My current stone line-up and a great one

500 beston
1200 bester
rika 5k
gesshin 8k
strop (s)

Love all of the stones. I feel that after I go through the beston and bester I will switch to Gesshin stones, But I really like the 1200 bester and that may have to stay. I love the 8k gesshin, feed back, speed, refined yet toothy edge.

I have used the awesado and also have these innate love for it. But my current lineup is a staple and I can not see it changing anytime soon.

Yes I have a kitayama, and it has its place with certain knives. and not ever knife gets the same treatment.

stereo.pete
05-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Aw, man. Really? Do I need a G10k?

LOL, I was thinking the same thing, but then there's always the 8k as well.

For me I've only ever used two sets of stones, Shapton Pro 1k, 2k and 5k and my most recent addition of the Gesshin line, 400, 2k and 4k. I am absolutely smitten by the Gesshins and I have stopped using my Shaptons.

Dusty
05-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Naniwa ss400. In my opinion it feels a fair bit nicer than the beston 500, cuts almost as fast and leaves a nicer finish.

Rika 5k for all the reasons outlined above.

This thread has given me a great list of stones to try!

GlassEye
05-29-2012, 02:03 AM
Takashima Awasedo, the one stone I have that would be greatly missed.

The Chosera 3k has a great feel and leaves a brighter polish than the 5k, but I almost always skip the 3k to save time.

I will also mention that I pretty much hate the DMT 325, useless for flattening, doesn't cut fast enough on anything (cheap stainless, stones, good steel), will stick to stones so badly that sometimes I think it won't ever release.

Dave Martell
05-29-2012, 02:15 AM
Dave- do you remember the first time you used a kitayama? I do.

Yup I sure do Matt. hey do you realize that we learned to sharpen at the same time together? I was thinking about that the other day when talking about you with Robin. Lots of experimenting in the lab on wheels. :)

obtuse
05-29-2012, 04:30 AM
Im still using my jks 10000 I love that stone for edge trailing strokes ala carter.

mainaman
05-29-2012, 07:09 AM
800 King SS - very muddy and really fast stone I like it a lot.
1k JNS/Chosera
After 1k synthetic I use a variety of Jnats

bieniek
05-29-2012, 07:26 AM
I miss king 1.2K so bad for those single bevel knives not worthy of nice kasumi.
Without any other stone in between it could easily remove scratches from DMT C [not XXC].
The mud works well, the stone is fast and in near future I will definitely go for XL size.

Naniwa 10K SS - super nice feel to that stone. Much better than 8K. I dont know why. When I got them both I would use the 10K instead 8 as finisher. Felt tougher, somewhat faster?

I think I could go without JNS 1K but its very nice stone and this paired with white binsui and fine nagura makes nearly perfect double bevel setup. Just some strop on top of that and whoooooooa!

bikehunter
05-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Quote Dave:

King 1200x - My 2nd favorite 1k(ish) stone. This is IMO soooo much better of a stone than most everything out there. It allows for perfect feedback for locking up on the bevel, cuts super quick, and provides excellent pre-polish for jumping to 5-6k. Considering the cost it's highly recommended from me. Beware though - this isn't the crappy King 1k found everywhere, it's hard to imagine they're made by the same company.

Hmm...quite disappointing considering that the King 1000 (or 1000/6000 combo) used to be what every forum newbie was told is the way to get started with waterstones. Why do you suppose the 1200 and the 8000 are so highly regarded and the 1000, apparently is "crappy". ?????

Dave Martell
05-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Quote Dave:King 1200x - My 2nd favorite 1k(ish) stone. This is IMO soooo much better of a stone than most everything out there. It allows for perfect feedback for locking up on the bevel, cuts super quick, and provides excellent pre-polish for jumping to 5-6k. Considering the cost it's highly recommended from me. Beware though - this isn't the crappy King 1k found everywhere, it's hard to imagine they're made by the same company.

Hmm...quite disappointing considering that the King 1000 (or 1000/6000 combo) used to be what every forum newbie was told is the way to get started with waterstones. Why do you suppose the 1200 and the 8000 are so highly regarded and the 1000, apparently is "crappy". ?????

I've never liked the King 1k and I'm not that big a fan of the 8k either. The 6k is REAL bad :vmc:

bikehunter
05-29-2012, 07:05 PM
I've never liked the King 1k and I'm not that big a fan of the 8k either. The 6k is REAL bad :vmc:

Huh. And the 1000/6000 combos are the ones which King has decided to sell by the thousands. interesting if nothing else

tk59
05-29-2012, 07:08 PM
It's also interesting that Murray Carter uses those.

Rottman
05-29-2012, 07:17 PM
It's also interesting that Murray Carter uses those.
He probably hates them too and just uses them to show what he can do even with crappy stones:rofl2:

Eamon Burke
05-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Well, he HAS sharpened on a cinderblock and a piece of cardboard for that exact reason. He uses them because they are cheap, widely available, and helps to underscore his methods of focusing on technique over tool.

Which is true, but your tools don't HAVE to suck.

Rottman
05-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Well, he HAS sharpened on a cinderblock and a piece of cardboard for that exact reason.
For me that belongs to the survival/Robinson Crusoe section, same thing goes for wearing a gun in a holster while riding the motorbike in one of his vids (but maybe my eyes are getting bad). Don't get mey wrong, I really like Murrays knives.

Justin0505
05-29-2012, 08:26 PM
*edit* Forgot to add the Aotoshi feels like crap and is not fun to sharpen with. It's all results and no help at all. It's like having a guy help you move you that doesn't speak your language, won't look at you, forgets things, and smokes indoors, but can lift an entertainment center by himself.

LOL! I gotta be careful about reading KKF while eating... almost had a gazpacho-out-the-nose incident.

All of my favorites have already been mentioned, but I'll list 'em anyway:

Takishima Awesedo (L): this stone makes me wish that I could sharpen one-handed and that I was ambidextrous just so that I could use 2 at the same time. Before using this stone, I thought that the j-nat crowd had a bit of a mental disorder, but now I realize that such disorders can be easily contracted from exposure to takishima mud.

Dave's 2k "blue" synth Aoto (XXXL): I added the 3'rd X because it really is a huge stone, and it's also dirty... dirty in a good way, but perhaps it needs an age/experience restriction so that new sharpeners don't watch it and then get unrealistic expectations and think that all stones behave this way. Heeding Dave's warning that it's a little fragile / unstable and might fall to pieces if I'm too rough, I dressed mine up with and epoxy&tissue paper wrap and a granite base. Despite the nice clothes, it lives in a bucket, so it's always wet and ready to go.
On a more serious note: I have never used another stone that made creating an even finish this easy.

JNS 4k: just when I think that I'm starting to understand the way things work in the world of knives, I have my mind blown. I always thought that "higher-grit = slower cutting".... WRONG! meet the JNS 4k... cuts so crazy fast, that I really dont NEED a lower-grit stone unless I'm drastically changing a bevel or doing some major thinning. It also cuts everything that it touches. 154cm or cpm, sg2, zdp189, s30v? Meh, no problemo. The feel is really interesting too: smooth like a high grit stone, and very even, but oddly aggressive at the same time... like you can feel it peeling the dull steel away. It leaves a very bright finish.

JNS 400: FEED MEE THEODORE!!! This stone eats steel so quickly and feels both wonderful and terrifying at the same time that it would be easy to fall into a trance and end up holding a steel-less handle. It's a great "boo-boo eraser" or bevel flatterer or behind-the-edge-thinner. It seems to shed mud fast enough that it doesn't ever clog, and doesn't have the cinder-block feel of many coarse stones.

HA horse-hide strop and Dave's .25 poly diamond spray: This is like the salt&pepper of my edge recipes: just about everyone includes it. It works on just about any steel and it's one hell of a corpse reviver (keeps bringing back dead edges again and again).

JBroida
05-29-2012, 08:29 PM
jns 400 and 4k?

joec
07-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Hi Dave.

I haven't been around much but mine is still the Shapton Glass stones in 2x intervals from 200 to 8K followed by the Kitayama and the strops. I am using a simple double sided diamond stones I can carry when hunting for my skinning knives. But then a skinning knife doesn't need the finish a kitchen knife does.

Dave Martell
07-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Hi Joe,
It's good to see you posting. I hope you and Dawn are doing good these days. :)

Hey you got your set figured out and that's great and yeah I agree that diamond for a skinning knife is perfect.

Take care,
Dave

joec
07-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Hi Joe,
It's good to see you posting. I hope you and Dawn are doing good these days. :)

Hey you got your set figured out and that's great and yeah I agree that diamond for a skinning knife is perfect.

Take care,
Dave

We are doing great, now that both us are now drawing Social Security and Medicare. We are doing fine with retirement and regular doctor visits so we can at least get back some of the money paid in. Shayla and her husband are now working the property all but a couple of days a week. :biggrin:

knyfeknerd
07-24-2013, 10:41 PM
It's funny I've never seen this thread before. I think it's awesome 2 of Dave's faves are the King 800 and 1200. They are 2 of my most-used, favorites. I was always kinda embarrassed to tell anyone because they are so cheap!-Well, not in quality.

Dave Martell
07-24-2013, 10:46 PM
We are doing great, now that both us are now drawing Social Security and Medicare. We are doing fine with retirement and regular doctor visits so we can at least get back some of the money paid in.

That's great to hear.

Shayla and her husband are now working the property all but a couple of days a week. :biggrin:

Shayla and her what? When did this happen? Well congrats!! :thumbsup:

Dave Martell
07-24-2013, 10:48 PM
It's funny I've never seen this thread before. I think it's awesome 2 of Dave's faves are the King 800 and 1200. They are 2 of my most-used, favorites. I was always kinda embarrassed to tell anyone because they are so cheap!-Well, not in quality.

Yeah they get dissed but I swear by them. I use the 800x all of the time too but I've got one of those ginormous suckers and that's even nicer. :)

EdipisReks
07-24-2013, 10:55 PM
I have a regular King 800, and I use it an awful lot, especially for polishing finishes.

my current sharpening setup is my favorite yet: Shapton Pro 320->1000 Chosera->Gesshin 8000.

joec
07-24-2013, 11:01 PM
That's great to hear.

Shayla and her what? When did this happen? Well congrats!! :thumbsup:

She has been married going on 2 1/2 years and now has a daughter named Jewelya with the picture below taken on the 17th of this month of her first birthday party with Shayla and David her husband. Oh and that is great grand child #7. :lol2:

TheDispossessed
07-24-2013, 11:10 PM
spoiled myself early on (after a year with a togiharu 1k/4k combo), with gesshin 400, 2k, 4k. have to say, i find myself really enjoying sharpening with these guys. i keep 'em in the pond all the time.
just found a shapton pro 1500 at work, been digging that too actually

Dave Martell
07-24-2013, 11:19 PM
She has been married going on 2 1/2 years and now has a daughter named Jewelya with the picture below taken on the 17th of this month of her first birthday party with Shayla and David her husband. Oh and that is great grand child #7. :lol2:

Awesome news - congrats Grandpop - you old bastid! :D

Dave Martell
07-24-2013, 11:21 PM
I always enjoy reading the stone combos people come up with and I've tried some of the weird ones myself and am usually nicely surprised so keep them coming. :)

NO ChoP!
07-25-2013, 12:13 AM
DMT xxc and course
Shapton 500
1k, 3k and 5k Superstones
Sharpton 8k and 16k
Kitiyama
felt and 1micron diamond

I recently switched to a splash and go set up. The line up seems to suit my sharpening style well. I'm a little slow, soft and deliberate. The Superstones are butter smooth, and I'm not much of a gauger, so I haven't had any problems.

Mrmnms
07-25-2013, 08:52 AM
As much as you do for forum members , and as good as your work is, you have absolutely nothing to embarrassed about. It's reassuring that guys like you and Dave can achieve great results without the next best thing .

stevenStefano
07-25-2013, 12:29 PM
I have a King 800 but never use it and was gonna buy something in the 700-800 range to replace it and go with a 2 stone setup with my Rika, but I might give the King another go

Sam Cro
08-17-2013, 12:54 AM
I just ordered and received both of these , Combination (Two Sided) 1000x/6000x Water Stone & the King Deluxe 1200 , and the guide also I have a few other water stones from when I was stationed in Okinawa . I will soon have to replace .

Sam

labor of love
11-15-2013, 03:30 PM
bump! this is a cool thread, i just felt the need to add my 2cents. im enjoying chosera 400,gesshin 2k,gesshin 4k at the moment. i almost pulled the trigger on chefdogs jns 1k in bst the other day just because of all the great feedback it gets but i was worried it would overlap the work my gesshin 2k is doing. i still havent found a great low grit stone for thinning that i like for thinning...i may get a gesshin 220 or even that pink stone 220. king 800 seems to get alot of love too, i may just have pick one up. im very interested in hearing what everybody is using these days so please people keep this thread going!

Dave Martell
11-15-2013, 03:45 PM
i still havent found a great low grit stone for thinning that i like for thinning...i may get a gesshin 220 or even that pink stone 220. king 800 seems to get alot of love too, i may just have pick one up.

I'm forever in search of the perfect (or even the next new) low grit coarse stone. I've spent so much money over the years on just this.

labor of love
11-16-2013, 12:53 AM
i still havent found a great low grit stone for thinning that i like for thinning!

i wrote this early before i had coffee today, and it shows.haha

ChuckTheButcher
11-16-2013, 02:10 AM
I switch things up a lot but I always use my rikka and kitayama. I don't think I could do with out these stones. While I'm at it I noticed imanishi has another 8k stone besides the kitayama called otokoyama. I is slightly more expensive. Does anyone have any experience with it.

labor of love
11-16-2013, 02:13 AM
i sold both my rika and kitayama awhile back. i did miss rika until i got gesshin 4k. still miss katayama. eventually ill find something to replace it. it would be weird for me to buy the same stone again since there is so many i havent tried yet.

florin
01-09-2014, 05:11 AM
Did anybody have any experience with KATAYAMA 1000 grit. I found it at a great price on ebay. I read a lot of good opinions about 8.000 Katayama, but nothing on 1.000 variant.
Edit. I see know that it could be another stone: one is kAtayama, other one is kItayama.

XooMG
01-09-2014, 05:38 AM
I've been lucky to avoid collecting too many stones. I like my Wakasa natural with tenjo nagura lately...have had better luck with that than with my Naniwa Chemical and Pure White combo.

I don't really have anything under 1k except my Iwood 300/1000 plate.

riba
01-09-2014, 07:55 AM
I really like the edge I get from a (small) coticule, also very pleasurable to sharpen on.
Pretty pleased about my (atoma 140-chosera 400) - chosera 1k - chosera 3k - coticule progression.

ecchef
01-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Tried something a little different on a Konesuke HD. 1200 Bester, natural aoto, and worn, old King 6k. Results...not too bad.

I'd still like to replace the Beston 500 with something easier to maintain though. I hate flattening that damn thing.

Dave Martell
01-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Did anybody have any experience with KATAYAMA 1000 grit. I found it at a great price on ebay. I read a lot of good opinions about 8.000 Katayama, but nothing on 1.000 variant.
Edit. I see know that it could be another stone: one is kAtayama, other one is kItayama.

I never heard of either 1000x

labor of love
01-10-2014, 03:02 AM
I'd still like to replace the Beston 500 with something easier to maintain though. I hate flattening that damn thing.

gesshin 400 maybe? cuts super fast, doesnt clog too quickly, doesnt dish quickly, and offers great feedback. i prefer chosera 400 for regular sharpening but the gesshin 400 would be great for a thinning because it really does cut superfast. the beston 500 is a dry, thirsty stone. is that why you hate flattening it?

ecchef
01-10-2014, 07:25 AM
Nah...not because it's a sponge, although that's true. I flatten on a big Naniwa slab usually, sometime use a drywall screen. Doesn't make a difference...still a pain in the ass. Like it's made out of Kryptonite.
I'm getting close to pushing the button on a gesshin.

Dave Martell
01-10-2014, 12:15 PM
Everyone should have a Gesshin 400x

eighteesix
01-10-2014, 03:56 PM
Beston 500x - best all around coarse stone to start off almost every sharpening session with. A must have for AS steel

Wondering why this stone is special for AS steel? vs Gesshin 400 Grit Stone for AS Steel?

Also, does anyone have any feedback on stone size? I notice some stones are 75mm across and some are only 55mm. a small difference but actually very usable difference in space. Anyone notice smaller size being a serious drawback?

ChuckTheButcher
01-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Most stones for knives are 75mm. The 55mm is usually more for tools like chisels. You can sharpen on smaller stones but you don't get as much of the blade at once. It is nicer to use larger stones. Just makes the job easier.

eighteesix
01-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Most stones for knives are 75mm. The 55mm is usually more for tools like chisels. You can sharpen on smaller stones but you don't get as much of the blade at once. It is nicer to use larger stones. Just makes the job easier.strange. my king combo is only 55mm. im returning it anyway. too bad though, it was a combo stone at only $30. other stones im looking at now are $75+ each.

Dave Martell
01-10-2014, 05:50 PM

Wondering why this stone is special for AS steel? vs Gesshin 400 Grit Stone for AS Steel?

Also, does anyone have any feedback on stone size? I notice some stones are 75mm across and some are only 55mm. a small difference but actually very usable difference in space. Anyone notice smaller size being a serious drawback?

For me I find that nothing besides a diamond plate cuts AS faster than a Beston 500x. Why? I don't know really and don't much care either. For this reason I prefer a Beston 500x for regular double beveled sharpening. For wide bevels I pick the Gesshin 400x regardless of steel as I like it on wide bevels since it's softer than the Beston 500x so it molds itself to the shape of the bevel which gives a smooth appearance, making me look like a rock star. :)

eighteesix
01-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Great to know. My AS Hiro arrives next week. Now i'll have a Beston 500x and King 1200x (along with a King Ice Bear 6000x) to tame that beast. Any specific suggestions straight out of the box?

labor of love
01-11-2014, 02:04 AM
gesshin 400 maybe? cuts super fast, doesnt clog too quickly, doesnt dish quickly, and offers great feedback. i prefer chosera 400 for regular sharpening but the gesshin 400 would be great for a thinning because it really does cut superfast. the beston 500 is a dry, thirsty stone. is that why you hate flattening it?

btw, i like the beston 500 also. both stones are great just in different ways.

Fran Rendina
01-11-2014, 06:19 AM
Eighteesix the Hiro is not the sharpest knife out of the box, but it is a real looker, I love my 210 mm gyuto only wish it was a 240 mm and for me could be a little thinner

eighteesix
01-11-2014, 03:02 PM
how should I approach it out of the box? hit it with the beston 500 and then the 1200 then 6k?

ChuckTheButcher
01-11-2014, 03:53 PM
I would recommend the beston 500 for thinning the hiromoto. Then continue with the regular progression. With a little work they are great knives.

florin
01-30-2014, 09:43 AM
What's the difference between Bester 1200 and Bester 1000 ? In understand most people recommend 1200, so I bought one and I'm waiting to arrive and I'm curious. Thanks.

Dave Martell
01-30-2014, 01:02 PM
What's the difference between Bester 1200 and Bester 1000 ? In understand most people recommend 1200, so I bought one and I'm waiting to arrive and I'm curious. Thanks.

The 1000x feels hollow where the 1200x feels solid. The feedback on the 1200x is a tad better in that it just feels good. The 1200x seems to wear a bit slower & cut a slightly crisper bevel.

All that said, some people who test them side by side prefer the 1000x over the 1200x.