PDA

View Full Version : Any good single-bevel lefties out there?

ayeung74
05-29-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm a 5"9', slender, a left-handed user hoping to find the right match. Can't seem to find anything but for the right-handers--I can't deny it anymore-I'm a Lefty looking for a left-bevel.

YOU: A left-sided, single-bevel Santoku, new or used willing to separate from owner. I'm open to you being a Suji or Petty or even a Honkotsu. If you have or know of where I can find, please let me know.

GlassEye
05-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Become right-handed, thats what I did.

Santoku, sujihiki, petty are double bevel knives, though there are a few exceptions out there. Hankotsu is typically a heavily biased double bevel.
There are some lefties here that could probably help with the left handed knife issues.

ayeung74
05-29-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the FYI, I thought they can come in any configuration based on your preference. I've only used double-bevels and I heard that single-bevels and help minimize food sticking on the blade so I wanted to look for one, but I look out there they only seem to have them for right-ies.

Lefty
05-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Technique and grind help reduce food sticking. I wouldn't sweat the left-handed thing too much. There are tons of great 50/50s out there.

knyfeknerd
05-29-2012, 05:29 PM
An usuba would have close to the same profile as a santoku and is a single bevel. However it is designed for special Japanese vegetable work.A left handed single bevel is going to cost you considerably more $$$. Look on Korin or contact Mari and see if she can help you if you are set on a single bevel lefty.

Eamon Burke
05-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Those aren't single bevel knives. Single bevels would be like Yanagiba, Deba, Kiritsuke and Kamagata Usuba.

It is hard to find factory made left handed knives. They are usually a lot more money. Custom knives are a different story, cause...well...it's custom.

ayeung74
05-29-2012, 05:49 PM
OK, so maybe I won't bother too much about that then. Or perhaps just get a custom knife made :) thank for the tips!

Pensacola Tiger
05-29-2012, 05:58 PM
OK, so maybe I won't bother too much about that then. Or perhaps just get a custom knife made :) thank for the tips!

If you are looking for a good santoku, Jon Broida of JKI has a Yoshihiro on his webstore. The SKD core will take and keep a great edge.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/yoshihiro/yoshihiro-165mm-skd-santoku.html

tk59
05-29-2012, 07:05 PM
If you are looking for a good santoku, Jon Broida of JKI has a Yoshihiro on his webstore. The SKD core will take and keep a great edge.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/yoshihiro/yoshihiro-165mm-skd-santoku.html +1 I like the nakiri made of the same material. For a lefty custom, I'd go with Rottman who is a lefty, himself.

As Eamon mentioned, sounds like you are looking for a heavily biased edge but not necesarily a single bevel. It does help a lot with sticking but they tend to "steer" some so they take some adjustment to use.