PDA

View Full Version : Gray Kunz Spoons

Messy Jesse
06-06-2012, 08:15 AM
A good buddy of mine is in New York and I begged him to pick me up some Gray Kunz spoons.

Who else digs on these? Anything better out there?

stereo.pete
06-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Damascus spoons would be better :doublethumbsup: !

Eamon Burke
06-06-2012, 11:05 AM
I love mine!

Kyle
06-06-2012, 11:07 AM
OK seriously, I gotta ask... what is the big deal with these? It's just a spoon. Right?

JMac
06-06-2012, 11:41 AM
how are the kunz copies on CKTG? they are at good price by the dozen.

Eamon Burke
06-06-2012, 11:55 AM
OK seriously, I gotta ask... what is the big deal with these? It's just a spoon. Right?

They are a very well considered spoon.

They are just the right size, shape and depth of bowl, food just jumps onto it.

The edges are beveled so that it is less likely to spill liquid out the sides, and pours straight off the point.

The handle is curved to fit you hand just right.

Its balanced well.

Its pretty.

tkern
06-06-2012, 01:24 PM
go on jbprince.com and pick up a couple. No need to have someone pick them up from NY. The CKTG copy is very similar. The bowl is larger and deeper. After using the kunz spoon for so long I found myself scraping the pan with the spoon while basting.

Deckhand
06-06-2012, 02:25 PM
I really like mine. I use them all the time. That being said I had to buy a few for minimum shipping. So I bought two large and two small. Never use the smalls. Just buy the large ones.

EdipisReks
06-06-2012, 03:00 PM
They are a very well considered spoon.

They are just the right size, shape and depth of bowl, food just jumps onto it.

The edges are beveled so that it is less likely to spill liquid out the sides, and pours straight off the point.

The handle is curved to fit you hand just right.

Its balanced well.

Its pretty.

x2

Seth
06-06-2012, 04:21 PM
JB Prince. And I agree that large is the way to go and I find having a couple available is great. I don't think there is anything super special about them; they just seem to be the right size and shape.

WiscoNole
08-04-2012, 04:59 AM
I won't use any other spoon.

miketayl0r
08-04-2012, 11:18 AM
I love my kunz spoons. They are perfectly balanced and feel great in your hands when plateing. Highly reccommend

hambone.johnson
08-05-2012, 02:41 AM
for basting in a pan, nothing better

slowtyper
08-05-2012, 03:12 AM
I picked up one of these at JB Prince and it is great. They also have another cheaper spoon which is also just as good IMO. its a bit larger and half the price. The cheaper one also has one with perforations.

SameGuy
08-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Prince is closed Saturdays, so I guess I won't head over there if I go to the Korin ECG in October...

cookinstuff
08-06-2012, 01:55 AM
The large and the large slotted are standard on me every day, those and a nogent peltex slotted spatula are my favourite kitchen tools.

Chefdog
08-10-2012, 03:08 PM
I haven't bought any of the Kunz spoons or clones (although I've used them) but I've collected a dozen or so keepers over the years of difderent size and shapes for different purposes. A couple came from Granny, some found under the dish machine, a couple at a yard sale, etc. I like being able to match the spoon to the task.
But for general use by your line cooks, I think the Kunz style spoons are pretty versatile and user friendly.

Messy Jesse
08-12-2012, 04:04 AM
I'm really into the Richcraft perforated spoons with the cut off tip, called a roux spoon I hear... genius design for getting right to the edge of something.

Deckhand
08-12-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm really into the Richcraft perforated spoons with the cut off tip, called a roux spoon I hear... genius design for getting right to the edge of something.

Did a cursory google search. Do you know where they are sold on the Internet?

Messy Jesse
08-12-2012, 07:33 PM
JB Prince.

http://www.jbprince.com/utensils/slanted-perforated-spoon-8-inch.asp

Deckhand
08-13-2012, 10:52 AM
JB Prince.

http://www.jbprince.com/utensils/slanted-perforated-spoon-8-inch.asp

Thanks.

mr drinky
08-13-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm just a home cook and don't have near the utility that pro cooks have with these spoons, but I have a Del damascus spoon and one of the knock-offs from CK to Go, and I use them all of the time. Those spoons are some of my favorite kitchen tools. Last night I used them both to make giant quenelles and my new favorite use for my Del spoon is scraping the milk off the cob once the kernels are removed. I used to use the back of a knife and it always made quite a mess, but these larger bowl spoons are great for doing that job.

k.

Deckhand
08-13-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm just a home cook and don't have near the utility that pro cooks have with these spoons, but I have a Del damascus spoon and one of the knock-offs from CK to Go, and I use them all of the time. Those spoons are some of my favorite kitchen tools. Last night I used them both to make giant quenelles and my new favorite use for my Del spoon is scraping the milk off the cob once the kernels are removed. I used to use the back of a knife and it always made quite a mess, but these larger bowl spoons are great for doing that job.
k.

Your Del spoon is bad a$$! Ah yes,one day I hope to have one like it...

Johnny.B.Good
08-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Your Del spoon is bad a$$!

Agreed.

I'm still kicking myself for not getting in on that when I had the chance.

slowtyper
08-15-2012, 05:05 AM
I like this as well, its bigger than the kunz sized spoons.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Louisiana-Roux-Spoon-Cajun/dp/B0041G5RCK

Deckhand
08-15-2012, 11:45 AM
This is one of the entertaining ones in my collection.
http://ruhlman.com/2011/02/egg-poaching/

bikehunter
08-15-2012, 02:10 PM
http://forums.egullet.org/topic/99457-the-gray-kunz-sauce-spoon/

Kriegs
09-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Short answer: I use them for just about everything

stphntrjllo
02-25-2013, 10:50 PM
I just buy vintage spoons because so many have the nuns and they're easily lost

longhorn
03-02-2013, 03:17 AM
Just out of curiosity, do these spoons have a nice shape for making quinelles? I know with good technique you can make them with almost any spoon, but having that nice deep(but not too wide) shape makes everything come out so perfect, not to mention more quickly and efficiently.

Finding spoons like this is tough, in Europe they seem more prevalent but my collection of spoons is dwindling now that I work in a bigger kitchen. I've looked at buying them straight from Europe but unless I wanted to buy an enormous quantity it seems like shipping costs would make it ridiculous.

I hope someone identifies with what I am saying so I dont sound like a complete idiot.:spin chair:

JohnnyChance
03-02-2013, 04:08 AM
They are quite wide, so at first you might not think they are great for quenelles, but in fact they do a great job.

samuelpeter
03-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Has anyone used both the Kunz and knock-offs from the one place? How do they compare?

jared08
03-13-2013, 09:08 PM
I have used both the original Kunz spoons and have purchased the 2 pieces set from that place. I honestly cant say there is a noticable difference between the two. I use them everyday at work and they are a pleasure.

Gravy Power
03-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Ordered some Kunz spoons today (two large, two small) and I'm pretty excited. I'm definetely going to be protective of them as in just a few short months, I've seen how valuable personal equipment can go missing. One of my first instructors once said "you can borrow my knife (which given our community isn't always the case), but you keep you hands off of my spoon man!"

Gravy Power
04-01-2013, 02:15 AM
Absolutey love these spoons. Ordered three more today (as i know somehow they will magically disapear. Along with my Roesle peeler, these have been some of the best performing "non knife" gadgets I could ever hope to find in a kitchen. Any more suggestions?

Johnny.B.Good
04-01-2013, 02:35 AM
Absolutey love these spoons.

Which size do you find most useful? I can't decide what to order...two of each?

Gravy Power
04-01-2013, 02:41 AM
Which size do you find most useful? I can't decide what to order...two of each?

I originally got two of each. I can't recall the specific sizes. But I re-ordered three in the larger variety, they where not nearly as big as I thought they'd be and were perfect for saucing a plate. The smaller ones are just like fancy table spoons. I'll still find a use for them, but it's the bigger one's you'll need.

Johnny.B.Good
04-01-2013, 02:44 AM
I originally got two of each. I can't recall the specific sizes. But I re-ordered three in the larger variety, they where not nearly as big as I thought they'd be and were perfect for saucing a plate. The smaller ones are just like fancy table spoons. I'll still find a use for them, but it's the bigger one's you'll need.

Thanks for the tip. I'll get a few of the larger size, and maybe one of the smaller ones just to satisfy my curiosity.

JohnnyChance
04-01-2013, 02:52 AM

Yeah, the small ones are okay, I mainly use them for cereal at home or staff meal. The bigger Kunz have a pointier bowl so even when doing delicate plating I still prefer the bigger spoon. These (http://www.amazon.com/WMF-Manaos-Bistro-Cream-Spoon/dp/B001ECQQZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364798891&sr=8-2&keywords=ice+cream+spoons) are the type of spoon I prefer for tasting. They are longer than the smaller Kunz and have a smaller bowl. And still useful for plating some items.

If you are having trouble deciding, personally I would get 3 large regular spoons and 2 large perforated.

kostantinos
04-01-2013, 03:11 AM
I agree with Johnychance about tasting spoons but please remember taste sanitize and rinse then dry might become a process.

i use plastic spoons at work taste once and gone and sometimes i feel guilty for the landfill even though we recycle a good 60% and compost etc.Still i consider plastic an enemy of environment .

Kunz large size are useful i have about 2 in my kit , bunch of tweezers and other solid spoons but i do have 2 perforated kunz that i use for plate up both small and large as well.

Beohbe
04-04-2013, 12:07 AM
I agree with Johnychance about tasting spoons but please remember taste sanitize and rinse then dry might become a process.

i use plastic spoons at work taste once and gone and sometimes i feel guilty for the landfill even though we recycle a good 60% and compost etc.Still i consider plastic an enemy of environment .

Kunz large size are useful i have about 2 in my kit , bunch of tweezers and other solid spoons but i do have 2 perforated kunz that i use for plate up both small and large as well.

For tasting spoons, I just grab a handful of spoons from the front of the house and keep them close by in a 9 pan.

slowtyper
04-04-2013, 12:55 AM
I've seen in fine dining places its common to keep spoons in a bain marie (well, just a 9pan with water). Some have two 9pans, one for clean spoons and one for dirty spoons. However the spoons are never sent to the dish, every so often both are just rinsed out with hot water.