PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sales Return to JKS :)

Dave Martell
06-08-2012, 07:28 PM
Many of you recall us selling sharpening stones for a few years but that we've backed off on this in recent times. Competition had a lot to do with this as well as the time demand placed on myself that conflicted with the learning how to make knives proficiently. We made a choice to hold off on stone sales while the knifemaking ramped up however we've found that getting back into the sales business still conflicts with the time requirements of knifemaking. This being the case we've looked for alternative ideas on how to sell product while not investing the time and resources that we have in the past. Just recently we've found a solution that we believe will have a great impact on helping us get us back into the sharpening stone sales business.

Starting very soon we'll have a JapaneseKnifeSharpeningStore.com (https://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/) warehouse based on the west coast that will drop ship our products for us. This will remove us here from the time consuming task of stocking, packaging, and shipping and at the same time we'll be able to expand our offerings way beyond what we've been able to bring to the market in the past. This step is huge for us and something that we've been waiting on for a long time. We look forward to working with many of you again in getting you set up with your sharpening needs. Please keep an eye out for more details coming soon. :wink:

Dave

Crothcipt
06-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Cool looking forward to it.

Vertigo
06-08-2012, 08:16 PM
With the exception of your confusing use of the "we" pronoun, this is pretty damn awesome!!

Eamon Burke
06-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Nice, a fulfillment center! Just what you need.

I always liked that you offer the stones you actually use and prefer, it allows for a certain peace of mind, like buying a knife from JKI.

clayton
06-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Perfect timing!

ThEoRy
06-08-2012, 11:49 PM
With the exception of your confusing use of the "we" pronoun, this is pretty damn awesome!!

He is refering to the R of D and R sharpening. :D

This is great news Dave!! We all need new stones.

brainsausage
06-08-2012, 11:51 PM
This makes me very happy indeed:D

Dave Martell
06-08-2012, 11:57 PM
You guys are great, I feel the love. :D

Dave Martell
06-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Nice, a fulfillment center! Just what you need.

"Fulfillment Center" .....I like the sound of that. :thumbsup:

I always liked that you offer the stones you actually use and prefer, it allows for a certain peace of mind, like buying a knife from JKI.

I'm taking a slight departure from the way I've always done things in that regard. My thoughts are that I've been too hung up on selling only what are my favorites to the exclusion of some other very good stones that may be someone else's favorites. I'm now looking at selling stones that I know don't suck and have some value to someone, I'll include my take on them and people can make up their own minds. There will still be plenty of sucky stones that I won't sell though. LOL

markenki
06-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Dave, great news! Best wishes on the new venture! With the exception of the King stones I bought from Carter when I first started on this damned adventure, all my stones, strops, and compounds I've bought from you because I trust your advice. Looking forward to more of it!

I think Dave was using the majestic plural.

Dave Martell
06-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Currently I'm changing around and adding to our store plus introducing some new features (like compare buttons, etc) and once I work out the bugs I'll announce it and go live. Shouldn't be too long.

markenki
06-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Is it done yet?

Dave Martell
06-09-2012, 12:27 AM

I try to include my wife, friends, and business colleagues when I can while speaking about decisions that we made together. Plus don't I sound more legit by using "we" vs "I", this is almost better than buying Facebook friends...LOL :D

Dave Martell
06-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Dave, great news! Best wishes on the new venture! With the exception of the King stones I bought from Carter when I first started on this damned adventure, all my stones, strops, and compounds I've bought from you because I trust your advice. Looking forward to more of it!

That's great, thank you! :)

Is it done yet?

Ugh! :D

ThEoRy
06-09-2012, 12:33 AM
"Fulfillment Center" .....I like the sound of that. :thumbsup:

I'm taking a slight departure from the way I've always done things in that regard. My thoughts are that I've been too hung up on selling only what are my favorites to the exclusion of some other very good stones that may be someone else's favorites. I'm now looking at selling stones that I know don't suck and have some value to someone, I'll include my take on them and people can make up their own minds. There will still be plenty of sucky stones that I won't sell though. LOL

You should have a kind of approval seal or favorite stamp or preferred logo on the pages showing which stones you prefer or even a section for your top favorites or something.

echerub
06-09-2012, 12:41 AM
Woowoo! This is good news for everyone all-around :)

Dave Martell
06-09-2012, 02:55 AM
You should have a kind of approval seal or favorite stamp or preferred logo on the pages showing which stones you prefer or even a section for your top favorites or something.

Great idea! :doublethumbsup:

Dave Martell
06-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Can maybe a few of you, especially those browsing on mobile devices, have a look at my store and poke around a bit to see how it works/looks? Maybe try the compare feature too?

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/

Many descriptions aren't yet filled in, prices are a bit off, and there's still some products not showing but it's the overall look and functionality that I'm curious about.

Thanks!
Dave

Eamon Burke
06-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Browser-------

Is it possible to put a box/border around the product image with the compare button? It's a little cramped and not obvious if the compare button is the one above or below the picture.

Since you are...well...you...you should add a brief description of your take on the stones, like "hard, cuts fast, long soak time required" kind of thing so it shows in the compare box, so when making decisions we can get your take on it, and not just customer reviews.

When you click "add to cart" when comparing, the popup shows up UNDER the compare window, so you can't see it. I added 6 stones to my cart because I thought it was being unresponsive.

Also, when you click "add to cart" on an item that is not in stock, it takes you to that item's page and notifies you it is not in stock. Perhaps you could remove that button? OR just add a line about In stock/Not in stock?

You need a "clear selections" button--it's hard to remember where on the page that little check box that I ticked was. The idea behind a compare tab is that I don't have to keep up with where the item is anymore. Also, if I compare 3 stones, then start comparing knives, it tells me I can't select knives because I already selected 3 stones.

Mobile------
(Android 2.2.1 Samsung Galaxy S 4G)

A logo on the page would help. It looks a bit like a parked domain without a logo header.

I cannot find the "compare" button on my mobile browser

It loads fast, finding product pictures is intuitive.

The product descriptions are clean and easy to read. I could browse on here for a while.

I like how easy it is to get to the real site.

If you could have a mobile cart instead of just redirecting to the site, that'd be a minor plus. But not a huge issue, since every phone runs regular browsers anyways.

Dave Martell
06-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Some of that I can fix and other things are out of my control but thanks for the great info Eamon, I'll use what I can for sure.

Eamon Burke
06-09-2012, 06:00 PM
No problem! I know how that goes. You fix what you can/want, I was just dumping feedback without censoring it.

Dave Martell
11-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Sales have been pretty good since we started back up. I want to thank those of you who have purchased from our store as well as take the opportunity to introduce ourselves to the new members who may not know that we exist. Thanks for your continued support folks. :thumbsup:

JapaneseKnifeSharpeningStore.com (https://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/)

Hattorichop
11-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Dave, I was just browsing with my iPhone and I must say that I found the photo quality to be pretty low. Stefan's handles and your knives deserve to be displayed in all their glory.
But the site is simple and easy to navigate so I feel it's working well in that aspect.

heldentenor
11-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Dave,

Are you planning to carry strops/compounds again?

Dave Martell
11-13-2012, 01:33 AM
Dave,

Are you planning to carry strops/compounds again?

The short answer is yes but the long answer is I don't know what or when, it's complicated. I do have a member who's contacted me with a very interesting idea so hopefully something will come from that.