PDA

View Full Version : Prehistoric goodies!!!

HHH Knives
06-09-2012, 12:22 AM
These both happened to enter my shop this week! Im pretty jazzed up about them.

The smaller one is right out of the permafrost and the most prestine mammoth tooth I have ever had. Its gona make some INSANE knife handles!!!

The second is a mammoth tooth in the jaw bone!! Its amazing!! This one was given to me to take knife pictures etc.

Crothcipt
06-09-2012, 12:34 AM
:eek2::drool::tongue4:

DeepCSweede
06-09-2012, 08:42 AM
:eek2::drool::tongue4:
I think that says it all! Way cool!

apicius9
06-09-2012, 08:45 AM
I am trying not to be envious, but it's hard ;) Just curious, how do you cut the tooth, and will you have it stabilized? Charles Turnage always claims his material is professinally stabilized, but I was never sure what that really means.

Stefan

Deckhand
06-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Definitely amazing. The jaw bone tooth is a definite lifetime keeper. Impressive.

HHH Knives
06-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Definitely amazing. The jaw bone tooth is a definite lifetime keeper. Impressive.

4sure!! I agree its a KEEPER!!!

HHH Knives
06-09-2012, 12:23 PM
I am trying not to be envious, but it's hard ;) Just curious, how do you cut the tooth, and will you have it stabilized? Charles Turnage always claims his material is professinally stabilized, but I was never sure what that really means.

Stefan

Stephan, We have been doing our own stabilization. STABILIZED MAMMOTH TOOTH (http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/6401-Woolly-Mammoth-Molar-Tooth-lt-lt-SUPER-SIZED-gt-gt)

I dont know how or where Charles does his stabilization. I believe he may be the pro doing it :)

Eaglewood
06-09-2012, 09:00 PM
This was quite the find-- I was at a flea market and saw this a few months ago. Originally I was going to get it to cut the tooth up-- but after Randy and I started on this journey of teeth, I decided that this needed to be loaned to him so we could use it for the photos and such . It is such an awesome piece I couldnt bear to cut it up.
It just fit with what we are doing so very well and will for sure make a great background for some of the awesome work that the Randy's put out.

add
06-09-2012, 09:12 PM
This was quite the find-- I was at a flea market and saw this a few months ago. Originally I was going to get it to cut the tooth up-- but after Randy and I started on this journey of teeth, I decided that this needed to be loaned to him so we could use it for the photos and such . It is such an awesome piece I couldnt bear to cut it up.
It just fit with what we are doing so very well and will for sure make a great background for some of the awesome work that the Randy's put out.
What a tremendous piece!

Great choice on not taking it to a saw.

Perhaps even a custom display case for it someday...