PDA

View Full Version : Shigefusa

maxim
06-10-2012, 04:25 AM
As many of you know, I have officially become the retailer for both Shigefusa and Yoshihide (Iizuka-san son) knives.

No doubt, if you have ordered one of these masterpieces in the past, you already know that wait times on a Shigefusa or Yoshihide is quite long and can vary substantially with the particular knife you have requested. This wait time, can often be frustrating and difficult for everyone concerned, including me because I adore their knives as much as anyone J

I must also admit that I am not a big fan of taking custom orders for Shigefusa, as I simply have no time frame for when they will arrive, and I hate taking peoples money upfront and then wasting their time on waiting for a product that may take months to arrive.

But, I encourage you to email me your wishes for Shigefusa and Yoshihide knives and at that time I will let know if I will able to order it for you or not. I always order more than one, so there is a great possibility that a similar knife may already be under progress, and thus finished far sooner than any single custom order!

As an example, I currently have many knives on order from Iizuka-san and his son that are already in progress and should ship soon, very few of which have owners.

So in the future, I have developed a system that I believe will make the process much simpler and far easier for all involved: You, Me, and Shigefusa.

This is the Plan:

I will make a subscriber mailing list that is only for people interested in Shigefusa and Yoshihide knives. You can subscribe this mailing list and as soon as I am made aware that knives are shipping, I will send a group subscriber email out. Then, the first to respond will have the first pick of the knives.

As part of the email, I will also describe what kinds of knives are shipping, as well as a current market price list.

Subscribe to Shigefusa List (http://japanesenaturalstones.us2.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=a7920bc8e0a3a4b4062e53ef1&id=9ffb8a53c7)

BUT, PLEASE NOTE: I will keep all of my current promises and obligations to all those who have already ordered Shigefusa and Yoshihide knives. Those who have ordered previously, but who have not yet received their knives, will be informed first.

Thank you for your understanding and Support,

Maxim

andoniminev
06-17-2012, 01:30 AM
:goodpost:

chinacats
06-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Sounds like a nice plan.

Thanks Maxim!

maxim
06-17-2012, 10:26 AM
First email is send :)

WildBoar
06-17-2012, 10:49 AM
That's a nice knife! Congrats to whoever picks it up.

maxim
06-17-2012, 12:51 PM
This batch is sold :) Thanks !!

pitonboy
06-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Yay! A great system for me

:doublethumbsup:

This batch is sold :) Thanks !!

Sushi Ninja
07-15-2012, 01:00 AM
never heard of Shigefusa, could u enlighten me more about it?

Johnny.B.Good
07-15-2012, 01:08 AM

Old article (2001) from the Los Angeles Times about the maker: http://articles.latimes.com/2001/mar/29/news/cl-43936

Shigefusa knives have an extremely solid reputation on the forums.

EdipisReks
07-15-2012, 01:09 AM

Shigefusa is a brand of chocolate bar from Kazakhstan.

ecchef
07-15-2012, 02:06 AM

With or without nuts? :scratchhead:

bieniek
07-15-2012, 04:10 AM

So now youre funny cause you have better posting stats?

DwarvenChef
07-15-2012, 04:14 AM
With or without nuts? :scratchhead:

Plenty of Knuts around here :p

SpikeC
07-15-2012, 07:02 PM
No no, shigafusa is a device to defuse a shig, which is an electrical device from Japan!

pitonboy
07-15-2012, 07:15 PM
No no, shigafusa is a device to defuse a shig, which is an electrical device from Japan!

Spike, everyone the fusa arms the shig and makes it dangerous. The deshigefusa is the device(and person) that defuses the shigefusa

Eamon Burke
07-15-2012, 10:34 PM
Shigefusa is the trade name for Shigefloxam Fusocyanate, a drug developed to counteract the toxic effect of heavy metal buildup from your fingers being perpetually covered in swarf and mud from JNats. Once it builds up in your muscles, it will actually alter the mitochondrial DNA in the cells that line the walls of your blood vessels, and slowly convert them to a compound comprised of Silica, Carbon, and Iron, until your blood is literally flowing with Hitachi steel and Uchigomori mud.

Traditionally, when old sword makers died, they would just remove these deposits from their hearts and that is where Tamahagane "Blooms" come from. They then made more swords out of them, which closes the energy cycle.

SpikeC
07-15-2012, 11:01 PM
:lolsign:

MadMel
07-16-2012, 04:44 AM
An incentive to spend is always welcome :P

Mr.Magnus
07-16-2012, 06:59 AM
anyone know if Shigefusa got a website?

EdipisReks
07-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Shigefusa is the trade name for Shigefloxam Fusocyanate, a drug developed to counteract the toxic effect of heavy metal buildup from your fingers being perpetually covered in swarf and mud from JNats. Once it builds up in your muscles, it will actually alter the mitochondrial DNA in the cells that line the walls of your blood vessels, and slowly convert them to a compound comprised of Silica, Carbon, and Iron, until your blood is literally flowing with Hitachi steel and Uchigomori mud.

Traditionally, when old sword makers died, they would just remove these deposits from their hearts and that is where Tamahagane "Blooms" come from. They then made more swords out of them, which closes the energy cycle.

ha!

cwrightthruya
07-21-2012, 06:25 PM
:plus1: My wife even thought it was funny!

maxim
08-05-2012, 06:21 AM
I Have still 2 x 180mm Shigefusa Kasumi Deba available from last news mail !!!
Pm for price :)

maxim
08-06-2012, 04:03 AM
Another Saya Job for Shigefusa 180mm Deba

Eamon Burke
08-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Hey, I know that wood! Looks great.

maxim
09-22-2012, 03:50 AM
4 Shigefusa (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Shigefusa-Kitchen-Knives-s/1844.htm)available in the store !!! :)

2x Shigefusa Kasumi Yanagiba 300mm

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9738&d=1346916421

1x 180mm Kasumi Deba

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9030&d=1344269436

1x 120mm Kasumi Deba

gentlecook
09-22-2012, 06:28 AM
a little different kanji on Shiges !!

another maker ?
:detective:

markenki
09-23-2012, 11:29 AM
a little different kanji on Shiges !!

another maker ?
:detective:
Looks the same to me.

gentlecook
09-23-2012, 05:09 PM
this kanji from one old knife
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_aBdgh41iXG8/TT6MxXH2DRI/AAAAAAAAABw/xxyeJA5pk88/s320/514b8d4f80255105c462ed6a6eacfe2f.jpg

write the first character is different from these new knifes , my opinion.

it's not a big deal, just maybe engraving makes the other person =)

Cutty Sharp
09-23-2012, 06:42 PM
All kanji are the same: 登録重房 'Registered Shigefusa'. Some Shigefusa have another 5th character (on certain lines/types) but not these. The hand-done big characers 重房 might vary, but the small ones I think are stamped.

bieniek
09-24-2012, 03:16 PM
I also think it might be the "Kitaeji" line on the last photo which suppose to have hand banged on kanji, where there might be slight differences in appereance.

SpikeC
09-24-2012, 03:23 PM
The kanji on the second knife is obviously very different! Anyone can see that it is upsidedown!

Cutty Sharp
09-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Huh, which photo is it? I checked again but don't see it. If you mean the one seen through the link (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_aBdgh41iXG8/TT6MxXH2DRI/AAAAAAAAABw/xxyeJA5pk88/s320/514b8d4f80255105c462ed6a6eacfe2f.jpg) the final character has a bit of a different style to it but it'd just be down to different people having slightly individual engraving styles (there are 3 craftsmen at Shigefusa, right?). Plus the Maxim's blades above look like they've been stamped (kasumi line?) while the one seen through the link (kitaeji, as Bieniek said?) looks to be engraved - the two large characters at least, not the small. I kind of prefer the style of the former over the latter, even if not engraved.

maxim
09-25-2012, 05:45 AM
Yep Kasumi line Shigefusa is stamped and Kitaejis is hand engraved.

maxim
10-09-2012, 12:08 PM
3 x 240mm Yosihide Gyutos all is SOLD

But i think you guys want to see :D

Crothcipt
10-09-2012, 01:55 PM
nice

Cutty Sharp
10-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Who are the speedy 3 who bought these so fast?

Crothcipt
10-09-2012, 10:34 PM
I'm sure they were ordered

Cutty Sharp
10-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Nope. Maxim said they went in 10 mins. ... 10 mins!?

maxim
10-10-2012, 08:22 AM
Yep they was gone pretty fast.

I have one more for sale in my webstore :)

Masterpiece of a knife

Shigefusa Western Kitaeji 210 mm Gyuto (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Shigefusa-Western-Kitaeji-210-mm-Gyuto-p/470.htm)

Von blewitt
10-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Ooh...this is on top of my wish list... One day!

maxim
10-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Just some shots before that baby go to its new owner, sorry for bad pics

Any lefty Dream :D

Crothcipt
10-16-2012, 04:20 PM
I wish my bad pics looked that good. beautiful.

maxim
10-19-2012, 04:31 AM
One 270mm Shigefusa Yanagi (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Shigefusa-Kasumi-Yanagiba-270mm-p/710.htm) in the store :D

apicius9
10-19-2012, 05:02 AM
Just admired that one on facebook, very nice!

Stefan

Canadian
10-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Shigefusa makes such beautiful knives. I regret selling my 250mm gyuto.

Justin0505
10-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Yep they was gone pretty fast.

I have one more for sale in my webstore :)

Masterpiece of a knife

Shigefusa Western Kitaeji 210 mm Gyuto (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Shigefusa-Western-Kitaeji-210-mm-Gyuto-p/470.htm)

OOO!!!!! that knife is certainly a unicorn for me: something I've been chasing for a long time. Did I do the currency conversion correctly that the price is $1,310 in USD?

markenki
10-19-2012, 06:47 PM
Did I do the currency conversion correctly that the price is $1,310 in USD?
In the upper left-hand corner of the page, you can choose to display prices in USD (or Euro). It says "$1,252.50" if you do so, but you'll probably pay a bit more with Paypal.

bieniek
10-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Hehe that is correct and freaking insane.

Not even this is worth so much. Thats at least what I think.

Justin0505
10-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Ah, thanks for the tip on the currency conversion feature, markenki!

Yeah, bieniek, Shige pricing has really gone though the roof in the past few years. Supply and demand and a bit of hype all play into this. I would say that a few years ago Shiges where under priced: you where getting single-custom maker quality at high-end factory pricing. This meant that when one came available, it was a no-brained to buy it. Now however, prices have put shiges into a whole different ballpark in terms of their competition. For +/- a few bucks you could have a full custom from any number of world-class, top-quality American or Japanese makers like Michael Rader, Devin Thomas, Bill Burke.

I purchased a 270mm Kasumi wa-guyto a couple years ago, and this 210 western is almost 2X the price I paid. I understand that westen integral bolsters will always add a big price-jump but this is a bit too rich for my blood.

Andrew H
10-19-2012, 08:46 PM

Yeah, bieniek, Shige pricing has really gone though the roof in the past few years. Supply and demand and a bit of hype all play into this. I would say that a few years ago Shiges where under priced: you where getting single-custom maker quality at high-end factory pricing. This meant that when one came available, it was a no-brained to buy it. Now however, prices have put shiges into a whole different ballpark in terms of their competition. For +/- a few bucks you could have a full custom from any number of world-class, top-quality American or Japanese makers like Michael Rader, Devin Thomas, Bill Burke.

I purchased a 270mm Kasumi wa-guyto a couple years ago, and this 210 western is almost 2X the price I paid. I understand that westen integral bolsters will always add a big price-jump but this is a bit too rich for my blood.

Justin, you make some good points, but is it fair to compare the price of a wa kasumi two years ago to a kitaeji integral western today?

markenki
10-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Justin, you make some good points, but is it fair to compare the price of a wa kasumi two years ago to a kitaeji integral western today?
Shigefusas are special knives. You also have to consider that Maxim puts a custom handle on the knife. If I had the money, I'd buy it. But I don't, so it sucks to be me! :crying:

bieniek
10-20-2012, 04:18 AM

I wouldnt even try to compare americans to japanese but one thing is for sure:
Youre not getting any extra usability for that price. Thats the whole point for a tool isnt it? I accept paying the price of regular chefs knife because I think its fair for good quality tool, and that applies particularly to single beveled knives, but thats about my price limit.
This one is beautifull and all that, but at the end of the day cuts like any other knife from that producer.

maxim
10-20-2012, 10:14 AM
Shigefusa kitaeji cost a lot more because of it is harder cladding and much more harder to work with also he spend much more time on making the knife and on Western model there is much more kitaeji material then on Regular wa handled knives.
For the price and time spend on the knife i dont think its expensive.

And really Shigefusa have always had very big demand.
Price increase is based on material cost increase and how much time they spend, so i think its fair :D

Dose it preform better then other knives, well no or not much more :D, but is it more detail and time spend on that knife from the maker, sure ! And i respect that and people who want to pay for it

Also A note that Shigefusa do not make Honyakis or other steel knives, So it is absolute best of the best knife he can make !!

Von blewitt
10-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Does it perform substantially better? ... No, if I had the money would I buy it? ... Yes!

maxim
10-20-2012, 01:21 PM
I also think its quite funny why should Japanese maker with many years of experience and generations of knife making be cheaper then any US or other makers :dazed:
To me he should be more expensive then any new started knife smiths of coarse depends on quality and material used, but i think Shigefusa is one of perfectionist in knife making.

No offense to other makers, just my opinion

Now however, prices have put shiges into a whole different ballpark in terms of their competition. For +/- a few bucks you could have a full custom from any number of world-class, top-quality American or Japanese makers like Michael Rader, Devin Thomas, Bill Burke.

heirkb
10-20-2012, 02:05 PM
I also think its quite funny why should Japanese maker with many years of experience and generations of knife making be cheaper then any US or other makers :dazed:
To me he should be more expensive then any new started knife smiths of coarse depends on quality and material used, but i think Shigefusa is one of perfectionist in knife making.

I always thought this, too. Not like it's cheaper living in Japan, right?

Cutty Sharp
10-20-2012, 02:14 PM

I haven't seen this discussed before, although I wondered and it's interesting to ask. Is it even possible to say who offers better value - the Canadian/US makers we see on KKF, or the Japanese?

heldentenor
10-20-2012, 02:26 PM
All depends on the context. You get very different things from US vs. Japanese makers at different price points. For example, a Rodrigue, Martell, or Tsourkan gyuto in the $500 range offers a lot more personalization (leaving aside the questions of steel and grind) than an off-the-rack Heiji or Shigefusa. But is a $1000 Rader or DT a better knife than a Masamoto Honyaki?

Justin0505
10-20-2012, 02:30 PM
I misspoke before: my 270 was kitaeji (folded steel cladding), not kasumi.
First, let me back up and say that I am a HUGE fan of Shigefusa. It was one of the most magical, impressive knives that I've ever use. The quality and detail that when into every part of it was just mind-blowing. Plus, for me there was an "x" factor something undefinable that just made it "special." The only reason that I don't have it anymore is that I had a chance to trade it for a 1-of-a-kind Muray Carter cleaver, that, if he where to make today (which he will not) would probably cost north of $2,000. If this does't show that value of Shigefusa as compared to any other "top" maker in the world, I don't know what does.

So, the point that I was trying to make was NOT that the current pricing on Shige's is too high, but that they are no longer the mind-blowing bargain that they where even a few years ago.

To make a car analogy, a Shigefusa is a hand-made hyper-car like a Pagani Zonda. A few years ago, it was priced like a Chevy Corvette, so when one became available, it was foolish NOT to buy it.
However, as price has increased, their competition in price is now knives that are actually in the same league as them (or much closer than before).

So, IMO, $1300 for Maxim's 210mm Kitaeji Western gyuto is a fair price for a knife that MAY have equals but perhaps none "better" and is very, very rare. However, it's more than I can spend right now and I, personally have knifes from other makers that I'd like to try/spend my money on first. However, I'm sure that I will regret this decision as this is the first western kitaeji I've seen for sale in probably 5 years and when I see the next one I'm sure it will cost even more.

As to the earlier posts about North American vs Japaneses, I would say that when you get into the league of Shigefuesa, single-maker honyaki or comparably priced US customs, they will all be fantastic knifes and so close in performance, f&f, materials, etc, that what it comes down to is personal taste / option and which is more "special" to the individual. If you are spending >$1000 on a kitchen knife, it's because of qualities and emotions that can't be recorded on paper or in "specs". The knife that makes you most happy is the the best.

maxim
10-21-2012, 04:49 AM
Please i do not talk about value or who is best here. Its just weird why more experienced blacksmith should cost less then new started.
Thats all :D And as you know living in Japan is more expensive then in US. And also as we know almost all handmade knives from US and other is inspired by Japanese makers, thiner grind, harder steel, wa stile etc.

I haven't seen this discussed before, although I wondered and it's interesting to ask. Is it even possible to say who offers better value - the Canadian/US makers we see on KKF, or the Japanese?

bieniek
10-21-2012, 09:11 AM
I totally agree with the fact that people that have 0 heritage and 0 experience [compared with japanese] with the subject as a whole, want to charge more money just cause of the better materials used. The thing is with western world, we want to change everything to suit our ways.
"The knife is too hard?It must mean the maker did something wrong, not the user. Lets change the ways of the maker then." Very arrogant.

Plus is there any single one maker from anywhere outside Japan on here that is making knives in second generation, and thats his only occupation? In other words, is there anyone who did it all his life with love cause his father did it all his life with love?
Just asking:yammer:

bieniek
10-21-2012, 10:19 AM
But in the same time I feel like the craftsmen that charge for a blade more than 1000 USD do it because they can.

I dont really think it involves sooooooooo much more work for Iizuka to build a "damascus" cladding in terms of workhours to explain such high price.
Is it the materials? I dont think so.

maxim
10-21-2012, 10:33 AM
that is just not true ! He spend much more time on damascus cladding then on Kasumi and integral bolster is made out of one peace so shaping and polishing is much more time consuming then wa handled. Believe me when i get 10 Shigefusa knives 1 of them will be damascus clad and out of 50 damascus there will be only 1 with integral bolster and its because it is so difficult to make and much more damascus go to use ! Witch he also fold him self with 2 kind of iron used one hard and one soft
If he do it because he can, he will have made many more integral bolster knives

But in the same time I feel like the craftsmen that charge for a blade more than 1000 USD do it because they can.

I dont really think it involves sooooooooo much more work for Iizuka to build a "damascus" cladding in terms of workhours to explain such high price.
Is it the materials? I dont think so.

chinacats
10-21-2012, 11:22 AM
I personally do not have the knowledge base to discuss the qualities of each individual knife, but do think that this is like any other business and the issue becomes supply vs demand. I am not taking away from the skillset, but like anything else it really seems to be about perceived value.
Cheers!

maxim
10-31-2012, 02:14 PM
It is so difficult to capture clouds in the picture ! And i am really suck at taking pictures

Here is 2 latest Westerns Kasumi integral by Yosihide Sujis 270mm All is pending for now
I get some petty on website later when i am done with Handles.
Who need Kitaeji :razz:
P.S. That is the wildest clouds i have seen on Western knives from them
pettys and Sujiki have them on cladding only

if you guys have some tips how to take better pictures of clouds please let me know !! :O lightning, settings etc.

markenki
10-31-2012, 02:38 PM
Wow, that looks great!

schanop
10-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Oh super cool.

For cloud picture taking, I have found that I had better success outdoor, in a shade, not in direct sun light and use the cloud surface as as reflecting surface. I think the idea was to highlight the lines with the reflectance from bright sky, but keeps the rest in the shade to increase the contrast.

And the old handy tip, use tripod, small aperture, and low iso setting.

Sky Camera
\ /
\ /
\ /
\/
Shig Cloud Surface

The could in this KU petty was taken in the manner.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3bQngcHkPsA/UC2MzlLVkpI/AAAAAAAAAmw/9y20S374v8w/s1200/ku_petty2.jpg

Hope you get the idea.

maxim
11-01-2012, 05:10 AM
I did try outdoor, but i think in the dark with black background and light i have better results.
Need to find out how they take photos of Katana :nunchucks:

Lucretia
11-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Is the finish in schanop's photo typical of what one should expect from a Shig KU? I recently purchased a KU santoku from Rakuten, and the finish was much less refined and polished than that in schanop's photo. If there are any clouds there, they are hidden by the scratches.

Maybe I just need to get some finger stones and polish it up a bit?

JBroida
11-02-2012, 12:41 PM
i'm pretty sure that photo was after his sharpening

maxim
11-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Yep :D
But not all Shigefusa have clouds

Maybe I just need to get some finger stones and polish it up a bit?

Lucretia
11-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Good to know! Thanks! :biggrin:

mainaman
11-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Is the finish in schanop's photo typical of what one should expect from a Shig KU? I recently purchased a KU santoku from Rakuten, and the finish was much less refined and polished than that in schanop's photo. If there are any clouds there, they are hidden by the scratches.

Maybe I just need to get some finger stones and polish it up a bit?In order to find out if your knife has clouds you need to polish on natural stones, it will never show with synthetics.

maxim
11-10-2012, 04:09 AM
2x Masayuki KU Santokus 165mm
(http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Masayuki-KU-Santokus-165mm-p/496.htm)Elder sons Knives made in Shigefusa workshop see the light on the internet :D
This are made about 15 years ago and is Old new stock knives

Only 2 available !

mainaman
11-11-2012, 08:59 AM
2x Masayuki KU Santokus 165mm
(http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Masayuki-KU-Santokus-165mm-p/496.htm)Elder sons Knives made in Shigefusa workshop see the light on the internet :D
This are made about 15 years ago and is Old new stock knives

Only 2 available !

11369those look like the limited run shiges you had a while back. are they similar in grind etc?

maxim
11-11-2012, 09:31 AM
No i believe Shigefusa was single beveled this one is double :)

mainaman
11-11-2012, 09:37 AM
No i believe Shigefusa was single beveled this one is double :)
the ones with walnut handle were KU and double bevel.

maxim
11-15-2012, 11:41 AM
2 x Shigefusa 210 mm Kasumi Gyutos (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Shigefusa-Kasumi-210-mm-Wa-Gyuto-p/546.htm)in the store with clouds :D
Just not showing in pics :(

gentlecook
11-15-2012, 04:58 PM
great Kanji , not kitaeji and handmade , not stamp Kanji =)

schanop
11-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Got a little bit of cloud (usually it is sunny here in Sydney, like today) in the bolster. This is OOTB, so with more polishing, cloud might show up a bit more.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-pcHEVZEKA08/UKbRKbnj45I/AAAAAAAAAuA/eLj5AJUqF4Q/s1200/shigefusa_gyuto_0.jpg

EdipisReks
11-16-2012, 08:15 PM
i kinda want to see if i can get clouds with my Shig, now, but wet/dry is so quick for refinishing, that i don't know if i have the patience to work with my various finger stones.

maxim
11-17-2012, 08:32 AM
The 210 mm Gyutos i got was very very hard to see the clouds so i thought there was non at start. Then at night i wanted to sharpen some of them and they showed up :D
So you can better see them at night with artificial lightning !

I will try to experiment how to bring them best out

chinacats
11-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Curious if the sons will be making wa gyuto's with their kanji anytime soon?

maxim
11-21-2012, 03:46 AM

Von blewitt
11-21-2012, 04:00 AM

Wow, I'm an idiot! Should have snapped one of these up

maxim
11-21-2012, 04:01 AM
There will be maybe some available :D

Von blewitt
11-21-2012, 04:06 AM
Well, I do have a 100DKK voucher I need to spend :D

maxim
12-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Couple of Shigefusa Kitaeji Nakiri 180mm (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Shigefusa-Kitaeji-Nakiri-180mm-p/860.htm) in Stock

Talking about extreme taper :eek2:
Like mini integral Bolster

maxim
12-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Only 1 Super Rare Single Beveled Shigefusa in Stock, Old new Stock !

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Shigefusa-Single-Beveled-KU-Santokus-165mm-p/637.htm

maxim
12-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Shigefusa announcement !!!
I think very soon i can start to make some new orderes for Shigefusa knives :D

So please if any of you have some wishes for Shigefusa knives next year post them here. I will try to order them here in December !!! They will be finished by next year :D

Knife Type, Size, KU, Kitaeji, Kasumi etc.

Just type in what you will be interested to buy next year !!

CanadianMan
12-05-2012, 10:54 AM
I have bein wanting a 270mm kitaeji wa-gyuto for awhile now, sign me up for one!

maxim
12-05-2012, 11:03 AM
You got it, i have them already on order :D

Micioarch
12-05-2012, 04:45 PM
I would be interested in a kasumi petty 180mm (I don't know which will be the price and I also have other shopping in mind :biggrin: ).

scott6452
12-05-2012, 06:59 PM
+1 on an 180mm petty.

Von blewitt
12-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Sorry

Twistington
12-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Western gyuto, 240mm, kasumi... might come in handy. :whistling:

chinacats
12-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Wa-gyuto kasumi 270 would be nice.

:biggrin:

Iceman91
12-05-2012, 09:55 PM
270 kasumi suji

miketayl0r
12-05-2012, 10:07 PM
kasumi 240mm wa-gyuto!!

Von blewitt
12-05-2012, 10:08 PM
This thread should be renamed " shigefusa wish list "

echerub
12-05-2012, 11:14 PM
105mm or 120mm kurouchi/kasumi ajikiri would round out my deba lineup nicely :)

barramonday
12-06-2012, 01:36 AM
270mm sugi kasumi
240mm western gyuto kasumi

maxim
12-06-2012, 11:25 AM
240mm Western and 180mm Petty is ordered :D

maxim
12-09-2012, 06:31 AM
Shigefusa 250mm Suji (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Shigefusa-Kasumi-250-mm-Wa-Sujihiki-p/866.htm) is up on website :D

gentlecook
12-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Shigefusa 250mm Suji[/URL] is up on website :D

can I wait for another +1 "up on website" with Shige muki ?? =)

suji without any distortion? :detective:

WiscoNole
12-11-2012, 03:56 AM
kasumi 240mm wa-gyuto!!

+1

maxim
12-14-2012, 01:07 PM
2 new Shigefusa in the store !!

180mm Kitaeji
(http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Shigefusa-Kitaeji-180-mm-Wa-Gyuto-p/871.htm)

240mm Kitaeji
(http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Shigefusa-Kitaeji-240-mm-Wa-Gyuto-p/870.htm)

schanop
01-09-2013, 08:05 PM
Only 1 Super Rare Single Beveled Shigefusa in Stock, Old new Stock !

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Shigefusa-Single-Beveled-KU-Santokus-165mm-p/637.htm

Oh yeah baby. Lots of wild cloud on this one.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-AD_AUey5oNw/UO4CgDqEv2I/AAAAAAAAAwo/mwjyR1bD47s/s1200/shig_ku_santoku_3.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Fj7yBzkgpDE/UO4CfxNdwQI/AAAAAAAAAwk/c-bTlwqYGb0/s1200/shig_ku_santoku_2.jpg

EdipisReks
01-09-2013, 08:17 PM
Oh yeah baby. Lots of wild cloud on this one.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-AD_AUey5oNw/UO4CgDqEv2I/AAAAAAAAAwo/mwjyR1bD47s/s1200/shig_ku_santoku_3.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Fj7yBzkgpDE/UO4CfxNdwQI/AAAAAAAAAwk/c-bTlwqYGb0/s1200/shig_ku_santoku_2.jpg

how long is it taking you to get that, and what stones are you using?

schanop
01-09-2013, 08:30 PM
I thought Max did sharpen and pre-polish on this one a while ago and the knife has already show some cloud and has fairly few coarse grind marks. So it didn't take me too long to bring the cloud out even more. All up probably was within 20-25 minutes.

Pretty much what I did was erasing more of coarse grind marks, and give it a fine polish. Stones used were coarse red Atagoyama, Takashima, Hakka, and Ohira uchigomori finger stone.

bieniek
01-10-2013, 03:58 AM
Looks totally awesome. Like a damascus cladding with very fine, delicate layers.

Should photo my yanagi...

maxim
01-10-2013, 04:20 AM
Looks cool :) I did not sharpen or polish it before i send it to you :D

I got some Shigefusa Ku 150mm Petty's in stock !!
Only 2 left :)

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Shigefusa-Kurouchi-150mm-Wa-Petty-p/591.htm

rriley
01-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Currency fluctuation has also contributed to the increase in prices. In fall 2008 the Yen/USD was trading at 110/USD, recently the exchange rate has been in the mid 80's.

EdipisReks
01-10-2013, 10:51 AM
I thought Max did sharpen and pre-polish on this one a while ago and the knife has already show some cloud and has fairly few coarse grind marks. So it didn't take me too long to bring the cloud out even more. All up probably was within 20-25 minutes.

Pretty much what I did was erasing more of coarse grind marks, and give it a fine polish. Stones used were coarse red Atagoyama, Takashima, Hakka, and Ohira uchigomori finger stone.

i think i really need to get a hakka. almost all of the really nice results i've seen have had a hakka in the progression.

maxim
01-10-2013, 12:05 PM
schanop: you also mastered your hard Ohira Kan very well :doublethumbsup:

JohnnyChance
01-11-2013, 04:15 AM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yG6xrIxVhj0/UO_JbdIH1BI/AAAAAAAAB1I/phsjAWwBgBw/s720/2013-01-11%252000.14.44.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3qFTVeNfygI/UO_Jy9ngkzI/AAAAAAAAB1Y/-VvE2riXO2E/s720/2013-01-11%252000.13.39.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Xrtq8osLH1k/UO_JybGTSzI/AAAAAAAAB1k/KCs8oF4t5hc/s1280/2013-01-11%252000.15.16.jpg

bieniek
01-11-2013, 10:59 AM
awesome awesome awesome

Johnny.B.Good
01-11-2013, 04:28 PM
That patina is incredible, JC!

maxim
01-13-2013, 11:31 AM
One Kitaeji 150mm Wa Petty in Stock :D

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Shigefusa-Kitaeji-180-mm-Wa-Petty-p/899.htm

maxim
01-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Heads up on Shigefusa email! very nice this time :D

maxim
01-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Most beautiful knife i ever seen !!! :shocked3:

Only 1 in stock and its not cheap :D

300mm Hamokiri
(http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Shigefusa-Kitaeji-Hamokiri-300mm-p/963.htm)

Shigefusa 180mm Kasumi Deba (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Shigefusa-Kasumi-Deba-180mm-p/409.htm) is also now in stock Only 2 left

markenki
01-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Thank goodness it's right handed.

echerub
01-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Thank goodness I can't get hamo around here :)

eaglerock
01-28-2013, 02:17 PM
:fanning:

rriley
01-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Beautiful, but are there uses for it other than chopping eel?

maxim
02-02-2013, 05:18 AM
If you like big single beveled knives then this can be all around knife
Becoase Shigefusa makes single beveled so thin this one can slice dice and be all around
Heal high is 60mm So it is like Huge Usuba :D

Video of this beauty is up :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y0u81ZtqHjE

Birnando
02-02-2013, 05:25 AM
Very nice.
A lefty version of that would suit me just fine..

Von blewitt
02-02-2013, 06:01 AM
Wow, that is amazing! Now I see what you meant by the most beautiful knife you've ever seen! Pictures don't do it justice

maxim
02-02-2013, 06:04 AM
Hehe i know :D
But you still have some knives from me on order, i hope they will be finished soon ;)

Von blewitt
02-02-2013, 07:34 AM
If you like big single beveled knives then this can be all around knife
Becoase Shigefusa makes single beveled so thin this one can slice dice and be all around
Heal high is 60mm So it is like Huge Usuba :D

Video of this beauty is up :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y0u81ZtqHjE

Hey Chanop, maybe you can put the voucher you won towards buying this knife... Then maybe one day I can come and visit it :)!haha

Birnando
02-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Hehe i know :D
But you still have some knives from me on order, i hope they will be finished soon ;)

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing that Shig cleaver...

maxim
03-04-2013, 02:02 PM
New Shigefusas in the Store (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Shigefusa-Kitchen-Knives-s/1844.htm) :spiteful:

Also for Lefties !!

Vangelis
05-01-2013, 06:02 AM
Hej Maxim,

I was wondering how often do you update your Shig. "limited" stocks (I would love to get my hands on a Gyuto)... I didn't buy one after your return from japan as I have other priorities at the moment...

mvh

Vangelis

PS1. I know you are having a mailing list (I am into it)
PS2. are you planning for another Dk gathering?

maxim
06-30-2013, 08:34 AM
First time Sneak peek about Next Shigefusa subscription Email :razz:

Emails will be send tomorrow :D

Twistington
06-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Next subscription letter needs more 240mm kasumi western gyutos... :2cents: ;D

schanop
06-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Good to see the cool little single bevel fish knife making its way back
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AwFebhJdSGE/UC2MzktG2vI/AAAAAAAAAm0/FhNo3VuPHVs/s640/ku_petty1.jpg

maxim
06-30-2013, 09:57 AM
I have waited for them long time, they are the coolest pettys i had except Yoshihide western :D

Bram
06-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Good to see the cool little single bevel fish knife making its way back ...

Reading around here a bit, I have never seen this kind of knife mentioned - the fish knife, I think usually called sakana-bocho. I'm guessing it's just a general purpose knife for smaller fish and for fileting. Doesn't look as thick (prices reflect this) compared to a miorishi, let alone a deba. Much like the nakiri is sort of the easy home-use version of a usuba, I'm wondering if this is the low-cost home option for people who don't want to get a deba, yanagiri, etc. Has anyone used one?

Hello Maxim - are saying that to you, these knives can basically be used as petties?

markenki
06-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Wrong hand. :(

maxim
08-02-2013, 02:02 AM
2 x Shigefusa Kitaeji Pettys 150mm (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/shigefusa-kitaeji-150-mm-wa-petty/) is added to the store !!

maxim
08-22-2013, 04:38 AM
Now part of regular setup :D :happymug:

vinster
08-22-2013, 11:34 AM
That's the JNS 6000, right? Do they a natural only as the finisher?

CrisAnderson27
08-22-2013, 11:38 AM
I did try outdoor, but i think in the dark with black background and light i have better results.
Need to find out how they take photos of Katana :nunchucks:

They use a light box. I used to have one I built, but it got broken in a move and I haven't made one since. Basically you use 8 side outlet 90 bends (http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=315499-1815-413010RMC&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3344668&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1), and connect them with PVC pipe in whatever dimensions you want your box to be (24" square box = 24" pipe). You then use the box as a frame for your backdrop and diffusers (I used a black microfiber 'throw' blanket for a background and white sheets for light diffusers). At that point add your lights, and take your pictures from a hole you cut in the front of the box (this keeps the steel from reflecting YOU lol). The black and white really seemed to bring out hamon activity (others have used it to bring out layered activity in tamahagane...much like your 'clouds') in steel.

Here's a quick wiki tutorial I found, only they're using a cardboard box. I like the PVC better because its modular...you can have three different sized light boxes by just cutting different length pipes.

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Inexpensive-Photography-Lightbox

Hope that helps!

maxim
08-23-2013, 07:05 AM

They use a light box. I used to have one I built, but it got broken in a move and I haven't made one since. Basically you use 8 side outlet 90 bends (http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=315499-1815-413010RMC&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3344668&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1), and connect them with PVC pipe in whatever dimensions you want your box to be (24" square box = 24" pipe). You then use the box as a frame for your backdrop and diffusers (I used a black microfiber 'throw' blanket for a background and white sheets for light diffusers). At that point add your lights, and take your pictures from a hole you cut in the front of the box (this keeps the steel from reflecting YOU lol). The black and white really seemed to bring out hamon activity (others have used it to bring out layered activity in tamahagane...much like your 'clouds') in steel.

Here's a quick wiki tutorial I found, only they're using a cardboard box. I like the PVC better because its modular...you can have three different sized light boxes by just cutting different length pipes.

http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-Inexpensive-Photography-Lightbox

Hope that helps!

That's the JNS 6000, right? Do they a natural only as the finisher?

Yeah :D and then Natural
That Ohira you see in the picture with huge digged out line

maxim
08-26-2013, 04:17 AM
You know when you have to big stock or just mess :P when you find 2 Shig gyutos
that you did not know you had :D

2x 210 mm Kasumi Gyutos is in stock (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/shigefusa-kasumi-210-mm-wa-gyuto/)

Brad Gibson
08-26-2013, 05:23 AM
I could use one as a freebie maxim

pete84
08-26-2013, 05:50 AM
Any chance of more Usuba coming back in stock? I really wanted a 210 kama but they just sold out...

Thank you Maxim

pkjames
08-26-2013, 06:09 AM
I'd work for Maxim as a shop cleaner.

chinacats
08-26-2013, 05:04 PM
just what I was looking for... thanks Maxim

daddy yo yo
08-27-2013, 09:03 AM
You know when you have to big stock or just mess :P when you find 2 Shig gyutos
that you did not know you had :D

2x 210 mm Kasumi Gyutos is in stock (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/shigefusa-kasumi-210-mm-wa-gyuto/)if those were 240s, I think I would have a weak moment... :sad0:

maxim
08-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Just added 3 x Ku Santokus (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/shigefusa-kurouchi-165mm-wa-santoku/)

Sdkkds
09-30-2013, 05:16 PM
Just got my Shigefusa Kasumi 210mm Wa Gyuto from Maxim and i could not be happier with the knife :biggrin: and Maxim's service :thumbsup:

chinacats
09-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Just got my Shigefusa Kasumi 210mm Wa Gyuto from Maxim and i could not be happier with the knife :biggrin: and Maxim's service :thumbsup:

A very big :plus1:. This made me realize that I had never posted to once again say the same thing you just did (and actually for the same knife). Maxim once again comes through as a true professional and goes the extra step to satisfy. :happymug:

maxim
10-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Soon In the Store :D Shigefusa Kasumi Pettys with Clouds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V7ZQ_B3lyQ&feature=youtu.be

linch
10-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Dear Maxim,

I'm a journalist for gourmet and cuisine, and I'd like to order a Shigefusa Kitaeji Wa Petty 150mm. Can I buy one of the knives from you? I'm looking for this one for a long long time. Please advise me how I can complete this order. Your kind response will be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Lin

maxim
10-28-2013, 04:37 AM
Hi
It is better if you send me a email or pm :)
And right now I only have Kasumi petty in stock, no kitaeji.
You can subscribe to my Shigefusa email list and when I get some in you will get email :)

maxim
11-05-2013, 06:21 AM
Single beveled KU pettys (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/shigefusa-kurouchi-150mm-single-beveled-wa-petty/) Back in stock :D

maxim
02-10-2014, 08:07 AM
3 x Shigefusa gyutos (http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/shigefusa/?sort=newest) is online :D
180mm, 240mm and 270mm

Chef Andy
02-10-2014, 08:13 AM
damn I wish I had the funds for that 270mm.....

crunchy
02-11-2014, 12:59 PM
is it me or has the shigefusa craze finally come to an end?
if so, what is the reason in your opinion?

A 240mm kasumi gyuto has been up on maxims site for a couple days now and nobody has purchased it yet!?!?!?!

JohnnyChance
02-11-2014, 01:13 PM
I think Maxim has had a much steadier supply of Shiges the last year or so than any vendor previously. I think the demand is still the same, it's just the supply is much better.

maxim
02-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Yep

I sold quite many 240 Kasumis this and last year.
Now everyone want Kitaejis :P

Sdkkds
02-11-2014, 02:30 PM
Had i not just ordered a masamoto ks 240 gyuto i would have bought the 240 kasumi.

Andrey V
02-11-2014, 02:37 PM
And i'm waiting for my Kato with Dragon engraving... I have already 5 Gyutos, somebody should stop me..:)
The one in 240 size looks great.. No, i should resist..

Anton
02-11-2014, 02:42 PM
I think Shigs are still in demand, they are great knives, and in some cases somewhat of a benchmark/standard IMO. That being said there is also more competition now days.

is it me or has the shigefusa craze finally come to an end?
if so, what is the reason in your opinion?

A 240mm kasumi gyuto has been up on maxims site for a couple days now and nobody has purchased it yet!?!?!?!

Andrey V
02-11-2014, 03:23 PM
I think Shigs are still in demand, they are great knives, and in some cases somewhat of a benchmark/standard IMO. That being said there is also more competition now days.

I suppose that many users prefer to get a Kitaeji rather then a Kasumi. This seems to be a trend

Asteger
02-11-2014, 03:43 PM
In the past year I've sold more than one Shigefusa, but my money's in stones now and one day I hope to go kitaeji. They're just too nice. Either that or, of course, Kikuryu. Both knives are way expensive though. Yikes.

Andrey V
02-12-2014, 01:56 AM
In the past year I've sold more than one Shigefusa, but my money's in stones now and one day I hope to go kitaeji. They're just too nice. Either that or, of course, Kikuryu. Both knives are way expensive though. Yikes.

I have many knives ( i use them as well), and i like all the Shigefusa versions- yesterday i've got my first Kuroushi Shige- i was really impressed- the finish is just outstanding! It's like a silk, very smooth. And of fourse, the Kitaeji is just a beauty.. I love it..
Next week i'll get my Kato Dragon- i suppose i will impressed me again :). The only one point i really regret is that i have missed the 300 mm Shigefusa Yanagiba- is was too long just without any movement- so i thought i' get it when i'll be ready- now it's too late.. Ok, next time :)
For this i'll get a top Masamoto Yanagi!

Seth
02-12-2014, 09:58 AM
I should point out that after you have owned most of the Shig types out there, or for anyone who feels they have run out of knives to buy, you are supposed to move on to folders. I am waiting for a Chris Reeve. Having said that; however, I still track available Shigs at all times.

Asteger
02-12-2014, 11:13 AM
I should point out that after you have owned most of the Shig types out there, or for anyone who feels they have run out of knives to buy, you are supposed to move on to folders.

I don't even know what's done with a folder. What's the appeal?

TaJ
02-13-2014, 04:30 PM
To me a folder serves the purpose of me not feeling naked. Also, there is always something to cut when on the road and if there is nothing i look for something. I now have the nice Kato Higonokami for that, a Benchmade takes second place now.

:knife:

brainsausage
02-13-2014, 09:33 PM
I should point out that after you have owned most of the Shig types out there, or for anyone who feels they have run out of knives to buy, you are supposed to move on to folders. I am waiting for a Chris Reeve. Having said that; however, I still track available Shigs at all times.

I've barely used my Shig since I bought it back in December. But only because it's been touring with Jon/Mike Henry. But I still want another 240. Just for peace of mind...

Bill13
02-28-2014, 04:05 PM
I've barely used my Shig since I bought it back in December. But only because it's been touring with Jon/Mike Henry. But I still want another 240. Just for peace of mind...

My Shig is with MHenry too. But I am curious why you wanted/needed to send yours to Jon. Was it new?