PDA

View Full Version : Help me finish this recipe

Craig
06-11-2012, 11:20 AM
So the first of the Ontario sugar snap peas are in, which made me want to cook something with them. I've also got a little elk strip steak that needs using, so I was thinking I'd do a steak and pea pasta. Not that there's really a recipe, but something like:

- Shallots, diced
- Garlic, minced
- Peas
- Steak, sliced
- Parsley, chopped
- Wild mushrooms, ideally morels if I can find them

Steak and mushrooms in a pan with a little fat, s + p. Add the onions and garlic. When they're getting a little brown, add the peas and <sauce>. Simmer for a bit, then add the pasta. Toss with parsley and drink a bottle of wine.

The thing I'm blanking on is <sauce>. I would think a demi glace would work, but I can't be bothered to make my own and I don't think I want to go the canned route. Would a little stock work? Maybe with a little flour to thicken it up? Red wine? I know I could go with sour cream or something and do a stroganoff sort of thing, but that's just not inspiring me.

BraisedorStewed
06-11-2012, 11:50 AM
I would deglaze with white wine, throw in some crushed red pepper, zest of a lemon, and mount with butter. You could finish with a touch of cream too.

JMac
06-11-2012, 01:08 PM
I would serve the pasta by it self ( being italian myself). I recently did a couple different pastas with sugar snap peas.

One with:
-Spaghetti
-sugar snaps-pre blanches,cut lengh wise
-Baby carrots
-Mint
-Basil
-Pignoli ( pinenuts)
-Butter
-Garlic
-Parmigiano
- Blanched,pured,tami'd pea shoots, this makes a pure green pea ''water'' or pure i add to the pan to add flavor and color to the pasta
this step is just a added step i do at the restaurant.

-Spaghetti
-garlic
-evoo
-Preserved spicy peppers
-white anchovies
-Sugar snap peas
-marjarom

Then the steak, keep it simple. Grilled, rested slices thin. Served with a Morel Vinigrette( Roasted morels, with thyme,evoo,garlic, good red wine vinegar.)

Simple italian

VoodooMajik
06-11-2012, 02:19 PM
I would do it with Fresh Pasta, Half Plum Tomato, Deglaze with with White Wine or Masala, Mount with butter and Top with Parm. Regiano.

A little pancetta or Double Smoke bacon never hurt anyone either.

cnochef
06-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Hey, Craig, a fellow Ontario resident here.

You know what else is in season right now? Garlic scapes! How about a garlic scape pesto for your pasta sauce? I made some last week and it's freakin' delicious with a mildly garlic and herbaceous flavour. I made mine with 1 cup chopped garlic scapes, 1 cup toasted pine nuts, 1 cup fresh parm, 1 cup extra virgin olive oil and 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper. Blended in my Vitamix.

Reserve some of your pasta cooking water to mix with the pesto and your pasta and peas, that makes it really creamy without cream.

SpikeC
06-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Now that is a great suggestion!

obtuse
06-16-2012, 12:40 AM
Sounds like like the beginning of a cottage pie for me

Tristan
06-16-2012, 07:49 AM
I'd put some small sweet plum tomatoes and butter in there, add in a decent touch of cream, then add cognac and cook/burn off the alcohol.

Craig
06-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Hey, Craig, a fellow Ontario resident here.

You know what else is in season right now? Garlic scapes! How about a garlic scape pesto for your pasta sauce? I made some last week and it's freakin' delicious with a mildly garlic and herbaceous flavour. I made mine with 1 cup chopped garlic scapes, 1 cup toasted pine nuts, 1 cup fresh parm, 1 cup extra virgin olive oil and 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper. Blended in my Vitamix.

Reserve some of your pasta cooking water to mix with the pesto and your pasta and peas, that makes it really creamy without cream.

This was a great suggestion, except I already cooked and ate it by the time you made it :D

I went with white wine, butter, parsley, tarragon and a squirt of lime juice. It was pretty good, but nothing special. Parm would have helped, next time.