PDA

View Full Version : Six months later

ThEoRy
06-15-2012, 11:07 AM
This is for you haters lol. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRHplpAaJj4&feature=youtu.be

NO ChoP!
06-15-2012, 11:18 AM
I've broke down a few fish in my day....you've got skillz, my man.

I especially like the formation of the tail piece into a perfect square....I will have to steal this....

El Pescador
06-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Not bad. Chef Giovanni could do it better! Just ask him!

All kidding aside, great video. You seem to be getting faster/more efficient from video to video. Keep it up! And keep the videos coming, they're awesome.

Eamon Burke
06-15-2012, 11:25 AM
The part you cut off at 1:14 and the pile you scoop up at 5:42...

:hungry: Nom Nom Nom

ThEoRy
06-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks No Chop, that means a lot coming from you.

Spicy Salmon Rolls Tonight!!

oivind_dahle
06-15-2012, 11:47 AM
you make this look easy :)
Love to have your skills! Damn!

MadMel
06-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Any chance of vids with smaller fish? (Small snapper, flathead, whiting etc) Having to break down quite a few both at school and at work.

DK chef
06-15-2012, 12:28 PM
Wonder where the fennel went :)

Great video, god skills and nice handle, clean and made it look easy.

I enjoy your videos

K-Fed
06-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Sparking that mioroshi fire again... d@mn you! Awesome vid/ tunes as always.

stereo.pete
06-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Well played, although Chef Giovanni would never allow fennel to be dropped on the ground.

chinacats
06-15-2012, 12:53 PM
6 months ago=nice
now=f&@#ing rocking!!!

I need a deba (and lessons)

Mike Davis
06-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Very nice! Makes me hungry for sushi...damn you :D

Lefty
06-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Great job and great knife!
You're a talented guy.

lowercasebill
06-15-2012, 01:40 PM
that was great..... but i got to watch you do it live and in person which was impressive. the flip side is , in a way it kind of sucked, because now i want to practice on a whole salmon and dont have a source.. bummer. all the knives and no fish:knife:
please keep the videos coming

kalaeb
06-15-2012, 02:44 PM
Well done.

You can never have too many videos.

re:Chef giovanni....Illegitimi non carborundum.

Still-edo
06-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Thats youtube awesome!

WildBoar
06-15-2012, 03:31 PM
... now i want to practice on a whole salmon and dont have a source.. bummer. Bill, you might want to ask Craig, as he was mentioning a good market for fresh fish in the Philadelphia area. Also, is there a Restaurant Depot near you? The one near me had whole salmon yesterday and today, plus whole rockfish and a couple other smaller while fish (changes daily).

Candlejack
06-15-2012, 03:51 PM
that was great..... but i got to watch you do it live and in person which was impressive. the flip side is , in a way it kind of sucked, because now i want to practice on a whole salmon and dont have a source.. bummer. all the knives and no fish:knife:
please keep the videos coming

Don't your local supermarket have a fish-whatchamacallit with fresh fish? Salmons shouldn't be hard to come by..

knyfeknerd
06-15-2012, 06:42 PM
Chef Giovanni says you suck and he could do this much better and 3 x faster with a Kasumi brand knife. They are the sharpest knives in the galaxy! Master Chef Giovanni is the greatest chef in the world. Bow to his awesomeness!!!!

Crothcipt
06-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Dam I miss portioning salmon. It is like meditating. It just seems all is right in the world.

The Edge
06-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Great video! Very inspiring.

SameGuy
06-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Whoa.

You think if I get a big-assed SaniTuff I can develop skills like that? :p Very entertaining to watch!

ajhuff
06-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Wish I could get instructed in how to do that. Also wish I had access to fish like that. Double bummed.

-AJ

SameGuy
06-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Yep.

Pensacola Tiger
06-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Just out of sheer curiosity, but how many salmon would you say you've broken down in the last six months to get to that level of skill?

Mike Davis
06-16-2012, 01:04 AM
Just to let you know, Yes...we do have salmon in michigan lol...just usually do not look that good!

ThEoRy
06-16-2012, 01:48 AM
Any chance of vids with smaller fish? (Small snapper, flathead, whiting etc) Having to break down quite a few both at school and at work.

Yes I have some smaller fish somewhere. Black bass, grouper etc. I'll try and upload one next.

ThEoRy
06-16-2012, 01:49 AM
Wonder where the fennel went :)

Great video, god skills and nice handle, clean and made it look easy.

I enjoy your videos

Into the prep sink to get washed. Thanks for the compliments!

ThEoRy
06-16-2012, 01:50 AM
Well played, although Chef Giovanni would never allow fennel to be dropped on the ground.

I know I know I'm a hack compared to the CEC's of youtube lol.

ThEoRy
06-16-2012, 01:53 AM
Chef Giovanni says you suck and he could do this much better and 3 x faster with a Kasumi brand knife. They are the sharpest knives in the galaxy! Master Chef Giovanni is the greatest chef in the world. Bow to his awesomeness!!!!

:surrendar::begging:

ThEoRy
06-16-2012, 01:53 AM
Wish I could get instructed in how to do that. Also wish I had access to fish like that. Double bummed.

-AJ

I am instructing you on how to do that.....

Only a single bummer then.

:D

ThEoRy
06-16-2012, 02:17 AM
Just out of sheer curiosity, but how many salmon would you say you've broken down in the last six months to get to that level of skill?

Gahhh hard to say... Some weeks 2 or 3, some weeks 8 or more. Lets say on the low average 3 per week then. Maybe 72-80 since then by now. But I've had it down for about 5 months now. I'm sort of a quick study.

eshua
06-16-2012, 03:21 AM
Seems like you pretty much have it on lock down.

Do you ever cut from the tail end? I don't argue that it matters for larger fish on hot line, but still I enjoyed getting into the habit.

mano
06-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Bill, you might want to ask Craig, as he was mentioning a good market for fresh fish in the Philadelphia area. Also, is there a Restaurant Depot near you? The one near me had whole salmon yesterday and today, plus whole rockfish and a couple other smaller while fish (changes daily).

Bill, there's http://hellersseafood.com/ Heller's Seafood not far from you. They're much more fresh than supermarkets, which get their fish pre-cut.

My guess is Hellers gets their fish from Samuels and Son right off 95 in the food distributor district in Philly. They literally have tons of the freshest fish in the area at true wholesale prices. Just call ahead and order, otherwise the wait can be pretty long. Get on their email list for daily and monthly specials.

Look at the bottom left for whole verlasso and king salmon on sale today.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs068/1103648265095/archive/1110251339552.html

I might be going there today to pick up some lobsters.

And Theory did a terrific job breaking down a large salmon at the ECG in not the best conditions. He's a natural at explaining what he's doing and why. Thanks to Chris for cooking them up perfectly.

lowercasebill
06-16-2012, 09:15 AM
i went to hellers once years ago and forgot all about it .. thanks.. check out linda beans lobsters approx$ 200 per dozen shipping included. i ordered for christmas eve and for my recent birthday. very happy both times alive and kicking they were.

Dave Martell
06-16-2012, 02:18 PM
And Theory did a terrific job breaking down a large salmon at the ECG in not the best conditions. He's a natural at explaining what he's doing and why. Thanks to Chris for cooking them up perfectly.

I missed his demo (even though I was only 10' away at the time talking) but I didn't miss the cooked results which was AWESOME! Both Robin and myself loved the salmon and did our fair share of consumption. :doublethumbsup:

ajhuff
06-16-2012, 02:30 PM
I am instructing you on how to do that.....

Only a single bummer then.

:D

Kind of. I don't know what or why you are doing what you do. Other than cleaning bluegills and filleting a few bass as a kid, I've never really worked with fish. When I was in school we were of course supposed to be taught breaking down fish but it snowed and two weeks of school got cancelled and I never have had the opportunity to learn it since. One day in my future I will learn.

-AJ

ThEoRy
06-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Kind of. I don't know what or why you are doing what you do. Other than cleaning bluegills and filleting a few bass as a kid, I've never really worked with fish. When I was in school we were of course supposed to be taught breaking down fish but it snowed and two weeks of school got cancelled and I never have had the opportunity to learn it since. One day in my future I will learn.

-AJ

I can try and annotate the film for you on my day off. Maybe that can be of some help.

MadMel
06-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Yes I have some smaller fish somewhere. Black bass, grouper etc. I'll try and upload one next.

Appreciate it! :doublethumbsup: