PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap!

PierreRodrigue
06-22-2012, 12:20 AM
Sweet mother! So anyway the new HTML site is up. I checked back in, we worked out a new pricing list, here are the new blade prices! We are still early in production/planning, but anyway! http://butcherbakerstore.com/collections/blade

Our goal is to provide quality steel, and all but bulletproof construction at a very reasonable price. The balance here for us, is the potential to sell custom, or one-of bespoke knives, at custom prices.

ajhuff
06-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Love that fillet knife!

-AJ

Deckhand
06-22-2012, 12:31 AM
Great site! And works on iPad now! I like the cleaver.

kalaeb
06-22-2012, 12:36 AM
Good stuff!

The hekler
06-22-2012, 01:23 AM
Instead of opening many of the links just switch pictures on my iPhone. I like some things on the site, (the knives, cutting boards seem a tremendous value if the quality is good), but the range of products seems awfully wide. High end custom kitchen Knive next to canvas man purses? Seems a stretch. I'm glad i can finally view it with apple products, hope your personal site will soon follow suit!

obtuse
06-22-2012, 05:06 AM
Are these for sale now? Because you said you're in the planning stages, but they look available.

Andrew H
06-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Pierre,
Are these knives different in anyway than your customs in terms of how much work you put into them?
They look like great knives.

PierreRodrigue
06-22-2012, 08:34 AM
Pierre,
Are these knives different in anyway than your customs in terms of how much work you put into them?
They look like great knives.
These are midtechs, materials are the same as I use, same HT, just a lot of CNC work. Computers and machines as opposed to hand made, they are hand assembled, polished, and sharpened. The ones in the photos are hand made prototypes.

I believe they are at pre order, still working the timing out.

Andrew H
06-22-2012, 11:18 AM
These are midtechs, materials are the same as I use, same HT, just a lot of CNC work. Computers and machines as opposed to hand made, they are hand assembled, polished, and sharpened. The ones in the photos are hand made prototypes.

I believe they are at pre order, still working the timing out.
That's what I assumed. They are also hand ground, yes?

obtuse
06-22-2012, 11:27 AM
I pre-ordered one of the boning knives :)

ajhuff
06-22-2012, 11:31 AM
I pre-ordered one of the boning knives :)

I am tempted to. That boning knife is sweet.

-AJ

eshua
06-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Do they come with the nose to tail logo on them? Not that it should make a big difference, but it would be cool to see your mark or even unmarked before that brand.

JohnnyChance
06-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Do they come with the nose to tail logo on them? Not that it should make a big difference, but it would be cool to see your mark or even unmarked before that brand.

I believe they have both Pierre's mark and the Nose to Tail logo.

markenki
06-22-2012, 12:52 PM
I'm jonesing for the cleaver! Pierre, could you please share the dimensions and weight.

Thanks,

Mark

add
06-22-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm jonesing for the cleaver! Pierre, could you please share the dimensions and weight.

Thanks,

Mark

Yep, thought I was the only one not seeing the knife dim.

Great looking knife offerings... pure and simple.
Maybe a parer in the future?

Best wishes on this venture Pierre, looks like a winner!
:doublethumbsup:

jm2hill
06-22-2012, 01:36 PM

Thanks,

Mark

I don't have the weight but heres some info:

CPM154. 220 cutting edge, 110 high. 3/32 stock, distal taper, and full taper spine to edge.

Edit: I also can't wait to get one of these cleavers.

markenki
06-22-2012, 01:47 PM
I don't have the weight but heres some info:

CPM154. 220 cutting edge, 110 high. 3/32 stock, distal taper, and full taper spine to edge.

Edit: I also can't wait to get one of these cleavers.
Thanks. The weight will be really important. I hope it's light! Close to 400g would be great.

Yes, that spine to edge taper looked very impressive in the photo.

Looking forward to the first review of it! Who's preordered?

PierreRodrigue
06-22-2012, 09:13 PM
I'll get the weight here in a bit. Just found out there is now free shipping on knives (and orders over $100)! Not sure for how long though. Also spoke with the owner, he will likely be shipping in flat rate boxes in the future, so that will take care of a lot of worries.

Yes all knives are dual branded.

PierreRodrigue
06-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Right now it's 450 grams, We are planning to skeletonize the handle tang, and thin the bolsters a bit, maybe knock a tad off the heel of the knife. Lower the weight some more.

What are your thoughts?

kalaeb
06-22-2012, 10:49 PM
450 is pretty good for a full size cleaver.

markenki
06-22-2012, 11:02 PM
450 isn't bad, but I'd prefer closer to 400. :-)

One thing you might consider doing (not necessarily for the weight saving) is shortening the handle. It doesn't need to be that long. Short and fat handles are good on a cleaver.

Looking forward to hearing more about this knife!

Thanks,

Mark

PierreRodrigue
06-22-2012, 11:21 PM
The handle will also be shortened 3/4". That, skeletonized handle, narrower bolster, and maybe some material removal from the tang side of the blade... If I can hit 420, 430 I will be pleased.

markenki
06-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Sounds like you have a winner there, Pierre!

DarrenSwerid
06-22-2012, 11:31 PM

To my understanding, a mid-tech knife is just like a custom knife except that the shape is cut out on a water jet cutting machine. This makes a blank similar to the blanks Jantz or any other knife supply shop sells. Pierre would then grind the profile, heat treat, polish etc etc.

The only thing he wouldn't be doing is cutting the shape of the knife out of a blank piece of steel.

Please correct me if I am wrong. :D

wenus2
06-22-2012, 11:37 PM
Got the free shipping email for orders over $100.
It just says limited time, no time frame.

Pierre, can you give some specs on that boning knife?

PierreRodrigue
06-22-2012, 11:46 PM
At this price point, as mentioned else where, Laser cut, cnc parts, assembled and hand finished. These are my design, to my spec, but are higher tech involvement than what I'm branding as my pro series. These knives are using the same steel (CPM 154) and HT as my customs, but remember, more work I do on them, then more we have to charge.

These are not intended to compete with my pro series, or be custom friendly. What you see is what you get. These are intended to be high quality knives, at a price that is attainable by many more people.

PierreRodrigue
06-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Got the free shipping email for orders over $100.
It just says limited time, no time frame.

Pierre, can you give some specs on that boning knife?

13" OAL, Handle is 5 3/8" Blade is 7 5/8"

3/32" stock, distal taper. slight flex.

I don't have the weight.

kalaeb
06-23-2012, 12:14 AM
These are not intended to compete with my pro series, or be custom friendly. What you see is what you get. These are intended to be high quality knives, at a price that is attainable by many more people.

You are going to have to show some people what you get with a full on Pierre cleaver, probably some wicked edge taking beautiful patinaing carbon with some some crazy unobtanium spalted burl and since you live in the land of mammoths, some killer mammoth tooth spacers....:D

PierreRodrigue
06-23-2012, 12:17 AM
You know what? Your right! Stay tuned... Lets see what comes together.

jm2hill
06-23-2012, 12:27 AM
When will info on the Pro series be out. I remember reading about it (I think) but don't remember much else!

PierreRodrigue
06-23-2012, 12:54 AM
They bottlenecked... Trying to resolve timing issues

HHH Knives
06-23-2012, 08:57 AM
At this price point, as mentioned else where, Laser cut, cnc parts, assembled and hand finished. These are my design, to my spec, but are higher tech involvement than what I'm branding as my pro series. These knives are using the same steel (CPM 154) and HT as my customs, but remember, more work I do on them, then more we have to charge.

Nice stuff. I need to have a few hundred blades made. Where do you get them done?

PierreRodrigue
06-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Different shops for each, whoever I feel gives the best product.

heldentenor
06-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Someone has GOT to buy one of those butcher knives and show it in use!

GLE1952
06-25-2012, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Andrew H

To my understanding, a mid-tech knife is just like a custom knife except that the shape is cut out on a water jet cutting machine. This makes a blank similar to the blanks Jantz or any other knife supply shop sells. Pierre would then grind the profile, heat treat, polish etc etc.

The only thing he wouldn't be doing is cutting the shape of the knife out of a blank piece of steel.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Pierre,
Forgive me if I am too dense to get it but does "hand finished" mean "hand ground"?
I hope you understand this question is due to your excellent grind reputation.

Thanks,
Glen

PierreRodrigue
06-25-2012, 05:26 PM
For this line Glen, they are being assembled by hand, and cleaned up/sharpened. There will not be any hand rubbed finish's. Majiority of materialwill be removed by CNC, then blended and finished on scotchbrite belts. They will mimic a hand rubbed finish, in the grindlines will be parallel to the spine (If cost permits) The value in this run, is the steel and HT.

Andrew H
06-25-2012, 05:30 PM
For this line Glen, they are being assembled by hand, and cleaned up/sharpened. There will not be any hand rubbed finish's. Majiority of materialwill be removed by CNC, then blended and finished on scotchbrite belts. They will mimic a hand rubbed finish, in the grindlines will be parallel to the spine (If cost permits) The value in this run, is the steel and HT.

Thanks for laying it out for us, Pierre!

PierreRodrigue
06-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Thanks for laying it out for us, Pierre!

No problem. I just need to be clear on these. I was approached to design and provide a line of quality knives, that met a foreseen price point. We missed on the original pricing, but were able to source materials and facilities with better pricing, and still able to meet the quality levels I am striving to maintain. These knives will use CPM 154, with a salt bath HT and cryo finish (the same as my custom process) But because they are being done in large numbers, we are able to put them together, and pass the savings to the end customer. The price could have easily been higher, but these are not aimed at the custom folks, or high end knife nuts. More so in a work horse environment, be it a pro kitchen, or at home. Yet the look and feel of the knife, gives it more of a custom touch with the materials selected, mosaics, G10, and the steel itself.

I think that there is an area in the retail knife world for a line like this. There has been a lot of stigma attached to midtechs in the kitchen, which is odd, because there seems to be no issues buying an EDC, or tactical form company ABC that had it designed by Mr. J Doe, and pay $200 to $500 or more. I'm not sure where the separation is. But as I said, I believe there is a place in the market for knives like these.

I want to thank all of you who have shown enthusiasm, and interest in this project, and I am looking forward to getting some of these knives out there and put them to work!
Pierre

Lefty
06-25-2012, 07:06 PM
They look great!
And to further go with Pierre's point, how is a mid-tech any worse than a knife made by multiple people (most Japanese knives)? The answer is, when done properly, they aren't. A good mid-tech shoul always be as good as the QC allows, because the guy with his name attached to it is doing final QC. In the case of Pierre, his QC is second to none (in my opinion).

DarrenSwerid
06-25-2012, 11:13 PM
I remember when Pierre first started making knives, I was his rodman at the time, he would ask me to take a look at a knife he was near completed and ask me to pick it apart. He always is looking to make things better and improve on his work.

chinacats
06-26-2012, 12:50 AM
The Nose to Tail chef's is a beautiful knife, any chance of seeing an expanded line with wa handles?

Cheers,

Lefty
06-26-2012, 08:21 AM
So, maybe I missed it, but these will still have a convex/combo grind on the blade face, correct? Am I right in thinking it will be ground this way, and when it reaches you for the final touches and OK, you'll ensure the grind/f and f is all done correctly, otherwise it's fixed or sent back?

PierreRodrigue
06-26-2012, 08:29 AM
Yes, the blades are going to be convex ground, not hollow-convex like the Beta knife Salty has. F and F will be tight.

PierreRodrigue
06-26-2012, 08:30 AM
The Nose to Tail chef's is a beautiful knife, any chance of seeing an expanded line with wa handles?

Cheers,

I can't say for certain, but there is always a chance. :)

Lefty
06-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Gotcha! Thanks, Pierre. :)
It'll be cool to see who first gets one, from here.

GLE1952
06-26-2012, 11:10 AM
They look great!
And to further go with Pierre's point, how is a mid-tech any worse than a knife made by multiple people (most Japanese knives)? The answer is, when done properly, they aren't. A good mid-tech shoul always be as good as the QC allows, because the guy with his name attached to it is doing final QC. In the case of Pierre, his QC is second to none (in my opinion).

Totally agree, I have no problems with mid techs.
I believe mid techs, when done under tight scrutiny as it appears here, gives many more people the chance to sample the original makers handiwork.
Since the machine finishing mimics Pierre's hand grind, this should be an quality knife.
I'm giving the Gyuto very serious consideration

Best of luck,
Glen

heldentenor
06-26-2012, 04:00 PM
This project makes a lot of sense for all the reasons Pierre laid out. I can't imagine spending full custom $$ on a boning or fillet knife that I would only use infrequently. But $215 for a knife that Pierre designed and signed off on? Beats the hell out of spending comparable money on a Henckels.