PDA

View Full Version : Sustainable Seafood Info

JanusInTheGarden
07-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Hello all,

I'm trying to do some research on sustainable seafood but I'm finding that its difficult to wade through a lot of B.S. to get to the real guidelines and useful information. Has anyone done any research on this topic and if so do you have any books/websites to recommend?

Thus far I've found the only useful info on websites of Monterrey Bay Aquarium and Greenpeace.

lowercasebill
07-05-2012, 06:41 PM
monterrey bay is decent and i will email my friend who recently retired from the federal govt salt water fisheries. last time i asked him for info he included monterrey on the list.. will post his reply when i get it .. it may be somewhere on this forum already [or on greeneggers.com] he is currently consulting about clams.. " hi i am a clam consultant "
lcb

ecchef
07-05-2012, 07:46 PM
http://blueocean.org/programs/sustainable-seafood-program/

steelcity
07-09-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm waiting on a buddy to send me some info so I can pass it on to you. I do some commercial spearfishing out of the Tampa Bay area and it really is a great way to produce a great product that's sustainable. Fresh grouper, hogfish, and snapper all collected with no by-catch due to using experienced shooters who can pick and choose the legal and quality fish. The fish are managed by seasons and quota.

steelcity
07-09-2012, 02:37 PM
I will pass the info on once I have it and feel free to contact me or my friend who runs it. The fish are tagged with a tracking number and will have a brief history to them as to when/where they were caught. The tag will also allow you to track your fish straight to your restaurant.

JanusInTheGarden
07-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Steelcity, that sounds awesome. Let me know when you have the info on it. Is there a website? I haven't heard too much in the way of spearfishing. How efficient/cost effective is the practice? Looking forward to reading about it!

Crothcipt
07-09-2012, 10:55 PM
This sounds cool steelcity.

steelcity
07-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Sorry for not getting back to you guys. I was traveling from Tampa to North Dakota yesterday. I'm up here for two week for work. Here is a link to give you guys some more info (http://mygulfwild.com/). My buddy is still putting his personal site together but this is the program that he's involved in. I believe he's already shipping to restaurants in Atlanta and possibly Denver. Take a look over the program and let me know what you think.

Sara@JKI
07-11-2012, 01:13 AM
One of our very good friends is working at Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, CA... I remember that they have (or preparing) some programs related on this topic.... please check what this aquarium does when you have a minute: http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/conservation/

steelcity
07-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Forgot to mention that my buddy's contact number can be found under the "Order Now" tab for those of you who'd like some more information on a quality product.