PDA

View Full Version : Sub forum for what should I buy?

SpikeC
07-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Given the frequency of the above question, would a sub forum dictated to that be helpful to get new people started?

brainsausage
07-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Given the frequency of the above question, would a sub forum dictated to that be helpful to get new people started?

Sounds like an excellent idea to me.

obtuse
07-05-2012, 06:11 PM
That sounds like and excellent idea. Then we can have all these questions in the same place and new users can easily reference the information.

Johnny.B.Good
07-05-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm not always for creating new sub forums (too many specialized sub forums is annoying, as evidenced on the old forum), but this sounds like a great idea to me (assuming those that post the same "what knife should I buy? question in the sub forum continue to receive helpful answers).

Eamon Burke
07-05-2012, 07:10 PM
I was thinking of this too. I think it would only really be a helpful improvement if it were cataloged well--maybe just encourage people to post what they ended up going with? Questions with lots of suggestions and no resolution is useless to those scouring the forum for information.

SpikeC
07-05-2012, 07:38 PM
I was thinking of this as an adjunct to further queries, to give people a starting point without having to cover already well trod paths. Final resolution of the posters search is a necessary part of it, I think.

El Pescador
07-05-2012, 07:42 PM
I was thinking of this as an adjunct to further queries, to give people a starting point without having to cover already well trod paths. Final resolution of the posters search is a necessary part of it, I think.

I nominate you as head of new said subforum.

Eamon Burke
07-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Well, I wouldn't want to assume people should go the same route as others in similar situations--the point is to use our group expertise to find a knife that fits just right for THAT person, and also not create fads where everyone is told to buy the same brand over and over.

SpikeC
07-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Yes, the idea is that they can see what others have asked and have answered, and then proceed to investigate what is best for them. Obviously there is no "one size fits all" here.

chinacats
07-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Great idea!

DeepCSweede
07-06-2012, 01:02 AM
I think that this is a great idea and then the what to buy questionaire can be the first item on the forum to make it easier for new members to access.

Johnny.B.Good
07-06-2012, 01:12 AM
I have heard this recommended before, but I think that Eamon's questionnaire should be expanded to include questions about handle preferences (wa vs. yo) and steel (carbon vs. stainless), as these two questions are almost always asked of those that fill out the questionnaire.

Eamon Burke
07-06-2012, 03:12 AM
Yeah, I've been meaning to revisit it.

brainsausage
07-06-2012, 04:55 AM
Should probably throw in some type of a primer on the whole knife set vs. buying individual knives to fit your needs. No one ever seems to catch on to that when they fill out the questionnaire. Most 'help me' posts seem to include the term: 'knife set' , somewhere in the title...

Namaxy
07-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Should probably throw in some type of a primer on the whole knife set vs. buying individual knives to fit your needs. No one ever seems to catch on to that when they fill out the questionnaire. Most 'help me' posts seem to include the term: 'knife set' , somewhere in the title...

That's a good point.

Would also be cool if more 'first posters' eventually followed up with what they decided.

brainsausage
07-06-2012, 11:27 PM
That's a good point.

Would also be cool if more 'first posters' eventually followed up with what they decided.

Agreed.