PDA

View Full Version : Passaround Suggestions

pitonboy
07-12-2012, 07:19 PM
I liked the Cut Brooklyn passaround so much (so far) that I was wondering if there were other knives that held that much interest. I am proposing that we make suggestions and we will go from there. Obviously, long waiting-list items like a Kramer might be interesting but I can't get my hands one one if I wanted to. Anyway, suggest away:cool2:

Andrew H
07-12-2012, 08:32 PM
I've wanted to try a heiji for awhile now, especially after seeing them at the ECG.

add
07-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Wow, you are gonna get real popular, real quick around here. :D

Here is one I'd love to take out for a spin (as long as you are asking... he he):
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/kochi/kochi-240mm-kurouchi-kiritsuke-shaped-wa-gyuto.html#

Crothcipt
07-12-2012, 09:09 PM

Here is one I'd love to take out for a spin (as long as you are asking... he he):
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/kochi/kochi-240mm-kurouchi-kiritsuke-shaped-wa-gyuto.html#
I was wondering about this one last week.

pitonboy
07-12-2012, 09:22 PM
I am going to JKI next week while on holiday, so suggestions involving their merchandise would be especially apt (I don't NEED another knife but I know I'm going to buy something)

The hekler
07-13-2012, 01:54 AM
Wow, lucky you. I'm sure no one can make suggestions better then Jon plus you will get a chance to handle the knives in person which is a major up side. You can always use another knife that's part of the fun of Japanese knives they are so specialized there's always a few you don't own yet!

Crothcipt
07-13-2012, 01:59 AM
I have been curious about Nenox since I first saw one.

The Edge
07-13-2012, 02:07 AM

If you want to wait a couple months, I've actually got that one. I'm just having fun with it for now, so I need to wait a while before I send it away on holiday.

add
08-07-2012, 12:14 PM
If you want to wait a couple months, I've actually got that one. I'm just having fun with it for now, so I need to wait a while before I send it away on holiday.

Taylor, if that works for you sometime in the future, definitely on board here.

Any initial impressions of the knife?
Last time I checked, couldn't seem to find any reviews on this one yet....

tgraypots
08-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Fujiwara. Been wanting to try one for years.

pitonboy
08-09-2012, 01:06 AM
Fujiwara. Been wanting to try one for years.

Do you mean the ones that Jon carries or the brand on JKI?

pitonboy
08-09-2012, 01:08 AM

I have the kochi but Jon put such a nice finish on it that I want to play with it for a bit before making a passaround, but it will happen

The Edge
08-09-2012, 05:15 AM
Taylor, if that works for you sometime in the future, definitely on board here.

Any initial impressions of the knife?
Last time I checked, couldn't seem to find any reviews on this one yet....

A quick overview of the knife is: thin behind the edge, bevel set on knife when received was amazing, and f&f was some of the best I've seen on a knife in this price range. Performance was between my DT gyuto and gengetsu I received at the same time. Balance was very forward of the ferule, but seemed to go with the knife perfectly. Initial edge degraded fairly quickly, though I have yet to resharpen it, I want to reach for this knife first when I'm making something new.

tgraypots
08-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Yep, the Fujiwara (http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/fujiwara-teruyasu/fujiwara-maboroshi-no-meito-240mm-western-gytuo.html) that Jon carries, and Japan Woodworker used to carry. The one I remember pictured from JW seemed to be darker, almost kurouchi-esque though. I'm no longer buying new knives, but if I were, this is one I think I'd like to have.

pitonboy
08-09-2012, 03:13 PM
I've wanted to try a heiji for awhile now, especially after seeing them at the ECG.

Which heiji would you be most interested in?

Mucho Bocho
08-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Rookie has a Konosuke ZDP 240 gyuto that i've love to get my hands on. we'll see if its sticksonless!

wenus2
08-09-2012, 04:38 PM
I'm with Andrew on that. Would be fun to play with a Heiji gyuto.

Andrew H
08-09-2012, 05:21 PM

Anything of his that's semi stainless; I've heard so much about that steel.

add
08-11-2012, 05:26 PM
A quick overview of the knife is: thin behind the edge, bevel set on knife when received was amazing, and f&f was some of the best I've seen on a knife in this price range. Performance was between my DT gyuto and gengetsu I received at the same time. Balance was very forward of the ferule, but seemed to go with the knife perfectly. Initial edge degraded fairly quickly, though I have yet to resharpen it, I want to reach for this knife first when I'm making something new.

Thanks Taylor.

Much appreciated.

I have the kochi but Jon put such a nice finish on it that I want to play with it for a bit before making a passaround, but it will happen

Piton, is your initial impression in line with the above?

pitonboy
08-11-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm with Andrew on that. Would be fun to play with a Heiji gyuto.

You may have to settle for a Heiji Suji

pitonboy
08-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks Taylor.

Much appreciated.

Piton, is your initial impression in line with the above?

This is a PRETTY knife with great fit and finish. Doesn't flex. Great cutter. No complaints but then again, I will leave that to the passaround opinions

pitonboy
09-06-2012, 01:25 PM
Have the Heiji on the road and the Kochi to go soon. Namaxy is organizing a pass for the Fujiwara/Gengetsu. We had one request for a Nenox. Any other knives people would be inertested in seeing passed around?

Andrew H
09-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Have the Heiji on the road and the Kochi to go soon. Namaxy is organizing a pass for the Fujiwara/Gengetsu. We had one request for a Nenox. Any other knives people would be inertested in seeing passed around?

Shigefusa 240, of course. :D

pitonboy
10-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Have four knives cycling around the country. Was wondering if anyone else had any requests for future passarounds?

Pensacola Tiger
10-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Have four knives cycling around the country. Was wondering if anyone else had any requests for future passarounds?

I wouldn't mind a chance to use one of Maksim's Yoshiaki Fujiwara gyutos. They have gotten so many glowing reports on the forum that my curiosity has been piqued.

Cutty Sharp
10-02-2012, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't mind a chance to use one of Maksim's Yoshiaki Fujiwara gyutos. They have gotten so many glowing reports on the forum that my curiosity has been piqued.

Yes! Maybe Maxim could initiate a passaround after his holiday?