PDA

View Full Version : Possible pass around!

PierreRodrigue
04-13-2011, 11:52 PM
Hey guys, there was a thread started today, asking if there was interest in a pass around. Dave and Jim, looking out for us makers closed the thread that was started. I did appreciate what they were doing, nice to see the mods are on top of things here quickly! :ggodjob:

Now comes this thread, which I might add, I cleared with Dave and Jim, so we are good to go. I am proposing to offer 1 of 3 possible knives to make rounds to those interested, and seeing as Lefty started the origional thread, he graciously agreed to referee this one.

What I would like to know, is who is interested, and which of the following knives you would like to see first hand.

1 270mm Hybrid handled Sujihiki in CPM 154

2 240mm Western handled Gyuto in CPM 154

3 240mm Gyuto in Rose pattern Damasteel

Majority will rule.

Final number of people on the list, and duration in hand to be determined.

So there you have it, let me, sorry us, know your thoughts. :scared2:

Pierre

SpikeC
04-13-2011, 11:59 PM
I would be interested in trying a sujihiki in CPM 154, although the gyutos would be of interest as well.

JBroida
04-14-2011, 12:12 AM
damasteel ;)

kalaeb
04-14-2011, 01:01 AM
+1 for the 240 damasteel. You are very kind to take this on Pierre. THANK YOU!

spinblue
04-14-2011, 06:13 AM
I would be interested in trying a sujihiki in CPM 154

+1
Count me in please one way or another.

I think its great the way the makers are stepping up for these pass around's.

There is no way I would be able to try all these great skills out otherwise.

Many thanks.

EdipisReks
04-14-2011, 09:07 AM
I would be interested in trying a sujihiki in CPM 154, although the gyutos would be of interest as well.

the sujihiki piques my interest the most too, but i'd love to try the others, as well.

echerub
04-14-2011, 09:09 AM
My vote's for gyuto.

Thank you, Pierre!

Pensacola Tiger
04-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks, Pierre! I'll vote for #3, the gyuto in damasteel.

so_sleepy
04-14-2011, 09:27 AM
I would like to sign up for option 3.

Lefty
04-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Do I still get to vote? :D
Damasteel all the way!
I've wanted to see it in person for a little while now!

bprescot
04-14-2011, 09:41 AM
I would also vote for the damasteel, as I've never handled it and am curious.

WildBoar
04-14-2011, 12:21 PM
#1 -- Been there, got the t-shirt :happy2:

#2 -- not my first choice, but woud try it anyway. :cool2:

#3 -- I would love to be in on a pass-around with one of your new damasteel knives :thumbsup2:

Lefty
04-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Looks like my routing issue shouldn't be too tough!
This list looks strangely familiar...
:biggrin2: :thumbsup2:

Pensacola Tiger
04-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Looks like my routing issue shouldn't be too tough!
This list looks strangely familiar...
:biggrin2: :thumbsup2:

Maybe it's time to start a "permanent pass-around pool"?

PierreRodrigue
04-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Do I still get to vote? :D
Damasteel all the way!
I've wanted to see it in person for a little while now!

Well I guess your vote counts... :D

heldentenor
04-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Count me in for any of them, but I'm most interested in option #2 (the sujihiki). Thanks!

Lefty
04-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Ooh...it's getting closer! Suji is coming on strong!

chuck239
04-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Pierre,

I vote for Damasteel. I thinks its something the majority of us have not tried (at least in a kitchen knife)

-Chuck

Andrew H
04-15-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm going to have to go with damasteel gyuto.
Thanks for doing this Pierre!

Lefty
04-15-2011, 10:02 PM
If you haven't already sent me a pm with your city and state/province, please do so soon enough. I want to get the routing figured out for this badboy!

Eamon Burke
04-17-2011, 01:29 PM
If I'm not too late, the suji sounds very enticing to me. I'll go with the damasteel as a close second.

RobinW
04-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Suji would be my preference, so 1

Lefty
04-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Sorry everyone...sign up is done!
If we let it keep going, we won't have this thing wrapped up until the next winter olympics.
I'll be posting the pass around routing and rules tomorrow afternoon.
Once you've read the rules, let me know if you're still in or not.
Thanks for all the interest and secret pm's . ;)

Pensacola Tiger
04-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Which knife will it be? Door #1, #2 or #3?

Lefty
04-18-2011, 02:20 PM
This list is COMPLETE!
If you aren't on here and you had interest in the pass around, I'm sorry, but there is only so much room. More importantly, I need to protect Pierre's beautiful work the best I can, as I believe we ALL do.

I would like to thank Pierre for making this pass around come together. I speak on behalf of all of us, when I say this...so, THANKS BEAR!

Pass Around rules will be as follows:

1. I release kitchenknifeforums.com, it's members, etc from any liability that results from my participating in this passaround. This includes any damages that may result from using, abusing, or testing the passaround knife. I am over 18 years of age, and the knife involved in the passaround is legal to possess in my jurisdiction.

2. I agree that I will have the passaround knife for a period of ten days, then send it to the next person on the list, at my expense. I agree that postage and insurance are my responsibility and that should the knife fail to reach the next member of the list, it is my responsibility to replace it.

3. When sending the knife, I will send by a method that requires signature confirmation and insure the package for an amount equal to or greater than the replacement cost of the knife, which is $750.00 US. I acknowledge that this will be more expensive and bear the sole responsibility for these costs. I will carefully package the knife / item with all seams taped and the item secured wrapped within the package.

(USPS is considered to be the cheapest and fastest service for mailing a passaround knife, however UPS is faster on claim service).

4. I will make the best effort to pass along the knife in as good of condition as possible, if not better. If the blade is dull and I feel confident in my sharpening skills, I will put a fresh edge on the knife before I send it along. I will clean any grime or residue off the blade before passing it along.

5. In the event the knife is broken, fails, or is otherwise destroyed, I will immediately contact the owner of the knife (Pierre).

6. If the knife failed due to abuse that is not covered by the warranty, it is my responsibility to replace the knife.

7. It is *my* responsibility for getting the knife to the next person on the list.

By taking part in this pass around, we are all agreeing to write a a review of the knife, along with what we like/love and if there is anything we do would change about it. We have to be honest, because they are for Pierre, in order to further understand what exactly we all like in a knife.
Once you are finished the review, send it to me via email (I'll let you know my address via pm), and I will forward it on to Pierre.

I'll post the pass around order in another post, in a very very short time.
Thanks everyone, for your interest!

Lefty
04-18-2011, 02:28 PM
The order is as follows:

1) ME :D
2) echerub
3) caddy
4) edipisreks
5) mattrud
6) robinw
7) andrewh
8) heldentenor
9) bprescot
10) Pensacola Tiger
11) johndoughy
12) Tom V.
13) so_sleepy
14) jbroida
15) chuck239
16) spikec
17) kalaeb
18) Adam
19) spinblue

* Jim will be inserted where he best fits, geographically, so you might be bumped down one spot, depending on your location.

I'll let Pierre announce which knife it is going to be. I will tell you this...it is not a bread knife. :)

PierreRodrigue
04-18-2011, 08:16 PM
Gentlemen, first of all I would like to thank each of you for taking the time to be part of this pass around. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this knife, and learning from you, how to improve on future builds. I also want to thank Lefty (Tom) for his part in this as well, without whom, this would have dragged out a bit longer I fear!

I am offering an opportunity to try out a newer steel in kitchen knives, something that has found its home in hunters, tacticals, and upscale folders. Yes, Damasteel was the winner by a hair. So a 240mm western handled Damasteel Gyuto will eventually find its way to each of you. From my early testing, Damasteel offers pretty much everything CPM154 does, but with a little visual character. This piece is "Rose" pattern. It has a full distal taper, flat ground, slight convex edge, with a slightly shorter profile than some I have out there. The knife will ship as if it was going to a customer. Packaged is a new Japanese print cloth bag, with an edge protector, and will be numbered, with a Certificate of Origin, and basic care instructions. All I ask, is that the knife goes to the next person packaged in a similar fashion to how you received it.

Those of you confident in the finer art of sharpening, can of course sharpen it if needed, it would be nice for the next person in line to have a fresh edge. If you choose not to sharpen, and the edge needs work, let the next person in line know that.

I hope each of you get the opportunity to put this knife through its paces. As a home cook, I could not put it through what some of you can. Please don't abuse it, but defiantly use it! I look forward to hearing your likes, and learning from your dislikes.

Thanks and enjoy!

Pierre

EdipisReks
04-18-2011, 08:31 PM
awesome! i can't wait to try the knife. :)

RobinW
04-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Looking forward to it!
Will be nice to compare the Damasteel to the S35VNfrom same maker!

Thanks to Lefty and Pierre for doing this!

kalaeb
04-18-2011, 09:51 PM
This may possibly be the longest 170 days of my life. But I am definitely excited. Thank you for making it possible. :headbang:

Eamon Burke
04-18-2011, 10:53 PM
This is gonna be a good one! Looking forward to this!

Lefty
04-18-2011, 11:16 PM
There's a slight change to the routing. One addition, and one subtraction.
Hopefully some of you are ok waiting an extra 10 days!.. Just kidding, it didn't change much for anyone, luckily!

Here's the new list:
1) ME
2) echerub
3) caddy
4) edipisreks
5) Jim
6) mattrud
7) robinw
8) heldentenor
9) bprescot
10) Pensacola Tiger
11) johndoughy
12) Tom V.
13) so_sleepy
14) jbroida
15) chuck239
16) spikec
17) kalaeb
18) Adam
19) spinblue

WildBoar
04-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Dang -- did not make the cut, so will be living through you guys! Looking forward to hearing a bit about one of Pierre's gyutos! :thumbsup:

oivind_dahle
04-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Good luck with the test :)
looking forward to reviews :) :)

Lefty
04-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Wildboar...you did, but I'm an idiot and I missed your name. Man, I suck! Haha
C'mon, it's my first time organizing one of these! Haha
I'll let everyone know where you're going in, in a minute.

Lefty
04-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Here's the new list:
1) ME
2) echerub
3) caddy
4) edipisreks
5) Jim
6) mattrud
7) robinw
8) wildboar
9) heldentenor
10) bprescot
11) Pensacola Tiger
12) johndoughy
13) Tom V.
14) so_sleepy
15) jbroida
16) chuck239
17) spikec
18) kalaeb
19) Adam
20) spinblue

There, a nice even 20!

WildBoar
04-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Great -- thanks! :thumbsup2:

Eamon Burke
04-19-2011, 10:14 PM
:fishslap:David! Don't make me come over there!

Lefty
04-24-2011, 06:45 AM
Remember the sexy damasteel gyuto we're getting a chance to drool on and put through its paces?
It's getting clooooosssserrrr! :happy1::headbang:

PierreRodrigue
04-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Well, it's a wrap! Got the blade etched yesterday, the bolsters dovetailed and scales fit. Rough shaped last night, and finished sanding and the polish today. I'll get it packed up and off tomorrow, or Tuesday I hope.

Again, thanks to you guys who are willing to help a guy out with your reviews.

Here are a few quick pics...
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/bladebuilder/Picture1579.jpg
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/bladebuilder/Picture1580.jpg
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/bladebuilder/Picture1578.jpg
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/bladebuilder/Picture1577.jpg
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/bladebuilder/Picture1583.jpg

Lefty
04-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Woooowwwwwwww!
Grey ghost is dead sexy!
Amazing looking knife! It looks so thin!
This is going to be fun!

Lefty
04-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Is it weird that I posted already? Haha

SpikeC
04-24-2011, 06:59 PM
It reminds me of the P-40 "Flying Tiger"! Very cool!!

goodchef1
04-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Two gyutos side by side would do well comparison wise.

Pensacola Tiger
04-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Very nice, I'm looking forward to several weeks in the future.

SpikeC
04-24-2011, 07:19 PM
:crying: I have to look forward a good half a year into the future!!
:ohmy:

Lefty
04-24-2011, 07:29 PM
You could always move to the East Coast, Spike! :D

Pensacola Tiger
04-24-2011, 07:36 PM
You could always move to the East Coast, Spike! :D

Or somewhat north a bit. Like maybe Vancouver?

SpikeC
04-24-2011, 07:43 PM
I will just have to be patient. I ain't goin' nowhere!
Portland oregon is north enough, thankyouverymuch!!

WildBoar
04-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Nice! Man, I can't wait to see this thing in person!

oivind_dahle
04-25-2011, 06:12 AM
Lefty: I look forward to your review on this coming weekend. Im VERY interested in the feedbacks on this knife

Lefty
04-25-2011, 12:51 PM
It will likely be towards the end of my ten days with it to give a fair assessment.
I'm going to put it head to head against my 240mm Misono Swede for EVERYTHING! So far I haven't touched a knife that I like more than it, so it should be a good heavyweight match-up!
I'll let you know my initial impressions upon receiving it, though.

Pierre, do you want this to be an open thread with updated opinions and critiques? My only concern would be swaying the opinions of others before they get a chance to see what they really think about it.
However, open discussion will make this more interactive, and keep it more along the lines that we are all used to.

mattrud
04-25-2011, 02:10 PM
That's the pass around knife?!?!?!?!?!?! your crazy pierre! and I love you for it!

PierreRodrigue
04-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks Mattrud! I... hmmmm... like.... it that you.... love me??? :D :D And yes. Crazier than a sh!t house rat I beleive!!

Now in all seriousness. Lefty, yes please, an open comment/discussion/critique is good. As I said, this is a newer steel in the kitchen, I took the HT to a point that should be the right ballance between hardness and toughness (says he wipeing the sweat from his brow) I would like to know if this is a steel worth persueing, how it is on stones ( as of yet I don't use stones ) Geometry, profile, handle everything basicly.

mattrud
04-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks Mattrud! I... hmmmm... like.... it that you.... love me??? :D :D And yes. Crazier than a sh!t house rat I beleive!!

Now in all seriousness. Lefty, yes please, an open comment/discussion/critique is good. As I said, this is a newer steel in the kitchen, I took the HT to a point that should be the right ballance between hardness and toughness (says he wipeing the sweat from his brow) I would like to know if this is a steel worth persueing, how it is on stones ( as of yet I don't use stones ) Geometry, profile, handle everything basicly.

hahaha, this is very exciting I will say. I like it that you are trying something completely new for you on kitchen knives. Can not wait to play around with it.

RobinW
04-25-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm so glad i'm no 7 on this list!
Pierre, now get back to working on my knife!

Jim
04-25-2011, 07:14 PM
If by any chance I get the knive near the date for the ECG I would bring it along to show around.

Pensacola Tiger
04-25-2011, 09:16 PM
If by any chance I get the knive near the date for the ECG I would bring it along to show around.

It might be worthwhile to juggle your position in the list to make that happen. I'd guess Pierre would like for everyone there to have an opportunity to see this knife.

Just my two cents.

Lefty
04-25-2011, 09:20 PM
We can figure something out...
I can't find the date for the ECG for some reason. We'll run with it and make sure it makes an appearance.
Jim, we'll get it to you for that date, if everyone else is good with that!
So, when is the gathering?

kalaeb
04-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Ohh man, I don't know if I can wait. I may have to order one now. That is some serious attention to detail, simply beautiful handle work.

Lefty
04-25-2011, 10:18 PM
If it helps, I can send it on to echerub immediately and go last. Not a big deal...I guess! Haha
Seriously though, I will if it helps get it to the ECG.

WildBoar
04-26-2011, 08:46 AM
If it lands at my house near the ECG I can bring it. And it would be traveling with three of it's siblings :cool2:

echerub
04-26-2011, 09:36 AM
Lefty, please feel free to swap the passaround order as needed to get the knife to the ECG. I'm not hung up on being near the front of the line - I'll be happy to test it out and put in my thoughts at *any* time ;)

mattrud
04-26-2011, 12:11 PM
doubt it will be to me by then but if so, I can bring it to ecg as well

oivind_dahle
04-27-2011, 08:57 AM
Who got it now?

Lefty
04-27-2011, 09:20 AM
I think some lucky postman has it right now.
He'd better write a review! :p

PierreRodrigue
04-28-2011, 08:15 PM
Sounds like Lefty will juggle the list, to have the knife make the ECG! Not sure who gets to bring it.

Lefty
04-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Got it all figured out (if we are all quick to the post office and they cooperate).
#2 is now # 7, # 6 is #5, old number 5 is #3...
JUST KIDDING!
Echerub kindly agreed to go last (buy the man a drink!), and edipis and mattrud are swapping spots (thanks edipis).
Matt, you get the honor of showing this beauty off! Have fun with it!
Hope we are all sorted out and thanks again guys!

mattrud
04-29-2011, 01:37 AM
Don't worry guys I have my suitcase of knives ready for ECG, and this baby will have a nice home in there for the trip.

oivind_dahle
04-29-2011, 08:52 AM
What is ECG?

Pensacola Tiger
04-29-2011, 09:42 AM
What is ECG?

East Coast Gathering.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?346-That-time-of-the-year.-ECG-Anyone&daysprune=-1

Lefty
04-29-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm glad you cleared that up. I couldn't figure out why everyone wanted a knife brought to an Echo-Cardio Gram, but I was going to make sure it happened, since it seemed so important!
:D

oivind_dahle
04-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Aha.

Will there be a best knife of the year competition there? If Marko is going he can bring 6 of my knives :)

Lefty
05-03-2011, 11:36 PM
I got the package I've been waiting for!
The gyuto arrived in a Japanese cloth bag (and packaging of course).
I'm going to give you all a quick run down of my first impressions.
The first thing I noticed when I grabbed the knife was that it feels incredibly well made. For me, it was reminiscent of the first time I held my Dad's Henckels chef knife, when before then I had only used an old beater knife, back when I was a kid. It just feels...right. The words that come to mind are solid, well constructed and to be honest even prettier in person.
The edge was hair popping sharp and has a very nice contour to it. At first glance, I thought it looked rounder than I like, but when I used it (for about 20 minutes), I realized that it is, in fact comfortable and versatile. I realized that it feels great push cutting, but for some reason, I wanted to rock chop a bit (and I liked it...) The edge profile allows you to do both very effectively.
So far, I don't want to say too much, but I will say that pictures say a thousand words, and it must take a million to describe this work.
I'll really give it a whirl in the next few days. :) I can't wait!

Lefty
05-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Oh, just to rub it in...
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/Lefty-T/30532984.jpg
http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/Lefty-T/9bc7830a.jpg
Looks good, doesn't it???

Eamon Burke
05-03-2011, 11:52 PM
Whoa. That damascus is like looking at a beach!

JohnnyChance
05-03-2011, 11:59 PM
One of the most unique and best looking patterns I have seen on a blade in some time. Very nice.

oivind_dahle
05-04-2011, 05:51 AM
Cant wait for more feedbacks on this one :)

Lefty
05-04-2011, 06:21 AM
Ok, I took another quick peek at the gyuto after waking up and I've decided I'm canceling the rest of the pass around. I'm keeping it, and you can't stop me! Haha. JK... But it is incredible to hold and look at.
Maybe it's something to do with being fully handmade by an amazing maker, but it just feels different than every other knife I've used. The lines feel smoother and softer, while the knife as a whole feels thin, yet like it could plow through a 2"x4" followed immediately by making paperthin slices of mushrooms, garlic, etc.
I really can't wait until I get to prep a real meal with this beauty!

oivind_dahle
05-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Nice

Is there anyone on the passaround list that got a Heiji 240 Guyto?
I really want to compare this to the Heiji.

Darkhoek
05-04-2011, 10:57 AM
It looks like an amazing knife. Whish I could experience it myself :) Keep us updated on the testing.

DarkHOeK

mattrud
05-04-2011, 12:12 PM
I have a 240 shig but not heiji

oivind_dahle
05-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Nice, then I look forward to your review!!
I believe Pierre is onto something with this profile/geometry

Lefty
05-07-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm all done with the knife (unfortunately)! I'll be passing it on to Caddy next (sending it out on Monday morning).
Dmccurtis also got to give it a little work out today, so he might post some thoughts (although ours were very similar).
Overall, this was a great experience and once again, I'd like to thank Pierre for getting it together and in a record time!
I'll be posting my detailed review tonight likely around 10-11pm (I should have time at work to do it :) ).

Lefty
05-07-2011, 10:37 PM
My Damasteel Gyuto Review

I'm breaking this review into a few different groups in an attempt to keep my jumbled thoughts somewhat organized! :)

Initial package:
The knife came in very nice little red cloth bag with an edge protector on it. There was also a nice little touch - a certificate with steel type, model, production number, care, etc. I really found this to be a pleasant surprise that I would definitely keep if it were my knife.
Overall, great presentation and it was a lot fun to open and added to the suspense!
4/5

Factory Edge:
The factory edge on the knife was truly as good as it gets!*
It was done on a 30000 grit paper wheel and would be equivalent to (I'm guessing by bite, polish, etc) a 6k-8k stone. The edge actually was done VERY nicely with a bit of convexity to it. Hands down, the best factory edge I've seen. *
5/5

Fit and Finish:
This is where Pierre's knives really shine! The F and F is almost perfect, with only the smallest "flaw" in one or two spots. The handle meets up with the spine absolutely flawlessly! It's seamless, smooth and incredibly well done.
Both the choil and spine are nicely rounded and I have no complaints. Very comfortable and attractive (how can a choil be attractive???)
The only spot that I noticed anything to note would be where the spacer and bolster meet up. On one side, the spacer is slightly smaller than the one on the opposite. I will admit, this adds to the uniqueness and overall feel of the knife, but if you're a perfectionist and you hate anything slightly out of whack, this will be it.*
Other than that, f and f is beautiful!
4.5/5

Handle:
What can I say? It was done by a person, not a robot. It is perhaps my favorite part of the whole knife (and that's saying a lot!)
This part might sound a bit strange to most, but the handle feels warm in the hand and a little bit organic. It's almost as if the knife and handle were grown together in a magical land far, far away! :D The edges are soft and smooth. It is very close to being perfectly symmetrical, with a bit of 'personality'.
There are a few spots where Pierre fixed nature's mistakes, and did a nice job of it. Any holes were filled, and made to feel like they were never there.
The handle has three very attractive mosaic pins, with a great colour match to the rest of the knife.
The bolster has a beautiful look to it, but might be a bit too squared off for some. Depending on grip style, you might notice the bolster up against your palm, but I had no real complaints.
Overall, the handle is my favorite so far.*
4.5/5

Blade (Profile and Grind):
The blade is a cross between a western and a j-knife, in my opinion. It's much closer to a j-knife, with a nice amount of flatness to belly.*
The tip is about halfway between the spine and bottom of the cutting edge and both flow nicely into it. The location of the tip makes it slightly less useable for fine detail work, as a result of the height. However, the tip becomes a non issue once you "get used to it". For people who like a little bit more height at the tip it is great and instills a sense of durability. If you prefer a more pointed tip, just tell Pierre when you order ;)*
The heel at the cutting edge rises slightly (a millimeter) towards the spine and lends itself VERY nicely to my preferred "French Style" of cutting. The blade profile makes your hands feel fast and the knife is an eager cutter! For pure push cutters, the somewhat raised heel can very easily be flattened out, but it's not an absolute necessity.
The grind on the knife appears to be above average, but I didn't take my calipers to it...I know, I dropped the ball on this one! The spine appears to be about 2.3ish millimeters at the heel, with a nice distal taper as well as grind to the edge.*
I'm sure some would thin it out a touch behind the edge, but for me, I'd leave as is. I plowed through sweet potatoes, Yukon Golds and a ton of other product with no real issues. For the sweet potatoes, I used a bit of a guillotine action (think heel of deba on a fish spine) and cut through almost perfectly, with only minor 'breaking' at the bottom of the slice.
The only produce I noticed any sticking with was fresh button mushrooms...portabellos were fine, but the white buttons stuck to the side, until the next slice pushed it off. It was strange and I can't figure out why, but I have a feeling that once the side of the blade has been broken in a bit and smoothed out through use and washing that this mysterious phenomenon will disappear - though I could be wrong.
I'm giving the blade a 4/5 because I prefer a pointier tip and some could complain about the edge profile. Even with these slight issues, I am very impressed and part of the beauty of custom knives is that you get to specify your needs and wants, and these become non-issues. For a "generic" shape, it is great, useable and performs beautifully.*

Edge Retention:
And here is the one we all wondered about. How will DAMASTEEL hold up in a kitchen???
I'm sending the knife on to Caddy with absolutely no touch ups from the minute I got it. It cut a lot of product (produce, fungi, protein, arm hair, paper...) and it is still super sharp. I would love for Caddy to comment on its state once he gets a look at it, just to back up my claim of how the edge held. The edge retained its sharpness at least as well as the vg10 (likely better) I have used, and better than my Misono Carbon. I think this steel is great for a home user, and I can't wait to read what the pros have to say in regards to a commercial kitchen.
4.5/5 (for home use)

Overall Feel:
The gyuto has some heft compared to many j-knives, but is not heavy in any sense. It gives a sense of quality and durability.*
I was trying to think of a knife that I could compare it to as far as weight and balance are concerned, and the closest I can come up with might have to be a Mac Mighty Chef Knife.*
You definitely feel the gyuto in your hand, but the balance is directly in front of the bolster (perfect in my opinion) which makes it feel much more nimble than most knives in its weight class.*
I have the feeling this knife would be a fantastic workhorse. It can trim meat, mince and dice garlic/ginger like an absolute champ and slice literally paper thin slices. In my opinion, it would be an awesome line knife! It can put up with the pounding and do the fancy footwork needed for mise.*
Overall, I'm giving it a SOLID 4.5/5!

I'm sad to see it go, but I am truly looking forward to reading everyone else's reviews.*
I was picking on everything I could, and I had only the few minor 'negatives' to mention.
Beautiful knife. I love the pattern. The handle is terrific!
To the rest of the guys in this pass around - Please take care of my gyuto. I'll miss it! But, as they say, *"absence makes the heart grow fonder"! :D

dmccurtis
05-07-2011, 11:39 PM
I got a chance to handle and briefly use this knife today (thanks Lefty!). The only produce I had on hand to test it with was an apple and a garlic clove, so I was by no means comprehensive in my testing, but it was an interesting look. My thoughts echo Lefty's to a great extent. First off, fit and finish was superb, absolutely no complaints there. Any imperfections were simply the nature of a handmade product, and in no way affect the function of the knife. The finish of the handle was the first thing that impressed me, very nicely fitted and polished. While I didn't love the feel of it in the hand, I also didn't notice it in use, if holding it in a pinch grip. I'm a wa handle user though, so my opinion is coloured by my preference. Regarding the blade, the edge as delivered is one of the best I've seen. I'd agree that it is somewhere equivalent to 6000. The polish looked higher, 8K SS-esque, while the edge had bite like a 3K or so. It cut smoothly, but you could feel the knife in the cut. Again, I didn't exactly have ideal product to test it on, so it will be interesting to hear how it performs on other foods. It will also be interesting to hear how it responds to various stones. Profile wise, I like the long flat spot, though I'd like to see the slight rise at the heel flattened. I found the tip too tall, and too radiused. It has no flat at the tip, which I like to have for detail work. The knife is not too tall at the heel, but doesn't narrow much towards the tip, making the knife feel taller than it is. Lefty described the profile aptly as 'snubnosed.' Again, a preference issue. Those who like Watanabes or Shigefusas will probably find it ideal. While I'd like the knife to be thinner behind the edge, the knife has heft to it, giving it good momentum through the cut. Mighty fans will like it. Overall, I thought the knife was exemplary for a maker relatively new to kitchen knives. Craftsmanship is superb, and it seems like the Damasteel is a very decent performer. I'll be very interested to hear what others who use it have to say.

kalaeb
05-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Nice reviews guys, thanks. I am really interested to see how it holds up through a working shift.

oivind_dahle
05-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Nice review :)

Look forward to others as well :)

Lefty
05-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Oivind, I have a feeling this profile will suit your tastes very nicely! I know you prefer a taller tip with a gently sloping edge.
I think you'd be pleased! :)

oivind_dahle
05-08-2011, 11:36 AM
I know I will be pleased :)

But with every design it can be made even better ;)
Whats wrong with your camera?

PierreRodrigue
05-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the review guys! I was sweating, waiting on the review for this one. I have yet had reviews of a knife done by someone who didn't order it. To look at it, and take it for what it is, how it looks, and how it performs. As lefty mentioned, there are a couple issues with design, that are just that, design, these issues can easily be taylored to an individuals likes, and as such, will not be what everybody wants to have in their knife.

I look forward to hearing more from those users who wll give it a little heavier work out, some in a pro setting. You fine folks will give a knife more use in a day, then I could put it through in 6 months, or even a year. To give the steel a good run, see how it responds to the stones, and how the edge holds compared to more traditional steel chioces. I would like some suggestions I what needs to be changed, or improved, the bolster for example, suggestions on how it could be modified to be less noticeable to the user. Essentially, advice to help me design or modify future knives to a higher standard.

Again, thanks for the reviews.

Pierre

dmccurtis
05-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Regarding the bolsters, I think comfort could be improved simply by sweeping back the bolster face, rather than the squared edges the bolsters have now. In effect, to ease the transition from bolster to blade. Wa handles have this squared bolster-to-blade junction as well, but I think they avoid it being a comfort problem for two reasons. For one, wa handles are typically longer and uncontoured, encouraging a grip further back on the handle. Also, wa handled knives are usually lighter and much more blade-heavy, thus encouraging a lighter grip. On a western-style knife, with more weight in the handle, I find myself gripping tighter. Again, it could be a preference issue.

oivind_dahle
05-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Time for a new review!!! :)

PierreRodrigue
05-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Regarding the bolsters, I think comfort could be improved simply by sweeping back the bolster face, rather than the squared edges the bolsters have now. In effect, to ease the transition from bolster to blade. Wa handles have this squared bolster-to-blade junction as well, but I think they avoid it being a comfort problem for two reasons. For one, wa handles are typically longer and uncontoured, encouraging a grip further back on the handle. Also, wa handled knives are usually lighter and much more blade-heavy, thus encouraging a lighter grip. On a western-style knife, with more weight in the handle, I find myself gripping tighter. Again, it could be a preference issue.

I have already been playing with this very design option. It is going to be offered as an option on future knives. Thanks for your review, it is valuable information.

dmccurtis
05-15-2011, 11:16 PM
You're welcome, Pierre. I enjoyed trying out the knife, it seems like a winner.

oivind_dahle
05-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Did this knife got lost in the mail?

kalaeb
05-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Did this knife got lost in the mail?

Ya, whose got it or is it waiting for the ecg?

Lefty
05-20-2011, 03:54 PM
It's in transit. Sorry guys, I guess I should have let you all know.
Jim will be taking it to ECG now. Go figure! Haha
Thanks again Jim!

mattrud
05-21-2011, 03:58 AM
OK this is all my fault so sorry. Just received the knife today (it has been a crazy week). I will post thoughts later. Played around with it a bit today, going to take it home and touch up the edge tomorrow. bring it back to work for more play time. I was going to be the one to take it to ECG but due to work I can not attend. Jim lives near me so I will be passing it off to him and he will take it to ECG.

Lefty
05-21-2011, 07:22 AM
Not your fault at all, Matt! You and Jim both went above and beyond to make sure it will make an appearance. Make sure you get the knife for a few more days, once Jim is done with it, so you can get a good look!
Thanks for doing this guys!

oivind_dahle
05-24-2011, 03:41 PM
mattrud - waz ap?

mattrud
05-25-2011, 03:40 AM
Hey, sorry

Jim is getting the knife tomorrow. I am swamped at work and will not have time to write anything up for a bit. But first chance I get I will

oivind_dahle
05-28-2011, 06:02 AM
Nice matt. Hoping to see the review.

Jim- Anything you would like to share?

Jim
05-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Nice matt. Hoping to see the review.

Jim- Anything you would like to share?

I have, in total cut up one onion up with this knife. When I get back from the ECG I will us it some more. I have some strong opinions already and want to confirm them.

WildBoar
05-28-2011, 11:03 PM
I got a preview of the knife at the ECG today. Visual only, though. The damasteel really looks cool. It will be fun playing with knife for a week when my time comes.

It's quite a bit different then the knives Pierre made for me last year.

Lefty
05-28-2011, 11:47 PM
10 days, not a week ;)

PierreRodrigue
05-29-2011, 12:20 AM
I have, in total cut up one onion up with this knife. When I get back from the ECG I will us it some more. I have some strong opinions already and want to confirm them.
Ok, Jim, your making me nervous :bat:

oivind_dahle
06-02-2011, 10:55 AM
This thread is dangerously silent?

mattrud
06-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Sorry guys. My work schedule is overloaded. The only time I get on the forum is when I take two minutes to clear my head during work. I will get a review up next day off I have.

Jim
06-02-2011, 02:32 PM
I am working on a review and making friends with the knife- better to do a good job than a fast one in my book.

Lefty
06-02-2011, 07:08 PM
I agree!
I'm very interested in it!

oivind_dahle
06-03-2011, 12:59 PM
If I dont see a review soon, I have to send my bear to visit!

http://d3uwin5q170wpc.cloudfront.net/photo/132884_700b.jpg

PierreRodrigue
06-03-2011, 07:14 PM
:D

JohnnyChance
06-03-2011, 08:38 PM
If I dont see a review soon, I have to send my bear to visit!

Was it you who sent this guy to my house a couple days ago?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hPkKWszlLbQ/Tel_Hqo-GqI/AAAAAAAAApg/L3g9lsMiccQ/s640/IMG_0534.JPG

Jim
06-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Any bears come by here they might meet Mr.375 H&H.

JohnnyChance
06-04-2011, 12:10 AM
H&H? Like the bagel?

PierreRodrigue
06-04-2011, 12:45 AM
A bow is much quieter, and doesn't upset the neighbours. Took a nice 7 footer with one.

Jim
06-04-2011, 09:12 AM
H&H? Like the bagel?

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/660/660833.jpg

A bow is much quieter, and doesn't upset the neighbours. Took a nice 7 footer with one.

Quite right.

rockbox
06-04-2011, 09:15 AM

But if you miss, you better have a nice big pistol around and your running shoes on.

SpikeC
06-04-2011, 12:21 PM
That's what makes it sport, sport!

Pensacola Tiger
06-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Just go hunting with someone who can't run faster than you can.

JohnnyChance
06-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Well for Jim in NYC, a bow and arrow would raise more eyebrows than the sound of gunfire. But hopefully there are no bears wandering around Manhattan.

Jim
06-04-2011, 03:05 PM
Well for Jim in NYC, a bow and arrow would raise more eyebrows than the sound of gunfire. But hopefully there are no bears wandering around Manhattan.

A couple of years ago a Tiger got loose from a circus....:scared1:

oivind_dahle
06-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Damasteel:

http://d3uwin5q170wpc.cloudfront.net/photo/52073_700b.jpg

Pensacola Tiger
06-04-2011, 05:45 PM
Man, that blade is sharp!

http://amazingdata.com/mediadata43/Image/funny_weird_cool_offbeat_finger-food_20090729125530318.jpg

Pensacola Tiger
06-04-2011, 05:46 PM
A couple of years ago a Tiger got loose from a circus....:scared1:

And I'm still on the prowl...

EdipisReks
06-12-2011, 06:25 PM
i have cut up veggies for a couple meals, so far. it's a nice knife. my initial reaction upon looking at it was that it was a bit thick behind the edge, but i've found that the knife blade is thin enough that it cuts just fine. i'm comparing it to my Hattori FH, mostly. not much more to say until i've spent a few more meals with it.

oivind_dahle
06-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Was ap here?

I would like to see more reviews on this one!

EdipisReks
06-19-2011, 01:13 PM
i've been busy and haven't had a chance to write anything up. the knife goes out to the next person on the list tomorrow, and i'll try to get a review up in the next couple days.

Pensacola Tiger
08-17-2011, 08:45 PM
The knife will be on its way to johndoughy in the morning.

Comments will presently be sent to Pierre and an opinion posted to the forum.

PierreRodrigue
04-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Gentlemen (and ladys if any :) ) The pass around has ended with the safe return of the damasteel gyuto to its birthplace!

I would like to thank everybody who provided reviews, public and private. After a year, it has returned in excellent condition. Thank you all for taking good care of it!

I would now like to offer this knife for sale as a used knife. I will touch up the handle and polish the bolster. There are a few fine scratches on the blade, very minor. I could refinish the blade if requested.

Price new would be $950, sale price $700.

First I'll take it or PM rules! Any extra work will be entertained, but might cost you extra.

Lefty
04-10-2012, 10:22 PM
And it's all done.
I hope it was as beneficial for you as we had initially dreamed it would be.
Thanks everyone for taking part and thanks Pierre for letting us all use a great knife!

PierreRodrigue
04-10-2012, 10:34 PM
If you are willing to take it as is, make me an offer :) not saying I'll accept, but then again... try me.

PierreRodrigue
04-30-2012, 09:17 AM
This one is sold. Thanks to those interested.

Pensacola Tiger
04-30-2012, 09:20 AM
This one is sold. Thanks to those interested.

The "Gray Ghost" found a new home.

Congratulations to the new owner!

Eamon Burke
04-30-2012, 09:26 AM
I feel like a girl I dated on a vacation just got married.

Lefty
04-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Congrats, Pierre and the new owner. I was just about to write you to ask how it was doing, and whether or not it had a new home.

Eamon, I completely agree....

RobinW
04-30-2012, 02:47 PM
I feel like a girl I dated on a vacation just got married.

+1
Why does not old dates stay single? Just in case....:O (my wife does not read any knifeforums....)

Lefty
04-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Hahahahahaha.
Annnd.
Hahahahahaha