PDA

View Full Version : New Usuba Arrives

Seth
04-14-2011, 02:51 PM
This is one big knife; 225mm. This is a Nenohi high kasumi with ebony handle. It has a very slight belly to it which surprised me in comparison with my Suisin ginko 210 which is dead flat.

Seth

http://www.3re.org/img_5043.jpg

heldentenor
04-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Beautiful knife, Seth. Did you get it from Korin or through a different route? Have you had a chance to use it much, and if so, how does it feel/cut?

aaronsgibson
04-14-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm a fan of my usuba but compared to this it is a last place knife. Very nice looking let us know how it cuts and takes an edge.

Seth
04-14-2011, 09:36 PM
This one came through Korin. They told me this was the only size currently in stock at Nenohi so I asked them to put on an ebony handle and send it along. Interestingly there was some delay; apparently much of the stuff coming out of Japan needs to be checked for radiation.

OOTB it is sharp but in a few days (I only have 24 hours into this so far) I will give the tiny micro bevel a bit of polish to thicken the edge just a bit. It passes tomato tests - and another thing I look at is the horizontal cuts on shallots - slides right through half dozen times to allow a super fine dice. I like the size and weight (156 grams) which lets the knife do the work with a nice relaxed hand. That large bevel on a knife this size creates a really acute edge which is the whole purpose of a Usuba but might be a bit fragile, hence my initial inclination to widen the micro bevel.

I will post more impressions and better pictures after some time living the knife.
Seth

WildBoar
04-15-2011, 02:14 PM
I have not worked with a usuba before, but wow, that seems very light for such a long bladed knife! Looks badass!