PDA

View Full Version : How many Straight Razor users do we have here?

Pages : [1] 2

Mr.Magnus
08-21-2012, 12:25 PM
I just shaved with a straight razor and damn i fell in looooove. never going back to the gillette :P i already have 3 and looking for another one, a MK33, if any of you guys have one let me know :)
how many of you guys owns and use a straight razor?

My C.V Heljestrand MK30 (next to a friends MK31)
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/bild8.jpg
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/bild-1.jpg

My C.V Heljestrand MK32
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/bild7.jpg

My hereditary from grandpas dad C.V Heljestrand J.A Hellberg sweden 42 (On Rescale to wood)
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-08-19210135.jpg

unkajonet
08-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Just started a few weeks ago. It's awesome.

Pensacola Tiger
08-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the club. Beware of HAD (Hone Acquisition Disorder).

Rick

Birnando
08-21-2012, 01:19 PM
I have been shaving with straights for the last few years now.
Including my head:)

I can totally understand your desire to own a MK33, it is among my favorite shavers.
My specimen was found at a auction site near you, all NOS with Ivory scales.
It wasn't more than about 30 bucks either;)
(the owner thought it was plastic scales on it)

Mr.Magnus
08-21-2012, 01:19 PM

Rick

i have no idea what that is haha

Mr.Magnus
08-21-2012, 01:22 PM
its hard to find the NOS MK's and when you do most ppl know about it and the bidwar begins :P

unkajonet
08-21-2012, 01:25 PM

Rick

Too late. Way too late.

Pensacola Tiger
08-21-2012, 01:26 PM
i have no idea what that is haha

You may find yourself acquiring a large collection of hones (stones) for use with your straights. Japanese naturals, Eschers, Thuringians, a 30k Shapton Pro, coticules, Swaty barber hones - and more. It can get out of hand, and when it does, you have caught HAD.

unkajonet
08-21-2012, 01:27 PM
You may find yourself acquiring a large collection of hones (stones) for use with your straights. Japanese naturals, Eschers, Thuringians, a 30k Shapton Pro, coticules, Swaty barber hones - and more. It can get out of hand, and when it does, you have caught HAD.

You forgot to also mention SRAD

Mr.Magnus
08-21-2012, 01:28 PM

haha alright now i get it :D thanks.

markenki
08-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Been thinking about trying straight razors out. Are they really that much better than the cheap Gillette I use? I'd be worried about slicing parts of my face off with a straight razor!

Mr.Magnus
08-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Been thinking about trying straight razors out. Are they really that much better than the cheap Gillette I use? I'd be worried about slicing parts of my face off with a straight razor!

you cant get a better shave its a hole other level of shaving and you will feel strange the first time cuz your not use to beeing this smooth as u get :P

markenki
08-21-2012, 01:40 PM
you cant get a better shave its a hole other level of shaving and you will feel strange the first time cuz your not use to beeing this smooth as u get :P
Thanks. I did not want to hear that. This spells trouble.

clayton
08-21-2012, 02:02 PM
For me shaving with a straight vs. a DE transformed shaving from being a chore to something I actually look forward to, even though it does take a me a little longer. Not like the result is THAT much better but I really enjoy the process and the attention/focus it commands. It is also one of the few ways to be completely bad-ass in your bathroom.

If you just want to give it a try go to http://www.whippeddog.com/ and get his sight unseen starter kit. It will get you started for $55 (you might want to get a brush too) and you will get a perfect sense of what it is all about.

tkern
08-21-2012, 05:07 PM
I just started two weeks ago and I'm sold. I think after using a knife for so long, using a straight to shave just feels natural.

The whipped dog deal is great.

markenki
08-21-2012, 05:26 PM
That's it. I'm screwed.

Lefty
08-21-2012, 06:07 PM
I dabble, but I'm a minimalist, when it comes to straights.

JMJones
08-21-2012, 06:12 PM
I have been using a staight for a little over a year.

WillC
08-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Same here, Only use a straight now, but i don't have to be clean shaven everyday to work in my shop. Like to take my time, save up the face fungus, nice sharp smooth shaving razor....Male pampering at its best:D

Dave Martell
08-21-2012, 07:18 PM
I'm in the club, I also use DE's too.

mainaman
08-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Here my biggest acquisitions
Iwasaki Swedish and Tamahagane western both NOS

http://i46.tinypic.com/1zzszv4.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/21lpstz.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/sy2e6h.jpg

mainaman
08-21-2012, 08:10 PM

Rick
and RAD (razor acquisition disorder)

Eamon Burke
08-21-2012, 10:49 PM
Here here. Currently using a Wostenholm Peerless. I've got fine hair, so shaving is not as much of a challenge for me.

The Edge
08-21-2012, 10:52 PM
I just started a couple months ago, love it.

DwarvenChef
08-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Many years now, I cannot even think of going back to a cartrige. I got hooked soon after I discovered Japanese knives and have not shaved with anything else sence than. Something about the whole rutine that really captivates me, I love all the aspects of straight razor shaving. Many here and on other forums got hooked about the same time and we all had a great time bouncing back and forth about kitchen knives and straight razors. It's really cool that it's still rippling around this pond :)

I'm more hooked on vintage razors and only have one brand new razor, the SRP limited edition TI, most of my everyday shavers are 1850's ish and a couple late 1700's/very early 1800's. Just like my kitchen knives, if it doesn't show some wear/battle scars I'll not be interested in it. And carbon RULES!!! :p For a while I was doing videos of all my razors in use... I need to get the camera out and do more advanced videos someday lol.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/DwarvenChef/TorreyBicycleRace.jpg

Next one to rebuild :)

Mr.Magnus
08-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Here my biggest acquisitions
Iwasaki Swedish and Tamahagane western both NOS

http://i46.tinypic.com/1zzszv4.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/21lpstz.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/sy2e6h.jpg

damn nice razors! where did you find that Tamahagane western and how much did you pay for it :D

mainaman
08-22-2012, 10:46 AM
damn nice razors! where did you find that Tamahagane western and how much did you pay for it :D
Got them from Japan, I got real lucky and payed much less than what they usually go for, I have seen other NOS ones go for $1700 "buy it now" @ auctions.
Those are super rare, people collect them and very very rarely one will find a western Iwasaki tamahagane for sale. By the way Shigefusa was a student under Iwasaki and took part in making some of those razors.

Wagstaff
08-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Just pulled the trigger on the Whipped Dog deal. I have much to learn. And am more worried about HAD than RAD at the moment -- though I don't know (yet) how to hone razors. This weekend I'll go at my first shave with a straight.

Mr.Magnus
08-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Got them from Japan, I got real lucky and payed much less than what they usually go for, I have seen other NOS ones go for $1700 "buy it now" @ auctions.
Those are super rare, people collect them and very very rarely one will find a western Iwasaki tamahagane for sale. By the way Shigefusa was a student under Iwasaki and took part in making some of those razors.

congratz on the good deal. yeah i think aframestokyo had one for sale at 1080$

Mr.Magnus
08-22-2012, 11:33 AM
Just pulled the trigger on the Whipped Dog deal. I have much to learn. And am more worried about HAD than RAD at the moment -- though I don't know (yet) how to hone razors. This weekend I'll go at my first shave with a straight.

i think u will ask yourself why you didnt start doing it earlier, let us hear about it when u had it :)

Pensacola Tiger
08-22-2012, 11:39 AM

While you're waiting for it to arrive, check out these articles:

http://www.shavemyface.com/downloads/The-Straight-Razor-Shave.pdf

http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/First_straight_razor_shave

Good luck and don't get discouraged. Styptic pencils are your friend.

Rick

mainaman
08-22-2012, 12:21 PM
congratz on the good deal. yeah i think aframestokyo had one for sale at 1080$
He had may be 5 or 6 all in different condition of used, but none NOS.

Mr.Magnus
08-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Many years now, I cannot even think of going back to a cartrige. I got hooked soon after I discovered Japanese knives and have not shaved with anything else sence than. Something about the whole rutine that really captivates me, I love all the aspects of straight razor shaving. Many here and on other forums got hooked about the same time and we all had a great time bouncing back and forth about kitchen knives and straight razors. It's really cool that it's still rippling around this pond :)

I'm more hooked on vintage razors and only have one brand new razor, the SRP limited edition TI, most of my everyday shavers are 1850's ish and a couple late 1700's/very early 1800's. Just like my kitchen knives, if it doesn't show some wear/battle scars I'll not be interested in it. And carbon RULES!!! :p For a while I was doing videos of all my razors in use... I need to get the camera out and do more advanced videos someday lol.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/DwarvenChef/TorreyBicycleRace.jpg

Next one to rebuild :)

a guy a know is selling a pretty cool one. maybe something for you? :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/pre-1800-antique-vintage-straight-razor-shepherd-in-good-condition-horn-scale-/130751297112?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e71627658#ht_500wt_1207

Amon-Rukh
08-22-2012, 02:11 PM
I've been shaving with a straight for just over a year now and love it. Being forced to use a disposable razor again while on vacation about a month ago (the one downside is that you can't take a straight on a plane as part of your carry-on) was a horrible experience that completely reminded me of why I used to hate shaving!

Wagstaff
08-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the pointers, Rick. Larry at Whipped Dog also sent a pdf manual, largely overlapping with the Chris Moss one you linked. I'll be re-reading all of what you sent, what Emanuel sent me, and Larry's piece before I get to lathering. Now I need some instructions on honing. Or not now, but soon. If I get through a couple straight shaves with face intact!

Thanks Mr. Magnus too. I'll be sure to let you know. Or pester for advice. Whichever comes first.

DwarvenChef
08-22-2012, 06:05 PM
a guy a know is selling a pretty cool one. maybe something for you? :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/pre-1800-antique-vintage-straight-razor-shepherd-in-good-condition-horn-scale-/130751297112?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e71627658#ht_500wt_1207

That is a nice looking razor but it is not pre 1800, that kind of shoulder didn't show uptill after 1810. Pre 1800 razors have not shown any shoulder. Not to say they where not around, someone may have started playing with the idea. However in razor history any hint of a better design was pounced apon and almost over night all razors looked the "new" way. Personally I would look up the maker and check other makes they did from known timelines and if the price was right I'd bid.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/DwarvenChef/GoodBlades9.jpg
This blade is assumed (no name to varify) to be a blade made in the last decade of 1700. I have two blades from this time and they are both like this, just the hint of what is to become a shoulder that is knowen to becom a landmark change in early in the first decade of 1800. This photo was taken before I rebuilt it useing the same parts and it shaves very well :)

tk59
08-23-2012, 09:50 AM
memorael gave me my first razor (Ern Crown and Sword) a couple of years ago. Then I met with DC last May for a lesson in all things straight razor. I spend every day waiting for my beard to grow out a little so I can shave again. My best shave to date was from a Filarmonica I bought from Maksim a few months ago along with a finishing stone and some nagura. It took some getting used to but I'm getting pretty close to that first shave I got out of Maksim's sharpening job. Now, I'm buying old razors, tidying them up and using them. I won't comment on how many razors I have sitting around the house... :O

Mr.Magnus
08-23-2012, 12:05 PM
memorael gave me my first razor (Ern Crown and Sword) a couple of years ago. Then I met with DC last May for a lesson in all things straight razor. I spend every day waiting for my beard to grow out a little so I can shave again. My best shave to date was from a Filarmonica I bought from Maksim a few months ago along with a finishing stone and some nagura. It took some getting used to but I'm getting pretty close to that first shave I got out of Maksim's sharpening job. Now, I'm buying old razors, tidying them up and using them. I won't comment on how many razors I have sitting around the house... :O

anything fun u wanna sell ? :)

Wagstaff
08-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Wait... who gives all-things straight razor lessons? I could see the need! My own DE phase has been fraught with danger. Or at least irritation. But I've learned a bunch about prep. I'm hoping the sr experience is rewarding.

K-Fed
08-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Straight user here... I've got a cheap dovo full hollow and a vintage "spike" half hollow. Love the little spike razor. small and nimble.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/LetsKillKevy/184206_192485804105432_1503352_n.jpg

mpukas
08-23-2012, 02:13 PM
I've been using a SR for about 1-1/2 yrs now. I've always enjoyed shaving, and never had any problems using the main stream 5-blade Gillete cartridges. I had always wanted to try a SR since I started shaving, and when I discovered Japanese knives, I found videos of Murray Carter shaving with his camp knife and other knives, and so I bit the bullet.

I use a basic Dovo, and I have a NOS something or other my father sent me that was sitting in a cabinet drawer for 40 years, and another Sheffield wedge I bought used at SRP. I mainly use the DOVO as it gives much better shaves that the other two I have. I now really only use Ogalalla soap, as it's inexpensive, natural, and builds a great lather. Their aftershave is awesome!

My shaves have been really up and down. At one point I had a really, really fine edge on my Dovo and was getting great, smooth shaves. Lately something I've been doing has screwed things up, and i've been getting razor burn, nicks, cuts and random gashes. I only have 1k, 4k, & 8K GS's and strop on 1 micorn boron, .5 micro chro, and leather (same as I have for knives, but use different techniques). Sometimes I get a decent edge, sometimes I don't. It's been frustrating. I really want to get some higher grit stones and diamond sprays for strops.

Funny thing is, on my other two razors, I can't get them as sharp as the Dovo using the same techniques, and the shaves aren't as smooth, but I don't get any razor burn, nicks or cuts.

DwarvenChef
08-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Vintage and new steel sometimes want different handling on the stones, and pasted strops can help or hinder. Lots going on that may cause issues here. I'm heading to work but will throw out some ideas to try when I get home.

mainaman
08-23-2012, 05:52 PM
My shaves have been really up and down. At one point I had a really, really fine edge on my Dovo and was getting great, smooth shaves. Lately something I've been doing has screwed things up, and i've been getting razor burn, nicks, cuts and random gashes. I only have 1k, 4k, & 8K GS's and strop on 1 micorn boron, .5 micro chro, and leather (same as I have for knives, but use different techniques). Sometimes I get a decent edge, sometimes I don't. It's been frustrating. I really want to get some higher grit stones and diamond sprays for strops.

Funny thing is, on my other two razors, I can't get them as sharp as the Dovo using the same techniques, and the shaves aren't as smooth, but I don't get any razor burn, nicks or cuts.If you have a loupe or scope or other way to get decent magnification, you should take a look at the bevels of your razors at each stage of the honing process. You will be able to better determine when to stop at each level, I think that will improve your consistency.

DwarvenChef
08-24-2012, 02:39 AM
As Mainaman pointed out the loupe is your friend. Unlike kitchen knives "close" doesn't cut it. One thing I think everyone who has been using a straight for a while will atest to is that not every razor style is for every user. Alot of personal preffrence gets mixed into the art of a straight razor experience. When your new to wet shaving it all pretty much feels the same, ether it's sharp or it's not. As you get used to the feel and start using a veriety of blade styles (yup those affected by RAD know this), you start noticing a prefference for the weight, grind, steel type, and more (not even going to touch on soaps yet :p ). All these things contribute to the experience, not to mention what happens on different types of stones. And this is where I fall into the two different schools of sharpness, angular cuts and rounded cuts.

Angular cuts are something you notice as an aggressive SHARPness, you get this from diamond sprays and synthetic stones for the most part. Rounded cuts are from Cro2 and many natural stones, and naturals gets into another big ball of sillyness (I fall into this area :p ) the shave is softer and smoother on the skin. Both get the job done and both are equilly good, personal prefference (and pocketbook) dictates what you settle with. But thats something you just have to try with many different razors on many different stones till you find YOUR magic bullet.

For me it's all about old sheffield steel on natural stones, Japanese prefered but european goodies such as the coticule also hold sway. My great grandfathers and grandfathers blades do very well on the coticule, both blades are also German based so there may be something there. For the first year I was using a straight razor I was hooked on US steel and using the Norton 4/8k stone. I got great shaves off an 8k stone and really if you do your part up to the 8k point, the shave is acceptable. Untill you get bitten by HAD (Hone Aquisition.. you get it :p )... So don't worry about getting higher end stones till you have mastered the 1k to 8k point, because if you don't have a shaveable edge off 1k, you will never reach it with higher grit stones.

Mr.Magnus
08-24-2012, 04:34 PM
i just got all the accesories for straight razor use. as in Preshave oil, shave cream,aftershave balm, brush,stand for brush,miller strop. and so on. cant say when i spent this much money so fast last time lol its like someone is laying a candytrail trap and im like "oh a piece of candy!, Oh a piece of candy, Oh a piece of candy, BAM 500$ haha. but i guess i have all i need now :)

mainaman
08-24-2012, 04:44 PM
i just got all the accesories for straight razor use. as in Preshave oil, shave cream,aftershave balm, brush,stand for brush,miller strop. and so on. cant say when i spent this much money so fast last time lol its like someone is laying a candytrail trap and im like "oh a piece of candy!, Oh a piece of candy, Oh a piece of candy, BAM 500$ haha. but i guess i have all i need now :)
right , that is what I thought when I got my first everything

DwarvenChef
08-25-2012, 02:29 AM
On the flip side, last year I spent about $20 to shave for one full year, just a couple pucks of soap :)

Johnny.B.Good
08-25-2012, 02:59 AM
...its like someone is laying a candytrail trap and im like "oh a piece of candy!, Oh a piece of candy, Oh a piece of candy, BAM 500$ haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR72bDp8H8M

Mr.Magnus
08-25-2012, 10:11 AM
haha thats what i was like. :D

tkern
08-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Straight user here... I've got a cheap dovo full hollow and a vintage "spike" half hollow. Love the little spike razor. small and nimble.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l267/LetsKillKevy/184206_192485804105432_1503352_n.jpg

I just picked a Spike up after seeing this posted. I was surprised how quick it took a great edge.

Mr.Magnus
08-29-2012, 01:35 PM
That spike is cool :) i just picked up a Edv Neiström nr62 for pocket money. just finish the polish, now i need to refinnish the egde since it has some pieces missing. also got my hands on a issard 69 :)

EDV
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-08-28184853.jpg
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-08-28185024.jpg

thiers issard
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/T2eC16RHJHwE9n8ihqOmBQNmhUfzYw60_58.jpg

Mk32 Mk30 Edv62 E.A.B
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-08-29190614.jpg
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-08-29191502.jpg
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-08-29190631.jpg

mainaman
08-29-2012, 01:47 PM
That spike is cool :) i just picked up a Edv Neiström nr62 for pocket money. just finish the polish, now i need to refinnish the egde since it has some pieces missing. also got my hands on a issard 69 :)

EDV
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-08-28184853.jpg
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-08-28185024.jpg

thiers issard
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/T2eC16RHJHwE9n8ihqOmBQNmhUfzYw60_58.jpg

Mk32 Mk30 Edv62 E.A.B
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-08-29190614.jpg
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-08-29191502.jpg
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-08-29190631.jpg
Cool razor you got there, they all great shavers.

Mr.Magnus
08-29-2012, 03:17 PM
Cool razor you got there, they all great shavers.

thanks yeah well im new to it. but i got RAD pretty fast lol. love to see your whole collection

PierreRodrigue
08-29-2012, 06:30 PM
I just started a couple months ago with straights. I have 4 now and am looking at grinding a few to test. I have a Revisor that a friend sent for me to try, I ended up buying it. then I acquired a Wapienza that has been refurbished, next I bought a Thiers Issard. My fourth has become my favorite, from the same friend actually! (Thanks Rick!) A refurbished Sheffield. It is a joy to shave with. I have a dense, coarse beard, and this thing slides through like no cartridge could! I bought a top end Braun electric once, and the damn thing stalled on my face! I had to disassemble the darn thing to get it to let go! So far, only one nick worth mentioning, she tip of the Sheffield "bit" me as I got a little over confident and rushed a bit! Lesson learned!

l r harner
08-30-2012, 12:19 AM
i dont think i ll ever go back now that i know how great a straight is to use (that and the fact that custom shave soap and brushes are crazy good )

Mr.Magnus
08-30-2012, 12:26 AM
she tip of the Sheffield "bit" me as I got a little over confident and rushed a bit! Lesson learned!

there is a good mineral calld alum that stops the bleeding by putting it on a cut :) pretty cool for a natural mineral.

http://shop.textalk.se/shop/17112/art12/h0207/7420207-origpic-e27a45.jpg

DwarvenChef
08-30-2012, 01:54 AM
i dont think i ll ever go back now that i know how great a straight is to use (that and the fact that custom shave soap and brushes are crazy good )

So true so true :)

DwarvenChef
08-30-2012, 02:00 AM
After aquiring so many really good vintage razors I think my next one should be a custom, just so hard to find that right mix of vintage looks with modern parts :p

Birnando
08-30-2012, 11:02 AM
After aquiring so many really good vintage razors I think my next one should be a custom, just so hard to find that right mix of vintage looks with modern parts :p

Yes, a good custom sure is a delight;)

Here's a majority of mine, perhaps there are one or two there to inspire:biggrin:

Mr.Magnus
08-30-2012, 11:25 AM
must say those look very modern but cool.

mainaman
08-31-2012, 02:45 PM
Recently I got Iwasaki Western Tamahagane, which is deferentially heat treated razor. Knowing that I decided I'll etch it with acid to make the Hamon stand up from the rest of the blade.

After a few soaks in hot vinegar and cleaning in between, and natural stone polish afterwards I got a pretty interesting hamon to show up.

http://i46.tinypic.com/59wjf6.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/68r52e.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/5yb4n6.jpg

Then the big surprise...
I was working on a FON Golden Star, from my "for restoration" stash, hand sanding to prep it for high mirror finish. I started with Aoto powder then 1k Aluinum Oxide powder, and saw that the steel of the blade has two distinct finishes meeting ~1/2 way -a sure sigh for a differential heat treatment.
So I put the blade trough the hot vinegar etch process and got a nice wide hamon. Whet I found really surprising is that a factory made razor has this kind of treatment, may be that was the way to achieve really high hardness of the edge. Needless to say this one stays in the collection, and I will have to check every single Japanese straight for hamon from now on :)

http://i49.tinypic.com/2n80oj9.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/2eaqvid.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/oqiuxx.jpg

So there ya have it- Honyaki Straight Razors.

Mr.Magnus
08-31-2012, 03:45 PM
that is sexy!

maxim
08-31-2012, 03:50 PM
hunt for Fon begins :shocked3:

Dave Martell
09-01-2012, 12:18 AM
You razor guys have issues :razz:

DwarvenChef
09-01-2012, 03:38 AM
You razor guys have issues :razz:

What ever do you mean :p Perfectly logical series of events to me :) Even if I am more inclined toward european 1800's stock :p

mpukas
09-01-2012, 04:44 PM
DwarvenChef & Mainaman - finally get back to you guys. Thanks for the responses.

I don't have a loupe, and yeah I need to get one to see what I'm doing at each stage.

I agree that every face responds differently to each razor, but I was getting great, very smooth shaves with my Dovo, then I f***'d it up.

It started when I took it to the Bester 500 - I was only using the GS 1K, 4K, & 8K previously, and thought it would be a good idea to make a few passes on the coarse stone to grind off some fatigued metal. The edge felt good in testing it, but felt HORRIBLE when I shaved with it. I had to hone it about 3 more times sans 500 to get it to shave somewhat smoothly again. Since then I've had the problems with nicks and cuts.

I've been able to get a decent, shaveable edge off of the 8K + stropping, and I know I really need to get better before I go on to finer stones/stropping compounds. But I'm getting a bit impatient and frustrated. This has been going on for months, and everytime I use the Dovo I end up looking like a stuck pig. I'll do everything from stropping to prep to actual shave very carefully and attentatively, and I'll get random nicks and slices - even on parts of my face that shouldn't get cut due to tight skin and flat even surface.

I've tried several different honing techniques/styles, and have yet discovered where my problems lies. I originally started using some of Lynn Abram's techniques, and those seemed locgical (except for the pyramid - I tried it once with so-so results) and gave me good results. Primarily using edge leading strokes. Then Murray Carter came out with his (very confrontational video that stirred up a virtual s**t storm) video on straight razor honing, and how he recommends using edge trailing strokes due to carbide pop-out. Seemed logical too, so I tried it and got good results, even better than before. Then sometime after that I hit the 500 stone and it's been downhill since then.

mpukas
09-01-2012, 04:49 PM
On another topic - do you guys tape the spine of your SRs?

MC says the design of a SR is such that if you tape the spine, then the spine does not wear down at the same rate at the edge bevel, and the angle of the bevel will increase over time.

It seems that most guys like to tape the spine, primamrily on coarse stones, if for no other reason that to prevent excessive scrathing on the spine.

I do not tape the spine.

mainaman
09-01-2012, 05:01 PM

MC says the design of a SR is such that if you tape the spine, then the spine does not wear down at the same rate at the edge bevel, and the angle of the bevel will increase over time.

It seems that most guys like to tape the spine, primamrily on coarse stones, if for no other reason that to prevent excessive scrathing on the spine.

I do not tape the spine.
Some I tape some I do not, depends on the case.
If you want send your Dovo to me I'll hone it for you to have something to shave with, also grab something cheap but in good shape from e-bay and practice honing. Having an edge for reference while learning honing IMO is the best way to go.

mpukas
09-01-2012, 06:52 PM
If you want send your Dovo to me I'll hone it for you to have something to shave with, also grab something cheap but in good shape from e-bay and practice honing. Having an edge for reference while learning honing IMO is the best way to go.

Thanks for the offer to hone my SR. I'm going to try a couple of things and see what I come up with. if I can't get a better edge, I'll send it to you.

I originally got the Dovo as a learning tool. Since I've aquired a couple of other razors, I now realize that the Dovo really is a great basic razor. I've got a cheap-ish wedge that I got from SRP that I can practice on as well. So far i can't really gat a decent enough edge on it to call it shaveable.

Dave Martell
09-01-2012, 09:03 PM

I don't tape spines when I hone UNLESS it's someone else's razor that I'm working on and then they'd have to have requested it OR I need to for repair purposes. I understand the reasons for taping a spine but I feel that the spine should wear directly proportional to the edge so I work with this in mind whenever possible.

PS - I believe that spine taping is a modern thing that's been introduced by custom razor makers as a way to allow for them to get away with the making of poorly ground (spine to height) ratios/hollows, poor honing jobs, and/or for simply keeping their damascus looking pretty. I do not believe that spine taping has ever been done prior to these guys starting into the razor world and I say this because I've never seen any evidence to say otherwise and lots of evidence that shows spine wear to be part of the equation of normal wear to the life of a straight razor.

I'd never state this on a razor forum though, I couldn't take the stoning. :D

DwarvenChef
09-02-2012, 02:42 AM
LOL Dave thats so true :p

I rarely tap myself unless I'm fixing some major damage.

It's good that your trying out different schools of thought as to honing your razor. Straight razors are truly an art form as no one person truly hones the same way another does. You follow what one person does and find a few quirks that work for you, than you try anothers style and notice a few more quirks that work. After a few more trials you notice your not following any one style any longer but have developed your own style that works for you. Keep it up :) it's fun :)

Yikes, 500 grit is way to coarse for a razor without major damage to the edge. I rarely go down to the 1k Glass Stone, this is my starting point for bevel setting a "new to me" razor. Even a razor with a shave ready edge from someone else seems to give me fits when I try to touch it up. So after that edge needs work I put my own edge on it, ony because it works for me. But I rarely get a razor that is shave ready LOL most of my aquisitions are over 100 years old and WHO KNOWS what kind of edge they have on them :p Lots of testing to figure out how someone honed a blade to know why the wear pattern is the way it is.

Birnando
09-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Snip..

I'd never state this on a razor forum though, I couldn't take the stoning. :D

Hehe, yeah, that seems to be a heated topic around the SR forums.
I'm not quite sure why though, there are valid arguments to be made both ways.

Personally I do tape most any razor these days, as a result of me honing mostly for others.
My own razors have been honed so many times by now, they really don't need anymore for a few years;)
There are one or two in my own collection that I don't use tape on, but they are few and far between these days.

tk59
09-02-2012, 09:41 AM
If you want send your Dovo to me I'll hone it for you to have something to shave with, also grab something cheap but in good shape from e-bay and practice honing. Having an edge for reference while learning honing IMO is the best way to go.+1. I don't know how much time you spent on the 500/1k stones but if you aren't careful, you can overgrind the spine relative to the edge. In that case, your edge will never hold well and I'd recommend taping.

Candlejack
09-02-2012, 10:28 AM
So i just purchased my first straight razors..
Three of them.

2 C.V Heljestrand, one is an MK24 the second one i am not sure about yet.
The last one is a J.A Hellberg

Hellberg: http://img.tradera.com/images/280/149090280_1.jpg

Heljestrand: http://img.tradera.com/mega/723/149020723_1.jpg

Heljestrand MK24: http://img.tradera.com/mega/632/149179632_1.jpg

All of these for around 50-60 bucks in total

Birnando
09-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Three of them.

A very good start mate.
Those Swedish razors are great shavers!
And for that price? Brilliant:)

Mr.Magnus
09-02-2012, 10:58 AM
Three of them.

Nice :) i see you been shoping on tradera ;)

Candlejack
09-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Nice :) i see you been shoping on tradera ;)

Idd, heard that there's few good modern razors that are easy to get and well, vintage swedish steel is usually awesome. So i've been checking tradera out a bit.
Did i steal some of the ones you wanted? ; )

Found a SSA that i REALLY wanted in mint condition.. but after 3 razors i decided that i needed some restraint. But that one was REALLY beautiful and in mint condition, saw a threat on SRP about them.. god i wish i got that one.

Now i just need a strop and a brush and some good shaving-cream..

Mr.Magnus
09-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Idd, heard that there's few good modern razors that are easy to get and well, vintage swedish steel is usually awesome. So i've been checking tradera out a bit.

Found a SSA that i REALLY wanted in mint condition.. but after 3 razors i decided that i needed some restraint. But that one was REALLY beautiful and in mint condition, saw a threat on SRP about them.. god i wish i got that one.

hehe nope i just won a mk31 in ivory good condition 137kr (18$) :) about that SSA, its probleby gonna end up at a guy that i know :)

buy the soap from Tom (Lefty) i tryd it. very nice soap. buy a strop in good quality etc Miller. same with brush make sure you get a good one with badger hair.

Birnando
09-02-2012, 12:54 PM

An easy and quick way to get some soap or cream is to go to your local perfumerie for some Tabac, The body shop for their cream called Maca Root and a few of the convinience stores for the Euro-Palmolive.
All stellar stuff and available locally:)

Neil Miller at the strop shop has great strops at reasonable prices.
Get a badger brush from an online store of choice. Shaving ie. does deliver real quick:)

K-Fed
09-02-2012, 01:21 PM
I just picked a Spike up after seeing this posted. I was surprised how quick it took a great edge.

It is super easy to hone, making it my most used straight for sure. I like the grind on it too. I've got thicker hair and the dovo just feels to flexy at the edge.

Candlejack
09-02-2012, 02:09 PM
hehe nope i just won a mk31 in ivory good condition 137kr (18$) :) about that SSA, its probleby gonna end up at a guy that i know :)

buy the soap from Tom (Lefty) i tryd it. very nice soap. buy a strop in good quality etc Miller. same with brush make sure you get a good one with badger hair.

Damn you, i was actually hoping for one a Mk3_ with some nice handle, ah well.. they go cheap at tradera so i'll have to keep an eye out, and i blame Björnar for everything

And i will check out what both of you recommended, when i see what condition the knives are in

Birnando
09-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Damn you, i was actually hoping for one a Mk3_ with some nice handle, ah well.. they go cheap at tradera so i'll have to keep an eye out, and i blame Björnar for everything

And i will check out what both of you recommended, when i see what condition the knives are in

Heh, I can live with that blame:)
Always nice to welcome yet another straight razor shaver!
Let me know if you need any help honing your razors, I'd be more than happy to help out.
I'm bringing my stones to Helsingör this November, so we could do a little razor honing there as well:)
That is, if you are attending that meet.

Candlejack
09-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Heh, I can live with that blame:)
Always nice to welcome yet another straight razor shaver!
Let me know if you need any help honing your razors, I'd be more than happy to help out.
I'm bringing my stones to Helsingör this November, so we could do a little razor honing there as well:)
That is, if you are attending that meet.

Of course i will, as long as i am able!
And i found another J.A Hellberg for 92 swedish kronor incl shipping so i couldn't resist. If i don't like them i can just pass them on, i saw that they fetched decent prices on SRP so i'm probably not going to lose any money on it.

Mr.Magnus
09-02-2012, 03:10 PM
made a little video. sry about the crapy focus, used a phone to record.

http://youtu.be/lUD7g1hL-To

Twistington
09-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Could not fight the urge to place a bid on a nr31 Erik Anton Berg Eskilstuna... and i won.
So in a few days my ears will be no more than a memory! :D

skewed
09-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Been using straights off and on for 3-4. End up using a DE most of the time because I have been having a tough time getting the edge just right on a straight. It really is an art. When the edge is 'just right' they are so nice to shave with.

Last week I dusted off a Wapienica, gave it a touch up and finished with a couple of strops and the shave was sublime. I will be working on honing my skills to try and get a perfect edge more reliably.

Might have to work on upgrading the crappy SS scales on a few of these Wapienicas, they really are great.

Mr.Magnus
09-03-2012, 12:18 AM
Could not fight the urge to place a bid on a nr31 Erik Anton Berg Eskilstuna... and i won.
So in a few days my ears will be no more than a memory! :D

Erik Anton Berg Makes great shavers.

Dave Martell
09-03-2012, 01:05 AM
I've tried so many straights and always come back to my first love - a late 1800's Wade & Butcher 7/8 Extra Hollow for being the very best shave I can get. I have an even older W&B wedge that I need to refurb and get into the rotation, it's so sweet with it's pressed horn scales and all. :)

DwarvenChef
09-03-2012, 02:53 AM
I've tried so many straights and always come back to my first love - a late 1800's Wade & Butcher 7/8 Extra Hollow for being the very best shave I can get. I have an even older W&B wedge that I need to refurb and get into the rotation, it's so sweet with it's pressed horn scales and all. :)

I have yet to find a useable W&B (pre 1900) that didn't handle well :) Took me forever to get my first W&B, than in about a month I got about 8 more LOL One is so far gone I couldn't save a single part of it. It's still together sitting on my shelf :p Others I ended up cutting off chunks of the blade to get them working again. Those old war horses just keep on working :) And they have some of the most interesting grinds :p

Mr.Magnus
09-03-2012, 01:32 PM
i wanna try a good W&B shaver. but im not good at them so i would not know what to buy. but the big choppers looks badass :)

tk59
09-03-2012, 01:41 PM
I got a 7/8 WaB last week that was easily the thinnest WaB I've seen. I got a great shave off of it yesterday. Easily up there with the best of my collection.

wenus2
09-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Does anybody here use an eastern style razor?

And my noob question....
Why don't they seem to be very popular?
Pros/cons?

Lefty
09-03-2012, 02:51 PM
For me, a kamisori just didn't work. I'm not a fan of "cross face shaving", nor do I like going WTG on one side and ATG on the other side of my face. It just doesn't work for me. I got a few decent shaves in, but nothing has come close to a Joseph Allen that a great friend of mine sent my way.

The tips on kamisoris can be downright deadly too! Too bad, because I wanted to love it. However, as with all opinions, YMMV. :D

mainaman
09-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Does anybody here use an eastern style razor?

And my noob question....
Why don't they seem to be very popular?
Pros/cons?
I have used kamisori, I have issue with storage as the edge is not protected. Other than that they shave fine.

Birnando
09-03-2012, 04:17 PM
I've used Kamisori's as well, and find them to be good shavers.
That said, I would definitely pick a good western most days

Candlejack
09-03-2012, 04:21 PM
http://gyazo.com/51e4fc38f70a9ce487c91faf0d8118f4.png?1346702527

One of the guys i bought from also had this one when i asked him for SSA's, mint condition.

He's got a big batch he's going to put up soon, here's a link to his tradera http://www.tradera.com/finding.mvc/itemlisting?ftgnr=743141

Birnando
09-03-2012, 04:24 PM
http://gyazo.com/51e4fc38f70a9ce487c91faf0d8118f4.png?1346702527

One of the guys i bought from also had this one when i asked him for SSA's, mint condition.

He's got a big batch he's going to put up soon, here's a link to his tradera http://www.tradera.com/finding.mvc/itemlisting?ftgnr=743141

Whoa, nice one.
Thanks for the link.
I'l be watching those...

Candlejack
09-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Whoa, nice one.
Thanks for the link.
I'l be watching those...

Paid 262 swedish kronor for that one.. so worth it

He's got one more SSA that's coming up (when his other straight-razors auctions has ended, but you can message him and ask him what he has, he does business at the side of tradera too (atleast with me this time)
And in total he has around 40 knives that are going up for auction.

Björnar.. i suspect you've bought a SSA from him before, a 2,5cm tall one. Heard he sold one for 1900 to norway and instantly thought of you

Here's the other SSA that's going up, i passed on this one, but if anyone wants it i bet he's going to take 200 for it:

http://gyazo.com/645f36154e93a02fc0683613f9b8d03a.png?1346703783

Birnando
09-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Paid 262 swedish kronor for that one.. so worth it

Björnar.. i suspect you've bought a SSA from him before, a 2,5cm tall one. Heard he sold one for 1900 to norway and instantly thought of you

Good deal!

Nope, that wasn't me:) I've bought some 50 razors or so on there, but that one slipped by me..

Candlejack
09-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Good deal!

Nope, that wasn't me:) I've bought some 50 razors or so on there, but that one slipped by me..

Haha, well, non the less, you've dealt with him before!

I'm thinking the SSA i got must be worth much more than i paid for it in this condition, unused. So i think i made a great deal

SpikeC
09-03-2012, 09:47 PM
I bought a W&B from the SRP and after honing it on a Shobudani Asagi with an Asano Nagura it gives great shaves. It is a "Special".
I also have a Bo-Ras-Ic that I found at an "anteek" store, and with the same routine it shaves just as well.

Lefty
09-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Magnus, it's really cool that the soap is in the video (thanks), but I need to send you one of my stickers! :)

Mike Davis
09-04-2012, 10:23 AM
This thread makes me want to expand my collection. I have been too busy for so much stuff, but getting a few minutes to shave with a straight is a wonderful thing :)

Mr.Magnus
09-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Magnus, it's really cool that the soap is in the video (thanks), but I need to send you one of my stickers! :)

hehe Yeah well looks more handmade with handwritten words ;) . And now when i tryd your soap. its great i higly recomend it to others.

Candlejack
09-04-2012, 11:26 AM
So, the first straight of 5 arrived today.
A C.V Heljestrand MK24, pretty good condition.

Mr.Magnus
09-04-2012, 03:28 PM
found this one in germany :) i was suprised the scales are in Ivory. its a CV Heljestrand Ludvig Lundin Katrineholm , Söderfors Extra Specialstål.

need some cleaning and a new edge.

Mr.Magnus
09-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Had some fun restoring this ERN 699. i paid slim to non since is had some rust,pitting and scratches on the scales n blade. alot fun :)

Candlejack
09-06-2012, 01:13 PM
http://imgur.com/a/3fLDT

And here's my start

markenki
09-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Had some fun restoring this ERN 699. i paid slim to non since is had some rust,pitting and scratches on the scales n blade. alot fun :)

Cool. How do you clean up and polish the sides of the blade (and the rest of the razor)?

Thanks,

Mark

Mr.Magnus
09-06-2012, 01:40 PM
i use sandpaper, i start at 1200,1500,2000,2500,3000,5000,8000,12000 and finish with a liquid that contains a 1 micron abrasive crystal, light pressure so you dont damage the blade. im not a fan of the buffering method. makes the corners very round and ugly. and for the scales i use sandpaper aswell if its plastic, if its ivory i use Dishing liquid and rubb it in well and after that i use thoothpaste and rubb in and clean it off and let it sit for a day and the shine comes of it self.

markenki
09-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks, Magnus. So just sandpaper wrapped around your finger? For the liquid, do you use a small piece of cloth?

Mr.Magnus
09-06-2012, 03:02 PM
yepp i wet the paper to. watch out if the blade has etching if so be very gently and dont add water if so. that will be gone fast if u sand. and if its gold etching dont even use a polish liquid.

mainaman
09-06-2012, 04:15 PM
For polishing blades you can use wine cork and other cylindrical objects of various diameters.
Check this tutorial out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woHWvgv9uH4

After I sand with sand paper I go to red aoto slurry to remove as much of the sanding marks as possible, works well for me.

markenki
09-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Great tips! Thanks a lot.

DwarvenChef
09-07-2012, 03:15 AM
I'll stick to my Non-Shiny stuff :p but you guys know me lol I'm way out in left field on what I like in a razor :)

If a wire wheel on my dremel doesn't get rit of it, it's not going anywhere...

Mr.Magnus
09-07-2012, 04:23 AM
I'll stick to my Non-Shiny stuff :p but you guys know me lol I'm way out in left field on what I like in a razor :)

If a wire wheel on my dremel doesn't get rit of it, it's not going anywhere...

I also like vintage look but I don't want active rust on the blade. But if I can make a 100year old knife look brand new in love that to.

Mr.Magnus
09-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Here is the MK31 dressed in Ivory i got for 18 bucks :). Just had to do some cleaning, but even thou it had some rust this razor was in great shape with no honeware

Before pics.

After pics.

DwarvenChef
09-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Good job on saving the Ivory, that stuff is a bugger :p

Dave Martell
09-09-2012, 09:55 PM
I just made myself a new hanging strop, I'm calling it my "New Dog" (LOL), it's awesome for the edge but feels a tad slippery (for lack of draw). I can't believe how smooth it makes my old Frederick Reynolds wedge shave, that's saying something, you FR users know what I'm talking about.

I'm going to make another from the leftovers and treat it differently (get me some of that special magic leather conditioner stuff) and maybe even pretty up the edges to make it a little bit more "New Dog"(ish). Fun stuff :)

Mr.Magnus
09-10-2012, 01:27 AM
Nice Dave. Some pics? Do u have a linen side on the strop?

I just made myself a new hanging strop, I'm calling it my "New Dog" (LOL), it's awesome for the edge but feels a tad slippery (for lack of draw). I can't believe how smooth it makes my old Frederick Reynolds wedge shave, that's saying something, you FR users know what I'm talking about.

I'm going to make another from the leftovers and treat it differently (get me some of that special magic leather conditioner stuff) and maybe even pretty up the edges to make it a little bit more "New Dog"(ish). Fun stuff :)

Dave Martell
09-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Nice Dave. Some pics? Do u have a linen side on the strop?

No it's just a single component leather strop.

Mr.Magnus
09-10-2012, 02:09 AM

Ok. Any pics? :)

DwarvenChef
09-10-2012, 02:58 AM
I have 3 FR's and love each one :) I never seemed to have a problem getting a great edge on mine but have heard some horror stories :p

Mr.Magnus
09-10-2012, 03:11 AM
I have 3 FR's and love each one :) I never seemed to have a problem getting a great edge on mine but have heard some horror stories :p

FR stands for French razor? Or framebacks?

DwarvenChef
09-10-2012, 03:18 AM
FR stands for French razor? Or framebacks?

Frederick Raynolds, Sheffield razors.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/DwarvenChef/DSC00982.jpg

Mr.Magnus
09-10-2012, 03:50 AM

Oh okay. Nice scales is it horn with transparent look? That razor needs all cleaning at the joints IMO :P

Dave Martell
09-10-2012, 10:12 AM

Ok. Any pics? :)

I'll take pictures when I make the next one (which should look better), I'll shoot both together so you can see the difference.

Dave Martell
09-10-2012, 10:13 AM

:ubersexy:

Lefty
09-10-2012, 10:16 AM
That is a great blade! Funny how their razors are awesome, but the knives...well, I'm glad they did razors. :)

Lefty
09-10-2012, 10:25 AM
I'll take pictures when I make the next one (which should look better), I'll shoot both together so you can see the difference.

I was thinking about the benefits of a linen and a leather side on a strop, just last night. A linen side is not really necessary, but is almost like "hone-ping". It's a way to not need the stones for even longer, but more importantly, it gives you that option of customization of your edge. Technically, you could charge the rougher side of a strop and use it in a similar manner, depending on the type of leather, and never need linen. BUT, given the choice, and the pure luxurious-ness (look and feel) of a true two sided strop...well we all know which our eyes and razors would fall upon.

DwarvenChef
09-10-2012, 04:11 PM
When I had Tony Miller make my strop I asked for the cotton "linen" backing. I use it every time basicly to remove anything that may settle on the edge while sitting. After the shave right before putting the razor away I do a few laps on the cotton to again clean off anything not razor. I do notice a bit longer life from my edges doing this and it's only about 5 laps before and after.

DwarvenChef
09-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Oh okay. Nice scales is it horn with transparent look? That razor needs all cleaning at the joints IMO :P

Looks bad in the pic but it's only patina now, I never sand or remove all the patina from a blade, I just remove active rust and corrosion. I like a blade to look it's age while still being servicable :)

Yes it's dyed yellow/clear horn, common is those days to immitate tortise shell, than it just got goofy with splotches and no longer looked like shell but a colored horn.

Mr.Magnus
09-16-2012, 12:49 PM
I gotta say that Leftys shaving soap starts to grow on me, u kinda get addicted to the smell. :jumping2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFJqAD03TBo&list=UUW8eMt9iy0-4JakPtj_oOaA&index=1&feature=plcp

markenki
09-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Ok, so thanks to this thread (damn you, Mr.Magnus! :biggrin:), I've started trying out straight razors. Went with the "sight unseen deal", and already have a second razor on the way from another vendor. Of course, I've tried honing as well, but still have a ton to learn about both shaving and honing. This thing ain't easy! So much for the advice to take it slow. :laugh:

One question: do you use separate stones for your knives and razors? I'm thinking about stones you would use to set the bevel on the razor. I imagine those would need to be kept very flat for razors but less so for knives. Might be easier to just use separate stones so that you don't need to unecessarily keep stones for knives too flat. A related question: is an Atoma 600 or 1200 alone fine enough for lapping razor stones? Or do you need to follow the Atoma will something finer (maybe a tomonagura?) to maintain the mirror-smooth surface?

Many thanks,

Mark

Mr.Magnus
09-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Haha. so have you had your first shave yet? and was it shave-ready from a good sharperner? a good test is the hair test or if u can cut hairs from your arm witout skinn contact.

about the stones im not realy a pro so im gonna leave that question to someone like Dwarven or Lefty.

Ok, so thanks to this thread (damn you, Mr.Magnus! :biggrin:), I've started trying out straight razors. Went with the "sight unseen deal", and already have a second razor on the way from another vendor. Of course, I've tried honing as well, but still have a ton to learn about both shaving and honing. This thing ain't easy! So much for the advice to take it slow. :laugh:

One question: do you use separate stones for your knives and razors? I'm thinking about stones you would use to set the bevel on the razor. I imagine those would need to be kept very flat for razors but less so for knives. Might be easier to just use separate stones so that you don't need to unecessarily keep stones for knives too flat. A related question: is an Atoma 600 or 1200 alone fine enough for lapping razor stones? Or do you need to follow the Atoma will something finer (maybe a tomonagura?) to maintain the mirror-smooth surface?

Many thanks,

Mark

mainaman
09-16-2012, 02:58 PM
I use 1k Chosera ,Shapton Pros 2/5/8k, 10k super Stone then jump on naturals
So some of the stones I use on razors I also use on knives.

markenki
09-16-2012, 03:02 PM
I've tried shaving, yes, but haven't succeeded with the full face yet. Best I've done is a halfway-decent job on the cheeks and lower neck. When I get to my chin, the blade just doesn't seem to want to go through the stubble. Not sure whether it's the angle, or not-sharp-enough blade (due to my stopping?), or what. Anyway, at that point, I give up for fear of slicing off half my chin, and go back (tail between my legs) to my sissy Gillette.

The razor from Larry was supposed to be shave ready, and I have no reason to doubt it. The other one that's on the way is from Steve at The Invisible Edge. It's one of the NOS Törnblom razors he has. It's supposed to be shave ready as well; I hope it's a good one. Will try the arm-hair test. Thanks for the tip!

I also have Lynn's DVD on the way. It should have some good stuff I can use!

Regards,

Mark

Haha. so have you had your first shave yet? and was it shave-ready from a good sharperner? a good test is the hair test or if u can cut hairs from your arm witout skinn contact.

about the stones im not realy a pro so im gonna leave that question to someone like Dwarven or Lefty.

markenki
09-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks, Stefan. Good to know I don't need a separate set of stones for razors!

I use 1k Chosera ,Shapton Pros 2/5/8k, 10k super Stone then jump on naturals
So some of the stones I use on razors I also use on knives.

Mr.Magnus
09-16-2012, 03:40 PM
well hard to tell but you should use around a 30 degree angle. when you strop make sure you dont have any pressure on the blade at all. just the waight of the razor. the chin area can be tricky but i like to split the shaving in that area. from underlipp to tip of chin and from tip of chin to throwt. and make sure you stretch the skin.

a vintage razor that has amazing steel and feels great in the hand is the CV Heljestrand MK Series. and i would recomend a MK31 for a beginner. thay can get abit pricey but some times u get lucky and find them for lunch money. i found my mk31 ivory NOS for 18 bucks.

I've tried shaving, yes, but haven't succeeded with the full face yet. Best I've done is a halfway-decent job on the cheeks and lower neck. When I get to my chin, the blade just doesn't seem to want to go through the stubble. Not sure whether it's the angle, or not-sharp-enough blade (due to my stopping?), or what. Anyway, at that point, I give up for fear of slicing off half my chin, and go back (tail between my legs) to my sissy Gillette.

The razor from Larry was supposed to be shave ready, and I have no reason to doubt it. The other one that's on the way is from Steve at The Invisible Edge. It's one of the NOS Törnblom razors he has. It's supposed to be shave ready as well; I hope it's a good one. Will try the arm-hair test. Thanks for the tip!

I also have Lynn's DVD on the way. It should have some good stuff I can use!

Regards,

Mark

brainsausage
09-16-2012, 04:19 PM
nice video magnus.

markenki
09-16-2012, 04:52 PM
i found my mk31 ivory NOS for 18 bucks.
Ok, I'll pay you twice for it. :-)

My understanding is that Törnblom worked for Heljestrand before going out on his own, so maybe the Törnbloms are good, too?

tkern
09-16-2012, 07:23 PM
I just picked up an old W&B, the blade needs a bit of love and the scales are pretty beat up. Does anyone know someone that does scale work?

Pensacola Tiger
09-16-2012, 08:07 PM
I just picked up an old W&B, the blade needs a bit of love and the scales are pretty beat up. Does anyone know someone that does scale work?

There's a section over on SRP for "Member Services" that includes honing and restoration. Our own Stefan (mainaman) is one of those offering these services.

I had Glen Mercurio (gssixgun) of GemStar Customs restore an old Spanish straight for me last year with some olivewood scales and I can recommend him.

Before:
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Navaja%20Roca%20%20Square%20Point/file-7.jpg

After:
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Navaja%20Roca%20%20Square%20Point/file-4.jpg

brainsausage
09-16-2012, 10:57 PM
There's a section over on SRP for "Member Services" that includes honing and restoration. Our own Stefan (mainaman) is one of those offering these services.

I had Glen Mercurio (gssixgun) of GemStar Customs restore an old Spanish straight for me last year with some olivewood scales and I can recommend him.

Before:
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Navaja%20Roca%20%20Square%20Point/file-7.jpg

After:
http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx226/Pensacola_Tiger/Navaja%20Roca%20%20Square%20Point/file-4.jpg

Holy ****!!!

Mr.Magnus
09-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Ok, I'll pay you twice for it. :-)

My understanding is that Törnblom worked for Heljestrand before going out on his own, so maybe the Törnbloms are good, too?

Hehe i wouldn't sell it for 300 =)

Törnblom makes great shavers aswell but I would never pay 70-80 bucks for 1. Erik Anton berg makes good quality razors aswell but don't pay more then 40 bucks for these razors in good condition

Mr.Magnus
09-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Very nice find tiger

Mr.Magnus
09-17-2012, 01:18 AM
nice video magnus.

Glad you liked it :)

DwarvenChef
09-17-2012, 04:46 AM
I can't stress enough that anyone looking to get into straight razors should see Lynn's DVD. It really goes over just about everything a perspective shaver should know before getting into it. Down side to the DVD is the huge number of RAD attacks that happen just after watching it... :p (you'll understand...)

Birnando
09-17-2012, 05:24 AM
I can't stress enough that anyone looking to get into straight razors should see Lynn's DVD. It really goes over just about everything a perspective shaver should know before getting into it. Down side to the DVD is the huge number of RAD attacks that happen just after watching it... :p (you'll understand...)

Yeah, I agree with this.
It is a rather lenghty vid, but it covers most anything related to the fine art of straight razor shaving.
Even though it is a few years by now, it is still very much all you will need to know to get started, and then some:)

Lefty
09-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Just caught up with this thread, and there's some great info on here.

Magnus, thanks for the video. It looks great! Next time, try loading a bit longer, and face lathering. That's where the magic happens, in my opinion :). I'd like to say one thing, as well. I'm no "expert", but rather a guy who likes to know things, and I tend to study my interests, fairly heavily. I love the history and technique involved with wet-shaving, and that's why I have my site going - to help people get interested in it, and to be a resource or great products. However, Dwarvenchef, Dave, maxim, mainaman, Rick...those guys REALLY know their stuff. :)

However, thanks for the kind words.

And, anything by Lynn is a fantastic resource!

Mr.Magnus
09-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Just caught up with this thread, and there's some great info on here.

Magnus, thanks for the video. It looks great! Next time, try loading a bit longer, and face lathering. That's where the magic happens, in my opinion :). I'd like to say one thing, as well. I'm no "expert", but rather a guy who likes to know things, and I tend to study my interests, fairly heavily. I love the history and technique involved with wet-shaving, and that's why I have my site going - to help people get interested in it, and to be a resource or great products. However, Dwarvenchef, Dave, maxim, mainaman, Rick...those guys REALLY know their stuff. :)

However, thanks for the kind words.

And, anything by Lynn is a fantastic resource!

i dont need to load the brush for more then 20 sec with your soap. get plenty of lather :) yes i do face lather but i just wanted to make a test in a bowl and it worked great to.

unkajonet
09-17-2012, 11:55 AM

Most dangerous part of that DVD is when he shows his collection...

DwarvenChef
09-18-2012, 02:59 AM
Most dangerous part of that DVD is when he shows his collection...

My wife hides my wallet when ever I watch that part of the dvd... each time I see something that catches my fancy at that particular moment and I go a searchin for it :p I have yet to find any ivory scales but they are still on my hunt and pick list :p

Mr.Magnus
09-18-2012, 08:02 AM
My wife hides my wallet when ever I watch that part of the dvd... each time I see something that catches my fancy at that particular moment and I go a searchin for it :p I have yet to find any ivory scales but they are still on my hunt and pick list :p

What type of ivory scales are you looking for

DwarvenChef
09-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Something on an early 1800's heavy grind. Being a thrifty buyer I never find them in a price I'm willing to pay, I figure one day I'll come across one in a box lot or something :p

Mr.Magnus
09-18-2012, 02:56 PM
Something on an early 1800's heavy grind. Being a thrifty buyer I never find them in a price I'm willing to pay, I figure one day I'll come across one in a box lot or something :p

oh ok. did thay use like elephant tusk that early? witch brands did? i was gonna ask if u wanted a razor from me but this one is i think 1930s 40s. not that old but def ivory scales. im having a friend putting on a new edge on it atm but when it gets back ill give it to you if u want it that is :) its the razor i posted in this theard postnr #106 if u want it all im asking is shipping cost. if u dont want it someone els in here might wanna have it. i thought u might wanna try some swedish steel if u havent already :P

DwarvenChef
09-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Honestly I have yet to get my hands on a swedish razor, at least I don't remember having one :p I have a list somewhere of swedish models I wanted to look for but I always end up blowing the funds on an older english blade :p

I'm not sure about the timeline of ivory scales but i have seen a few older blades with ivory. I don't think they where that common back than. Turtle was used more often I think but again they didn't survive the ravages of time (and bugs).

Mr.Magnus
09-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Honestly I have yet to get my hands on a swedish razor, at least I don't remember having one :p I have a list somewhere of swedish models I wanted to look for but I always end up blowing the funds on an older english blade :p

I'm not sure about the timeline of ivory scales but i have seen a few older blades with ivory. I don't think they where that common back than. Turtle was used more often I think but again they didn't survive the ravages of time (and bugs).

so do you want it or should i give it to lefty cuz hes next in line for a free swedish razor. this one is not polished thou but will be 100% shave ready. :)

Lefty
09-18-2012, 08:15 PM
That's one generous giveaway! If it falls to me, I'll remember it :)
But there is Dwarvenchef ahead of me :)

DwarvenChef
09-19-2012, 02:07 AM
so do you want it or should i give it to lefty cuz hes next in line for a free swedish razor. this one is not polished thou but will be 100% shave ready. :)

I'd love to try it, than I can pass it to lefty so he can play with it :) I love it when they are not polished :)

Mr.Magnus
09-19-2012, 09:25 AM
I'd love to try it, than I can pass it to lefty so he can play with it :) I love it when they are not polished :)

Awesome. Have some fun with it and then pass it over to lefty and if he don't like it for some reason he pass it to next guy for free i hope :) send me a pm with your adress Dwarven and ill send us the razor when it's shave ready.

tkern
09-19-2012, 01:59 PM
W&B that needs a little love.

mainaman
09-19-2012, 02:02 PM

W&B that needs a little love.can't see the attachements

Lefty
09-19-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm currently recutting bevels into a W and B wedge (great shaves with these), for Matt. The damn thing is taking so long, I'm gonna get it tuned up and just let him keep it. I guess this is turning into a bit of a PIF thread....

kalaeb
09-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Lol, If I recall I am substiantially behind on a few things for you as well.

mainaman
09-19-2012, 03:09 PM
can't see the attachements
Ok I can see the pics now, hard to tell the condition of the blade but looks good, bugs have snacked on the scales for sure.

tkern
09-19-2012, 03:14 PM
The blade had a bit of rust on it that I took off w/ 1k sandpaper. The bugs have definitely been munching, thusly the rescale.

Mr.Magnus
09-19-2012, 03:26 PM
im still waiting for a razor i know nothing about and this is the picture from the seller haha i paid 3$ for it all i know is that its a D. Miller & son.
Eldon works. with horn scales... dwarven this might be something you know of? ill get the knife this week so alot better pics will be taken lol.

DwarvenChef
09-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Looks mid 1850's and yes I'm drolling a little :) Hope those scales are salvageable :)

mainaman
09-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Just got this NOS western Iwasaki in my hands.
Blade has no hone wear, original box and papers, scales are beautiful, I'll see if I can get translation on what is written on them. The razor is made form Swedish Steel that Iwasaki uses on their kamisori now.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2meob4i.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/2z54zys.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/n71cac.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/2znuwl4.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/28la0pg.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/16apgfa.jpg

SpikeC
09-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Holy Moly, that is a sweeeety!

SpikeC
09-25-2012, 05:01 PM
im still waiting for a razor i know nothing about and this is the picture from the seller haha i paid 3$ for it all i know is that its a D. Miller & son.
Eldon works. with horn scales... dwarven this might be something you know of? ill get the knife this week so alot better pics will be taken lol.

So is that one of those rare ceramic bladed razors?:groucho:

Mr.Magnus
09-26-2012, 12:26 AM
So is that one of those rare ceramic bladed razors?:groucho:

lol......

well i got the razor now but the blond horn scale broke in shipping witch sucks. need to replace.

DwarvenChef
09-26-2012, 04:00 PM
/drool

wallawally
09-27-2012, 12:30 AM
I have been to lazy to use it for a few years but I have one.:biggrin:
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3664/stp61316.jpg

Mr.Magnus
09-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Nice kit Walla. but that strop looks untouched :P

wallawally
09-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Yeah it was new when I took the picture a 3 or 4 years ago. I didn't use it much for straights but now I use it for my knives.

mainaman
09-28-2012, 09:19 PM
Two PUMA that are going in my collection.
I have been waiting a long time for a PUMA at the right price and what do you know 2 fell in my hands.
The #69 is full restore the 89 only the scales and I had to modify them to fit the rubber grip between the scales.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2sac9iw.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/73fbls.jpg

DwarvenChef
09-29-2012, 02:51 AM
Puma is on my short list as well, just heard to many good things about them. Like DD's I have heard nothing bot good news about these razors, I just happened to aquire a large number of DD's early in my RAD and soon moved off that style of razor. But the itch to get a Puma is still there :p

Good score nice looking pieces :)

maxim
09-29-2012, 08:24 AM
My 2 new razors in family :D :bliss:

Western Kamisori

And Swedish Heljestrand M G

mainaman
09-29-2012, 08:33 AM
My 2 new razors in family :D

Western Kamisori

And Swedish Heljestrand M G

great score, I really love the kamisori grind westerns

Mr.Magnus
09-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Never seen a MG razor before... looks like stainless

mpukas
09-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Just got this NOS western Iwasaki in my hands.
Blade has no hone wear, original box and papers, scales are beautiful, I'll see if I can get translation on what is written on them. The razor is made form Swedish Steel that Iwasaki uses on their kamisori now.

The things that you come up with are amazing!!! So so sic

Mr.Magnus
10-05-2012, 02:23 PM
so i find restoring razors fun :) here is a few crapy phone pics. Dwarven dont look. :)

Joseph Redgers & Sons (before restoring)
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/asgf.jpg
(after restoring)
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-10-05192552.jpg
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-10-05192452.jpg
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-10-05192731.jpg

This was the worst i done so far:) Fredrick Reynolds (Before)
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/606502000_o.jpg
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/606501963_o.jpg
(after) Scales stil in working progress
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-10-05192143.jpg
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-10-05192103.jpg

And here is a few of my restored Cv Heljestrand MK30MK31MK32MK32
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-10-05193105.jpg

overview of restored by me and edge put on by a friend. my private razors.
http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mange-g/2012-10-05193927.jpg

GlassEye
10-05-2012, 02:40 PM
After de-bearding for the first time this year, this thread is really making me want some proper shaving tools, but the cost of getting started seems like more than I could do for a while. What are the necessary items one should have for a proper straight razor shave?

Mr.Magnus
10-05-2012, 03:12 PM
After de-bearding for the first time this year, this thread is really making me want some proper shaving tools, but the cost of getting started seems like more than I could do for a while. What are the necessary items one should have for a proper straight razor shave?

razor 10-20$,strop 40-50 $,good brush (25-35 and a shavingcream 5-15$. and if u got sensetive skin you also need a preshave balm or a cream for sensetive skin +10$.

i would say around 100$-130$ for a good kit.

DwarvenChef
10-05-2012, 03:23 PM
The cost on converting to straights is all up front, meaning you get all the gear you need first. With no cartriges, can O goo, and such you upkeep is minimalist. On avg shaving with modern cartrige systems can cost up $500-700 anually... For the past several years my upkeep has been about $20 annually for soap, I like handmade soaps... So in the long run if you stick to it you will be saving a ton O cash after the first year.

Of coorse this does not take into account those of us aflicted with *AD's such as RAD, HAD, SBAD, SAD, and so on :p

GlassEye
10-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Of coorse this does not take into account those of us aflicted with *AD's such as RAD, HAD, SBAD, SAD, and so on :p

I already have a good list of ADs, may as well add some more.

markenki
10-05-2012, 05:21 PM
I already have a good list of ADs, may as well add some more.
ADAD?

GlassEye
10-15-2012, 08:20 PM
This just arrived from Maxim:
http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz133/glasseye72/KKF/_DSC2552.jpg
I might be able to get a brush and soap after payday to try it out. Thanks again to Maxim for the product review contest.

SpikeC
10-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Congrats, Dude! Happy shaving!

markenki
10-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Sweet! Congratulations!

mainaman
10-15-2012, 10:00 PM
You got one of the most coveted brands of razor out there.
Filarmonica are one of the very best, enjoy it.

Mr.Magnus
10-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Congratz Glaseye :) hope you find a good brush and soap and try it out soon!.

Lefty
10-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Niiiice!

Dwarvenchef, you deserve a free "sample" of my stuff to let menknow what you think! PM me your addy and I'll send some out :)

tgraypots
10-17-2012, 12:09 PM
I have a lot of questions about this whole straight razor, shaving soap and brush thing. There are quite a few North Carolinians making handmade shaving soap, and I'm considering making my own wa-style straight. I'll need a good brush at a fair price, and I make my own bowls. I'm showing my ignorance here -- do you guys put the whole bar of soap in your cups or just shave off a little into the cups and whip up the lather? I mean I'm clueless! I'm also kicking myself as I threw out my great grandfather's western straight, probably 25-30 years ago :-( I really don't want to join another forum right now to get answers, so here's more -- what does 6/8 or 8/8, etc. mean? Which side should be hollow ground on a single bevel for a right handed person? I'm sure I'll have ??? more later. Thanks! Tom

mpukas
10-17-2012, 12:41 PM
I have a lot of questions about this whole straight razor, shaving soap and brush thing. There are quite a few North Carolinians making handmade shaving soap, and I'm considering making my own wa-style straight. I'll need a good brush at a fair price, and I make my own bowls. I'm showing my ignorance here -- do you guys put the whole bar of soap in your cups or just shave off a little into the cups and whip up the lather? I mean I'm clueless! I'm also kicking myself as I threw out my great grandfather's western straight, probably 25-30 years ago :-( I really don't want to join another forum right now to get answers, so here's more -- what does 6/8 or 8/8, etc. mean? Which side should be hollow ground on a single bevel for a right handed person? I'm sure I'll have ??? more later. Thanks! Tom

You should really check out Straight Razor Place – they have an amazing library of very helpful info. And you don’t have to get into the discussions to learn more than you ever knew existed.

Here’s some quick responses…

Most people keep shaving soap in a soap bowl – it either comes in a bowl or if you buy a puck you can melt it in a microwave and pour it into the bowl. I use pyrex glass ramekins; put a soap puck it in, put the lot in a pot of simmering water to melt the soap. To use, soak your brush in another shaving bowl/mug in warm water; whip up a little lather in the soap bowl with some water; empty the water from the shaving bowl/mug and dump in the suds; whip to a lather, adding more water or suds as required. It’s takes a couple of times to get to know how the soap reacts and the kind of lather you like.

I have heard of guys using a cheese grater to grate the soap, and then they use a few flakes in the shaving bowl. Seems like a great way for traveling.

*/8 refers to the height of the blade in fractions of an inch. But for some reason unknown to me it’s usually represented in 1/8ths. 4/8 = 1/2“ 5/8 can’t be deduced so it’s 5/8”; 6/8 = 3/4”, etc.

For traditional kamisori, the hollow ground is always on the left (unless it’s made for a left handed user, but in Japan there’s no such thing). The intention is that the razor is used ONLY with the right hand and the hollow ground is ALWAYS against the face, when shaving every part of the face. Go to YouTube and search for kamisori shaving; there are a couple of Western guys who have done it well, but I’ve decided it’s not my cup of tea and never went further into it. It’s another art of itself. I’ve seen some new kamisori-style razors that are double bevel as a means of given Westerns more of the flexibility/diversity we are used to. There are folks around that know far more than I do about kamisori.

Lefty
10-17-2012, 01:04 PM
What mpukas said. However, I'm a face-latherer, myself.

DwarvenChef
10-18-2012, 03:34 AM
Some soaps are harder to melt than others, if I remember correctly triple milled soaps don't melt well in the nuke box and for the life of me I could not tell you what those brands are off the top of my head. Most hand made soaps do melt easy and both the hot water and nuke box will do the trick, however the nuke box is riskier as it can damage some of the components of the soap by getting to hot to fast. Hot water method is far safer in so many more ways :)

I have my soaps in many diffrent containers, curiosity keeps me guessing at times :p I have used empty lather bowls, mugs, cast iron bowls, you name it. It comes down more personal preference than function, but not fully :p As you get more addicted to soaps you will find subtle differences in how they act with any one combination of brush, container, and face... Yes yet another art unto it's self :p

As for brushes... ( just run and Hide :p ) Personal preference calls more into play than the components. That said Boar bristle brushes are stiffer, silver tip badger are super soft, Pure badger is afordable but not as soft as silver tips. And each brush acts different vs the soap used and the face it's pressed against. As for names of manufacturers, yikes... Personally if it was made in China... pass unless you really know the reputation of the maker, lots of junk coming out of there nowdays. German brushes are extreamly popular and have a price tag to match. Art of Shaving is all over the place in both quality and price so get your hands on a piece before laying down serious cash, again depending on taste, I really like my AoS pure badger brush a nice middle of the road feel.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a190/DwarvenChef/DSC00852-1.jpg
L to R
ShaveMac SRP LE '08 Silver Tip Badger, in cast iron bowl
Art of Shaving Pure Badger, in handmade ceramic bowl
Allessee "silver tip", in a copper bottom messuring cup

The ShaveMac is a german made brush with a "bulb cut" knot, this brush is crazy soft and does not like hard soaps. Takes forever to get a lather off the puck, gratting the hard soap may help here but i have yet to try that. However it ROCKS when using creams :)

AoS pure badger has been a good work horse, it's handled both creams and harder soaps with ease and at the cost, MUCH lower than the mid priced ShaveMac, makes a great starter brush. It's not flashy and some people have had shedding issues with them, but I have not.

Allessee silver tip was my first brush and it's very small, great for traveling however :) Cost wise they are not much cheaper than AoS ($50-$75) and unless you are looking for mini items I'd not recomend them sight unseen.

I also have 2 of my dads boar brushes that I'm looking to get restored with new bristles (called Knots) but have yet to dig into it very much...

l r harner
10-18-2012, 08:04 AM
i like momabear soaps they come i both pucks and screw top containers
liek said brushes come in all kinds (golden nib also carrys the bare knots if you wanted to turn or throw your own brush handle ) i get the silver tips in different sizes depending what i/ the user is wanting

mainaman
10-18-2012, 08:52 AM
the best soaps i have tried sol far are Razorock from Italian barber
and Mike's Shaving soaps from his site, Queen Charlotte are also pretty good.

Lefty
10-18-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm not a fan of melting a soap into a container. For the most part, you can grate it and press it into a new container, or in the case of Mike's Natural Soaps, RazoRock, QCS and Proraso/any croap, you can just scoop out the soap and form it to your new container.

By the way, I'm purposely listing the soaps I'm most impressed with, but I did forget my favourite shave stick, La Toja and my favourite veggy soap, Cade.

Canadian
10-19-2012, 12:45 PM
I am a straight razor user, but i've never been afflicted with HAD or any other kind of gear fetish disorder.

I have a couple coticules and that is all. I find the edge off a coticule gives me the best edge characteristics for my face.

tgraypots
10-19-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. Having used handmade soap all week (HA! 3 shaves!) I'm sold. A woman not too far from me makes handmade soaps and I've been pleased with what I have so far. I'm expecting a better brush in the mail than what I have any day now, and looking forward to a return to wet shaving. I haven't used a puck and a brush since the 80's. Yep, I'm that old.

Mr.Magnus
10-21-2012, 01:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OFEmBLlPJ0&feature=share&list=UUW8eMt9iy0-4JakPtj_oOaA

Mr.Magnus
10-21-2012, 02:25 PM
video of my favorites :)

Xuster
10-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Any one have a recommendation for a good aftershave that is scentless?

Mr.Magnus
10-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Alum

Any one have a recommendation for a good aftershave that is scentless?

SpikeC
10-22-2012, 01:15 PM
rubbing alcohol

Lefty
10-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Straight Witch Hazel is pretty scentless.

Xuster
10-22-2012, 07:39 PM
rubbing alcohol

Rubbing alcohol i would not consider scentless -.-;;; does alum come in any form other than bar? it looks like you can buy it as a powder. Can you mix it with water or something?

SpikeC
10-22-2012, 07:40 PM
So what does alcohol smell like?

Xuster
10-22-2012, 10:19 PM
smells like isopropyl alcohol...it's rather distinct.

tkern
10-22-2012, 11:49 PM
So what does alcohol smell like?

Regret, shame, and a damn good time.

Mr.Magnus
10-23-2012, 12:23 AM
.-;;; does alum come in any form other than bar? it looks like you can buy it as a powder. Can you mix it with water or something?

i would recomend the bar or a deo shaped one. you use it with water but dont run it under water rhater just dipp it and when your done make sure its dry again and it will serve you for a long time.

Eamon Burke
10-23-2012, 02:00 AM
If you go through a bar of Alum in your life, I salute you. It is the Atoma Plate of aftershave.

They are basically rocks that will soothe your skin, and help stop nicks from burning and bleeding. You'll know where the nicks are, too, even if they aren't deep enough to bleed.

Xuster
10-23-2012, 08:44 PM
There seems to be a lot of brands out there. Is one better than the other? They're just all blocks of potassium aluminum sulfate right? Any suggestions for a specific brand?

l r harner
10-23-2012, 09:27 PM
i have never used one (i had one of those steni sticks but only used it one or 2 times) im a fan of an ice cube over the face after the shave but before the "aftershave "

mainaman
10-23-2012, 09:44 PM
There seems to be a lot of brands out there. Is one better than the other? They're just all blocks of potassium aluminum sulfate right? Any suggestions for a specific brand?
the cheapest one, Alum is not really needed though

mpukas
10-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Anyone got a recomendation for a pre-shave treatment? Such as a pre-shave oil of some sort?

I've never used anything of the sort, but have heard about them here and there. I'm thinking of trying something as I keep getting nciks around the outer lower corners of my face between my chin and lower lips...

Lefty
10-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Proraso Pre-Shave is what I use. Whether or not it works any better than hot water by itself is up for debate. With that being said, I still use it almost every shave and bought three jars when I learned they were changing the formula. Now that I think about it, I'm guessing the new one is great too. Meh!

mainaman
10-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Proraso Pre-Shave is what I use. Whether or not it works any better than hot water by itself is up for debate. With that being said, I still use it almost every shave and bought three jars when I learned they were changing the formula. Now that I think about it, I'm guessing the new one is great too. Meh!
I have used proraso, and home made oils mixes and really did not find any benefit to the shave.
I do no prep now and have zero problems, IMO it is about experience and properly honed edge than anything else.

Lefty
10-26-2012, 12:44 PM
You're very likely right, but I like the smell, ritual and placebo effect of it all.

DwarvenChef
10-27-2012, 04:34 AM
I'm not much for the oils as they can cause issues if not cleaned off the hands properly, nothing like shaving with a slippery razor :p One of the things I try is a conditioner for my wifes hair. Durring my shower I run on the conditioner and let it sit a few minutes than rinse it off. Than shave as usual with just a lather.

Another thing I have tried and worked well was lathering up than washing it off with hot water and lathering again for the shave. When I have time this is the one I use and it works well for me.

All in all if the edge is not up to snuff nothing you do will make the shave comfortable :p

mpukas
10-27-2012, 03:07 PM
All in all if the edge is not up to snuff nothing you do will make the shave comfortable :p

After my last round with you guys about edge quality, I went back to the stones with some new techniques and have a much, much better edge now. Tried a few circles, and spent limited time on the 1k, and more intension on the 4k & 8k. Edge is quite smooth and I'm back to have very smooth shaves. Not saying it's perfect, but it's vastly better than before I f'd it.

Sometimes if I don't feel like making more than one pass, it's still awfully close. Doing a 2nd pass is more for ritual than practicality for me.

I always seem to get a couple nicks in the same place right below the corners of my lips, no matter what I try or how carefully I shave that area. I’m just wondering if a some pre-shave treatment would help. Not really into adding another step or addition to the lineup. I like to keep it as simple and efficient as possible.

On a side note, I have noticed that the quality of a shave has as much to do with, if not more than, how my skin is feeling at the time, rather than the prep. My prep is always consistent, so I know I’m doing the same thing every time. If I’ve been out in the sun & wind a lot and/or haven’t had enough water, or if I’m feeling run down or really tired, I’ll have a bad shave that will burn, most often with nicks and cuts. If I’m feeling energetic, am well hydrated, and not too stressed, then I’ll have a blissful shave.

Mr.Magnus
10-28-2012, 10:52 AM
im shaving every 3th-day so the skin get use to this type of shaving. if i shave now and wait 2 weeks before i shave again, the shave is not gonna feel as smooth for the skin. and nicks is gonna come easier. IMO

After my last round with you guys about edge quality, I went back to the stones with some new techniques and have a much, much better edge now. Tried a few circles, and spent limited time on the 1k, and more intension on the 4k & 8k. Edge is quite smooth and I'm back to have very smooth shaves. Not saying it's perfect, but it's vastly better than before I f'd it.

Sometimes if I don't feel like making more than one pass, it's still awfully close. Doing a 2nd pass is more for ritual than practicality for me.

I always seem to get a couple nicks in the same place right below the corners of my lips, no matter what I try or how carefully I shave that area. I’m just wondering if a some pre-shave treatment would help. Not really into adding another step or addition to the lineup. I like to keep it as simple and efficient as possible.

On a side note, I have noticed that the quality of a shave has as much to do with, if not more than, how my skin is feeling at the time, rather than the prep. My prep is always consistent, so I know I’m doing the same thing every time. If I’ve been out in the sun & wind a lot and/or haven’t had enough water, or if I’m feeling run down or really tired, I’ll have a bad shave that will burn, most often with nicks and cuts. If I’m feeling energetic, am well hydrated, and not too stressed, then I’ll have a blissful shave.

DwarvenChef
10-29-2012, 01:32 AM
Have I mentioned I hate editing...

Mr.Magnus
10-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Have I mentioned I hate editing...

Have I mentioned i hate waiting for a video.....

:D

tk59
10-29-2012, 06:32 PM
smells like isopropyl alcohol...it's rather distinct.Ethanol and isopropanol have smells but they are volatile enough that the smell is gone in a matter of moments. That's why such compounds are used in perfumes, aftershaves, etc. They are much more volatile than the lingering components. If you're talking about perfume-type deals, alcohol doesn't contribute to the odor you carry around the rest of the day.

tkern
11-01-2012, 07:35 PM

Got a few pictures today from Stefan (mainaman) on refurbing my worm eaten Wade & Butcher.

DwarvenChef
11-02-2012, 02:19 AM
Just put a new edge on the swedish :) About to shoot the follow up :)

DwarvenChef
11-02-2012, 03:45 AM
To long to edit DOH, Just shot the follow up... well most of it... Batt low... Not something you want to see in the middle of shooting...

So after two shaves with this CV Heljestrand (doh no stills...) and putting my own edge on it for the second shave I must say I do like the steel. Feels like the old (1850-90's) stylings of english razors but with a touch of the hardness of the german blades. If this razor was a size or two larger I'd be all over it :p but alas I want to do one more shave with it and get this set of videos finished so it can go to it's new home (I'm just the in-between guy) haha. As sometimes happens I forgot to strop this blade before I started shooting the video. About 4-5 strokes into the shave it dawns on me but it was not feeling bad so I just kept going. No razor burn so why worry about it LOL. I have sence stropped it 60 passes as I normally do off the stones and we will see what the difference that makes.

For both videos I used the same gear, Mike's Natural soap, AoS pure badger brush, CV Heljestrand (5/8?) shower conditioner and so on. When I did the new edge I took it down to the Shapton 3k to check the bevels, they where set fairly well and aside from a couple spots of spit, a vairly clean and un used edge. Next was the mide range (8-10k) Jnat than to the hard asagi (25kish) for the final polish. Because I was pressed for time and the stone felt good on the edge I passed on the nagura. My nagura is still an unmarked (synthetic?) piece so I tend to use it when I'm in a real testing mood, yes I need to get a set of real nagura so I can test properly :(

So that is where I am at the moment, we shall see what tomorow brings :)

Mr.Magnus
11-02-2012, 11:01 AM
great info. hope you have better luck with the camera on the next shave. :) i have a razor for you aswell and this one you get to keep.. ill send it out to you this weekend,:groucho: all im gonna say about it is Swedish.

To long to edit DOH, Just shot the follow up... well most of it... Batt low... Not something you want to see in the middle of shooting...

So after two shaves with this CV Heljestrand (doh no stills...) and putting my own edge on it for the second shave I must say I do like the steel. Feels like the old (1850-90's) stylings of english razors but with a touch of the hardness of the german blades. If this razor was a size or two larger I'd be all over it :p but alas I want to do one more shave with it and get this set of videos finished so it can go to it's new home (I'm just the in-between guy) haha. As sometimes happens I forgot to strop this blade before I started shooting the video. About 4-5 strokes into the shave it dawns on me but it was not feeling bad so I just kept going. No razor burn so why worry about it LOL. I have sence stropped it 60 passes as I normally do off the stones and we will see what the difference that makes.

For both videos I used the same gear, Mike's Natural soap, AoS pure badger brush, CV Heljestrand (5/8?) shower conditioner and so on. When I did the new edge I took it down to the Shapton 3k to check the bevels, they where set fairly well and aside from a couple spots of spit, a vairly clean and un used edge. Next was the mide range (8-10k) Jnat than to the hard asagi (25kish) for the final polish. Because I was pressed for time and the stone felt good on the edge I passed on the nagura. My nagura is still an unmarked (synthetic?) piece so I tend to use it when I'm in a real testing mood, yes I need to get a set of real nagura so I can test properly :(

So that is where I am at the moment, we shall see what tomorow brings :)

Joshua1970
11-02-2012, 12:02 PM
I have been using a straight razor for many years (I started about 1997ish) though I've only this year began collecting them, expanding my soap/cream/brush selections (for 15+ years I had 2 brushes, 2 razors and 2-3 creams which I used regularly - and my honing was all done by local shop and a neighbor once I moved back to Pennsylvania - alas he passed away a year ago this week, which began my pursuit for more razors and ultimately honing)

Most importantly, and the most fun/zen part of the entire straight shaving experience for me now is honing them myself. I am still a neophyte at it, having only started a couple months ago, but it's become an obsession of it's own. I generally don't use tape unless the spinework is fancy and/or I'm honing a full or near wedge or a frameback (often the steel of the frame is softer than the steel of the blade)

it's a deep rabbit hole for sure, but I'm hooked!

there are some truly beautiful razors in this thread, I'll add some pics of some of my more treasured razors at some point.

DwarvenChef
11-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Welcome to the insanity :p

Drool, goodies :) My wife has started looking over the incomming mail again looking for unknown "shippers" hehe seems I've been caught surfing Ebite (and getting scared of W&B $$$) looking for bits and pieces. She didn't axe my ideas yet but I'm waiting for that chopping off of the brain pan... I'm getting the itch to rebuild and polish up my collections again :p

At the moment I'm sitting (ouch) on a Boker Bicycle Race with shattered scales. Older Bokers tend to have bigger scales and nothing I have fits so I have been surfing the bay looking for parts to scavenge again :p I have a nice set of Boker pressed Tree scales on another razor but I have not been able to find out if that type scale was ever used on the BCR razor... If I'm going to put the correct scale on the right blade it darn well better be the correct dated scale/razor match... otherwise it's what ever fits. This blade I want to get as close to period as posable... Ya I know...

Stones... some one just shoot me... I got it in my head a while back that if I'm going to even try to go proffessional (in some way) I should be able to put any finish requested... (see, shoot me please...) So that meens I need a few more stones (as always) in my collection. Plus my only Coticule is an heirloom piece and I only use it for honing the 2 heirloom razors... So obviously I need another coticule :) And a Thurg, and test more JNats... You get the picture...

Right now I'm having to much fun to worry about doing this in a pro setting, than it would become work and I'm not ready for that :p But who knows what the future will bring :)

Mr.Magnus
11-06-2012, 11:48 AM
ZzZzZz

DwarvenChef
11-07-2012, 02:34 AM
Just shot the second remake, I'm jumping on my old comp to use that editing program because the new one is driving me insane...

I tell ya though stropping that swedish (forgot to as mentioned :p) turned it into one sweet shave :)

eaglerock
11-07-2012, 03:41 PM
I have been reading this thread for a while now. you guys never stop giving me this new hobbies, my wife might kill me soon !!

I have been using gillette a long time, but not really happy about them.

Was thinking to switch to electric shaver but my skin is very sensitive.

SR sound much more interesting :D.

I'm a bit lost, where should i start ? was looking at ebay and there is millions of them there :/

Shall i go for something Swedish or american and where to buy ?

What do i need to keep it sharp on the cheap?

Time to go and convince the wife that SR is the best for my skin :whistling:

mainaman
11-07-2012, 03:55 PM
I have been reading this thread for a while now. you guys never stop giving me this new hobbies, my wife might kill me soon !!

I have been using gillette a long time, but not really happy about them.

Was thinking to switch to electric shaver but my skin is very sensitive.

SR sound much more interesting :D.

I'm a bit lost, where should i start ? was looking at ebay and there is millions of them there :/

Shall i go for something Swedish or american and where to buy ?

What do i need to keep it sharp on the cheap?

Time to go and convince the wife that SR is the best for my skin :whistling:Ebay is the worst place to start.
you can get a very nicely priced starter razor/strop/brush soap set from Straight Razor designs, they hone the razors and I think they have a deal of free honing but could be wrong. Here a link http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/straight-razor-wet-shaving-sets
then you learn to shave and strop, that will take time, how long depends on the person. Be warned it is a very deep rabbit hole, razors are more addictive than knives.

DwarvenChef
11-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Even the minimalist can get a good starting set that can carry them through the years, SRD has some great people supporting their sets. A set can be pieced together easy but requires a bit of knowelege of what you like. And that when it gets tricky :p Like most of us here, we like ALOT!!! There is a reason we all have *AD's and straight shaving has a minefield full of them LOL Lucky for me RAD, HAD, SSAD are the only ones that hit me hard, I mean how many shave soaps does one REALLY need???

tk59
11-08-2012, 12:36 AM
It's funny. I don't understand when I'm gonna get hit with and *AD. So far, kitchen knives and stones and then razors. I'm feeling like I have enough razors. Maybe, I'm cured!:bliss:

Dave Martell
11-08-2012, 12:38 AM
Maybe, I'm cured!:bliss:

:haha4:

unkajonet
11-08-2012, 12:46 AM
It's funny. I don't understand when I'm gonna get hit with and *AD. So far, kitchen knives and stones and then razors. I'm feeling like I have enough razors. Maybe, I'm cured!:bliss:

I assure you: you are not.

tk59
11-08-2012, 01:21 AM
Maybe I'm in remission, then.

unkajonet
11-08-2012, 01:26 AM
See previous response...

tk59
11-08-2012, 01:34 AM
You mods are out of control again.

GlassEye
11-08-2012, 01:38 AM
So, I haven't bought any knife related stuff since getting into straight razors, but this is proving far more expensive than cartridge and canned cream. I just got a Star Shaving "Big Daddy" strop yesterday, hoping to try it out tomorrow. May make an order for shave soaps soon, because there is so much I need to try. And then I need a silvertip brush...

mainaman
11-08-2012, 01:48 AM
So, I haven't bought any knife related stuff since getting into straight razors, but this is proving far more expensive than cartridge and canned cream. I just got a Star Shaving "Big Daddy" strop yesterday, hoping to try it out tomorrow. May make an order for shave soaps soon, because there is so much I need to try. And then I need a silvertip brush...
Straight razor shaving can be money saving but only if you buy 1-3 razors and a strop and a brush and cream, and never ever go to razor forums or e-bay or sites that sell razor related products, to look at razors /stones/brushes/creams/strops.
If you do like most of us it is not money saving at all.

GlassEye
11-08-2012, 02:06 AM
Straight razor shaving can be money saving but only if you buy 1-3 razors and a strop and a brush and cream, and never ever go to razor forums or e-bay or sites that sell razor related products, to look at razors /stones/brushes/creams/strops.
If you do like most of us it is not money saving at all.

I am already on the razor forum, and have a list of things I need, and probably need a new J-nat, of course, and...

tk59
11-08-2012, 02:12 AM
...If you do like most of us it is not money saving at all.But then it's called investing, right?