PDA

View Full Version : Knife Collection Point system!

Customfan
08-27-2012, 01:56 PM
:viking:

I was just at the where is Olvind post and got a kick of the Who has the best collection banter that was going on.... and thought it might be fun to devise a points system

One point per knife across the board.....

+ 1 point it your knife has a handle that was not on the knife when new!
+ 3 if you made your own handle
+ 4 If you made your own handle and it has some obscure bone, tusk, copper or unique wood configuration.

+1 if your knife has been posted with awesome pictures on the forums and
+2 if it was reviewed!
+3 If it was owned buy someone else and was modified in some cool way!

+ 1 If you knife was custom made
+2 If it was custom made and had to wait more that 6 months for it!
+3 If it was included in a post as wip by the maker with at least a couple of OOOHSS!! and AHHS!! by thy nuts!!

Any other ideas? so who is winning? :wink:

DeepCSweede
08-27-2012, 02:49 PM
+1 if you are filling a 17 knife rack / mag strip
+2 if you are filling a 25 knife rack / mag strip
+3 if you are filling a 35 knife rack / mag strip

Note - I have a 35 that is no where near full (hint to my wife for bday / christmas)

Lucretia
08-27-2012, 02:52 PM
+10 if you actually use it rather than keep it in a bed of spun wool and polish it occasionally with a soft cloth.

Eamon Burke
08-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Yeah I say +1 for patina or real usage.

VoodooMajik
08-27-2012, 03:21 PM
+10 for actually being used
-10 for having an expensive decoration

Seth
08-27-2012, 03:42 PM
The only problem is that the more you have, the less you use each one. Now I will have to make one cut with each knife each day to score...

DwarvenChef
08-27-2012, 03:54 PM
3 mag bars, 3 knife blocks, 2 drawers... I feel the need for another video using multiple knives to do some task or other :p

DeepCSweede
08-27-2012, 04:11 PM
3 mag bars, 3 knife blocks, 2 drawers... I feel the need for another video using multiple knives to do some task or other :p

I had you in mind when I put that one down.

Mucho Bocho
08-27-2012, 04:41 PM
What about points for steels? +3 for ZDP and -3 for 440 and -12 if you have cutco. + or - 0 if you have still have Ginsu that can still slice a tomato

stevenStefano
08-27-2012, 04:44 PM
+100 if you're left-handed

mr drinky
08-27-2012, 04:53 PM
I would add:

+5 if your collection causes relationship problems
+10 if you have ordered a custom while intoxicated
+15 if you have reached the point that giving away knives seems like a good idea

k.

ThEoRy
08-27-2012, 05:34 PM
+5 for every knife or knife related product you purchased for a friend or loved one.

Crothcipt
08-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Well from the first rehandle pts. I would say we are all very well behind the craftsmen here, even if you have the best collection.:scratchhead::Ooooh:

Cutty Sharp
08-27-2012, 05:53 PM
+5 for any Japanese knife you've actually bought in Japan.
+10 for any knife whose maker you've met in person
NO automatic points for customised handles (often they make knives look cheesy)
NO points for patinas, unless particularly beautiful
+5 if you've scrubbed and polished away like a Japanese and kept any hint of patina or blemishes off your blade

Customfan
08-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Mr. Dinky! The one one about buying while intoxicated almost made me shoot soda through my nose!! that was hilarious! Its funny......... because it is true... .

:zipper:

I knew there would be some awesome ideas coming out of this thread! Im surprised no one has mentioned stuff like...

+ 5 if you have crossed he equator with your knife gear... in one hand and a duck press in another...
+ 10 If you have Crio-tempered your Yanagiba in Antartica!
- 8 If you are on some person of interest watch list for constantly importing suspicious pointy things
+ 4 I you are automatically added to every passaround!
+ 200 if you can dance the Mamushka like Gomez Adams while holding a Blue #2 Watanabe Kiritsuke in your mouth like a pirate!
+ 5 if you are on your last Custom's Maker Christmas card list (+6 if you get a call!)..
+3 You have ever had a serious knife binge next day hangover!

:eek2:

Crothcipt
08-27-2012, 06:15 PM
What they send cards, and call? Dam better than the last date I was on.

apicius9
08-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Well from the first rehandle pts. I would say we are all very well behind the craftsmen here, even if you have the best collection.:scratchhead::Ooooh:

Aahh, you know about the shoemaker's family going barefoot... ;)

+ 10 if you had your knife block or magnet custom made
+ 10 for every knife with a Fish handle
- 5 for every knife you had forgotten about that you find while adding up points

I would say -5 for every knife with rust spots, but that would kick me right out of the competition...

Stefan

pitonboy
08-27-2012, 07:18 PM
+10 if you actually use it rather than keep it in a bed of spun wool and polish it occasionally with a soft cloth.

+1 although I have a couple that haven't seen the inside of a kitchen

ecchef
08-27-2012, 10:26 PM
+5 if you've actually named all your knives.
+10 if you keep your top 2 seperated so they won't get jealous.

Josh
08-27-2012, 10:38 PM
+5 if you have designated pass-arounds for your friends and family
+10 if you have a knife for your better half to use (so they don't touch the collection)
+15 if you have a knife for each kid, and those knives have as much patina as your go to knife
+20 if your kids sharpen their own knives

Larrin
08-27-2012, 10:52 PM
I think you should get negative points for rehandles since you're buying knives with poor handles I begin with.

Edit: at the very best it would balance out to zero.

Salty dog
08-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Score it like you will.

End of story.

JasonD
08-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Re: Larrin-
Hey, now. Everyone's got a history, but there's nothing wrong with buying your new lady some new shoes.

Salty dog
08-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Unless those shoes cause her pain, which means she will be testy. Then she'll want a fresh young patina. Then she'll want to be groomed perfectly and perpetually.

Then you realize after all that investment you want something new.

JohnnyChance
08-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Why not just a point for every dollar you have spent? Or does that take the fun out of it?

JasonD
08-27-2012, 11:50 PM
No, no, no. We need negative points for unused knives (or something else) otherise I'm pretty sure Salty just wins by default.

DwarvenChef
08-28-2012, 04:23 AM
+5 if you have designated pass-arounds for your friends and family
+10 if you have a knife for your better half to use (so they don't touch the collection)
+15 if you have a knife for each kid, and those knives have as much patina as your go to knife
+20 if your kids sharpen their own knives

Wow my set I got from Butch for the wife and kid just racked me up some serious points :p

Cutty Sharp
08-28-2012, 04:53 AM
I think you should get negative points for rehandles since you're buying knives with poor handles I begin with.

Often not. People are just anti-ho and like to dress up their blades. Keep it ho.

Dream Burls
08-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Nothing new to add here, just an observation: some of you guy's wit are as sharp as your knives. Keep em coming.

Cutty Sharp
08-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Right, then. +5 for any quality examples of razor wit.

knyfeknerd
08-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Wait, where da ho's at? Someone was a talking about ho's.

Customfan
08-28-2012, 08:44 PM
ok... ok.... got a few more! :cool2:

+5 points if you can find a picture while observing with intent at your random damascus gyuto (Kind of like those laser prints of the 90's).
+10 If you can prove it!
+7 If your knife has a very creative name from a heroic classic novel from Greece ...
+10 if its mythological! think... Ares! or the Quimera! and you really believe its that creature.
+ Up 1 point every time you've upgraded in size for that knife...
+ 15 If your neighbors avoid you because "he's the weird guy with all of those knives"
+ 3 per knife that has a very particular stone configuration sequence of stones that no other knife in the universe uses!
+ 5 If you chant while sharpening freehand!
+4 If you hunt for your own natural sharpening stones
+ 4 If your arms are completely bald from testing your knives sharpness.

chinacats
08-28-2012, 09:56 PM
+ 5 If you chant while sharpening freehand!

Doesn't everyone?

Cutty Sharp
08-28-2012, 11:12 PM
+5 points if you can find a picture while observing with intent at your random damascus gyuto (Kind of like those laser prints of the 90's).
+ 15 If your neighbors avoid you because "he's the weird guy with all of those knives"
+4 If you hunt for your own natural sharpening stones

Excellent!

Also, +5 if you now devise a scoring card to keep track of your points. +10 if you prepare a database

'Ho'? That was me. +2 if you know what that means, and that it's not THAT type of ho

knyfeknerd
08-28-2012, 11:22 PM
'Ho'? That was me. +2 if you know what that means, and that it's not THAT type of ho

I'm so disappointed..........
I DO KNOW what da ho is, again my attempt at humor is sorely recieved.
On the plus side, +2 pts for me !!!!!

Cutty Sharp
08-29-2012, 12:49 AM
I'm so disappointed..........I DO KNOW what da ho is, again my attempt at humor is sorely recieved.On the plus side, +2 pts for me !!!!!

Yes, 2 points for you and, don't worry, your joke was understood.

+4 for any instances of comprehending knife humour

JasonD
08-29-2012, 08:09 AM
+10 for every custom crafted cardboard storage device. Right?? Guys?

jayhay
08-29-2012, 10:04 AM

^ Lol this for sure. And another +5 if your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't mind or give you shite about your hairless arms.

Lucretia
08-29-2012, 11:51 AM
+10 for every custom crafted cardboard storage device. Right?? Guys?

+5 if it's got duct tape holding it together.

+3 if your formerly furry pets run when they see you coming with a knife.

bathonuk
11-29-2012, 03:33 PM
^ Lol this for sure. And another +5 if your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't mind or give you shite about your hairless arms.

Yeah! And another +5 if your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend's arms and legs are bald because of you:D