PDA

View Full Version : Screw-up..with

RRLOVER
09-21-2012, 06:46 AM
http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t359/mario164/001_zpsa159b30e.jpg

I did a late-night blade mounting,first mistake.I thought the epoxy was set up,but when I went to check the blade in the morning it had slumped forward.The handle looks funky angled down and I am in the process of replacing it now.I really had to test this out as it looked funky but felt good on the board.When the edge of the blade is at full contact with the board the handle is parallel with the board.It just seems more ergonomic to me.Any thoughts on handle placement would be great.Thanx

Von blewitt
09-21-2012, 07:29 AM
I like it! Especially if like you say the ergonomics are better! It kind of has the same arc as a Kramer IMO

knyfeknerd
09-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Broida has a thread here somewhere about handle angle preferences, etc. I like my tip up a little.
BTW, knife looks great Mario

Lefty
09-21-2012, 08:53 AM
The knife looks great, to be honest.

I just came up with a theory: if the butt of the handle is angled down, it is likely more ergo-friendly for guys who aren't quite as tall, while butt up is better for taller guys. This would be a result of where the board meets up with the person cutting. To further explain this, when I cut, at most counter tops, with the board, the food is just about hip height, while for a shorter guy, it might be at his belly button, or even higher. For the shorter person, an angled down butt of the handle would allow the elbow to stay in a more neutral position, rather than being rammed up towards the sky to compensate for the angle.

Did that make any sense at all?

sachem allison
09-21-2012, 02:13 PM
it made sense halfway through then everything started getting blurry. It could be the drugs. Lefty, think 1960's China town special heading your way.

Bulldogbacchus
09-21-2012, 02:18 PM
If your screw ups look that good, you've nothing to worry about.

GlassEye
09-21-2012, 02:28 PM
You should have pretended that was intentional. I say leave it as is.

WillC
09-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Bum, ah well these things happen, you won't be happy till its on right, I know the feeling.. .Love the new Logo, quite tribal:viking:

Eamon Burke
09-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Depends on how you hold the knife. I hold very little handle in hand, so angling down is not good for me.

stevenStefano
09-21-2012, 03:55 PM
I'd leave it. Sometimes good things happen unintentionally. Maybe the new owner loves it the way it is and you've discovered a whole new way of mounting your handles?

I know it sounds dumb but could you perhaps shave a little off the handle now to accentuate the curve?

Burl Source
09-22-2012, 01:31 PM
If you haven't changed it, I would say leave it as it is.
I am sure the new owner will be happy with it.
I heard he's not the brightest light on the tree anyways.

BTW: beautiful handle. I like the amboyna and bog oak together like that.