PDA

View Full Version : something beautiful

sachem allison
10-10-2012, 01:51 AM
I have been talking to a maker in Estonia for a little while now and we are working on a project for a custom 210mm gyuto, It will be a little while before we get it all figured out. Right now he is getting ready to put into production a 180mm version, it is made of Niolox. I figured I'd give you guys a little teaser, as this probably won't get done til the beginning of the year. It's going to be pretty. These are single bevels at 2.4mm spine thickness. I can't wait, so many projects, so little time.lol

ecchef
10-10-2012, 01:57 AM
Inneresting...

sachem allison
10-10-2012, 02:00 AM
That's what I said when I first saw it. He said, no one ever asked for a bigger one before. I being me, had to have one. we will see what comes of it.

chinacats
10-10-2012, 02:03 AM
That has to be one of the most interesting 'd?' handles I have ever seen. Have you used one chef?

The Edge
10-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Reminds me of a honesuki.

Benuser
10-10-2012, 02:24 AM
How about the grinding? In the second picture, is one the right hand version and the other the left hand one, or is the grinding symmetric??

sachem allison
10-10-2012, 03:10 AM
one is left and one is right, he doesn't make a double bevel version.

sachem allison
10-10-2012, 03:16 AM
That has to be one of the most interesting 'd?' handles I have ever seen. Have you used one chef?

No, I haven't used one yet, but I have used similar shaped handles before and they are quite comfortable. If you look at the first picture with the apple that is actually a left handed knife and the belly of the curve actually faces the palm which feels right in the hand, but doesn't make sense visually. I used to make my antler handled knives that way.

Benuser
10-10-2012, 03:50 AM
one is left and one is right, he doesn't make a double bevel version.
Thank you Son, I'm reassured...in fact, my question was stupid: the third pic makes it obvious.

JasonD
10-10-2012, 04:59 AM
Man that thing is aesthetically beautiful. I hope the handle is nice to use as well. It's always nice to see things a little different.

Salty dog
10-10-2012, 07:42 AM
Pretty handle but the way I hold a knife that sure looks like a righty.

Lefty
10-10-2012, 07:58 AM
I've never understood how d handles aren't ok for both righties and lefties. I've used so many right-handed d's, I almost forget which is which. Both are comfortable, if you ask me. As for this one, it's hard to tell without holding it. However, it's a really nice looking knife, and I appreciate that element. Is it a true single bevel, it's hard to tell if there's an ura or not.

Dusty
10-10-2012, 10:56 AM
I love the profile.

Lucretia
10-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Beautiful!

DeepCSweede
10-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Very interesting presentation - definitely visually appealing. Can't wait to see the final product Son.

bikehunter
10-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Can't wait to see the final product Son.

Yes. Please keep us posted on this thread.

sachem allison
05-21-2013, 02:53 AM
Well, I have been waiting on this for awhile and after many issues with international wire transfers and God awful bank fees it finally arrived today and it's a duzzy. It is made of Niolox and is super thin behind the blade. It is right hand biased and after some adjustments the handle is more Chef friendly and less curvy. I has a very unique finish almost granite like.It is very uniquely shaped and I don't think anyone well ever confuse it with theirs. It is just right for a small line knife and I used it to trim some NY Strip Primals today and it just breezed right through them. Fit and finish is inpeccable. The only thing that I noticed is that the tip has a little tiny birds beak thing going on, I don't think its a problem and will be gone in a session or to on the stones. Out of the box edge is pretty impressive. All in all a pretty damn fine kitchen knife from a non kitchen knife maker. I'll use it for a month and make a further review on edge retention and stiction, food release. I actually left it at work so, I'll give dimensions in a few days. By the way the Maker is from Estonia and his name is Tonu Arrak.

Crothcipt
05-21-2013, 03:50 AM
Def. something different. Nice intro to a new maker Son. Very stunning knife.

Notaskinnychef
05-21-2013, 08:12 AM
looks awesome. I've never used a single bevel before, don't know if i will, but this looks great

knyfeknerd
05-21-2013, 08:13 AM
Nice!
But Damn! You had to put that bell in the picture? All I can think is DING DING DING !!!!
Pick it up!
Pick it up!
Photobombed by the bell......

Von blewitt
05-21-2013, 08:55 AM
Very cool Son! Lots of new toys lately... Good on ya, you deserve em!

DevinT
05-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Son, the finish on that knife is the hot rolled and pickled finish on the steel as it comes from the mill. Most likely put to a wire wheel after heat treating.

Beautiful knife! Single bevel and hollow ground. Fun.

Hoss

Colorado_cutter
05-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Very nice knives!

joels747
05-27-2013, 01:35 PM
This looks like a work of art.

Is there a price tag already?