PDA

View Full Version : What should I buy?

jacbo3003
10-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Hi,this is my first post on forum. I have researched a bit and have a few ideas on what I am looking for and would like a little guidance.

From the questions in the sticky post:
What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
240mm wa-gyuto for me, ~180mm Santoku my signifigant other really wants (western handled), A petty knife , and one of those cheap victorinox paring knives which I hear about but am unsure which model
Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
Replacing various Chicago cutlery in a knife block (was free)
What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- look cheap
Edge Quality/Retention- crap edge
Ease of Use- serrated and dull make for a terrible cutting experience
Comfort- no complaints
What grip do you use? pinch grip
What kind of cutting motion do you use? for the most part push-cutting but occasionally pull
Where do you store them? knife block, but I'm throwing that out as soon as new knives come in. I will probably get a magnetic block of some sort
Have you ever oiled a handle? no, but I'm willing
What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? bamboo
For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? nothing, all blades are serrated junk
Have they ever been sharpened? no
What is your budget? ~450-500, cheaper is better for me but I want to have something that will last, with good f&f
What do you cook and how often? vegetables, meat, fish, fruit occasionally
Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?

like I said above I have done a little research and this is what I am thinking. Just need a little direction or hand holding, lol.

Hattori HD or FH series
CarboNext
Gesshin Ginga gyuto 240
or I can just pick a JCK knife set

How do the two lines of Hattori compare to each other, and the CarboNext?
What would you all reccomend for a first time knife buyer? I will be new to the wa handle style on the Gesshin. I will also be new to sharpening.

jacbo3003
10-15-2012, 01:03 AM
After thinking it over I think I may be going with the following:

Hattori HD : 170mm Santoku, and 135mm Petty

CarboNext: Gyuto 240mm

Victorinox: 3 1/2 " parer

and a set of sharpening stones. I guess the Gesshin will have to wait. How does this sound?

chinacats
10-15-2012, 02:14 AM
Welcome! Good luck in your search!

wenus2
10-15-2012, 04:13 AM
That's a good budget setup.
A smart place to start.

jaybett
10-15-2012, 06:11 AM
Welcome to the forums.

The Hattori Forum series have been out for a while, and there is a wide variety of opinions on their performance. The forum series, works very well for my cutting style. I prefer a knife that is not too thin or thick. The forum series strikes a nice balance, between the two. The handle is probably the most comfortable one, on a production knife. The steel sharpens easily and takes a good edge. More then likely, its the great handle, that makes the Hattori feel very natural to use. As much as I like the Forum series, others have commented that they don't care for the profile, or the way the knife cuts. It all comes down to personal preference.

The Carbonext has a reputation for being one of the best values on the market. It is a lot of knife for the money.

The knifes you are looking at would be a good set for the home kitchen.

Jay

pitonboy
10-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Would be a good combo, if only to begin to introduce yourself to the world of quality knives

eaglerock
10-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Sound good but why do you need Gyuto and Santoku? maybe it is better to get a nikiri instead of Santoku.

Johnny.B.Good
10-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Sound good but why do you need Gyuto and Santoku?

His better half wants one (which would be reason enough for me to buy one!).

jaybett
10-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Sometimes, phrases are used such as "good for a home cook", that might be off putting to a new member. The assumption being that if a knife is not good in a pro setting, then somehow it is lacking. Restaurant kitchens have to follow a number of regulations. Sanitary cutting boards are tough on edges. A cook in a pro kitchen is concerned about getting through large amounts of prep work as fast as possible. They also have to deal with co-workers borrowing, abusing, and stealing their knives. A home cook doesn't have to worry about these issues, so they can use any style of knife.

The Santoku your significant other wants, is a good home knife. Its size makes it an easy and nimble knife to use. The wide blade works well for scooping up food. A cook in a pro kitchen, would not want a Santoku, its small size, is a draw back in prepping large amounts of veggies. The big criticism of the Santoku is its wide tip. On veggies, who needs a needs a tip? Meats, need an agile tip, to follow the curves of bones and muscles. Most pro cooks will use a petty to prep meat.

One of your requirements was a knife with good fit and finish. The Hattori Forum knives are one of the top knives, if not the best, in fit and finish. It would probably take a custom knife to surpass a Hattori KF. The handle is easily one of the best out there. A well designed handle makes a real difference in how a knife performs.

A criticism of the Hattori KF, is that it doesn't cut as well as other knifes in its price range. How well a knife cuts is very subjective. Among the gyutos, sujihikis, and cleavers, that I own, I am unable to detect a noticeable difference between them and the Hattoris. The Hattoris as far as I can tell in performance are in the same league as knives costing twice as much.

A common misnomer is a knife that costs twice as much, well perform twice as well. A more expensive knife may have a better grind or fit and finish, but its performance increase may be only 5 - 10 percent over the less expensive knife. Which is a significant increase, but is it worth it? Only the buyer can made that decision.

I haven't used a Carbonext, but they are well regarded on the forum, so I would not hesitate to purchase one. I will probably pick up a sujihiki, from this line, in the next few months.

Jay

chinacats
10-15-2012, 04:28 PM
I seem to remember some discussion as to whether or not the Carbonext were being shipped with a very good/sharp edge, most here would not mind but if you are new to sharpening it may be something to research a bit.

eaglerock
10-15-2012, 06:57 PM
His better half wants one (which would be reason enough for me to buy one!).

Sorry i didn't notice that before. If my wife wants one, ill buy it for her too :D

jacbo3003
10-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Thank you all for the warm welcome, and your insights. I pulled the trigger and ordered a CarboNext 240mm Gyuto, Hattori HF 170mm Santoku, Hattori HD 135mm Petty, and lastly a 3 1/2" victorinox parer. Yeah my wife wanted the Santoku otherwise I would've skipped over getting it. I think I will be sending any of the knives that don't have a good out of box edge to get sharpened, and then buying a few stones so I can try and maintain the edges from there.

Johnny.B.Good
10-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Congrats, and welcome to the forum.

wenus2
10-16-2012, 06:02 AM
Down the rabbit hole with another one!

Congrats.

pitonboy
10-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Down the rabbit hole with another one!

Congrats.

+1:lol2: