PDA

View Full Version : Cocktails

agp
10-21-2012, 12:53 PM
What are your favorite cocktail recipes? I am looking for some ideas for a get together I am having next week :biggrin: Cheers

mc2442
10-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Ice, Jack, a little diet coke

SpikeC
10-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Dry Manhatten.

GlassEye
10-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Gin, soda, lime.
Whiskey.
If I do a cocktail, it is usually based on what I have in the house, often contains alcohol, sour, sweet.

El Pescador
10-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Tequilla anejo, sour orange, soda over ice.

Chifunda
10-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Classic martini:

Bombay gin / Noilly Prat dry vermouth, 4:1

Three olives.

Stirred, never shaken.

If it's made with vodka, it ain't a martini! :razz:

EdipisReks
10-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Classic martini:

Bombay gin / Noilly Prat dry vermouth, 4:1

Three olives.

Stirred, never shaken.

If it's made with vodka, it ain't a martini! :razz:

hard to beat that.

ecchef
10-21-2012, 10:45 PM
hard to beat that.

Almost perfect. For me, Hendricks gin.

Negronis are also pretty tasty.

agp
10-21-2012, 11:12 PM
These are all great suggestions, but I'm looking for something that people who do not usually drink alcoholic beverages will enjoy. Personally, I think martinis and gin drinks are acquired tastes.

Bulldogbacchus
10-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Woodford Reserve, ice,

chinacats
10-21-2012, 11:38 PM

Or for me that would be Beefeater...

Chifunda
10-21-2012, 11:57 PM
Woodford Reserve, ice,

I do love Woodford, but given my retired status and resultant level of poverty, I'm reduced to drinking Evan Williams with my ice. Any port in a storm. :laugh:

Von blewitt
10-21-2012, 11:59 PM
+ 1 for Negronis! You've got to love a drink that was invented by replacing soda with gin!

Chifunda
10-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Or for me that would be Beefeater...

Variations on a theme, fellow brothers of the juniper berry! It's all good.:thumbsup:

SpikeC
10-22-2012, 12:00 AM
For those that don't drink a lot of cocktails, gin and tonic is hard to beat. If they want sweet, rum and coke. Or maybe long island ice tea.

mr drinky
10-22-2012, 12:19 AM
A jigger of Hendricks Gin, just shy a jigger of St. Germain, half of a lime squeezed. Shake, pour and consume.

k.

Lucretia
10-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Personally I like bourbon and gingerale. But for non-drinkers, a Sloe Gin Fizz or Fuzzy Navel can be good ones.

ecchef
10-22-2012, 12:33 AM
A jigger of Hendricks Gin, just shy a jigger of St. Germain, half of a lime squeezed. Shake, pour and consume.

k.

I've been substituting a local citrus, shiquasa, for the lime. Verrry tasty. Gotta give S.t Germaim a try.

The Edge
10-22-2012, 12:47 AM
Besides rum and coke, and gin and tonic. I'd go with a mudslide (2 parts Kahlua, 2 parts Irish Cream, 1 part milk). To give it a seasonal flare, you can always substitute those flavored creamers they use for coffee to change things up. Right now I'd make it with pumpkin spice. Either serve on the rocks, or blend to make an alcoholic smoothy.

agp
10-23-2012, 06:46 PM
I do love St. Germaine. I use it on a regular basis for drinks.

I will try out some of these recipes, thanks all!

agp
10-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Also, I got some saffron infused vodka. What can I make with that?

DeepCSweede
10-23-2012, 07:09 PM

k.

I am not too far off on that one - mine is 5:1 ratio of Hendricks to St. Germain cut three or four slices of cucumber and shake, pour and consume.

I find St. Germain to be a little too sweet for my taste, but then I drink most gin on the rocks.

mr drinky
10-23-2012, 07:26 PM
I am not too far off on that one - mine is 5:1 ratio of Hendricks to St. Germain cut three or four slices of cucumber and shake, pour and consume.

I find St. Germain to be a little too sweet for my taste, but then I drink most gin on the rocks.

I agree that it can be too sweet. Sometimes I only put a splash in but I usually lean more towards a 2:1 ratio myself, though when I make it for others I make it just shy of 1:1. The lime does cut the sweetness a bit.

Maybe I should do a multiple ratio comparison with myself to figure this out :)

k.

Bulldogbacchus
10-23-2012, 07:29 PM
I Any port in a storm. :laugh:

I agree. Any port..... Especially if you have some Stilton (or similar) and some toasted walnuts. :doublethumbsup:

mmingio2
10-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Juice of one lemon, 1-2 tbs simple syrup, 2 oz of your favorite bourbon. Top with a curl of lemon rind and a maraschino cherry.

Chifunda
10-23-2012, 09:25 PM
I agree. Any port..... Especially if you have some Stilton (or similar) and some toasted walnuts. :doublethumbsup:

:word:

And maybe a nice Partagas Black Label or Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970, just to complete the sybaritic scenario. :happymug:

Xuster
10-23-2012, 09:50 PM
I've never been able to tell the difference between stirred and shaken...what does shaking do that changes the taste anyways? (In reference to Gin martinis)

JohnnyChance
10-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Junglebird:
1.5oz Cruzan Black Strap Rum
1.5oz Fresh Pineapple Juice
.75oz Campari
.5oz lime juice
.5oz simple syrup
Sprig of mint for garnish.

Combine all (except mint) in shaker with ice. Shake vigorously. Strain into old fashioned glass with fresh ice. Hold mint sprig in one hand and lightly bruise it against your other palm with a few slaps. Break off the stem of the sprig if it is too long, stick the shortened bunch into the glass. Serve without as*straw so you get a nose full of mint w each sip.

Sounds sweet, but it's very nicely balanced and drys out on the finish.

El Pescador
10-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Just sat down to a Dark and Stormy-

Dark rum( I like Myers) and ginger beer over ice. reminds me of day spent floating around the Caribbean....

DeepCSweede
10-23-2012, 11:29 PM
I've never been able to tell the difference between stirred and shaken...what does shaking do that changes the taste anyways? (In reference to Gin martinis)

The thinking is that shaking disrupts the botanicals in the gin where stirring simply cools and disperses some water from the ice. I have never done a taste test but that may be a scientific adventure worth taking.

Chifunda
10-23-2012, 11:33 PM

To me it's primarily an esthetic / visual effect. Shaking introduces small shards of ice and air, which spoils the pleasing clarity of a well made martini. If you put a gun to my head, I doubt I could taste the difference. Especially after the second one. :dazed:

Xuster
10-23-2012, 11:41 PM
To me it's primarily an esthetic / visual effect. Shaking introduces small shards of ice and air, which spoils the pleasing clarity of a well made martini. If you put a gun to my head, I doubt I could taste the difference. Especially after the second one. :dazed:

Well there's the concept of "bruising the alcohol," whatever that means. But people do claim that shaken martinis have a bit more of a bite and therefore is inferior. And I also just dropped a lot of money on another pair of earphones cause the bass must be that much clearer :scratchhead: yea, stirring the martini is way cheaper...

Bulldogbacchus
10-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Martinis do have there place.....

" I love a martini - but two at the most. Three I'm under the table; four, I'm under the host." - Dorothy Parker

mr drinky
10-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Well, for all of us into Japanese knives, it doesn't seem a far step to get into Japanese cocktail technique. Here is the famous master mixologist from Japan, Kazuo Uyeda, doing his hard shake. Pretty cool. If I could do that and not look like a complete idiot, I would shake everything -- I'd probably shake my milk before pouring it into my cereal ;)

k.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yMoYhYZF4o

apicius9
10-24-2012, 12:08 AM

" I love a martini - but two at the most. Three I'm under the table; four, I'm under the host." - Dorothy Parker

So, if I go out with a lady and order eight martinis - is that too obvious?

I'm also more on the conservative side when it comes to cocktails. Martinis, mint juleps, caipirinhas, mojitos, gin tonics, that's about it.

Stefan

agp
10-24-2012, 07:42 AM
Back my question - I got some saffron infused vodka. What can I make with that?

mr drinky
10-24-2012, 09:08 AM

I myself don't have an idea, but one of the mixologists on eGullet had this drink with saffron vodka. It was an original of hers.

Law of Desire
1.5 oz saffron vodka
.75 oz Licor 43
.25 oz Southern Comfort
.25 oz sour mix

Shake all into up glass, add pinch chili threads for garnish.

k.

Chifunda
10-24-2012, 09:21 AM

My office in New York was on 44th Street, diagonally across from the Algonquin Hotel. I've enjoyed more than a few martinis at the site of Ms. Parker's famous Round Table luncheons. http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/m/martini-drinking-emoticon.gif

megapuff5
10-24-2012, 02:18 PM
What are your favorite cocktail recipes? I am looking for some ideas for a get together I am having next week :biggrin: Cheers

Chocolate martini. 2 oz cacao nib infused vodka, 2oz creme de cacao, 1oz vanilla vodka, 1oz grand marnier, 1tbs cacao powder. shake and pour into a martini glass dust cacao powder on top

Mike9
10-24-2012, 04:25 PM

If you have a juicer here's what I would do:

Juice:
1 lemon
1 lime
1 big whack of ginger
1 jalapeno pepper
1 fist full of cilantro

Use that + the infused vodka for a killer Bloody Mary.

MichaelCampbell
04-26-2013, 04:04 AM
Woodford reserve,Bombay gin,Ice over soda .... :IMOK:

bear1889
04-26-2013, 12:47 PM

Negronis are also pretty tasty.

Juniperos Gin Made by anchor steam.

panda
04-27-2013, 02:48 PM
pandamonium:
absolut pears vodka
full throttle citrus energy drink
cran-apple juice
wedge of lime

pink drink:
bacardi limon
minute maid mixberry juice
orange juice
slice of orange

Troy G
04-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Ice, Jack, a little diet coke

Good choice. I usually do lots of ice, Jack, Coke, wedge of lemon, enjoy.

My other go to would be Vodka, bar lime, and Sprite or 7-Up.

Mike9
04-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Well since it was a show day I'm enjoying a double scotch chased with dogfish head 60 - 'nuff said . . .