PDA

View Full Version : Straight Razor Starter Kit Suggestions

mhenry
10-23-2012, 10:46 PM
What would you guys recommend as a good quality straight razor for a newbie? This will be my first, not looking to break the bank on this around $200.00 for a complete kit if that is possible. I also want something I am not going to grow out of too soon either.
Thanks

PierreRodrigue
10-23-2012, 10:49 PM
I wish I asked this question a while ago! This craft is as spendy as knives! I have 4 straights already, and always looking. Good luck, there is no doubt you can get started for under $200 all in, but that is like Pandora saying I'll only open the box a little!

Xuster
10-23-2012, 11:03 PM
I would look on badger and blade's b/s/t forum, there's always starter kits on there for good prices.

Lefty
10-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Hahaha. Well put, Pierre.

PM sent. :)

GlassEye
10-24-2012, 12:10 AM
One of the common recommendations is whippeddog.com, he does a starter kit for a very reasonable price. Yes to what Pierre said.

I have just started this straight razor thing, and can already see that it will cost me more than it needs to.

Lefty
10-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Agreed...at the start. However, if you're "smart" about it, and even only somewhat smart about it, you can spend much, much less than you would with regular "goo from a can, 42 blades in one cartridge, normal person" shaving.

I've found razors I love and other than a couple that I have my eye on (you know who you are), I doubt I'll buy a razor for quite a while. My vice is brushes. If I could own every Simpson brush in production, I would...same goes for Omega, Thater and Vie-Long. It's stupid...haha. However, my wife actually commented on how little I've bought for myself, lately. For that comment, I'm rewarding myself with Murray Carter's Blacksmithing book. :)

tkern
10-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Worcester and Co. makes a nice straight thats inexpensive and very well made. I just got into this too and thats what I got from Whipped dog and I like it.

Plus some shave soap from Tom's site and you're all set.

Lefty
10-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Out of stock, at the moment, but thanks :)

There are many great products out there, and awesome vendors to boot!