PDA

View Full Version : WTB - Slicing Knife

skiajl6297
10-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Now that I have a Gyuto (Blazen 240) and a Parer (Del) I am considering what I want to ask my wife for for Christmas. :O

I clearly have the bug. As a home cook, I am trying to address my most frequent needs. I think I have two remaining gaps to fill, aside from things I just want out of lust.

I am looking for a recomendation for a good slicing knife. I know this is a bit vague, but primarily, I am looking for a knife that would be best suited for slicing meats. I'm thinking something to carve the turkey, something to carve slices of skirt steak, something to carve slices of roast leg of lamb, something to slice london broil, etc. I do not frequently cut raw fish, nor do I expect to. I'd also like this knife to be a good prep knife for various cuts of meat - prepping roasts, silverskin removal, breaking down larger cuts of beef, pork, etc. I am not looking to spend a fortune, and want to keep this knife at or below $200.

Is this the type of chance to go for a single bevel knife? I am working on my sharpening skills, and will also be asking for a stone or two in the 3000-5000 range. I do not yet own a carbon knife - is this my chance to get on board? I am not afraid of patina, but wonder about reactivity. Not opposed to stainless.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Also, aside from my finding something used on the BST thread, I'd like to be able to show it to my wife in some meaningful way - online with pictures. Thanks all! Looking forward to hearing suggestions.

PS - next "needs" are a cleaver and a straight razor. Because I "need" both. :laugh:

Lefty
10-26-2012, 11:59 AM
The BST is yor best bet, for sure, but it's tough to time when your wife is the one buying it for you. In my opinion, you should go carbon suji. Sujis are born with the God given right to patinate and look extra awesome while doing so. Botfly forms a beautiful patina quite like warm, rare skirt steak!

As for brands and styles, this is where it gets tricky...I love Misono Swedes, while others are funny about them (not sure why). And at about $200...hmmm. What does Sakai Yusuke have from bluewayjapan, right now? Anything over 270mm would really jack the price up, and unless you're doing huge cuts of meat, I think is a bit overkill for a home cook. Again, I might be in the minority here, but I kinda doubt it.

Have fun reading the recs!

eaglerock
10-26-2012, 12:22 PM
270mm misono dragon Sujihiki would be nice :D

Pensacola Tiger
10-26-2012, 12:43 PM
One of the best values in a carbon sujihiki is the Suisin HC from Korin. It takes a nice looking patina, is easy to get a good edge on and won't break your budget.

http://korin.com/High-Carbon-Steel-Sujihiki?sc=27&category=280062

I have one and I'll be glad to post pics. Just let me know.

Rick

Justin0505
10-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Suji or a long gyuto sounds like what you're looking for.
If you can find one that you like on BST, you will get a lot more knife for your (wife's) money.

Depending on your hand size, this may be a good fit:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/8623-Masamoto-VG-270-mm-Suji-NEW-FOR-Sale-again

Theres also a huge, badass 360mm gyuto for sale for under $ 200, but it might be bigger than you want.

Lefty
10-26-2012, 12:59 PM
I like Rick's suggestion A LOT!

skiajl6297
10-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Suji looks like the right way to go. Rick - I'd love to see it if it isn't too much trouble. Really appreciate it. I do have large hands, so worry about the BST deal posted - but it is a gorgeous knife for a good deal. Do wa style suji's run more than the western? I still have yet to own a wa handle, but am interested. Also saw that some unique suji's will be at the booth at the DC Food & Cooking Expo - might need to take a looksee. (Afraid what that might do to the budget however.)

skiajl6297
11-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Quick update - I will soon be the proud owner of the 270mm Zakuri Special Edition Sujihiki - Super Blue knife that Ben was selling in his Winter Knife Sale on the BST forum! I had been spying the knife on Jon's website for some time, and this deal just popped up, and I was lucky enough to see it quickly. I am very excited to try this baby out, and an early xmas present for me! The knife collection is slowly growing! I will report back with my impressions - will put it to task for Thanksgiving! Thanks all for your thoughts - looking forward to some protein slicing!:knife:

Zwiefel
11-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Quick update - I will soon be the proud owner of the 270mm Zakuri Special Edition Sujihiki - Super Blue knife that Ben was selling in his Winter Knife Sale on the BST forum! I had been spying the knife on Jon's website for some time, and this deal just popped up, and I was lucky enough to see it quickly. I am very excited to try this baby out, and an early xmas present for me! The knife collection is slowly growing! I will report back with my impressions - will put it to task for Thanksgiving! Thanks all for your thoughts - looking forward to some protein slicing!:knife:

thank you for removing this temptation from the BST! :)

Hope you enjoy it...post a report once you've had the chance to play with it?

makanouchi
11-19-2012, 05:25 PM
That turkey will have an elegant death by Sujihiki.

Pensacola Tiger
11-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Congratulations! That is a great knife you picked up.

skiajl6297
11-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Just got it. I think I freaked my wife out with such a large knife. Will put it through the test Thursday! Face value - it's a beaut!