PDA

View Full Version : WIP Million layer revisited!

HHH Knives
11-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Hello everyone, Randy Jr is at it again!! :pirate1:

Were having a visitor from Canada this week (Monday and Tuesday) and if all goes well, By the end of the day Tuesday we will have this billet competed!

Ill post a few pictures and the "plan" later tonight! :thumbsup:

kalaeb
11-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Hmm, Canadian visitor ehh? Tell him I should have a package in the mail for him by Saturday. lol

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.

cclin
11-04-2012, 04:22 PM
looking forward to see your new work!!

Eamon Burke
11-04-2012, 05:52 PM
What is Randy going to do differently this time? What did he learn from marathoning this thing before?

HHH Knives
11-04-2012, 09:40 PM
LOL, Yep some left handed Knife Knut!!

Lefty
11-04-2012, 10:03 PM
I can't count to a million, but I sure hope Jr. can. :D

This is gonna be amazing!!!

HHH Knives
11-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Tomorrow morning we will start. The goal is to forge out these 3 materials into a MILLION+++ Layer Billet.

Hes starting out with a 51 layer stack. composed of 3 materials. 1080, 15n20, and some Band saw blade steel!

I have been testing the band saw steel.
So far Im digging the stuff. And the resulting HT and RC have shown it to be a great steel for making damascus or used alone as a knife!

Some have speculated its to be 15n20. Which it is not.
Some said L-6.. I dont think it is that either?
What I do know.. It passes all the tests I have for what makes a good blade and can be heat treated and tempered to 61. It takes and hold a good edge. Enough said!

I would love to send a piece in or take it somewhere to have it tested. If anyone knows where I can send this to have it tested. or the ability to test it for me. Please let me know!

Heres the stuff! 51 pieces which is the start of this million + layer billet!

More to come soon!
Randy

HHH Knives
11-04-2012, 10:28 PM
What is Randy going to do differently this time? What did he learn from marathoning this thing before?

Last time was a HUGE success. and I will be starting on the knife from the first million layer billet this month! :D good things take time..

I will ask him if there is anything he would of done different tomorrow.
This time we are using 3 different steels rather then 2.
Also Jr is talking about patterning this bar. Possibly the highest layer W billet ever. Or doing a twist.. or ladder. etc. Jr is CRAZY and I will just stand back and let him do what he does so well. Then take pictures and share the process with you Knife Knuts!

Good night

Mingooch
11-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Teasing me Randy, thought this was an update on my knife order!! LOL

HHH Knives
11-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Yous is quickly coming to the top of the list! wont be long now!

Here are some images from day one .. Jr. forged like a mad man. and Lefty ad I worked on some projects!

HHH Knives
11-06-2012, 08:50 AM
After the first weld the billet is drawn out and cut into pieces then restacked and welded again. ...

HHH Knives
11-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Lefty helped draw out the damascus. :)

Taz575
11-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Very cool!!! That is one fat stack!!! So 51 layers, cut that bar into 5 pieces, stack, tack and forge down again, cut into 5 and repeat? 8 times?? Is my math correct???

DevinT
11-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Check again, I think that was cut in 6 pieces.

Hoss

Taz575
11-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Ah, you're right! Forgot to count the middle piece...been a long day so far! So 6 welds then?

HHH Knives
11-06-2012, 02:11 PM
In total there are 7 welds to get to the million + count. 1,057,536 layers when were done. :)

Were on the final weld right now More pictures to come SOON!!

Lefty
11-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Randy said he couldn't have done it without me. Hahaha. Yeah right! Thanks for letting me help with 190,000 some odd layers. :D

You're right...I do look like Fabio!

HHH Knives
11-06-2012, 07:45 PM
OK Guys! Randy Jr and Lefty wore me out over the last couple days! :dazed:

It was great to have Fabio over and we had BIG fun, Forging and grinding and heat treating and yep. He wanted to do everything at least once! :doublethumbsup:

Here are some more pictures from today. :) After Randy Jr got the billet over one million layers he added a little twist! Actually he did a really impressive twist. I took lots of photos of the many heat and twist cycles that he went through. I just love the look of these pictures so I added a bunch, something to make this one different from the last.

Next post will have some pictures of him doing the final draw. :)

Eric
11-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Wow! Pretty cool images. Luv the mural on your press. Thx for sharing the photos. Best-

HHH Knives
11-06-2012, 07:52 PM
After twisting this to a very impressive looking bar of damascus. The last step is to draw the twisted bar into a billet of damascus.

Many, many heats and press cycles later and we have a finished bar of million layer TWIST! :eek2:

More to come tomorrow after we clean up the billet and etch to show the pattern.

PierreRodrigue
11-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Very cool you guys! Well done! Can't wait to see the pattern! Junior, your a beast dude!

Lefty
11-06-2012, 08:30 PM
The guy knows steel, that's for damn sure!

HHH Knives
11-06-2012, 08:39 PM
That kid is a steel smashing BEAST!

Cant wait to see what the pattern on this combination looks like.

So far I am planning on doing a couple of Wa handle petty knives and a HHH folder from this bar.

cclin
11-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Damn.... just by watch the WIP pics. I want the knife already:ggodjob: can't wait to see the pattern!!

HHH Knives
11-13-2012, 05:28 PM
cclin, Thanks man.. That could be worked out! :) From the bar the a piece was cut and will be used for a commissioned folder.

The 2 remaining pieces are perfect to be Wa handle petty knives! and is what I was planning for them. Lets talk.. :)

The steel has a SUPER ultra fine grain! I expect the visible pattern to be nice once the steel is heat treated and ground into a blade.

Zwiefel
11-13-2012, 05:32 PM
very very cool....seems like it would be a beautiful sword :)

HHH Knives
11-15-2012, 08:16 PM
It could of been a great sword! But I had a order for a folder. and the first million layer billet just wasn't big enough to made both the gyuto and the folder.

We cut the middle our for the folder and the two ends I had hoped to make some Wa handle petty's possibly doing differential heat treat so there would be a nice hamon as well as the fine million layer twist pattern.

Im thinking that no matter what I make with this stuff its gona be very cool!

On a side note. I will be starting the million layer suji very soon and will be adding some images to the original WIP post very soon!

God Bless
Randy

jmforge
11-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Wow!! Let those younger arms do all of that twisting, right? LOL