PDA

View Full Version : Cigars and coffee....OH YEAH

stereo.pete
11-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Hey everybody,

So I have recently found myself getting back into cigars, yep another crazy hobby. Anyway, my favorite drink to pair with a nice cigar is coffee. I know we have some coffee drinkers on the forum here and was hoping you could point me in the direction to a nice quality, albeit not super expensive french press that will make about 4 cups of coffee. I would also like some recommendations for coffee beans and online merchants of said beans as well.

P.S. If any of you are BOTL's (Brothers of the Leaf) let me know and we can talk cigars. About six years ago I dove into the deep end of the cigar hobby and amassed quite a collection but unfortunately I grew out of it and gave them away. I am seasoning my old humidor as we speak and enjoying a Arturo Fuente 858 Candela this morning with a cup of Dunkin' Donuts coffee, while listening to Neil Young :spiteful:

AFKitchenknivesguy
11-05-2012, 12:18 PM
I don't like cigars or smoking, but this is all you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-1928-16US6-Chambord-Coffee-Press/dp/B00005LM0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352135792&sr=8-1&keywords=bodum+french+press

I would go to the coffee thread and see our recommendations. Red Bird espresso is a good all around coffee, but there are better coffees for FP.

Justin0505
11-05-2012, 12:25 PM
If Im feeling lazy i use This:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00004S1DB

When i want the best tasting coffee possible i use this:
http://www.aeropress.com

I also love dunkin donuts coffee

AFKitchenknivesguy
11-05-2012, 12:39 PM
The problem with insulated french presses is they are a waste in the sense you are overextracting the coffee. Even with the french press I listed, after the 3-5 minutes extract time you should transfer the remaining coffee to another container. Coffee is never meant to spend more than 3-5 minutes in a FP.

unkajonet
11-05-2012, 01:07 PM
I don't like cigars or smoking, but this is all you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-1928-16US6-Chambord-Coffee-Press/dp/B00005LM0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352135792&sr=8-1&keywords=bodum+french+press

+1. It says 8 cups, but you'll get a little less; maybe 6. The cool thing about the Bodum FPs is that when the screen/filter does eventually need replacing (several years down the line), they're easily findable.

stereo.pete
11-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the help guys, much love to you all for helping me with my vices/hobbies. I will report back once I receive the Bodum.

AFKitchenknivesguy
11-05-2012, 02:30 PM
If you want a really cool and easy hobby, and like to control the outcome of your product, then get one of these:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-roasters/drum-roasters/behmor.html?source=grid

You'll never have to pay for fresh coffee and shipping fees again, plus green coffee is half the price. They even start you off with 8 lbs to experiment with.

DeepCSweede
11-05-2012, 02:31 PM
I used to smoke quite a few cigars, now I have pretty much relegated myself to golfing and fishing, neither of which happen very often and an occasional cigar on the deck with a good brandy. The last cigar I had though was an Arturo Fuente Opus XX which was absolutely fantastic with a couple of glasses of rum.

stereo.pete
11-05-2012, 02:49 PM
I used to smoke quite a few cigars, now I have pretty much relegated myself to golfing and fishing, neither of which happen very often and an occasional cigar on the deck with a good brandy. The last cigar I had though was an Arturo Fuente Opus XX which was absolutely fantastic with a couple of glasses of rum.

I proud to be an Arturo Fuente fanboy, and yes the Opus line is quite fantastic although my favorites are the Anejo's.

Kyle
11-05-2012, 03:25 PM
I smoke cigars every now and then. Usually on fishing trips and the like. However, I'm looking to start smoking them a bit more on just relaxing evenings. I'd like to get a humidor and start filling it up. I already have a taste for plenty of $10-$30 cigars that I'd like to start with. However, I'd like some suggestions for good cheap cigars that I can fill my humidor up with to smoke when I want to keep it cheap or to offer a friend with no real experience with cigars so I don't feel like I'm wasting $20+ on someone who can't enjoy it. Any suggestions?

stereo.pete
11-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Kyle,

I am glad you asked, I have quite a few suggestions as I too like to keep this hobby as economical as possible while not smoking dog turds.

Here's a quick list...

Arturo Fuente Cuban Corona's in both natural and maduro
Arturo Fuente 858 Maduro's or Candela's if you friend likes a mild to medium cigar
Padron #5000 or any cigar really from the standard Padron line
La Aroma de Cuba Corona's or Belicoso's

Marko Tsourkan
11-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Cigars has been a weakness of mine, lately -

DeepCSweede
11-05-2012, 03:51 PM
I smoke cigars every now and then. Usually on fishing trips and the like. However, I'm looking to start smoking them a bit more on just relaxing evenings. I'd like to get a humidor and start filling it up. I already have a taste for plenty of $10-$30 cigars that I'd like to start with. However, I'd like some suggestions for good cheap cigars that I can fill my humidor up with to smoke when I want to keep it cheap or to offer a friend with no real experience with cigars so I don't feel like I'm wasting $20+ on someone who can't enjoy it. Any suggestions?

JR's cigars (online) has a good selection of cheapie (seconds / their own brand) that can be pretty decent at a reasonable price. My godfather smokes these on a daily basis and I have had a few of those over the years and they are a good bang for the buck.

DeepCSweede
11-05-2012, 03:53 PM
If you like maduros, I have found Belisco's and Bolivar to be good and El Rey Del Mundo to be exceptional.

DeepCSweede
11-05-2012, 03:53 PM
I recently picked up a couple of Rocky Patel's but have not had a chance to smoke them yet.

wenus2
11-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Easy: Illusione Chuchillos Cubanos
I like the 4.5" x 46 size. They sell in packs of 5 for under $20.
The best budget smoke I have encountered.

mano
11-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Cigars and coffee are a match made in heaven. I get my coffee in 5 lb. bags from coffeebeandirect.com and buy something that's medium acidity, full-bodied and usually city roast. I'm not too picky.

Because I only drink coffee in the a.m. and smoke cigars on the deck when weather permits I usually have a medium bodied smoke. Cubans include Montecristo 2's or Partegas Shorts. Domestics include Padron maduro's, some Fuente products -I'm down to my last few Hemingway maduros- or whatever looks good in the humidor.

Jim
11-05-2012, 06:00 PM
I enjoy a cigar and a coffee, a perfect pair.

apicius9
11-05-2012, 06:10 PM
If you want a really cool and easy hobby, and like to control the outcome of your product, then get one of these:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-roasters/drum-roasters/behmor.html?source=grid

You'll never have to pay for fresh coffee and shipping fees again, plus green coffee is half the price. They even start you off with 8 lbs to experiment with.

Don't do cigars, but the roaster would have been my next gadget if you hadn't made me buy that sous vide thingy ;)

Stefan

Pabloz
11-05-2012, 09:54 PM
AAAHHH YES, cigars and coffee. AF's have been a favorite for many years. After a hard day of grinding blades there is nothing better that hitting the hot tub with an AF and Remy Martin VSOP.

As far as coffee I still do the old fashioned stove top esspresso w/a Bialetti stainless and then whip up a cafe cubano. Enjoy with the stogie from the day before. Usually get my coffee from Caracolillo Coffee Mill in Tampa http://www.ccmcoffee.com/ . Great products and phenominal service.

Even though AFs are a favorite I have to say that the maduro I like the most is the Ashton Eclipse VSG. This is one really GREAT smoke. Full bodied, strong flavor, easy draw and actually gave me a head rush!

Hasta,

PZ

GlassEye
11-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Cigars and coffee are great, unfortunately I don't have the time or place to enjoy a cigar nearly often enough these days. Cigars led me to pipes, which became a bigger hobby than cigars once were. A pipe and tea is also a good pair. You have inspired me to dig through the humidor for something good to end this week.

Get a Bodum press pot, the best choice in my opinion.

chinacats
11-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Cigars led me to pipes, which became a bigger hobby than cigars once were. A pipe and tea is also a good pair.

+1 on the pipe and tea...or coffee

sachem allison
11-06-2012, 12:26 AM
AAAHHH YES, cigars and coffee. AF's have been a favorite for many years. After a hard day of grinding blades there is nothing better that hitting the hot tub with an AF and Remy Martin VSOP.

As far as coffee I still do the old fashioned stove top esspresso w/a Bialetti stainless and then whip up a cafe cubano. Enjoy with the stogie from the day before. Usually get my coffee from Caracolillo Coffee Mill in Tampa http://www.ccmcoffee.com/ . Great products and phenominal service.

Even though AFs are a favorite I have to say that the maduro I like the most is the Ashton Eclipse VSG. This is one really GREAT smoke. Full bodied, strong flavor, easy draw and actually gave me a head rush!

Hasta,

PZ

mmmmmmm, ashtons! Also, in love with anything Graycliff but, especially the Emeralds.

chokobo
11-06-2012, 12:37 AM
As much as I love my coffee, how about cigars and whisky? Match made in heaven if you ask me :doublethumbsup:

Joshua1970
11-06-2012, 11:15 AM
been enjoying cigars for years, and pipes nearLy as long (i too followed the natural progression..."to save money" hahaha yeah that worked out well!!

limited editions aside, my favorite morning cigar is an El Rey Del Mundo Choix Supreme (via Habanos SA) and my favorite Evening cigar is a Ramon Allones Double Corona. tho I usually have to sit down smoking one of them - STRONG!

so many amazing cigars available from not just Cuba, but Nicaragua (Padrons are among my favorites - and their Anniversarios rival nearly any high end cuban stick there is IMO) Hoyos and Punch from Hunduras, Dominicans (the Fuente Hemingway line and of course the Opus dominican puros speak for themselves) and the list goes on and on. also so many new brands I've never tried (I haven't bought a new cigar in at least 8+ years or so, just have em aging)

as for coffee, I fell into that rabbit hole too. ordering greenbeans from sweetmarias.com and roasting my own, using vacuum brewers etc. alas I was a coffee fiend and after some insane anxiety and mood swings etc I decided to give of the heavy duty coffee drinking. will occasionally have a cup here and there... mostly out of the house.

love loose leaf teas.

now, for me, the best beverage mix with cigars is scotch... except in the morning, most days lol and a little taste of chocolate (dark or milk) with a decent cigar is a really nice match too!

stereo.pete
11-06-2012, 11:45 AM
My go to list for cigars includes:
AF Hemingway Signature, natural and Maduro
Ashton VSG
Ashton ESG
Ashton Cabinet
AF 858 Maduro
AF Anejo!!!!!!!!
Anything Padron
La Aroma de Cuba
Tatuaje

Also, in terms of coffee grinders, what do you recommend is a good brand that won't break after a couple of uses?

AFKitchenknivesguy
11-06-2012, 03:21 PM
People, especially coffee fiends will scoff at this, but buy a cheap whirly grinder if you are only going to do FP. IMO, the only time you really want to spend some coin on a good grinder is if you have the money to do so, or are considering getting into espresso.

stereo.pete
11-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Thank you sir!

mano
11-06-2012, 07:02 PM
People, especially coffee fiends will scoff at this, but buy a cheap whirly grinder if you are only going to do FP. IMO, the only time you really want to spend some coin on a good grinder is if you have the money to do so, or are considering getting into espresso.

I scoff at that and fart in your direction. Going from a Krupps whirly grinder to a PITA retro KitchenAid burr grinder made a quantum leap taste improvement in cheap drip machine.

stereo.pete
11-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Ordered the Bodum today, I will wait for arrival of it before I place an order for some Red Bird Coffee, thanks again guys, you are the best!

AFKitchenknivesguy
11-06-2012, 10:25 PM
I scoff at that and fart in your direction. Going from a Krupps whirly grinder to a PITA retro KitchenAid burr grinder made a quantum leap taste improvement in cheap drip machine.

Instead of scoffing and farting, step up and buy a Mazzer and Technivorm and be amazed.

ETA: I realize that may come off as snobby, not my intent. My point is most people wouldn't know the difference and don't want to make a major investment in a grinder. I personally have $8K invested in coffee equipment and every high end toy imaginable, but that's me. I cannot tell the difference for FP between my Mazzer and whirly blade grinder. For pourover, drip, and espresso there is a difference, especially the former two. The main difference being the extract time and contact with coffee/water.

AFKitchenknivesguy
11-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Ordered the Bodum today, I will wait for arrival of it before I place an order for some Red Bird Coffee, thanks again guys, you are the best!

Man, you are on the road a great experience!

daveb
11-06-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm a whirly grind and drip drinker (but only with filtered water). For me it should not take longer to make coffee than it does to drink it.

Entire spectrum, price and taste, of sticks avail at http://www.mikescigars.com/ I like the sampler packs for a little variety and the house brand for good steady smoke.

mano
11-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Instead of scoffing and farting, step up and buy a Mazzer and Technivorm and be amazed.

ETA: I realize that may come off as snobby, not my intent. My point is most people wouldn't know the difference and don't want to make a major investment in a grinder. I personally have $8K invested in coffee equipment and every high end toy imaginable, but that's me. I cannot tell the difference for FP between my Mazzer and whirly blade grinder. For pourover, drip, and espresso there is a difference, especially the former two. The main difference being the extract time and contact with coffee/water.

I've had a Technivorm and KitchenAid ProLine for about three years and am pretty happy.

Lefty
11-07-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm a couple days late, but I'll still comment :)

I'man occasional cigar smoker (golfing, summer in general, bonfires, summer in general), but I like Te Amo cigars the best, so far. I know they're inexpensive, but I find them to be smooth, slightly chocolatey and medium burning. However, I can't seem to track them down too often, because in Canada, "if it ain't Cuban, it's crap".

As for coffee, I love Bodum's products. They're easy to use, the strainers on the FP fit very snuggly, allowing minimal grind into the drink itself, and they are very well made. Mine broke (dropped it). And I'm using a cheap one that does a fine job, but I still want a new Bodum. They also sell some beautiful double walled glass cups that match very nicely, if you're into that kinda thing.

Beans are such a matter of personal preference, I say you should experiment and try out a whole bunch to see what your favourites are. For me, it depends onwhat mood I'm in, but my favourite roasters are local and bring beans in from all over the world.

You should try them out. You can order from: http://www.fireroastedcoffee.com

stereo.pete
11-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Well I have my Bodum Chambord 8 cup french press sitting in front of me and a Mr. Coffee grinder! Just placed an order at Redbird and figured I would start with their Redbird espresso thanks to Jason's recommendation. Thanks again and I will be back with thoughts on my first cup of coffee.

GlassEye
11-07-2012, 11:55 PM
I would guess you should be able to find a good coffee roaster locally, may be worth a look. I get most of my coffee from a local place that roasts everything in house, can be enjoyable to go in and talk about, see and smell what is fresh for that day.

AFKitchenknivesguy
11-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Hey Pete, shoot me your address and I'll send you some fresh roasted coffee sometime.

Jason

wenus2
11-08-2012, 01:27 AM
Hey Pete, shoot me your address and I'll send you some fresh roasted coffee sometime.

Jason
I'd be happy to do the same.

Lefty
11-08-2012, 08:02 AM
I'm also looking for free coffee. Hahaha. Just kidding :) What a place!

stereo.pete
11-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Can I just say I love you guys! :spin chair:

I'll tell you what, I will definitely take you guys up on your generous offer but only when I am running low on my Red Bird Espresso so as to not waste your effort in the roasting process. I know after a week that the flavors begin to deteriorate.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Canadian
11-09-2012, 01:05 PM
The Bodum is probably the best choice--an iconic design too.

I have the 3 cup and the 8 cup. The 3 cup only makes 1 mug of coffee. If I had to do it over again I would have purchased the 8 cup first and be done.

Regarding cigars, been there done that. Cigars are fun. Pipes are really nice, but I never smoked them in public for risk of looking like a d-bag. I will have the odd cigar on vacation, or if it is offered to me while camping. I sold my humidor and pipe outfit off a couple years ago primarily because I just don't smoke enough to justify the maintenance. The tobacco store does a better job and keeping cigars than I do so if I want one I just go there, plastic baggy it and smoke it within the next few hours.

stereo.pete
11-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Well, I just brewed my first Bodum French Press coffee with some fancy target brand nicuraguan whole beans, which were roasted god knows when and I am already in love. I am enjoying said coffee with a La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amora Robusto, and that is a very nice start to a fall Sunday.

Thanks again guys,

Pete

wenus2
11-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Very cool, congrats Pete. I'm excited for your good coffee to arrive.

Jmadams13
11-11-2012, 02:42 PM
I bought a REI branded titanium french press a few years ago to take on my bicycle tours, but find myself using it at least twice a week at home when I don't want to make more than a cup (a very rare thing, as I'm a caffeine addict, and drink about two pots a day) of the rarer or different beans I get. Here in town there is a wonderful artisan roaster who roasts some of the best coffee I have had, and being a good freind of mine, he will hook me up with some rare or not widely seen beans and roasts to try out. Sipping a cup of Indian Monsoon Mlibar as we speak. Nice and "muddy," very reminiscent of the soil it's grown in. Once a year harvest from south India, and well worth the wait.

I have roasted my own before in a air pop-corn popper, with good results. I think a roaster is in my future, as my girlfriend was asking all kinds of questions, and having conversations with said coffee roaster about my preferred beans. At least I hope that is what's happening, lol.

stereo.pete
11-13-2012, 02:35 PM
I just had a wonderful of cup of my Target brand of Nicaragua coffee with an absolutely stunning cigar, a My Father Robusto. Perfect construction, razor sharp burn and a great full flavored cigar with no harshness.

Duckfat
11-14-2012, 12:40 PM
Pete if you ever make it over to Detroit drop me a line and we can head over to Windsor and have a smoke @ Casa Del Habano. My favorite combo? Bolivar Bellicosso fino cabinet selection and Organic Rooster Farms Kona.

Dave

http://www.roosterfarms.com/

stereo.pete
11-14-2012, 10:00 PM
Dave that sounds like a glorious plan.

stereo.pete
11-28-2012, 01:07 AM
I am enjoying a couple of glasses of Johnny Walker Black with an Old Henry Robusto (Pepin blended cigar for Holts), which tastes great for the price.

jmforge
11-29-2012, 01:34 AM
I had a Punch Punch in Lille the other week with a glass of the local beer. Normally, I would say have a cigar, particualrly a Cuban one, with a shot of standard cafeteria window Miami Cuban coffee with way too much sugar.:doublethumbsup:

stereo.pete
11-29-2012, 08:16 PM

When it comes to cigars from ISOM (Cuba) I have very little experience. I once had a Partagas Series D. and a Fonseca Delicias but that was back in '06. I need to connect with some people and figure out what sources are legit and which are no bueno.

Regards,

Pete

GlassEye
11-29-2012, 09:13 PM
I have yet to try a cigar from the ISOM. The people on the Puff.com forums always seem to have a source, just seemed like too much hassle for me to try acquiring a box (or several).

jmforge
11-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Yeah, the problem these days is that if you try to get some say in Miami, you have about a 90% chance that they are counterfeit. That has also been a problem in Mexico, albeit nowhere as bad.

DeepCSweede
11-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Pete if you ever make it over to Detroit drop me a line and we can head over to Windsor and have a smoke @ Casa Del Habano. My favorite combo? Bolivar Bellicosso fino cabinet selection and Organic Rooster Farms Kona.

Dave

http://www.roosterfarms.com/

Dave,
Have you everused the rooster farms kona as a rub. I was thinking of ordering some a) to try it and b) to use as a rub for a steak ala capital grille

Eric

DeepCSweede
11-29-2012, 09:47 PM
My cousin used to hook me up with cubans when he was stationed in cuba but now I only get a few here and there when people go to out of the country.

Lefty
11-29-2012, 09:51 PM
Sometimes it's great living in Canada :P

jmforge
11-29-2012, 11:38 PM
The Habanos can give you some real sticker shock depending on where you buy them. The only time that I was in Havana was back in 2000. The Cohibas were overpriced because they were in heavy demand, but even at the marina, they were about half what they went for in Paris. A box of Esplendidos was going for about $300 or $$12.50 a stick. Back then, you could get a box of comparable (and popular) cigars R&J Churchills for about $140-150 (what can you get for $6 a stick anywhere today?) and smaller smokes of good quality like Partagas 898's or Punch Punch for under $100 a box even in the higher priced places like the marina store. As far as places that I have been where most of us might travel to, the highest prices were the stores on the London high streets like Davidoff or Desmond Sauter and the lowest not at some duty free place were at the "mall" out in the EU zone in Luxembourg, which were selling for about 60-65% of what they sold for in London. I paid like 11 Euros for that Punch Punch on the high street in Lille, which is not great, but not horrible considering I think that paid 12 pounds or more for the same cigar in London in 2006

Duckfat
11-30-2012, 09:01 AM
Dave,
Have you everused the rooster farms kona as a rub. I was thinking of ordering some a) to try it and b) to use as a rub for a steak ala capital grille

Eric

I have not but that is some primo coffee no matter what you use it for. You certainly could use a standard Kona that would be more cost effective but the Rooster Farms is a seriously good treat if you enjoy a good cup. For a rub you might even try a can of Trader Joes Kuai which is far more cost effective than any Kona.
Pete I'd avoid any Cubans sold in the US. It's like buying any other black market product...loaded with counterfits. Cuba sends out it's smokes in order of preference to different countries. The Caribbean pretty much gets the bottom of the barrel where Spain etc really gets the cream of the crop. Now that may have changed a bit with the economy but when you travel to places like Miami or the Bahamas I think it's always better to find a local artisan like Avelino Lara @ Greycliff in Nassau. Even places where Cuban smokes are legal you have to be careful where you buy. Oh how I miss that 50+% Canadian exchange rate from years past.

Dave

http://www.graycliff.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=193&Itemid=286

mano
11-30-2012, 09:27 AM
Cuban cigars are easy to buy online and there are several reputable sellers. I haven't bought for a few years, but IIRC, there has been an increase in confiscated packages. PM me if you want recommendations.

Kyle
11-30-2012, 03:57 PM
So are Cubans really worth it, or has their stock risen due to the fact that they're forbidden to US citizens?

cnochef
11-30-2012, 04:36 PM
To my knowledge this is the cheapest source of authentic SA Habanos cigars online, and an amazing selection to boot. The main reason why they are so inexpensive is they are located on a Mohawk reserve in Ontario and not subject to Canadian taxation on tobacco products:

www.cigarchief.com

cnochef
11-30-2012, 04:58 PM
They also have a delivery guarantee for those of you in the US. If you don't get your shipment, they resend it!

quantumcloud509
11-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Cigars and coffee are great, unfortunately I don't have the time or place to enjoy a cigar nearly often enough these days. Cigars led me to pipes, which became a bigger hobby than cigars once were. A pipe and tea is also a good pair. You have inspired me to dig through the humidor for something good to end this week.

Get a Bodum press pot, the best choice in my opinion.

Im a pipe and tea guy myself. Favorite tobacky being the HH Matured Virginia. Favorite tea being the Midnight Blue. The best deal I have found on the tea is $32 shipped for a lb from nmteaco . com . I have been smoking my lb of HHMV for about a year and a half now.

Oh yeah, and cant forget the Lapsang Souchong...its a smoked tea, and it great to drink, but also to use to smoke meats. Cheers.

jmforge
12-01-2012, 12:25 AM
The top of the line Cuban stuff across the board is the equal of the top 5% of the non-Cuban stuff like Opus and the high end Padron lines. They are that good when made properly. When the factories that make the Cohiba and Tinidad lines and the large size premium cigars for the other top lines are on their A game, nobody is better. I would say that the folks who work at the top factories for Fuente are as good at their jobs as the senior rollers at Cuban factories like El Laguito and La Corona. The Padron guys are probably as good as their Cuban counterparts when it comes to making box pressed premium cigars. The EARLY Dominican Davidoff stuff was so good as to make you think that maybe Zino didn't burn all of his leftover Cuban stock in protest and rebanded some of it. LOL. It slipped a bit after that IMO. With that said, EVERYBODY, Cuba included, makes cheap stuff too. The typical nasty little cigarillo that you get in Spain likely made with sweepings from the floor of some barn in Pinar Del Rio just like the stuff you get over here is made from floor sweepings from Kentucky, North Carolina, Connecticut or Nicaragua.:doublethumbsup: As for woth it, the one problem that many of us run into (unless you buy from the Mohawks) is that a lot of the countries that get the really premium Cuban lines (Spain IS Montecristo. The brand was invented for their market and they still get the majority of them) have ridiculously high "sin taxes" The UK is the worst offender that I have seen, but I hear Canada is bad too. I think that I paid over 30 pounds for a Trinidad in 2007 in London. The best way to get Cubans and know that they are real may at the airport duty free shops in places like Switzerland, but that doesn't help us.
So are Cubans really worth it, or has their stock risen due to the fact that they're forbidden to US citizens?

jmforge
12-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Interesting. Some moderately priced, some outrageous, but I guess that is relative. I suspect that the ones with crazy prices like the Montecristo A for $55 Can are going to be even more stupidly priced in other places!!!!:bigeek:
To my knowledge this is the cheapest source of authentic SA Habanos cigars online, and an amazing selection to boot. The main reason why they are so inexpensive is they are located on a Mohawk reserve in Ontario and not subject to Canadian taxation on tobacco products:

www.cigarchief.com

stereo.pete
12-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Cubans are too rich for my blood at this stage in my life, perhaps another time. Since I've been back in the cigar game, I have really been enjoying the El Triunfador line from Pete Johnson (Tatuaje) as well as the Old Henry line from Holts, which is blended by the same guy who rolls Pete Johnson's cigars, Jose "Pepin" Garcia. Of course, Arturo Fuente 858 maduro's never disappoint either, and they can be found for $102 a box and age well to boot.

P.S. Thanks again to those that recommended Red Bird coffee, I have been enjoying their espresso blend now for the last month black with some sugar! Great flavor and a perfect match for a morning cigar!

Dardeau
12-02-2012, 03:26 PM
I really like the various French presses I have used, but last year I returned to the coffee pot of my childhood and will never go back. My father has used a Chemex pot for as long as I can remember and buying one has been revelatory. It may just be a Proustian taste of childhood, but it makes the strongest, yet cleanest tasting coffee I have ever had. Living in an international port and having a girlfriend that runs a FT coffee shop helps with the quality too. That also brings a lot of cigar action in here but I recently quit smoking cigarettes and the temptation of cigars would be too much.

jmforge
12-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Pete there are some fairly respectable smaller cigars on that Canadian site for what would work out to about $175 for a box of 25. which is not bad these days.
Cubans are too rich for my blood at this stage in my life, perhaps another time. Since I've been back in the cigar game, I have really been enjoying the El Triunfador line from Pete Johnson (Tatuaje) as well as the Old Henry line from Holts, which is blended by the same guy who rolls Pete Johnson's cigars, Jose "Pepin" Garcia. Of course, Arturo Fuente 858 maduro's never disappoint either, and they can be found for $102 a box and age well to boot.

P.S. Thanks again to those that recommended Red Bird coffee, I have been enjoying their espresso blend now for the last month black with some sugar! Great flavor and a perfect match for a morning cigar!

Duckfat
12-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Did some one say Monte Cristo and Trinidad?

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/Docsknotinn/M-Cristo-1.jpg

jmforge
12-04-2012, 12:42 AM
Nice. Which Trinidad are those? I had one of the classic Fundadores in London and thought it was quite good.

Duckfat
12-04-2012, 08:00 AM
The only Trinadad I've had were the Fundadores. Awesome smoke. Very smooth but a small ring gauge especially compared to a MonteCristo #2 or Bolivar Belicosos fino.

Dave

Jim
12-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Trinidad's are one of my favorite smokes from the little island. Definitely one that I will smoke in heaven everyday.

Duckfat
12-04-2012, 12:07 PM
I think we need a KKF charter flight to Havana. :bliss:
Coffee, smokes, cuban sandwiches, rum, more rum....

Dave

DeepCSweede
12-04-2012, 01:15 PM
I think we need a KKF charter flight to Havana. :bliss:
Coffee, smokes, cuban sandwiches, rum, more rum....

Dave

Don't forget the black beans n rice and plantains!!

pumbaa
12-04-2012, 02:20 PM
And mojo pork

jmforge
12-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Having been their in 2000, unless things have changed, the thing that our local friends loved most that we brought them were the big bags of rice from Louisiana, beans from Florida, gallons of Mazola cooking oil and Disney videos for their kids. I don't know if I saw a Cuban sandwich down there. That may be a Tampa/Miami thing. The best meal I had in Cuba other than the ones we made on the boat was at our friends house. It kind of the typical Miami style meal that I was used to.....palomilla steak, black beans, white rice, bread, etc. The funny part is that the beans and rice were ones that we had brought over and the steak was not beef, but sea turtle. The rum was another story. How about a 750ml bottle of 7 year old Havana Club at the marina store, which was one of the pricier ones, for $7? The same bottle was selling for cover $30 in Paris at the time.My brother, who had been a few times before, said he had gotten it in town for as little a $5.50 in previous years before the locals wised up a little and raised the price.:biggrin:

stereo.pete
12-04-2012, 03:46 PM
I just had an Illusione 68, wow talk about an amazing little cigar. Perfect construction, copious amounts of smoke, tons of rich flavor, no bitterness or harshness. I would highly recommend picking a few of these up!

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/5364/photojj.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/842/photojj.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Duckfat
12-05-2012, 10:15 AM
I lived in Fl most of the 80's so my Cuban experience was limited to the Miami area. Lots of Cuban sandwiches there. Rum prices in the Caribbean are comical. Some where I have pictures of the Atlantis resort being built. When I was there you could buy a fifth of good rum cheaper than a bottle of beer and even cheaper than a pot of coffee. Heck rum was cheaper than a bag of potato chips! They did put a killer cigar shop/lounge in the Atlantis but I have no idea if that's still there.
I'd really enjoy going to Cuba if I ever had the chance.
Peter those look like great smokes. Is that a Robusto?

Dave

jmforge
12-05-2012, 10:34 AM
I lived in Fl most of the 80's so my Cuban experience was limited to the Miami area. Lots of Cuban sandwiches there. Rum prices in the Caribbean are comical. Some where I have pictures of the Atlantis resort being built. When I was there you could buy a fifth of good rum cheaper than a bottle of beer and even cheaper than a pot of coffee. Heck rum was cheaper than a bag of potato chips! They did put a killer cigar shop/lounge in the Atlantis but I have no idea if that's still there.
I'd really enjoy going to Cuba if I ever had the chance.
Peter those look like great smokes. Is that a Robusto?
Dave
Dave, I grew up in Miami. We moved there in '68 when I was 7 and my family moved to Tampa in '88. Suffice to say that there are some old friends who we wouldn't want to mention our Cuba trips to. LOL.

stereo.pete
12-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Dave,

The Illusione 68 is a petite corona 4x44, which is perfect for the winter months here in Chicago.

stereo.pete
12-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Prepping for a job interview, enjoying the last of my Red Bird Espresso coffee and an Old Henry Robusto.

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/7730/oldhenryrobusto.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/824/oldhenryrobusto.jpg/)

stereo.pete
12-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Ok guys, since I've finished off my Red Bird Espresso, what do you recommend I try next for coffee beans?

jmforge
12-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Call me a provincial goober, but I like the Illy espresso, although it is pretty pricey here compared to what it sells fro in the home market, I am sure.

stereo.pete
12-06-2012, 09:30 PM
I am ending the day with an Old Henry Maduro corona. http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/5017/oldhenrymaduro.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/716/oldhenrymaduro.jpg/)

It started off a bit funky probably because it needs a bit of age but after the first third it settled into a very pleasing smoke.

Lefty
12-07-2012, 05:39 AM
This is my typical start to a day (beans vary). I, typically, love Portuguese coffees. They tend to be slightly earthy, with a natural sweetness and a touch of acidity at the middle, but a warm cacao aftertaste. I don't even remember what these beans are called, but it's a medium roast and I really like it!

And, for those who might be wondering, the mug is courtesy of Tom Gray.

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/Lefty-T/879AE2A1-ED46-4B27-B81A-8139C344B842-21499-00001C9C98FAC291.jpg

stereo.pete
12-07-2012, 08:40 AM
I love your back splash, well done sir!

Jim
12-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Ok guys, since I've finished off my Red Bird Espresso, what do you recommend I try next for coffee beans?

http://ristrettoroasters.com/buy-coffee/
Ristretto roasters, the owner Dinder is a friend of mine,and does a great job.

stereo.pete
12-07-2012, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the recommendation Jim!

Jim
12-07-2012, 05:53 PM
My pleasure! Here is another> http://www.ajcoffeeco.com/ Jason is another great guy who definitely sweats the details.

add
12-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Great thread!

Anyone have experience with Frieling French Presses ?

http://www.wayfair.com/Frieling-Stainless-Steel-Midi-0.5-Quart-French-Press-0102-FLG1009.html

Pachowder
12-08-2012, 07:40 PM
i splurged on a nespresso machine. i like a good espresso with a good Illusione or Tatuaje cigar. Yeah, another expensive crazy hobby. at least you arent asking for the most expensive scotch to drink with them!

stereo.pete
12-09-2012, 01:20 AM
Mmmm...Illusione and Tatuaje, two of my favorite brands.

Jim, that last website you linked, AJ Coffee is fantastic, thanks again for sharing!

brainsausage
12-12-2012, 02:03 AM
I hate smoking but i like coffee so i suggest you to quit smoking and drink coffee because coffee has some benefits but smoking is dangerous for health and causes diseases like cancer.

Personally- I like drinking cigars, but I hate smoking coffee.

apicius9
12-12-2012, 02:10 AM
Well, as a public health professional, I have to say the gentleman is right... But being a gourmet and a gourmand sometimes causes conflict of interests with PH recommendations for me also ;)

Stefan

jmforge
12-12-2012, 02:28 AM
I quit smoking ciagarettes 5 months ago and have decided to not even try a ciagr for at least another 7 months. Can I snort coffee grounds in the meantime?:biggrin:

Duckfat
12-12-2012, 06:20 AM
Can I snort coffee grounds in the meantime?:biggrin:

Can I get an 8-ball of the Kona snuff? :lol2:

Dave

apicius9
12-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Several thumbs up for stopping smoking - that can be very hard and a real accomplishment. And I would rather bathe in Kona coffe than snort it. :)

Stefan

Duckfat
12-12-2012, 07:36 AM
IIR they are selling the Kona Cherry skins now for cosmetic and dietary use. When I win the lotto I'm buying 5 acres in the Kona district!

Dave

jmforge
12-12-2012, 10:10 AM
I used the e-cigarettes, so some, perhaps a pulbic health pro like you included, would say that I cheated.:razz: BUT, the fact remains that I have not had a single cigarette since early July and with the e-cigs, my nicotine consumption dropped significantly from day one.
Several thumbs up for stopping smoking - that can be very hard and a real accomplishment. And I would rather bathe in Kona coffe than snort it. :)

Stefan

stereo.pete
12-12-2012, 10:45 AM
I quit smoking cigarettes three years ago but I do still enjoy cigars. The two are very different from each other, with cigars being full a flavor and complexity (similar to well executed food) and cigarettes being boring, one dimensional lung killers. Long story short, let's not turn this thread into an anti smoking campaign, this thread was started for those who enjoy a great cup of coffee and a fine cigar, or anywhere in between.

Regards,

Pete

jmforge
12-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Pete, I have a Cohiba Siglo VI that has been aging for a couple of years AND the HUGE A sized Opus X cigar (9+ x 47) that has been aging for a LONG time (one from the first batch that Fuente released whenever that was in the late 90's) waiting in the humidor for me when I get off of ciggy probation.:biggrin:
I quit smoking cigarettes three years ago but I do still enjoy cigars. The two are very different from each other, with cigars being full a flavor and complexity (similar to well executed food) and cigarettes being boring, one dimensional lung killers. Long story short, let's not turn this thread into an anti smoking campaign, this thread was started for those who enjoy a great cup of coffee and a fine cigar, or anywhere in between.

Regards,

Pete

stereo.pete
12-12-2012, 01:28 PM
*******, I envy you on that day that you get to enjoy one of those beautiful cigars!

stereo.pete
12-13-2012, 02:21 PM
I am enjoying an El Triunfador Robusto with a cup of cheap and bland Target coffee. I just got back from the cigar shop and picked up a couple of Quesada Oktoberfest Kurz's, a Quesada Daga Salamon, a L'At 52 and finally Four Kicks Mule Kick EL.

stereo.pete
12-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Late night cigar (Fuente Don Carlos #4) and my new Palio cigar lighter, paired up with a Goose Island Bourbon County '12.

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6798/doncarlos.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/502/doncarlos.jpg/)

Mike Davis
12-15-2012, 12:24 PM
I love coffee and a cigar. I buy dunkin donuts beans and grind fresh daily. If i get a chance to enjoy a cigar with it, usually a Montecristo #2, a Hoyo de Nicaragua, or a Padron 1926 anniversario. I have some Romeo y Julietta i have been aging for the last 10 years or so i am kind of anxious to try.

jmforge
12-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Either of the Padron anniversary lines are VERY nice. They are right up there with the upper end Fuentes like Opus, Don Carlos, etc, and early Dominican Davidoffs as far as the consistently best non-Cuban smokes that I have tried.

stereo.pete
12-20-2012, 12:30 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img268/7519/panaceawhite.jpg

I picked up a box of these cigars on a whim and I must say I have been pleasantly surprised.

cnochef
12-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Nothing like sitting in Placa del Pi in oldtown Barcelona, enjoying a morning cafe con leche and a nice creamy Montecristo #4 while watching the pretty ladies walk by.

stereo.pete
12-23-2012, 10:51 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img89/455/kurzl.jpg

I've been reading about the brand Quesada ever since I dived back into cigars and this was my first. I have to say that this is right on par with the Illusione 68 if not a little better. Rock solid medium to full-bodied smoke with lots of rich flavors, no bitterness or harshness.

stereo.pete
12-27-2012, 10:37 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img267/5258/682c.jpg

pumbaa
12-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Had an aging room m356 for Christmas pretty nice smoke

stereo.pete
12-27-2012, 11:47 PM
Had an aging room m356 for Christmas pretty nice smoke

I will check one of those out when I get the chance Pumbaa, thanks for sharing.

P.S. This is what my awesome wife gave me for Christmas.

http://imageshack.us/a/img802/2579/53282416.jpg

stereo.pete
12-28-2012, 01:57 PM
I just picked up these from the local shop with some gift cards I received from Christmas. http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6186/recenti.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/35/recenti.jpg/)

jmforge
12-28-2012, 03:44 PM

Duckfat
12-28-2012, 06:05 PM
What Opus X is that in the box? That things a beast!

jmforge
12-28-2012, 07:22 PM
What Opus X is that in the box? That things a beast! That one is the "A" size 9x47. It also happens to be from the first year they released the Opus X line back in the 90's so it should be ready by now. :-D

jmforge
12-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Actually, I think that it is over 9 1/2 long because the Padron next to it is supposed to be the same type, but it is a little under 9.

stereo.pete
12-29-2012, 01:31 AM
That's one hell of a lineup *******!

jmforge
12-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks. That Opus X A was made in 1992 because they aged them for 2 years in their humidors and didn't actually release the line for sale for the first time until 1994. So it has been aging for 20 years. You can see in the picture how much more red the wrapper is that the newer Opus double corona. I don't remember what it cost back then. There was a limit of two per customer where I found them (a mall store of all places) so i bought one for myself and one for my dad. The funny part is that I have consumed two Montecristo A's and one of the other Cuban giants in that time period because we were going places like London, Paris, Mexico and Cuba where you could find them. These things were harder to get! I just found them retailing for $37 per stick on line and a limit of one per customer per order.
That's one hell of a lineup *******!

stereo.pete
01-04-2013, 09:09 AM
http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/2143/casamagna.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/547/casamagna.jpg/)

Mike Davis
01-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Dammit...you guys are making me want to smoke lol. Great looking stuff guys :)

stereo.pete
01-04-2013, 07:11 PM
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7795/plps.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/plps.jpg/)

jmforge
01-04-2013, 09:30 PM
Did you make a run for the border? :biggrin:
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7795/plps.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/plps.jpg/)

stereo.pete
01-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Let's just say a friend from another forum was an enabler...:biggrin:

stereo.pete
01-08-2013, 12:27 AM
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1968/triunfador.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/triunfador.jpg/)

DeepCSweede
01-08-2013, 10:45 AM
Wife's gone for two weeks to Florida, time to see what's in the humidor. It's not that I can't smoke while she is around, I just do not have time with the baby and stuff to do around the house. Now, I should be able to hit a few over the next two weeks. Also, higher temps will be a little easier outside.

stereo.pete
01-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Starting the day with a few cups of fresh ground Nicaraguan coffee and an E.P. Carillo Robusto.

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2783/epcarillo.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/69/epcarillo.jpg/)

stereo.pete
01-13-2013, 01:42 AM
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/5268/padron26.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/72/padron26.jpg/)

stereo.pete
01-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Enjoying a cup of Costco kona coffee and one of these tasty sticks.
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9711/jalapa.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/jalapa.jpg/)

jmforge
01-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Pete what is Costco getting for Kona? Fresh Market is getting in the $40 a pound range for allegedly real pure Kona and Blue Mountain when they have it.
Enjoying a cup of Costco kona coffee and one of these tasty sticks.
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9711/jalapa.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/jalapa.jpg/)

stereo.pete
01-14-2013, 08:08 AM
I bought a bag of organic Kona coffee from Costco, I want to say it's about a 2.5-3lb bag for 14.99 so I doubt it is legit.

Duckfat
01-14-2013, 09:51 AM
That sounds like the Kona blend they sell here @ Costco. There's no regulation on the % of beans that is required to be in any Kona blend. Not that it matters any if you like it. The only Costco I've seen with 100% kona was at the Kona Costco.

jmforge
01-14-2013, 10:57 PM
That sounds like the Kona blend they sell here @ Costco. There's no regulation on the % of beans that is required to be in any Kona blend. Not that it matters any if you like it. The only Costco I've seen with 100% kona was at the Kona Costco.
Dave, 10% seems to be the general number for those "blends"especially at under $12 a pound!!! Years ago, we could score Blue Mountain in Miami for a semi reasonable price, but now that over 80% of it goes to Japan, it is not easy to find even down where. I think that last time that I saw any at Publix here in Tampa was around 98 or 99.

keithsaltydog
01-15-2013, 12:24 PM
I buy small bags of Kona Beans,grind per drip cup in wirlygig,store remainder of beans in vacuum seal container.I have found that buying small batches of beans works better as that rich flavor gets less after a week even using whole beans.

jmforge
01-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Yeah, but you can get the stuff at the local diner!! :lol2: But seriously, I am no coffee nut, but I have heard that if you buy them "green"/unroasted, the beans will last longer. anyone know about that? Oxygen is the enemy as it is in many caes. The notrigen pressurized cans of ground Illy have a shelf life of 3 years.
I buy small bags of Kona Beans,grind per drip cup in wirlygig,store remainder of beans in vacuum seal container.I have found that buying small batches of beans works better as that rich flavor gets less after a week even using whole beans.

stereo.pete
01-16-2013, 03:45 PM
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/6936/undercrown.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/undercrown.jpg/)

DeepCSweede
01-16-2013, 06:46 PM
I am such a loser - one week without my wife and I still haven't fired one up. Grrrr.
BTW, I picked up the kona blend at Costco too. I am not really sold on it yet. It has a good flavor but is pretty light for my taste. However, it made a pretty decent rub for a ribeye, you just can't flare it up on the grill too much. First try was a faliure because of the flare up - second try, I put a cast plate between the meat and the flame to much better results. next time is going to be on a cast iron pan.

Duckfat
01-16-2013, 08:12 PM
I am no coffee nut, but I have heard that if you buy them "green"/unroasted, the beans will last longer. anyone know about that?

I still haven't gone down the path of roasting but some of the other guys here do. I think Jason is roasting his own beans and there was a coffee thread in the past. I haven't tried any blends in years but I used to drink a Kona/Costa Rican blend that was mighty tasty.

AFKitchenknivesguy
01-16-2013, 08:18 PM
I still haven't gone down the path of roasting but some of the other guys here do. I think Jason is roasting his own beans and there was a coffee thread in the past. I haven't tried any blends in years but I used to drink a Kona/Costa Rican blend that was mighty tasty.

I do roast my own beans! Green beans will last at least a year if kept at room temperature and low moisture. Many people vacuum pack them and freeze them to last for many years. Roasting can be cheap or sky is the limit on machines. I recommend a Behmor for the starting roaster. Easy and within reason for price.

keithsaltydog
01-16-2013, 11:15 PM
I do roast my own beans! Green beans will last at least a year if kept at room temperature and low moisture. Many people vacuum pack them and freeze them to last for many years. Roasting can be cheap or sky is the limit on machines. I recommend a Behmor for the starting roaster. Easy and within reason for price.

Boy your roasting area must smell good.On average how often do you roast your beans?A while back I visited a friend in Arizona,went to a coffee house that had a large roaster as a centerpiece,the smoke somehow he directed to the street,I thought that was a great idea.

AFKitchenknivesguy
01-16-2013, 11:28 PM
12 oz per week. I drink tea and espresso on the weekends (I buy Redbird and freeze it). I roast outside, but fresh roasted coffee does smell good.

stereo.pete
01-18-2013, 09:56 PM
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/9275/molotov.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/molotov.jpg/)

keithsaltydog
01-19-2013, 03:43 PM
I can see how getting a Behmor roaster & green beans is not as crazy as it sounds.If you roast outside,you be popular wt. the neighbors:coffeelove:

stereo.pete
01-19-2013, 11:15 PM
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/1453/melanio.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/502/melanio.jpg/)

AFKitchenknivesguy
01-20-2013, 12:44 AM
I can see how getting a Behmor roaster & green beans is not as crazy as it sounds.If you roast outside,you be popular wt. the neighbors:coffeelove:

Keith, I am really jealous of the close vicinity you have to good Kona beans. Of course I can order them online. I am also jealous of where you are.

keithsaltydog
01-20-2013, 01:58 AM
They are not cheap here either,I like a good quality cup of coffee in the morning,I have found that grinding fresh beans to order works for me.Because it is so sunny in these parts,I make a gallon of Sun tea every couple days.Glass gallon jar 7 green tea bags.Gently brews in the sun for a smooth tasting Ice Tea.

Duckfat
01-20-2013, 08:02 AM
Keith, I am really jealous of the close vicinity you have to good Kona beans. Of course I can order them online. I am also jealous of where you are.

Every Coffee fan should make it to Kona at least once in their life for the harvest. The roasters are going full tilt. You can see the cherries getting picked/washed. The added up-side is that between Thanksgiving and around the 10th of December it's low season in Kona. Low traffic, cheaper rooms, no crowds at the restaurants. It's certainly my idea of heaven. Mountains, ocean, perfect weather and killer coffee.

jmforge
01-20-2013, 12:28 PM
For me, if there were any tasty fish biting, that would be the real excuse to go. And it appears that late November/early December is the BEST time for both mahi and bigeye tuna. :biggrin:
Every Coffee fan should make it to Kona at least once in their life for the harvest. The roasters are going full tilt. You can see the cherries getting picked/washed. The added up-side is that between Thanksgiving and around the 10th of December it's low season in Kona. Low traffic, cheaper rooms, no crowds at the restaurants. It's certainly my idea of heaven. Mountains, ocean, perfect weather and killer coffee.

keithsaltydog
01-20-2013, 12:52 PM
BTW I've been watching Wicked Tuna.Do you know what kind of line they are using?We used to use a chum bag bottom fishing for Onaga & Opakapaka, a handcrank meat grinder wt. fish parts & oatmeal.As the weighted line bottoms out the coneshape bag inverts & dumps it's contents.Lines had 4 hooks spaced apart on 90% side liters about 2' long.When fish hit you can feel it through the line over your fingertip then take up slack coiling line on deck & wait for another hit.Some times you get a fish on all 4 hooks.Interesting to see their setup & how they catch those huge Bluefin Tuna.

Dave & Jimforge they are still farming the Kampachi on the Big Island.In a recent Hawaii cooks show they prepared Big Island farmed Kampachi.

welshstar
01-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Pete

Where do u get your smokes in Chicago ?

Alan

welshstar
01-20-2013, 02:25 PM
Pete

Where do u get your smokes in Chicago ?

Alan

Mike Davis
01-20-2013, 02:56 PM
And to +1 Alan's post, How often do you find the Padron 1926 anniversaries? Been looking for some for a while, none to be had around here.

welshstar
01-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Mike

I can hook u up, my cigar store has all the pardons. Smoked a 85 natural last night, awesome.

I still owe u a smoke if I recall, not sure I ever sent you anything as promised

Alan

DeepCSweede
01-20-2013, 05:09 PM

Finally got to have one last night along with a nice korbel on the rocks.

DeepCSweede
01-20-2013, 05:10 PM

Finally got to have one last night along with a nice korbel on the rocks.

LaGloria Cubana Series R - been in my humidor at least 10 years

welshstar
01-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Only in Wisconsin is korbel nice !!!

stereo.pete
01-20-2013, 09:25 PM
I shop at Binny's because their selection is quite awesome, at least the one near my house. Other than that I order online for box purchases.

DeepCSweede
01-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Only in Wisconsin is korbel nice !!!

Hey - we drink 80% of their production here in Sconnie - what can I say.

stereo.pete
01-21-2013, 02:48 PM
I just picked up these...

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4223/purch.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/purch.jpg/)

stereo.pete
01-24-2013, 08:22 PM
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/5457/ateliero.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/823/ateliero.jpg/)

Beautiful construction but plagued with crazy burn issues...lame.

stereo.pete
01-30-2013, 01:02 AM
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/9921/padronbox.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/padronbox.jpg/)

stereo.pete
02-05-2013, 12:44 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img831/1442/mcwrobustoii.jpg

stereo.pete
02-07-2013, 09:34 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img839/7370/duena.jpg

Dream Burls
02-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Thought I'd chime in since I just smoked my first Cuban. The wife and I took a long weekend in Bermuda so I was able to pick up a couple of Havanas: one Cohiba and one Romeo and Juliet. Just finished the Cohiba with the only coffee I could come up with in the hotel room - Keurig house blend decaf. Not what I would have wished for, but better than nothing. The Cohiba was nice, smooth and mellow, but I actually prefer my typical smoke which is the Stradivarius. Love cigars, but I lean towards the light side. Glad to see you guys enjoy more than knives.

stereo.pete
02-09-2013, 11:30 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img441/6650/mcwliga1.jpg

stereo.pete
02-10-2013, 12:24 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img541/716/fuente858.jpg
858 natural

stereo.pete
02-11-2013, 08:37 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img268/2983/avionw.jpg

stereo.pete
02-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Just finished this great cigar with a few drams of Buffalo Trace.

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/1637/jdng.jpg

playford
02-17-2013, 08:44 PM
cigars and bourbon = nice.

I like a nice sipping rum too.

stereo.pete
02-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Any rums you would recommend?

DSChief
02-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Any rums you would recommend?

http://www.pussers.com/t-rum.aspx

DeepCSweede
02-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Here are my favorite Rums Pete
El Dorado 21 year
El Dorado 12 year - Personally this is one of my favorite sipping rums for the price
Royal Oak (Hard to get in the states - I have a trinidad connection that hooks me up occassionally)
Ron Zacapa Centenario (23 year)
Ron Zacapa XO 25 year
Zaya Gran reserva

Personally the El Dorado 12 is my go to Rum - the other ones just depend on mood and those are just the sipping rums except I will occasionally mix Zaya.
If I am mixing mojito's I generally use Appleton Estates and rum and coke is the Captain

Duckfat
02-25-2013, 07:37 PM

BTW if any one is interested I'm going to send the custom wood humidor in this photo to auction soon. It's been setting on my shelf way too long and I rarely smoke any more. Besides I need the coin for a new pipe. :biggrin: It really is a Gem made out of Padauk, Morado, Birds Eye Maple and Spanish Cedar. I'd make any one here a really nice price before I list it. Just shoot me a Pm if interested. I'll be taking pictures tomorrow.

stereo.pete
02-26-2013, 10:43 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img197/1006/cardinal2.jpg

stereo.pete
03-02-2013, 11:57 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img600/2931/plpc.jpg

PLPC and I nubbed it!

stereo.pete
03-03-2013, 04:17 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img69/1527/laduenac.jpg

stereo.pete
03-05-2013, 11:39 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img831/2224/mcwburn.jpg

stereo.pete
03-09-2013, 03:04 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img268/5488/daga.JPG

stereo.pete
03-23-2013, 11:29 AM
This is currently an amazing smoke!
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/949/hupmann.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/hupmann.jpg/)

DeepCSweede
03-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Rub it in Pete!!

stereo.pete
03-23-2013, 08:50 PM
I am just trying to keep this thread alive, start sharing some pictures of what you are smoking!

stereo.pete
03-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Celebrating Easter with a Padron #6 1926 Maduro

http://imageshack.us/a/img542/3644/paddys.jpg

stereo.pete
10-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Going to give some life back to this thread. I am ending my vacation with a bottle of Bulleit bourbon and one of my favorite smokes.

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/1106/ks7x.jpg

brianh
10-26-2013, 08:42 PM
I hate to admit it, but the Ikea French press at $13 is damn good. I like it better than the Bodum I had, and more than some other $25 (cant recall brand) one from Bed Bath & Beyond that broke in to weeks. Strains the grinds nicely and is pretty sturdy. 3-4 cups out of it.

stereo.pete
10-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Just had a cup of Whole Food's breakfast blend, pretty good to this coffee newbie. I paired this Don Carlos with the coffee to make a wonderful afternoon treat!

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/1126/apfm.jpg

Mucho Bocho
10-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Classy stuff Pete.

Richard78
01-16-2014, 04:44 PM
Coffee and cigars are a perfect combination.
Mojitos and cigars are not bad either.
I love to smoke cigars, nice to see that there is a topic dedicated to that here.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/827/dsc04454l.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/mzdsc04454lj)

stereo.pete
03-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Cigar weather is finally back in Chicago, thank God! My good buddy Dave from Florida sent me this stick to try out. Thanks a bunch! Nice mild to medium bodied and flavored cigar, which is a change of pace from my usual medium to full bodied cigars I smoke. I am pairing it with a pot of Red Bird Moka Peaberry coffee from Brazil.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xq90/834/7x26.jpg

Dave and I were also throwing around the idea of starting a cigar pass but we wanted to test the waters for interest. Let us know in this thread if you would like to participate.

larrybard
03-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Dave and I were also throwing around the idea of starting a cigar pass but we wanted to test the waters for interest. Let us know in this thread if you would like to participate.

How many puffs would I be allowed of the cigar before I was obligated to pass it along?

daveb
03-22-2014, 01:49 PM
How many puffs would I be allowed of the cigar before I was obligated to pass it along?

Two. And if you don't like it you can return it....:groucho:

Seriously this is in infancy stage. I was thinking of an exchange where interested members put name in hat, a drawing would assign another particpating member's name, each participant would then select 3-4 of their favorites (cap at $25?) and send them to their assignee. No one would be assigned themselves. So everyone sends a small package, everyone receives a small package. We all burn through some new sticks.

I've seen this as spice/rub exchanges on bbq forums, looked like fun.

Suggestions welcome.

If it works out repeat.

I'm willing to do the drawing and coordinate shipping addy's.

wellminded1
03-22-2014, 03:25 PM
I would be down with the pass along project.

wellminded1
04-24-2014, 09:22 PM
Anything happening with the pass along?