PDA

View Full Version : Talk me out of wanting a nakiri

jonhaber
11-08-2012, 05:47 PM
The opposite of many posts here. I just got a nice gyuto. I have the urge to buy another knife. Tell me why I don't need a nakiri and save me some money :)

GlassEye
11-08-2012, 05:49 PM
You should get a nakiri.

Vertigo
11-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Get a nakiri. They're fun. :)

WildBoar
11-08-2012, 05:55 PM
I had the pleasure of babysitting three of Butch Harner's nakiris last weekend. All I can say is -- buy one!

Benuser
11-08-2012, 06:03 PM
You need a nakiri, sure, but before that, you REALLY need a sujihiki.

cclin
11-08-2012, 06:03 PM
nakiri is much more fun than gyuto for chopping vegetable:tease:

jonhaber
11-08-2012, 06:04 PM
damn you all :P

WildBoar
11-08-2012, 06:08 PM
You need a nakiri, sure, but before that, you REALLY need a sujihiki.I respectfully disagree.

You need a nakiri first, so you can cut up the vegetables to feed to the cows, pigs, etc. The once they are all grown up you will need a nice suji (or three) :knight:

Benuser
11-08-2012, 06:17 PM
I respectfully disagree.

You need a nakiri first, so you can cut up the vegetables to feed to the cows, pigs, etc. The once they are all grown up you will need a nice suji (or three) :knight:

I have to disagree, not less respectfully, though. How will you feed the guy who has to cut up these vegetables??

Jmadams13
11-08-2012, 06:25 PM
I'll talk you out of it.... Buy a Chinese Cleaver

Zwiefel
11-08-2012, 06:43 PM
funny thread.

I JUST got a Nakiri from the BST and find that they are a lot of fun for chopping...a bit more wieldy than the Chinese cleavers (for my skills + experience anyway).

Dunno if you are married, but there seems to be a trend of ladies liking the Nakiri but not gyuto (and in my case, also not Chinese cleaver).

schanop
11-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Second Chinese cleaver proposal

DwarvenChef
11-08-2012, 06:48 PM
The opposite of many posts here. I just got a nice gyuto. I have the urge to buy another knife. Tell me why I don't need a nakiri and save me some money :)

Ummm ya right NOT gonna happen on this forum LOL :P

I have 3 Nakiri and love each one for it's own uses, Cleavers are an experience all to themselves :) I still use one at work when I cut up the veg :)

Vertigo
11-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Dunno if you are married, but there seems to be a trend of ladies liking the Nakiri but not gyuto (and in my case, also not Chinese cleaver).
Coming from a place where women drive ****-clobbering pickup trucks, shoot big freaking rifles, and have no trouble field dressing bucks six times their own weight, this sounds to me more the result (and perpetuation) of sexist and illogical marketing hogwash. Lol.

Zwiefel
11-08-2012, 07:15 PM
Vertigo, just summarizing several anecdotes I've heard (including my personal experience). Generalizations are worth what you pay for them though...maybe less.

Eamon Burke
11-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Nakiris are fantastic little knives. Before my knife nut days, that's what I used and really liked it.

Lucretia
11-08-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm not that wild about my Nakiri--I like my gyuto better. When I get around to thinning it I might change my mind. I miss having a point.

Mae West said it best: "I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing."

http://moviesovermatter.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/1933-mae-west.jpg?w=272&h=300

kalaeb
11-08-2012, 07:50 PM
I use my nakiri maybe once a month just so it does not feel left out. I would get a suji or another gyuto before a nakiri.

Burl Source
11-08-2012, 07:54 PM
The only Nakiri I have ever used is one made for me by Butch.
I use it as much or more than any of my other knives for veggies.

Maybe I am a little weird, but....
It makes me feel good because I have fun using it.
Looks cool too.

Zwiefel
11-08-2012, 07:59 PM
I can see I should have chosen my words more carefully...that's what I get for being in a hurry. :slaphead:

The hekler
11-08-2012, 08:12 PM
I'd get a parer or a suji first everything a nakiri can do can be done with a gyuto.

cclin
11-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Second Chinese cleaver proposal
+1:laugh:

Cutty Sharp
11-08-2012, 09:14 PM
I'd get a parer or a suji first everything a nakiri can do can be done with a gyuto.

Can be done, but sometimes ain't nothin' better.

Xuster
11-09-2012, 12:20 AM
+1:laugh:

+whatever it's at right now for a Chinese cleaver

jonhaber
11-09-2012, 01:13 AM
All the cleaver people do you recommend getting a japanese carbon cleaver or whatever the local asian mart has?

mr drinky
11-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Nakiris are great IMO, and you can get a good one really cheap. Try a cheap one out, have fun, learn to sharpen something different, and then decide what you like (upgraded nakiri or a different knife)

k.

stereo.pete
11-09-2012, 01:56 AM
My recommendation would be to purchase a Murray Carter Nakiri, which IMO is the best damn Nakiri money can buy!

schanop
11-09-2012, 02:21 AM
All the cleaver people do you recommend getting a japanese carbon cleaver or whatever the local asian mart has?

Good Japanese Carbon/Stainless/Semistainless will do.

zitangy
11-09-2012, 03:22 AM
why I am looking for a good Nakiri....

1) it allows a chop cut motion which is more economical in motion as opposed to a push or pull cut.

2) most Nakiris are less than 50mm high. My ideal one must have knuckle clearance which shld be higher than 56mm like the one Will Catcheside made which will be a US pass around adn also the one that Bishamon ( Nathan) just let go and the one that I missed. With a higher blade, it will be an efficient scooper too which wld be ideal for a home cook as there is always something that I forget to prep. Also with the wider blade.. it will be great for flattening/smashing garlic.

3) thus I am going to try custom make 60mm, 70mm high, length from 16cm , 17cm and 20cm long ( stainless steel), western handle so that it one of the dimensions will hopefully be a perfect one for me; Hopefully . The maximum weight shld be no more than an average german chef's knife ( oh, abt 225grams). All those in the market, as far as I know weighs more than 300grams and some 400+. Too heavy for my feeble hands.

4) Spoken and emailed to a few makers in Japan.. so far no success. However, one of them shows some promise. Will see whether it makes sense for him to do these odd pieces.

Have fun and stay sharp..

rgds d

apicius9
11-09-2012, 03:49 AM
why I am looking for a good Nakiri....

1) it allows a chop cut motion which is more economical in motion as opposed to a push or pull cut.

2) most Nakiris are less than 50mm high. My ideal one must have knuckle clearance which shld be higher than 56mm like the one Will Catcheside made which will be a US pass around adn also the one that Bishamon ( Nathan) just let go and the one that I missed. With a higher blade, it will be an efficient scooper too which wld be ideal for a home cook as there is always something that I forget to prep. Also with the wider blade.. it will be great for flattening/smashing garlic.

3) thus I am going to try custom make 60mm, 70mm high, length from 16cm , 17cm and 20cm long ( stainless steel), western handle so that it one of the dimensions will hopefully be a perfect one for me; Hopefully . The maximum weight shld be no more than an average german chef's knife ( oh, abt 225grams). All those in the market, as far as I know weighs more than 300grams and some 400+. Too heavy for my feeble hands.

4) Spoken and emailed to a few makers in Japan.. so far no success. However, one of them shows some promise. Will see whether it makes sense for him to do these odd pieces.

Have fun and stay sharp..

rgds d

You are pretty much describing the nakiri design of Butch Harner. He made one for me that is a bit higher at the heel for better knuckle clearance and these days I reach for it more often than for my Carter nakiri. F you want to go custom anyway, definitely keep Butch in mind.

Stefan

zitangy
11-09-2012, 06:35 AM
Hey,

thanks for the lead ( to Butch).. could you point me in the direction of where I can glean pics and dimensions of your lovely toy?

Somehow you have figured this out earlier and this size has to be custom made as it does seem that there is not much demand for this size. I am sure that you have a lot of fun with it .

Waiting for a reply from a Japanese maker for stainless steel( swedish steel) with Western handle ( eco wood). If it is a go, it shld be within a month from the word go.. we shall see...

again. thanks..
rgds
d

You are pretty much describing the nakiri design of Butch Harner. He made one for me that is a bit higher at the heel for better knuckle clearance and these days I reach for it more often than for my Carter nakiri. F you want to go custom anyway, definitely keep Butch in mind.

Stefan

apicius9
11-09-2012, 07:03 AM
Here is a pic of it, the perspective is a little warped. Mine is in O1 with a forced patina, but Previously I had one made by Butch in CPM154 that I liked, it was just a touch shorter. Too tired for measure right now, but mine is about 185mm which I find perfect, the standard 165mm is too short. And, as you can see, mine is wa handled but that should not be an issue if you custom order.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/113566499328625321427/albums/5147794625334475521/5501007432698236898

stevenStefano
11-09-2012, 09:01 AM
I don't have a nakiri and never will buy one. Seems like a waste of money to me, I'd have another gyuto over a nakiri every time. I can't see any use I'd find for it in work, any veg I cut I can do much faster and easier with a gyuto

zitangy
11-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Tks for the lovely pics.. More confident and inspired with the project after your post above.

Who knows?? may not turn out to be THE knife that I have in mind.. but unless I make that journey and put the "dream knife" thru its paces, I will never know.. Other than that.. it only remains a theory based on hopefully correct assumptions....

Again, thanks.
rgds
D

Here is a pic of it, the perspective is a little warped. Mine is in O1 with a forced patina, but Previously I had one made by Butch in CPM154 that I liked, it was just a touch shorter. Too tired for measure right now, but mine is about 185mm which I find perfect, the standard 165mm is too short. And, as you can see, mine is wa handled but that should not be an issue if you custom order.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/113566499328625321427/albums/5147794625334475521/5501007432698236898

JasonD
11-09-2012, 11:07 AM

For your first one, I would grab a cheap carbon cleaver at your asian market. Shouldn't cost you more than $20 or so and it'll give you a good idea whether you like the style or not. It won't hold an edge very long, but it will sharpen back up in a couple passes on a stone.

Chifunda
11-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Tell me why I don't need a nakiri and save me some money :)

Can't help you, pal. They'll have to pry my Harner from my cold dead hands. :nunchucks:

jigert
11-10-2012, 03:22 AM
http://sharpandshinyshop.com/collections/frontpage/products/butch-harner-nakiri :whistling: