PDA

View Full Version : I don't get the newspaper strop.

Don Nguyen
11-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Every time I've tried it I've been unsuccessful.

The paper starts to bunch up and sometimes fall apart. I don't get an even surface for stropping, and it's just so inconvenient and annoying. Can't comment too much on actual results; I've never actually followed through with trying it. Am I using the wrong kind of newspaper? I've tried Vietnamese papers, grocery store stuff, and even mall catalogs.

I've been just finishing on a 3k stone, sometimes a quick strop on plain leather and that gives a really good bite. Maybe it's because I'm just looking to get a decent edge and not an extremely insane one that I don't see the merits of newspaper - at what point does newspaper actually give good results?

JBroida
11-17-2012, 03:42 PM
can you explain how you're using the newspaper? I've never had it fall apart

Don Nguyen
11-17-2012, 03:59 PM
I put a piece to cover the stone and try to crease the edges a little bit to keep it from going everywhere. The stone is still a bit damp. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong?

keithsaltydog
11-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Could be Murry Carter uses this tech in his advanced Sharpening DVD,after seeing this I tried putting newspaper on the stone stropping my spyderco's..Stropping on dry newsprint on a table is good for burr removal,cleaning up the edge.Chiharu Sugai says it works well wt. stainless steel knives.I have found it works for both SS & carbon.

GlassEye
11-17-2012, 06:16 PM
I put a piece to cover the stone and try to crease the edges a little bit to keep it from going everywhere. The stone is still a bit damp. Maybe that's where I'm going wrong?

Try wrapping a sheet around the stone a couple of times, so water doesn't get to the top layer, and it won't move if you tuck the edge under the stone.

JBroida
11-17-2012, 06:25 PM
try using the newspaper not on the stone and not damp... just find a clean dry surface and give it a shot there

stevenStefano
11-17-2012, 06:32 PM
I usually get about 3 sheets and fold it over my dry Atoma and sorta fold it underneath it so it is a tight fit

Don Nguyen
11-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Ok, I'll give that a try next time. Thanks everyone :)

SameGuy
11-17-2012, 06:55 PM
How about an old phone book?

tk59
11-17-2012, 07:25 PM
I was at Jon's shop a few months ago and I witnessed a miracle: Junpei-san sharpened a knife for me and deburred by taking a magazine in his hand and lightly rubbing the edge on it from side to side on it. It took 5 seconds. As far as I could tell, the burr was nearly all gone when he was done.

Don Nguyen
11-17-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm having trouble visualizing that - do you hold the magazine like a roll, and then swipe the edge perpendicular to it? Sounds like a neat technique!

GlassEye
11-17-2012, 07:36 PM
I was at Jon's shop a few months ago and I witnessed a miracle: Junpei-san sharpened a knife for me and deburred by taking a magazine in his hand and lightly rubbing the edge on it from side to side on it. It took 5 seconds. As far as I could tell, the burr was nearly all gone when he was done.

Please, explain this further.

JBroida
11-17-2012, 07:47 PM
he put it over his thigh as i recall

tk59
11-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Please, explain this further.Well, if there's some explanation, I wouldn't be able to give it to you. The dude doesn't speak english. He sharpened it. I tried to convey the fact that I saw a burr and asked him (non-verbally) to deburr, just so I could check out how he does it. He just picked up a magazine in his hand, half-rolled up and just swished the blade back and forth a few times and handed it back to me. I looked for the burr and found just a little left on the heel. It was pretty nonchalant-looking. I'm used to seeing people be pretty careful about it.

JBroida
11-17-2012, 07:55 PM
if you do a solid job in your sharpening, burrs come off easy

hax9215
11-17-2012, 08:10 PM
he put it over his thigh as i recall

:sad0: Braver men than me. Not with MY knives!!!

Hax the Cook CLEAVERS RULE!!! :D

makanouchi
11-19-2012, 05:10 PM
I think we need a video.

JBroida
11-19-2012, 05:50 PM
i've got a long list of videos to get around to... i'm working on it.

Mrmnms
11-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Use light pressure, use same angle you sharpened at and draw the knife away from the bade edge, holding the paper behind the blade edge. No crumpling. Just a convenient alternative.

Mrmnms
11-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Wet newspaper ? Really now

Zwiefel
11-20-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm hardly admirable at any of this sharpening business but....I decided to give the newspaper strop a go. It's been a couple of weeks since I put a new edge on anything. I tried: suisin inox honyaki, watanabe nakiri, gengetsu petty, zakuri petty, and a carter funy. In each case it clearly touched up the edge nicely. I compared before/after by cutting copy paper and news paper...no spare veggies hanging about.

It was also my first attempt at using anything for a strop except my waterstones. seemed pretty easy/straightforward to get decent results. I just laid one thin, folded section near the edge of the counter and used the same motion as I do on the stones and as I've seen other KKFers do in various videos.

I'll definitely make this a regular part of my sharpening routine.

My $.02.

Benuser
11-20-2012, 07:09 PM
Dry newspaper, some three sheets, preferably with a lot of black ink and no other colors, I would say. My stones are always somewhat damp, so I use a cedar cigar box.

cookinstuff
11-20-2012, 07:18 PM
It's funny, I have tried stropping with compounds and leather, but nothing does it for me like a nice piece of inky dry newspaper over a stone, best strop I have ever tried. My boron carbide, chromium oxide and my kanoyama go unused, but I love a piece of newspaper.

Benuser
11-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Try the roll: it makes it much easier to follow the blade's profile than a flat surface.

ajhuff
11-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Who gets newspapers anymore?

-AJ

Lucretia
11-21-2012, 12:07 AM
We get a weekly local rag. It's got the police reports, which are pretty darn entertaining. Although not so much since a local dive of a bar closed.

keithsaltydog
11-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Who gets newspapers anymore?

-AJ

Yeh two Newspapers are now down to one here.Since Craigslist they are hard pressed for advertising,how times change.

Mike9
11-22-2012, 09:47 AM
I use a piece of cardboard held with spring clamps to the edge of a table. When I'm done stopping with that I put the fold of the newspaper under the C-board to hold it in place while I strop. I tried fresh news print paper, but it didn't raise the micro bur like ink does.

Dr_Jim
11-23-2012, 01:31 AM
My very old & sagacious friend 'Tex' Grove kept all of his boat-working chisels in spooky sharp condition - he carried a long, narrow strip of what he called 'Pretty damn fine Flatland Bluestone..." which I think was from northern Europe somewhere, and that he claimed:

"The little guy works like a sum-***** 'cause of all the tiny Garnet chunks put lots of tooth on the edge with just a couple of strokes. Ya see the trick is to get some bite ta the edge and then sort of whap it inta shape with your strop - leave the teeth be, but polish the rest of the edge like heck and your chisel will just fly through cedar."

Tex's 'strop' was a recycled cardboard Safeway Egg carton - "Look, they're light, pack in my ditty bag, put down a polish like God's Teeth, and heck - I get a free one every week..."

On all my white and blue steel knives, a few strokes with a Mac ceramic hone followed 10-20 strops on a egg carton seems to keep them about a sharp as I'd like in my kitchen. The VG-10 Shun and Ryusen knives seem to want some work with a 6000 grit shapton stone followed by the strop - they seem pretty unimpressed by the ceramic hone, I'm not sure why.

Cheers

Jim

Sarge
11-23-2012, 06:13 PM
I tried this the other day as well and found it to be great at removing the last of whatever remains and even an ok touch up medium. Glad I gave it a go.

Chifunda
11-23-2012, 09:00 PM
I read the New York Times online every morning. Tried stropping one of my knives on it and all it did was f#^& up the screen of my laptop. What's up with that? :scratchhead:

Don Nguyen
11-23-2012, 09:13 PM
I read the New York Times online every morning. Tried stropping one of my knives on it and all it did was f#^& up the screen of my laptop. What's up with that? :scratchhead:

:laugh:

daddy yo yo
11-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Who gets newspapers anymore?you can try with an ipad too! :eek2:

keithsaltydog
12-01-2012, 01:58 PM
OOO:rofl2:can't store carbon blades wrapped in a screen reader either.