PDA

View Full Version : Kramer carving set

markenki
11-20-2012, 07:20 PM
The Kramer carving set for sale today went for $39,100. Wow. Crazy money.

Von blewitt
11-20-2012, 07:29 PM
I wonder if it will ever touch a turkey? Drawer queen for sure!

WillC
11-20-2012, 07:31 PM
About the same price as new tyres for your Bugatti veyron:D

Lucretia
11-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Wow! I saw the picture in the email--it was pretty sweet. If I had it I'd use it. But at that price I'll never have one.

Kyle
11-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Anyone got pics?

Lucretia
11-20-2012, 10:33 PM
http://i9.createsend1.com/ei/r/F4/5E1/13C/105008/images/set.png

markenki
11-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Here you go.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h110/markenki/kramer_carving_set.png

ecchef
11-20-2012, 10:39 PM

franzb69
11-20-2012, 10:56 PM
lol. pretty. pretty freakin expensive too.

i'd rather take out a loan on a house.

The hekler
11-20-2012, 11:00 PM
The fork doesn't look all that practical, beautiful, yes but the tines don't look long enough and have way too much curve to them for me.

Lucretia
11-20-2012, 11:02 PM
The fork doesn't look all that practical, beautiful, yes but the tines don't look long enough and have way too much curve to them for me.

It's to use on people who won't stay out of the :curse: kitchen while you're trying to fix dinner.

Von blewitt
11-20-2012, 11:15 PM
lol. pretty. pretty freakin expensive too.

i'd rather take out a loan on a house.

I'd rather a 10 piece set of integral bolster dragon breath Damascus with integral bolster and Sheep horn handles from Bill Burke!

Johnny.B.Good
11-20-2012, 11:32 PM
All things being equal, I'd rather have a feather pattern suji from Devin.

franzb69
11-20-2012, 11:38 PM
+1 on von and johnny's post.

=D

Timthebeaver
11-21-2012, 02:40 AM
Don't like the fork at all. WillC's carving set far nicer.

Crothcipt
11-21-2012, 03:51 AM
Don't like the fork at all. WillC's carving set far nicer.

+1, for that price you could get 2 sets from each vender here.

quantumcloud509
11-21-2012, 04:05 AM
lame. sauce.

wenus2
11-21-2012, 05:36 AM

Lmao, + 1,000

stevenStefano
11-21-2012, 07:49 AM
No way they ever get used. Imagine losing a mm off the tip, it would be worth thousands

NO ChoP!
11-21-2012, 09:48 AM
I don't like to bash peoples work, but that fork looks more like something from Dungeons and Dragons. I can't imagine that piercing meat without seriously damaging it....

I'll stick with my $4 tongs and suji, and keep my $40 g's to make my next two years mortgage payments.

Wow.....

NO ChoP!
11-21-2012, 09:53 AM
I don't like to bash peoples work, but that fork looks more like something from Dungeons and Dragons. I can't imagine that piercing meat without seriously damaging it....

I'll stick with my $4 tongs and suji, and keep my $40 g's to make my next two years mortgage payments.

Wow.....

just imagine the set you'd get if you commissioned Marko or Mario with $40g's...

Canadian
11-21-2012, 05:03 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't pay $1000 for that knife/fork, but maybe that is because a) I don't like "damascus" and b) that fork is odd to say the least.

AFKitchenknivesguy
11-21-2012, 05:18 PM
I love these threads. Like the person who bought them has a mortgage or knows who our favorite knifemakers are. That's a cup of coffee to them.

Von blewitt
11-21-2012, 05:25 PM
I love these threads. Like the person who bought them has a mortgage or knows who our favorite knifemakers are. That's a cup of coffee to them.

You're probably right! Maybe I should commission some 1million layer Damascus billets from Randy and learn how to forge golf clubs, maybe a $40,000 integral shaft damascus putter will be the next big thing :)

AFKitchenknivesguy
11-21-2012, 05:31 PM
You're probably right! Maybe I should commission some 1million layer Damascus billets from Randy and learn how to forge golf clubs, maybe a $40,000 integral shaft damascus putter will be the next big thing :)

You certainly could, it's all about marketing and talent. More about marketing though.

shankster
11-21-2012, 05:43 PM

Agreed..Whoever bought this set is probably a serious collector with money to burn,what's $40 grand to them?
And who knows,maybe they already have customs from Devin T and some of the other forum members..

tk59
11-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Meh.

Marko Tsourkan
11-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Bob Kramer is an accomplished knife maker, as he can practically ask whatever he likes for his work and there will be a buyer. And that in itself must be a great feeling.

He has been a pioneer in US-made high-end kitchen knives, possibly contributed greatly to creating a market for high-end knives, and gave a lot of us upcoming makers something to strive for (and in some cases to look up to and learn from).

For that I tip my hat to him and have nothing for him but respect.

Whether you like his work and his prices or not, it's irrelevant. He has his own market.

M

Kyle
11-21-2012, 06:47 PM
I just want to know how these people find out who Bob Kramer is. Are they just really rich people that read one of the news articles about his knives being expensive and they buy them because he is the best and they NEED the best?

Are they avid cooks who happen to be filthy rich?

Are they rich knife collectors that want to add a kitchen knife to their collection and Kramer is the kitchen knife guy everyone knows?

I guess I'm just confused because if they're actually kitchen knife dorks like us shouldn't some of these would be Kramer customers end up ordering customs from Devin and Bill, etc.? Or maybe they are and we just don't know about it because they have other things to do than talk about knives all day. Does this even make sense?

Kyle
11-21-2012, 06:50 PM
BTW, I have no problem with Kramer and like Marko only have respect for him. If I could afford it, I'd own a Kramer. Just to say I own it. I'd also have a few Devin customs lying around. Ya know, for beaters. :wink:

Von blewitt
11-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Don't get me wrong I would love a 10 inch gyuto in 52100, and even though I can't really afford it if my name is drawn i would join the wait list. But even if I had more money then the pope I wouldn't spend 40 k on that knife and fork, each to there own though

AFKitchenknivesguy
11-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Like I said, marketing. Check out the high end magazines and mainstream media coverage:

http://kramerknives.com/press/

DeepCSweede
11-21-2012, 07:07 PM
I am sure there are more than a few of us who may have gotten into knives because of this marketing. I for one am one of them. While I have no desire to own a Kramer custom, I am more than happy owning a couple of ZK. The search for more info on Kramer led me here and for that I am infinitely grateful because my eyes were opened to this world. Now, I have a bunch of great makers to choose from.

Mrmnms
11-21-2012, 07:15 PM
I hope other excellent knife makers here in the states can taste some of this kind of reward. I also hope I can acquire a few examples before that happens.

brainsausage
11-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Did someone misplace the comma in the price of that there set? :dontknow:

Oh- btw there's a couple guys who could do it as well if not better for about a tenth of the price(Butch, Del, Devin, Marko, Mike, Pierre, Randy, Will...). Dunno if that's common knowledge... JUST THOUGHT I'D THROW THAT OUT THERE...

Crothcipt
11-21-2012, 08:05 PM

Oh- btw there's a couple guys who could do it as well if not better for about a tenth of the price(Butch, Del, Devin, Marko, Mike, Pierre, Randy, Will...). Dunno if that's common knowledge... JUST THOUGHT I'D THROW THAT OUT THERE...

Nope typical for his auctions. Like I said you could get a couple of sets from each maker here and a few others that aren't here for that price. I myself would def. raise the money if my name came up in the lottery, will I use the knife? Not sure have to cross that bridge when it happens.

Kyle
11-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Nope typical for his auctions. Like I said you could get a couple of sets from each maker here and a few others that aren't here for that price. I myself would def. raise the money if my name came up in the lottery, will I use the knife? Not sure have to cross that bridge when it happens.

But if you have the money you don't buy 10 Porsche 911s, you buy one Bugatti Veyron.

Crothcipt
11-21-2012, 08:19 PM
lol I don't drive so neither.:helicop::yatta:

Kyle
11-21-2012, 08:19 PM

It's a work of art. You buy it because you can own a piece by a maker who is at the top of his craft. Even if you can buy a functional equivalent for much less. It's the same as how a collector would rather have an original painting, not a giclee or print.

Delbert Ealy
11-21-2012, 08:40 PM
That's funny I'll be making some Damascus for some putters in a few weeks.

AFKitchenknivesguy
11-21-2012, 09:21 PM
It's a work of art. You buy it because you can own a piece by a maker who is at the top of his craft. Even if you can buy a functional equivalent for much less. It's the same as how a collector would rather have an original painting, not a giclee or print.

Could not have said it better myself.

Bill Burke
11-21-2012, 10:36 PM
That's funny I'll be making some Damascus for some putters in a few weeks.

Del don't waste your time I did a couple of blocks a few years ago and had putters milled out of them. Ended up giving them away could even get the price of a ping out of them.

brainsausage
11-21-2012, 11:28 PM

Hmmm... I guess I shouldn't balk, as I've been known to spend hundreds of dollars on vintage comic books... But still... Aren't you supposed to die before you're art is worth anything???!!!

AFKitchenknivesguy
11-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Hmmm... I guess I shouldn't balk, as I've been known to spend hundreds of dollars on vintage comic books... But still... Aren't you supposed to die before you're art is worth anything???!!!

No doubt, but thats normal people like ourselves. The people that buy this are likely so wealthy it's just a drop in the bucket. That's insane money to you or I, even if it is art. Then again, I am happy with a print and a perfectly cooked steak in front of me.

brainsausage
11-22-2012, 12:33 AM
No doubt, but thats normal people like ourselves. The people that buy this are likely so wealthy it's just a drop in the bucket. That's insane money to you or I, even if it is art. Then again, I am happy with a print and a perfectly cooked steak in front of me.

Well said my friend, well said. I'm happy with my Marko handled Watanabe, and my 5.5 grade Fantastic Four #48 dammit!

marc4pt0
11-22-2012, 01:07 AM
I am sure there are more than a few of us who may have gotten into knives because of this marketing. I for one am one of them. While I have no desire to own a Kramer custom, I am more than happy owning a couple of ZK. The search for more info on Kramer led me here and for that I am infinitely grateful because my eyes were opened to this world. Now, I have a bunch of great makers to choose from.

This is EXACTLY the same way I stumbled upon this website myself. I do dig some of Kramer's knives and have a couple of his spin offs. And through searching and researching His knives,I found this fantastic forum and have learned so much more in these past few months just by being a member here.
But i will say the carving fork is a bit hokey looking..

Crothcipt
11-22-2012, 01:11 AM
The fork looks like a tine is bent. Not sure if it's meant to look that way or what.

WillC
11-22-2012, 04:13 AM
I'm not liking the fork either, its Fugly:laugh: But what do I know if someone paid all that money for it.
I suppose its just like stocks and shares, people want in at whatever cost - beyond the reasonable value of the goods. Out of interest was this an ebay auction by someone selling it on, or one of Kramer's own?

Lukas
11-22-2012, 05:30 AM
I'd love if someone did a business case about Kramer knives, I was checking out his "press" section and his knives are shown in a high circulation magazine almost monthly; in December 11 he has articles in Inc. Magazine, Maxim, Men's journal, Bon appetit and men's health! Does anyone know if he has some PR agency, maybe s Zwilling?.

scott6452
11-22-2012, 06:40 AM
Be interesting to see if any of our current knifemakers could get lucky with some good press and climb the ladder into kramers bubble. Speaking of that i wonder how he did become so sought after and what the prices of his very first knives were in comparison? Hmm maybe i better buy stuff from each of them just incase they do make it super big!?:laugh:

Cipcich
11-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Alternatively, the story could have been captioned, "another rich ******* buys overpriced stuff".
Where did he get the money and why didn't he do something useful with it?
Happy Thanksgiving.

chinacats
11-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Alternatively, the story could have been captioned, "another rich ******* buys overpriced stuff".
Where did he get the money and why didn't he do something useful with it?
Happy Thanksgiving.

:lol2:

Lefty
11-22-2012, 10:23 AM
I skipped past the middle pages of this thread, but I kinda hate the fork.

Crothcipt
11-22-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm not liking the fork either, its Fugly:laugh: But what do I know if someone paid all that money for it.
I suppose its just like stocks and shares, people want in at whatever cost - beyond the reasonable value of the goods. Out of interest was this an ebay auction by someone selling it on, or one of Kramer's own?

it was Kramer's own. At 1 hr. in it was at 10k when I looked.

ecchef
11-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Well, I guess the economic crisis is a myth.

knyfeknerd
11-22-2012, 09:16 PM
to quote tk59 "meh"

I got to handle mattrud's Kramer at ECG this year and wasn't really that excited about it.......
........until I actually handled it. I would say his is totally badass. Flawless, perfect, a functioning work of art for sure.
I also got to handle johnnychance's Rader(I think) slicer, which was so comparable in quality and aesthetics.
You really can't understand until you actually get to use one.
Kramer's knives are insanely expensive. I would love to know who is buying these 30,000$ plus blades and what in the hell they do with them!

Lefty
11-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Yeah, deep down I want one, and a Rader. To be honest, I've never even tried the Zeilling version, which I've read is damn close, and a great knife.

WillC
11-23-2012, 03:16 AM
Well at least the money is going to the Artist rather than someone playing stocks and shares with the work. Its inspiring to see a Craftsman getting rich for a change rather than some conceptual artist making things no-one really understands but is too afraid to look stupid by saying "Its just a pile of nonsense".
The man has the business ability or has had the right help though, that is for sure.

Bernoulli
12-04-2012, 12:53 AM
I find that the tines on my forks go too far into the roast as I slice. I think I'll modify one of my forks and see if it's an improvement on holding the roast the way I want it.

I think Bob Kramer was first mentioned in Cook's Illustrated. He was then on Charles Kuralt. Recently led off a new History Channel series on traditional crafts.

He has paid his dues - not that others haven't - and after years as a chef, knife sharpener and maker is reaping his just rewards. I have one of his basic tool steel chef's knives. It's performance is amazing. It holds an edge better than any knife I have owned and I've never used a knife as easy to control.

I'm sure that most of his customers now are investors.

rdm_magic
12-04-2012, 03:13 PM
As Jay-z always says - whats 50 grand to a n**** like me - please remind me

jmforge
12-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Another way of looking at it, especially compared to some collector knives, is at least Mr. Kramer is getting ALL of the money and not the guy who took delivery of an ordered knife at Blade and then flipped it immediately for double the money or more.
Well at least the money is going to the Artist rather than someone playing stocks and shares with the work. Its inspiring to see a Craftsman getting rich for a change rather than some conceptual artist making things no-one really understands but is too afraid to look stupid by saying "Its just a pile of nonsense".
The man has the business ability or has had the right help though, that is for sure.

El Pescador
12-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Del don't waste your time I did a couple of blocks a few years ago and had putters milled out of them. Ended up giving them away could even get the price of a ping out of them.

If you still have one, shoot me a pm.

keithsaltydog
12-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Be interesting to see if any of our current knifemakers could get lucky with some good press and climb the ladder into kramers bubble. Speaking of that i wonder how he did become so sought after and what the prices of his very first knives were in comparison? Hmm maybe i better buy stuff from each of them just incase they do make it super big!?:laugh:

Spoken like a true Scotsman wt. a gambling nature:thumbsup:

AFKitchenknivesguy
12-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Kramer is an example of what every industry CEO/Innovator/Investor/worker dreams of. He didn't invent kitchen knives, custom kitchen knives, and certainly didn't have a hostile takeover of the industry. He was in the right place, right time, and delivered the right goods to the desired audience. His popularity grew years after Food Network become popular, and home cooks were looking for something better than Macy's. He also came before the recession and people were willing to spend the money. Additionally, he knew the right people, had the right business sense, but still operated with integrity and excellence. Things I love about him is that he is humble, believes in his trade 100%, and is an awesome communicator. People that pay these prices are looking for art and have the means to do so. Luckily for us, we know that there are many great artists as well that put out just as good if not sometimes better knives. To sum it all up, it was a perfect storm and I don't see his success going away anytime soon.

WiscoNole
12-11-2012, 06:59 PM
I think the fork is great. It's not like I would ever use one for carving, so it would just be about looks for me.