View Full Version : How do you store them?

11-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Your knives that is. I just moved and am thinking about putting something in that can hold my knives and sharpening gear as well as sharpen on top of. looking for thoughts and ideas.

11-29-2012, 05:33 PM
I keep mine in the box they came with. just a wipe of oil if they will stay there for a while.

11-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Have serious humidity problem in my kitchen where temperature drops in the early morning causing micro- corrosion on the edges. That said, a few strokes on Cr2O3 will do.

11-29-2012, 06:19 PM
I remember Jon had a kitchen cart type thing in his apartment. He would sharpen on top by pushing it against a stable wall and then it had racks underneath it that could hold stones, bins, etc. That's what I'd want.

11-29-2012, 06:29 PM
I have small bookshelf with stones and knives/boxes, then some knives in boxes on another shelf, and some in my bag, and some in a drawer; I always seem to have knife in reach.

Line cooked
11-29-2012, 06:38 PM
I just bout a file cabinet for maps and/or blueprints at a salvage yard. The long term plan is to refinish it and make a base table height so it doubles as a work area. Similar to a nice craftsman or snapon tool box. I will do a work in progress once I get serious about the plan.

11-30-2012, 04:52 AM
I live in an old house built in the 1930's,sink has large areas on each side that have drain groves to the basin.I use a section of 2x4 (untreated wood)rag underneath & on top,gives the stone good height.17"piece of 2x4 let dry in sun,keep it in the garage.You can deburr wt. wood as well.

I like Magbloks for knives I'm using.Only stones not using in boxes.Keep active stones & diamond plates in a Tansu drawer.

11-30-2012, 02:02 PM
I have a dedicated drawer in my kitchen. Stones, boxes, knives I'm not currently using, and assorted knife related stuff ends up in under bed boxes where I can easily roll them out to quickly access whatever I need. Not the ideal arrangement, but I can't justify taking up valuable pantry space with all my knives. Such is the joy of living in a 1928 bungalow. I'd love one of those fancy walk in pantries I see in some of the newer houses in our extended neighborhood, but I can't quite figure out where to put one in our house. LOL

11-30-2012, 02:22 PM
I keep mine in assorted knife rolls/bags. I switch them out depending on what I know I will be doing that day for service/prepping while keeping a few staples. I keep the knife rolls that I'm not currently using safely tucked in the bottom of my closet wih padding surrounding them.

11-30-2012, 02:41 PM
On my 18" walnut mag-blok. My two stones/diamond plate stay in the drawer for easy access.

11-30-2012, 03:47 PM
make sure it's clean and dry, and oil it (make sure it's not food oil..... also not soaking in oil, but just thin coating)... also i find it useful to wrap carbon ones in rust resistant paper

12-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Cardboard and painter's tape saya, tsubaki oil. Even then I still sometimes get the orange plague.

12-01-2012, 03:28 AM
mechanic's tool chest, colin style. just get a lower cabinent, not the top half with the flip open top. then you can use the top as a sharpening area.

based on your collection, you will probably need something about this size (http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-75inch-15-drawers-roller-cabinet-black/p-00928189000P?vName=Storage+%26+Garage&cName=Tool+Storage&sName=Cabinets&prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=L3).