PDA

View Full Version : Asian market cleavers

Julian Nell
12-07-2012, 11:40 PM
Most of what chop are vegetables with some meat. I know that cleavers take some getting used to when coming from a standered chefs knife but I am fine with that.

I went to the local Asian market today in search of a veggie cleaver, I found a cleaver but have no idea if it is any good or not? My question is are most cleavers from Asian markets good, not great but they will hold a decent edge, and do a good job cutting some veggies for dinner?

The cleaver that I found looked like the CCK 1103 and was $20. On the blade it said "Miako's best"

over some Chinese writing.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers, Julian

tk59
12-08-2012, 12:20 AM
There are probably hundreds of these $20 cleaver makers. I have a couple. They work fine but there is no joy in the cutting. You must buy a high end knife... :)

slowtyper
12-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Most of what chop are vegetables with some meat. I know that cleavers take some getting used to when coming from a standered chefs knife but I am fine with that.

I went to the local Asian market today in search of a veggie cleaver, I found a cleaver but have no idea if it is any good or not? My question is are most cleavers from Asian markets good, not great but they will hold a decent edge, and do a good job cutting some veggies for dinner?

The cleaver that I found looked like the CCK 1103 and was $20. On the blade it said "Miako's best"

over some Chinese writing.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers, Julianits a good one. It's probably what would have been recommended if you asked first. Curious, where are you located?

Colorado_cutter
12-08-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm sort of fond of cheap cleavers myself. Whether or not this particular one will be good for you depends on several variables. Is it carbon or stainless? Is it a "slicer" type, or one of the heavier ones? Does the blade have a lot of belly, or is it more flat.

I used a cheap stainless 185mm x 75mm cleaver as my main knife for quite a while. I think I liked it just because I'm partial to cleavers and have spend a lot of time in China and cook a lot of Chinese food. But when I got a CCK 1303, I liked it a lot better- it was a bit bigger at 215mm x 90mm, it had a flatter edge, and the carbon steel seemed a lot easier to get quite sharp. The stainless cleaver I had just didn't have much board contact, what with the shorter edge and more rocker. I still haven't figured out what my ideal size cleaver is, but so far I've been partial to thin ones with flat edges, made from carbon steel. But for $20, there isn't much to lose in trying the one in your local place to see how you like it.

Julian Nell
12-08-2012, 01:11 AM
Slowtyper, I am located in Kansas City, Missouri. The Asian market is in the City market, a place close the the river with alot of good food.

Julian Nell
12-08-2012, 01:20 AM
Colorado_cutter, I haven't seen a CCK 1103 in person only on **** but from what I saw the profiles were almost identical I have no idea if it is stainless or not but I am going to think about it and $20 is nothing if it turns out to be good.

Another thing that I would like to ask, is sharpening a cleaver pretty similar to sharpening a chef's knife or something of that size? I have never sharpened a knife and I think that a cheap cleaver would be a good practice knife but will the skill transfer over?

Thanks for all the help and any rather help given.

Cheers, Julian

chinacats
12-08-2012, 01:26 AM
Another thing that I would like to ask, is sharpening a cleaver pretty similar to sharpening a chef's knife or something of that size? I have never sharpened a knife and I think that a cheap cleaver would be a good practice knife but will the skill transfer over?

I find cleavers some of the easiest knives to sharpen...I think that with the larger size it is easier for beginners to keep at a fairly constant angle.
:2cents:

Julian Nell
12-08-2012, 02:00 AM
That's good to know. Thanks chinacats.

Cheers, Julian

Crothcipt
12-08-2012, 02:25 AM
Slowtyper, I am located in Kansas City, Missouri. The Asian market is in the City market, a place close the the river with alot of good food.

Know the place well. Used to manage at River Market Brewery. I miss that market always was fun to walk around.

Julian Nell
12-08-2012, 02:54 AM
My family and I used to go down there get some minsky's pizza and walk around.

Cheers, Julian

Julian Nell
12-08-2012, 02:25 PM
I hope I didn't break a rule by posting the name of were the CCK is sold.

Cheers, Julian

keithsaltydog
12-08-2012, 07:44 PM
CCK's are sold all over they have them in chinatown here as well.

Julian Nell
12-08-2012, 08:09 PM
I just meant, what I think is, the usual place that people buy them.

Julian Nell
12-09-2012, 02:31 PM
I am going to go look at the cleaver again, and was wondering what I should look for to see if it's worth getting?

Most of the box was in Chinese which means there is a limited amount of info that I can get from that.

Thanks for any help.