PDA

View Full Version : HHH Custom Knives, 240 Suji. Damascus and Musk OX horn

HHH Knives
12-15-2012, 08:00 PM
Hey guys and gals. Its been a very busy time of the year as you well know. Anyone with a order on the books. I want ya to know we are working as quickly as possible to get to your knife. :) It seems the time between Turkey day and Christmas gets shorter and shorter with every passing year.

I love Christmas and have enjoyed lots of Christmas music and cookies, and decorations so far. I am looking forward to Santa arriving and a nice family dinner. etc

I hope you all have a VERY MERRY Christmas.

God Bless.
Randy

240mm Tribal pattern damascus Suji.
Features Musk ox horn and koa hanlde. Mosaic pin and stainless pins. rounded spine and relieved choil.

Crothcipt
12-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Very nice.

kalaeb
12-15-2012, 08:34 PM
That is some great handle work! I mean the whole knife is awesome....but the handle is the cherry on top.

apicius9
12-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Another beautiful piece. Wasn't sure about the red liners at first, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. One day you may even convince me that I need a damascus knife ;)

Stefan

Josh
12-15-2012, 11:26 PM
:bigeek:

JohnnyChance
12-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Handsome.

Red liners have been done to death and frankly I can't stand them anymore, but this one looks great. Best handle with red liners I have seen in a year+.

quantumcloud509
12-16-2012, 04:15 AM
Handle is beautiful.

HHH Knives
12-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Morning guys. Thanks much for checkin out the post!

God Bless YA!
Randy

HHH Knives
12-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Handsome.

Red liners have been done to death and frankly I can't stand them anymore, but this one looks great. Best handle with red liners I have seen in a year+.

Thanks Johnny, I dont normally do alot of red liners, But this one said Red would be best. So I listened to the materials and combined the red with a bit of black and well. It worked out and really does work with this combination. :)

I bought a bunch of RED materials when I was working with B&B for there knives. Now I will have red liner material for at least 10 more years if and when I choose to use it! lol

I will try and get a good choil shot and spine shot to add to this post.

God Bless YA.
Randy

WildBoar
12-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Another stunner. That handle may even top Radar's work!

HHH Knives
12-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks David. Thats a HUGE complement. I have always looked at Raders handles and been blown away by them. He has a great style and very fine fit and finish! I appreciate the complement!

keithsaltydog
12-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Randy I really like your handles,not only because they look amazing,the shaping looks to be very comfortable.

HHH Knives
12-26-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks Keith. :)

keithsaltydog
12-28-2012, 05:00 AM
Pardon my lack of knowledge,but that Musk Ox horn looks incredible,it must just dance in the light.How do you achieve a marble effect,is part of the horn stripped away before it is shaped & polished.Do these animal horns,bones etc. need to be stabilized like wood?Do you sand it like wood,or is it a science where you approch diff. materials wt. diff. tech?

Sorry for all the questions,I'm just amazed how you seem to combine diff. materials wt. such great results.

HHH Knives
12-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Keith. Thanks for the question.

Musk of horn as I get it is a raw material, and comes to me looking nothing like a knife handle we have come to know and love. I start with a whole horn. and from that horn there is a section called the Boss. and its the area right next to the skull. In large Bull Musk ox these grow larger.. These are the pieces that are used for making handles that look like this.

The Boss section is a weird rounded on one side and pointy on the other piece that presents very unique challenges when cutting. From a horn that weighs approx 10 lbs. after all the processing and cutting. you might get 1 lb of usable material of various sizes. Thats why this material is about the highest price handle material we use. It ends up costing more then mammoth ivory etc.

Sanding the material and stabilizing is a trick and takes some time and effort. after its cut. Stabilizing So making it stable are a trick in itself. But it sands like any other horn. and stinks even worst then most!

Bottom line, When everything goes just right, and you get to the final finishing place on this material. It polishes and looks like NOTHING else you can use. Its ere decent and shiny, and smooth and deep figure that catches light and shines like well. Again I can describe it all day and until you have some finished out in hand, you just will never really know how amazing it is. Because pictures only begin to tell the story.

Thanks for lookin
Randy

keithsaltydog
12-30-2012, 02:58 PM
Very cool thanks,it makes appreciating you work & knowledge even more.

HHH Knives
12-30-2012, 05:28 PM
My pleasure Keith. Im always willing to try and help others or share this with anyone who is interested and wanting to learn. I am proud of the knowledge and experience I have acquired. Most through trial and error. But none the less.

Thanks for the follow up comment.

Happy new Year to you all and may God Bless you and yours!
Randy

Chefget
01-06-2013, 02:33 AM
Really like the different pins in the handle...

...and that musk ox horn...I can almost feel it in hand.........wow

-Michael

HHH Knives
01-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks Chef. This one really had a great feel. and the balance and action on the board was fantastic!