WIP (pics) - Making a Strop/DMT Plate Base
This project turned out to take more time than I thought, so I would like to ask you for a little bit of your patience and to apologize for missing the latest deadline. The good news is I am almost there. I like how the bases turned out.
I put together a WIP to show what it takes to make a base from a raw lumber to a finished product.
The process is as following:
- Flattening Wood on a Joiner (in the pictures it's maple for magnetic strips)
- Resawing into planks
- Squaring planks
- Cutting strips into base blanks
- Marking blanks
- Chamfering edges
- Removing wood to recess a plate
- Chamfering bottom (for a comfortable hand grip and for look)
- Sealing wood with Tru-Oil (several applications with steel wool sanding in-between)
- Finish with hand-applied Poly or spray Lacquer
- Join the surface of magnetic backing and felt with contact cement
- Cut to size