Another cheap western - conversion & re-handle
The third instalment in my "cheap westerns" series :wink: This one was a really worn out petty/utility that I've converted to a nice paring for the missus. This knife served many years duty as a gardening knife and, as you can see from the 'before' pic below, it was pretty clapped out - the profile was concave at the edge, the metal itself was scratched up and nasty and the handle, well better left unsaid. Really wanted to do a nice handle on paring for my wife so decided to see what I could do with this. I think it turned out pretty nice! On with the pics.
Marking out the new profile - wasn't sure how to long to make it so two possible profiles marked out. I decided to go with the longer profile (which I made a fraction shorter at the refining/polishing stage):
New profile ground in:
Scales prepared - claret ash, Australian stringy bark for the ferrule and white G10 spacers:
Handle shaped and ready for finishing:
Finished product (with homemade mosaic pin). It's a bit hard to see but the copper pins at the back of the handle are made from the cores of two different gauges of electrical wire :biggrin:
I feel that this one is an improvement over the last two re-handles in so many ways, but as always, C&C are welcome. Have at it!