Board Design & Material Choices
Looking for some feedback, suggestions, idea, concepts, considerations etc.
I've recently made some alterations to our kitchen, SWMBO was the task master, and against my better judgement we ended up losing some valuable counter / prep area.
I have a relatively large kitchen area so space is not a problem.
Whilst looking at options I hit on the notion of building either a wide butchers block or perhaps two side by side butchers blocks.
Some ideas I've tossed around:
- The top will have two removable custom chopping boards
- I've been toying with / considering a combination of Maple and Purpleheart - any thoughts or comments?
- I intend putting heavy duty castors on the piece to provide portability of the unit / units
- I'm looking at the idea of have a detachable "chute system" to the side of each of the boards leading to a collector bag / bin. The build up of peelings / skins waste matter is a pain - when prepping veg its nice to have a collecting bin for offcuts for use in making stock and so on.
- Underneath the chopping boards I'm considering installing some storage space for utensils and gadgets and perhaps some "other" stuff
Would love to get any feedback suggestions thoughts or ideas that anyone has to offer.
I'll probably make this a 2 / 3 month summer project - so I'm in no hurry to complete.
I have reasonable woodworking skills, a shed where I can work and leave fairly large pieces of WIP, & lots and lots of hand tools.
I also have access to full workshop facilities - a good friend of mine teaches at a woodworking college so everything from morticers to planer/thicknessers, spindles, drum and belt sanders, table saws, band saws etc. etc are available to me on an advance notice basis.
Look forward to reading your thoughts, ideas and input.