Catcheside Cutlery 2012 pre-order profiles and options.
Hello all i'm pleased to announce my profiles and options for pre-orders in 2012. :biggrin:
I have worked from the profiles of the damascus Petty/Suji and Gyuto, I recently finished.
I have also drawn a flatter version of each profile. And an extra profile for the Gyuto working to a customers request for a Masamoto type profile but deeper at the back.
240mm Gyuto Profiles.
1. Is the profile used on my W's pattern Gyuto and the mono-steel/amboyna I have made recently.
2. Follows the shape of the Masamoto tip, except it is deeper at the back than Masamoto at 55mm.
3. Is a Flatter version of the profile with a lower tip.
300mm Suji profiles.
1. Matches my recent W's pattern Suji profile.
2. Has a lower tip, flatter profile and curved transition from spine to tip.
180mm Petty Profiles.
1. Matches the w's Damascus Petty
2. Slightly Flatter/lower tip version.
I'm hoping these will be a starting point to tweak for each custom order.
I would love to hear feedback on the profiles even if you are not in the market for a knife at the moment.
In terms of Grind and thickness/taper. I'm over the moon with the examples I have done in damascus. I believe there is a nice balance of convexity and thinness which performs. The only change I would like to make is to go slightly thicker on the spine above the choil but have the taper just as dramatic as on the example pieces. I will add target thicknesses later.
I am planning three different steel options.
Mono-steel in 01
Blue paper 2 core with simple damascus cladding.
Full Mosaic damascus in en42j and 75ni8.
Same high quality fit and finish on all knives.
Handle options are wa only. Standard pricing includes a choice of stabilized wood spacers and blackwood ferrules. And take it from there if upgrades are requested in terms of Damascus end caps or some of the very pricey woods/Mammoth etc.
Prices are now up on my blog here
I would like to thank you all for your help here and look forward to making some superb kitchen knives for you in 2012.
Have a great New year everyone.:D