2011 has had many ups and downs for me, so I am glad it is over and look forward to a fresh start - literally, today (going to heat treat a few knives and grind one).
I am planning to organize my time better (work time and family obligations), so I have more time for fun stuff - making knives and accessories and cooking. Hopefully, 2012 will be a very productive year.
Happy 2012 everybody!
Happy New Year, Marko!
May 2012 be a great year for you and yours.
Thanks Rick -
I wish you a great year as well.
Happy New Year, Marko! and much success
To Come in 2012
Thanks guys, I wish you the same!
Yes, I hope it will be an interesting and a productive year. There are many things I would like to do (brief summary below), so I have to think hard how to make it happen.
- A few new types of knives (true) single-beveled and double-beveled (yanagi, honesuki, a new profile for a Western handle gyuto, Western handle knives option, etc)
- New Heat Treatment method (for carbon and stainless)
- 3 new steels (carbon and 2 stainless) and on lookout for more
- Resume woodworking - boards, storage and other accessories (miss woodworking)
- Possibly new workshop space (better setup, but mainly to get out of a basement where humidity is an issue in the summer)
- Improve efficiency and to introduce ready-made knives in addition to custom-made (one only way to stay competitive).
If all these happen in 2012 to the extend I envision, it would be a very productive year.
Hmm. Does that mean handles and sayas will be available again?
Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan
Probably not, but won't hurt to ask. I would make exception for some knives that I have a soft spot for and some of mine customers.
To be able to offer custom sayas and handles reasonably priced, I would need to hire somebody and train him as I don't have time to do this myself (between knife-making and some upcoming accessories-making). These would be separately branded and priced accordingly, but would be made to my specs and quality (I will oversee all of that). It's not in the plans at the moment, but would not exclude it as a possibility in not so a distant future. I have been getting a lot of requests and unfortunately, turning them down. So this might be a way to address it.
Happy New Year and best of luck with your future endeavors, Marko!
Happy New Year Marko!!
I wish I took advantage of your wook working before you started down the knife route. Just too new to knives.