Another Thrift Store Rescue

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pabloz

Reaction score
So I'm cruising through my usual thrift store and this carving set is still there after about three months. OK, maybe they're junk but I've looked at em a dozen times before and I'm thoroughly convinced this is genuine stag or antler. I'm ashamed to post what I paid cause y'all will think "what a cheap ass!!!"
Anyway I decided to buy them and bring em home. A little clean up and "Sterling" appears under some grunge. I'm thinking "cool....not a total loss." then I send a few pics to a friend in Taos and he thinks that they are Paul Revere originals...."NO WAY!!!!" He says the double scrolls with the acanthus in between was a common Revere pattern and that lots of Revere work was not marked due to name exploitation and direct copying...."SO that means they could be original or copies"..."yup" he says "but either way these are big bucks."
Anyone here familiar with Revere work? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Set.jpg

Heel.jpg

THANKS in advance,

PZ

quite the pick up Revere Ware or not!

Big difference between it being Paul Revere original and Revere Ware (couple hundred years, tens of thousands of dollars, famous revolutionary figure versus modern brand owned by Corelle). Hell even if they are a decent copy from the period I'm sure they would be worth a bunch. Either way seems alot to get excited about just because it has some interesting scroll work. Take it to a reputable antique dealer to get it checked out, or wait till antique roadshow comes to town. Either way good luck!!!

there should be some proofmarks regardless of whether he signed them or not. people wanted guaranties of what they were buying. Here's a sampling of the 5000 silver objects made in Revere's shop:

2479 pieces of Flatware (mostly spoons) - 410 before the war (1761-1783) and 2069 after the war (1783-1797)

64 Teapots (some with stands) - 15 (1761-1783); 49 (1783-1797)

60 Creamers (creampots) - 23 (1761-1783); 37 (1783-1797)

89 Canns - 56 (1761-1783); 33 (1783-1797)

50 Sugar Tongs - 16 (1761-1783); 34 (1783-1797)

400 Buckles (mostly pairs) - approximately 201 (1761-1783) and 199 (1783-1797)

30 Porringers - 20 (1761-1783); 10 (1783-1797)

30 Ladles - 11 (1761-1783); 25 (1783-1797)

How expensive was Revere's silver?

Paul Revere's income fluctuated from year to year. Before the Revolution, it was as high as 294 pounds or as low as 11 pounds. As a successful master craftsman and shop owner, his average annual income was 85 pounds per year. A journeyman might earn 40-45 pounds per year, while a laborer in Boston would be lucky to take home 30 pounds with steady work.

In the early 1760s, a laborer earning 30 pounds per year might be able to afford a child's spoon for 8 shillings or a pair of silver knee buckles for 6 shillings 8 pence but not a coffee pot, worth over 17 pounds, or a large tray worth 19 pounds 6 shillings. In this period, before buying his home in North Square, Paul Revere paid 16 pounds for an entire year's rent on a house.

A small creamer, called a creampot in Revere's daybooks, cost 2 pounds, 2 shillings and 3 pence in 1762. At the same time, a teapot with a wooden handle, probably much like the one he is holding in the portrait by John Singleton Copley, cost 10 pounds, 16 shillings and 8 pence. In 1763, 6 teaspoons cost 9 shillings, while a pair of silver canns cost 3 pounds 6 shillings and 8 pence, and a pair of porringers to the same client cost 1 pound 6 shillings and 8 pence. Ten years later, in 1782, Revere charged 9 pounds and 12 shillings for a teapot and 2 pounds 3 shillings for a pair of shoe buckles.

Revere's Maker's Marks

Authentic silver made in Paul Revere's shop, whether crafted by the patriot himself or by one of his apprentices or journeymen, almost always bears one of his maker's marks. The mark served to identify the silver and to insure its quality.

Revere's marks featured either his surname "REVERE" in a rectangle, used on larger items, or his initials "PR" in italic or block letters, used on smaller items such as teaspoons. Since the mark was impressed into the metal, struck with a die, the lettering appears slightly raised. Revere also used some of his father's marks. Items made early in his career are often marked "P REVERE" while later marks bear his full surname with or without a pellet before it ("REVERE"). The surname mark is approximately 7/16" wide and 1/16-3/16" high.

Although there appears to be some variety among these known marks, Paul Revere did not mark his work using his signature, other numbers or letters, or with a picture of a horse and rider or a patriot's head. Any silver marked in this way was not made in Revere's shop. Revere also did not work in pewter.

Paul Revere also worked in gold, which is why he called himself a "Goldsmith." He made and repaired small items such as jewelry. There is no known marked jewelry made by Revere although several rings have survived which are attributed to him. The jewelry was too small to bear the marks that were used on the silver.

Be nice if they were, someone here needs to catch a break. good luck, brother.

I have seen many like this around here. I think a aunt still owns some. But they were what seemed (from memory) like plastic. Hope they are some of Revere's work. Either way nice snag.

While new to collecting Cutlery & Kitchen knives (few years) I have 20+ years of dealing in Silver objects.

This carving knife and fork are quality American work circa 1880-1900. Stag antler handles with silver

collar. American silver wasn't marked STERLING until the first part of the 1860s (earliest) and since Paul

Revere died in 1818 none of his silver was marked STERLING. I realize this is an old post but hope its

helpful for new users.

Brother Pabloz,

If you do not mind take photos of any proof marks , symbols, etchings, & Ect that are on "Both" the Fork & Knife I have a Very Extensive Knife Collector's Reference slection to match them against and will help you out to the "Best of My Ability" to determine what you have Brother .

Blessings & Best Regards

Back